Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMS-20 - Too cool to pass up?

Now that Korg is having their summer sale, is this app worth getting? I tend to work with realistic sounding stuff rather than synths (although i do have iM1 and iWavestation). Is it worth having, just to play with the interface?

-Scarlet Jerry

Comments

• I love it. Very faithful to the original, though the learning curve is a little steep if you're not familiar with the routing.

• Doesn't it have MIDI issues?

• @8BitSamurai said:
    I love it. Very faithful to the original, though the learning curve is a little steep if you're not familiar with the routing.

Plus a great sequencer to top the deal.

• Never made any sense of it. Would definitely buy it again. Why? Well it's an MS-20 near as dammit

• @cian said:
    Doesn't it have MIDI issues?

Can't get it to work in BM3. But as it was my first hardware, and iOS synth still have a soft spot for it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@cian said:

Can't get it to work in BM3. But as it was my first hardware, and iOS synth still have a soft spot for it.

Works here (in an audio, not midi slot).

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@cian said:

Works here (in an audio, not midi slot).

Haven't tried that, it's an issue with quite a few Korg apps though, but Samu says they're on the case.

• Korg is always so silent and mysterious. Why not have all their apps set up the same?

• because they started at very different points of the IOS timeline ;)
    Their red iElectribe on iPad One sold me to IOS music potential immediately, and it's still a great seller for Korg B)

• @vpich said:
    Korg is always so silent and mysterious. Why not have all their apps set up the same?

Big company, lots of locations, departments, and competing priorities. It's a machine, and that machine's purpose is to make money. There's a circuit in that machine that optimizes effort against the revenue it thinks it will produce. Right or wrong, the machine doesn't think the equation makes sense. It has no heart only a brain. Welcome to the machine my friend.

• So my will is weak and I just picked this up as I'd been eyeing it for awhile. I can definitely see that there's a learning curve, but I'm digging the sounds.

I have to jump on the bus here and agree that Korg should really update these apps. I don't care so much about the AU thing, but Ableton Link would make this and iPolysix so much more useable. Maybe I just have to accept the fact that Korg, much like Native Instruments, just doesn't play well with others.

Either way, I dig the app. Now I DEFINITELY have way too many synths.

• Hasn't been updated since late 2015. It's 64 bit so it will work with iOS 11 but it's still more or less self-contained.

But look at the patch panel, run the Headphone Out to the Ext. input and the Ext. BandPass Out back to the Ext. Input. Crank up the volume and muck about with the filters (all FOUR of them) and enjoy your money well spent.

• never did this on the iMS20, but it's more or less my own first synth I built as a schoolboy, abusing a tube radio feeding the external speaker back into it's record player input with a bunch of coils and capacitors in between. o:)

• @scarletjerry said:
    Now that Korg is having their summer sale, is this app worth getting? I tend to work with realistic sounding stuff rather than synths (although i do have iM1 and iWavestation). Is it worth having, just to play with the interface?

-Scarlet Jerry

It's worth having just to load up and look at. It makes me calm, and in this crazy world... well, it's what the doctor would recommend. The sounds are awesome. I love it, despite it's only got Wist and midi in... and Audiobus.
    I use it mainly for making rhythms. The caossilator x/y panel modulates the sound and you can make your synth sing... Song mode, looks difficult, but is easy after 1/2 hour tinkering. I love it. Check out YouTube.
    Hope it helps.

• edited July 2017

I consider it a Yeoman, required by every army, even if he sleeps snoring in the corner most of the time...but, yeah, Link.

• Well, that convinces me to get it. Thanks everyone!

-Scarlet Jerry

• I am a little cash strapped right now but I may see if I can swing this for one reason - I just finished up my yearly shutterwax sessions in Maine and my bandmates' oldest son got an ms-20 mini this year for his birthday and it was so much fun playing with it. He has an amazing affinity for patching this synth and we began sketching out a tune together with it. It is a bit of a confusing interface, so it would be fun to practice on it so when I see him next we can really have fun with it.

By the way, check his stuff out, he's 15 and has 2 albums done already (mostly in garageband on Mac, he is a wizard on that and plays everything live except the drums, where he sometimes uses loops).

https://transgalacticexpress.bandcamp.com

• Is the sequencer/song composer in this exactly like the one in iPolysix?

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

@JonLewis said:
    Is the sequencer/song composer in this exactly like the one in iPolysix?

No, totally different.
    iMS-20

iPolysix

• Ah so ims-20 looks like it operates more like magellan's sequencer. Thanks.

• Does someone know how to find or import new presets ? I see some presets of 2016 in the list but i don't know how they have been here ...I mean i have nothing in the presets browser, are they stocked online ?

• Does it have midi clock in ? Anyone ?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Does it have midi clock in ? Anyone ?

Pretty sure no. It has Wist. They need to add Link and they promised that for iPolySix bit still haven't got around to it.

• Doing some pattern composing in iPolysix, it's a shame they can't implement this 64 step sequencer for ims-20. I'd buy the latter if it had that.

• There is a book of settings for the MS 20 that Korg makes.. I suppose if one copied them and applied, that would go a long way toward learning it.