Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SUICIDE: LINKIN PARK SINGER

--so sad.

Mental health is neglected as a medical crisis.

Wake up world.

Comments

• https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Suicide

In case you or a family member have any concerns of your own.

There is help available.

• Very sad, and when this happens with someone successful like this, it hammers home the fact that it can happen to absolutely anyone.

• Why would he do this to his family friends and fans
    I FEEL SO NUMB

• Another one gone, sad. Money and beeing famous doesn´t help always. No one can know what´s going on in the mind of others. Sure is, no one does this without a reason or beeing really depressed of life.
    Yes, just sad.

• @Shazamm said:
    Why would he do this to his family friends and fans
    I FEEL SO NUMB

I get it in a moment of self pity and self hatred you(I) can feel hopeless.

But this so hostile......?

• @Cib said:
    Another one gone, sad. Money and beeing famous doesn´t help always. No one can know what´s going on in the mind of others. Sure is, no one does this without a reason or beeing really depressed of life.
    Yes, just sad.

Very sad.

I am like many others, I get hung up on what I don't have.

Why I don't have it.

And then I see this and realize things are just things and house size doesn't mean all that much in the big pic.

• It just reminds me to keep a light out there for any of my friends who may be in that dark place.

I've seen the strongest people fall into the despair of depression. Been there to some degree myself. While friends helped me back from the edge, sometimes people can genuinely see death as a peaceful end to their suffering - it's at these times its hardest for family and friends to see any problems, as people often seem to lighten in mood before a serious attempt is made.

The only thing we can do is all try to make life easier for those around us and then hopefully less people will get so close to the edge in the first place

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    It just reminds me to keep a light out there for any of my friends who may be in that dark place.

I've seen the strongest people fall into the despair of depression. Been there to some degree myself. While friends helped me back from the edge, sometimes people can genuinely see death as a peaceful end to their suffering - it's at these times its hardest for family and friends to see any problems, as people often seem to lighten in mood before a serious attempt is made.

The only thing we can do is all try to make life easier for those around us and then hopefully less people will get so close to the edge in the first place

The damn black dog.

It is a struggle at times.

• @RustiK said:

@Shazamm said:
    I FEEL SO NUMB

Why do you feel the need to be the arbiter of what a proper response is? Everyone has their opinion based on life experiences and learnings. No need to judge.

• I know a lot about that black pit. It's a terrible place to be. And no one seems to understand how deep it is, and what's going on. It's hard to talk about it.

• In my case I'm not sure that contemplating suicide is even remotely comparable to being suicidal. I've definitely considered it, in the past, but never crossed toward the line.

As a long-term addict there were tons of times when the line between self-destruction and suicide became blurry. I'm glad every day that I pulled out of that nose-dive.

A Sharon Van Etten song about the difficulty of talking someone out of it.

• @robertreynolds said:

@RustiK said:

@Shazamm said:
    I FEEL SO NUMB

Why do you feel the need to be the arbiter of what a proper response is? Everyone has their opinion based on life experiences and learnings. No need to judge.

I mean SUICIDE IS HOSTILE.............

That is what we were talking about.

• My bad, I'm sorry. I totally misunderstood.

• @robertreynolds said:
    My bad, I'm sorry. I totally misunderstood.

No worries.

If I may, I find suicide(Linkin Park singer) to be a hostile act of aggression to everyone in a person's life.

• edited July 2017

Media always talk about drug addiction, depression as it was a personal problem but they don't want to see that the music industry (the big Hollywood record labels) is the real problem ! So much singers died last years .Ok drugs and mental illness are one point , but don't tell me this job is innocent of all those victims ! Reread the Society of Spectacle of Guy Debord or Vernon Subutex of Virginie Despentes ...RIP :(

• @grego68 said:
    Media always talk about drug addiction, depression as it was a personal problem but they don't want to see that the music industry (the big Hollywood record labels) is the real problem ! So much singers died last years .Ok drugs and mental illness are one point , but don't tell me this job is innocent of all those victims ! Reread the Society of Spectacle of Guy Debord or Vernon Subutex of Virginie Despentes ...RIP :(

Damn you Alex Bleach.

• edited July 2017

@RustiK said:

@grego68 said:

Damn you Alex Bleach.

:smiley: Sex, drugs and RNR and the ace of spades ...

• edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2017

@Max23 said:
    Suicide is hostile.
    3 of my old friends killed themselfs.
    But it's also a good warning,
    if you experienced that you don't kill yourself because you know what this does to other people...
    and come on you do drugs to yourself ...

Celebrity and Suicide sucks :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124845/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465733/

Journalism codes

Various countries have national journalism codes which range from one extreme of, "Suicide and attempted suicide should in general never be given any mention" (Norway) to a more moderate, "In cases of suicide, publishing or broadcasting information in an exaggerated way that goes beyond normal dimensions of reporting with the purpose of influencing readers or spectators should not occur." The study's author, University of London psychologist Alex Mesoudi, recommends that reporters follow the sort of guidelines the World Health Organization and others endorse for coverage of any suicide: Use extreme restraint in covering these deaths—keep the word "suicide" out of the headline, don't romanticize the death, and limit the number of stories.[22] Photography, pictures, visual images or film depicting such cases should not be made public" (Turkey).[23] While many countries do not have national codes, media outlets still often have in-house guidelines along similar lines. In the United States, there are no industry-wide standards. A survey of in-house guides of 16 US daily newspapers showed that only three mentioned the word suicide, and none gave guidelines about publishing the method of suicide. Craig Branson, online director of the American Society of News Editors (ASNE), has been quoted as saying, "Industry codes are very generic and totally voluntary. Most ethical decisions are left to individual editors at individual papers. The industry would fight any attempt to create more specific rules or standards, and editors would no doubt ignore them."[23] Guidelines on the reporting of suicides in Ireland were introduced recently which attempt to remove any positive connotations the act might have (e.g. using the term "completed" rather than "successful" when describing a suicide attempt which resulted in a death).[citation needed]

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's journalistic standards and practices manual discourages the reporting of the details of suicide.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Very sad. As a social worker I have been there with people who are feeling desperate and its a tough place to be. It is important for everyone to know that even if it feels totally hopeless there are people who care about you, even if not immediately obvious.

And if anyone here is feeling that way, don't be afraid to reach out for help. I've never been suicidal (though I won't say that in tough times there were never brief moments where I wondered) but I have had to reach out for help in both physical and mental health and asking for help can be so difficult. I have been learning that knowing your own strengths, weaknesses, and limits, then asking for help is actually a sign of strength.

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

It's easy to think of suicide as being cruel and unfair to others (family and friends), and there are probably many cases where it is some kind of revenge, but in my experience (personal and with acquaintances), most people have been so consumed with their own misery that they either don't realize this, or sincerely feel that everyone would be better off without them in the world.

I had a friend who opened up to me about his growing obsession with the idea. Having gone through a mild bout of that myself a year before, I could totally symphathize. As gently as I could I pointed out to him the tremendous and permanent hurt that he would do to his family and friends. It was like a light went on in his thinking. He is a hugely caring family guy, but quite literally had never thought about the harm this would do. It helped him to realize that taking the "easy" way out was completely unfair. It helped him out of it and he's been OK ever since.

I mention this all in case it helps anyone else. Also, while taking one's life is cruel and unfair to everyone else, being overwhelmed with the feeling can completely block the realization of that. I was fortunate enough (in a very sad way) to have seen the fallout of an acquaintance's suicide, so that image never left me as I descended into my own (mild) version of that pit, and it is what kept me from descending too far.

• I saw them once as preshow of Pearl Jam

• @wim said:
    It's easy to think of suicide as being cruel and unfair to others (family and friends), and there are probably many cases where it is some kind of revenge, but in my experience (personal and with acquaintances), most people have been so consumed with their own misery that they either don't realize this, or sincerely feel that everyone would be better off without them in the world.

I had a friend who opened up to me about his growing obsession with the idea. Having gone through a mild bout of that myself a year before, I could totally symphathize. As gently as I could I pointed out to him the tremendous and permanent hurt that he would do to his family and friends. It was like a light went on in his thinking. He is a hugely caring family guy, but quite literally had never thought about the harm this would do. It helped him to realize that taking the "easy" way out was completely unfair. It helped him out of it and he's been OK ever since.

I mention this all in case it helps anyone else. Also, while taking one's life is cruel and unfair to everyone else, being overwhelmed with the feeling can completely block the realization of that. I was fortunate enough (in a very sad way) to have seen the fallout of an acquaintance's suicide, so that image never left me as I descended into my own (mild) version of that pit, and it is what kept me from descending too far.

Very wise perspective and compassionate conclusions there.
    I am also very uncomfortable with the idea that suicides are cowardly or hostile.

• I don’t know if this post will help anyone or not. On the outside chance that it will help someone avoid suicide I’m going to go ahead.

There are probably some misconceptions going on here. I’m not much of an arguer though, so I’m not going to clear things up other than to say that suicide involves a whole lot more than hostility.

When I was a kid my original family was destroyed by a car wreck. I was too young to deal with it sensibly, and by the time I would have been old enough to process it, it was already far enough in the past that it didn’t seem to be an issue. I didn’t get around to dealing with it all. Looking back on it now I can see that it was more or less like a bomb ticking away inside me.

My biggest problem was self-hatred. I will say that self-hatred obviously seems to be a form of hostility, but I’ve never directed hostility toward anyone else. One thing that kept me away from suicide is that I didn’t want to hurt anyone else.

The thing pushing me toward suicide is that I absolutely wanted to destroy myself. That probably had a lot to do with getting into addictions. A lot of the time drugs felt like a slow-motion form of suicide that still let me live to do it all over again the next day. I hated myself, so self-destruction seemed like a good way to make myself feel bad.

I was determined. I was continuously drugged every single minute of the day for years straight. I don’t think that I ever blamed anyone else for my problems. If I had succeeded in destroying myself then it wouldn’t have been out of any desire to punish anyone, other than me.

As far as actual suicide goes, there were at least 100 times when I considered my options. I thought about the best way to do it, along with various other considerations. In my case I decided that I would stage my suicide as an accident. That way I could destroy myself without putting any extra baggage onto it. The people who cared would care that I died, but they wouldn’t feel guilt over it, or at least I didn’t think that they would feel guilty.

One thing that factored heavily in my decisions against suicide is that I figured I could always do it later. I saved it as a backup plan. One thing that worked for me was curiosity. I thought that if I killed myself then I wouldn’t get to see what happened next. I still hated myself just as much, but I guess that I was curious to see how the whole self-hatred thing would work out.

I’m not sure how close I got to the edge. I mean that I’m admitting that I planned my own suicide, and it wasn’t just a fleeting thought. It was something that I wrestled with for years. One red flag that should have been obvious to me is that I was strongly leaning toward a single-vehicle car wreck that would kill me without damaging anyone else. That should have told me what was really bothering me.

It’s probably fortunate that drug addiction gets to be impossible to hide. I’m amazed by how long I was able to function with it, but after years of self-destruction people were finally able to step in and stop me with a good old-fashioned intervention that was pretty much like the ones on TV.

It might have also been fortunate that I was an equal-opportunity drug addict. I had done so many different kinds that I hadn’t mentally depended on any one of them. I still had the physical addictions, and I still had the underlying mental problems, but once I got clean of drugs I never had a relapse. Not even one.

The therapy is most likely what salvaged my entire life. If I had gone into therapy as a kid then maybe the whole thing could have been avoided, but oh well.

The first therapist figured me out within her first hour of talking to me, even though I didn’t tell her the problem, and I didn’t believe her when she told me. She said that I blamed myself for the death of my family, and that was why I had intensely hated myself for so long. I told her that I didn’t blame myself for that. She said sure I did, absolutely, and no way of getting around it. She explained that little kids have sort of a magical way of looking at things, and they naturally think that things happen because of something they did. Until I addressed that I would hate myself.

I’m oversimplifying her explanation. She did many, many things. For an extended period I put myself through the wringer of therapy and I had every possible human opinion towards it. I did eye-movement therapy, PTSD therapy, some NLP, therapy and various other therapies with initials in them. I did weird things such as sand-tray therapy where she had me re-enact car wrecks with toy cars and little passenger figurines. That was a rough day in the old sand-tray room.

This is probably way more of an explanation than anyone needs so I’ll try to cover a few points and wrap up this post. I don’t think that people can really say for sure why anyone commits suicide. It could be due to ticking time bombs that they never explained, and they might not have even known the nature of the bombs inside them.

Maybe you can help people survive, but maybe not, so don’t feel guilty if you can’t. I don't think that I would advise anyone against suicide. I would just recommend putting off the decision, and in the meantime check out a therapist.

Music helped me. There were times when music was the only thing I loved, even while I hated myself. The good news is that I’m mostly OK with myself now. After getting clean I’ve had a good life. I wound up having a couple of kids. I’m not married, but I’m not divorced either. During the past few years I’ve been touring as a duo with the father of my kids. It's going well. It's by far the best experience that I've had with music.

This might be the last post that I ever make here. If that's the case then it's been good to meet you people. I'm a singer-songwriter type instead of a electronic or app-centric musician. I've still managed to pick up a lot of great tips here even though a lot of the time I have zero understanding of the technical issues that you're covering.

I will say that I have a massive amount of song-writing material inside me, both good and otherwise. I can write songs that peel the paint off walls, but for the most part now I’m just happy to still be walking around on the planet.

• @Janie: thank you for the insightful contribution, I wish you good things!

• @Janie Humane and honest post and thanks for that, may it not be your last.

As regards depression specifically, and especially in terms of how others view suicide as 'selfish' etc., I would encourage anyone to read Darkness Visible by William Styron to get a sense of the impossibility of those on one side of the fence understanding the state of those on the other...as well as the physical affliction of what we think of as a mental process.

• Depression, suicide and mental ilnesses should'nt be romanticized as they are in mass medias.It's all about prevention to avoid the Werther effect. Maryline And Kurt Cobain shouldn't be presented as they are ...I don't know how to explain it but there is something called theThe Papageno effect that mass media can have by presenting non-suicide alternatives to crises.