Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any Full Time ABLETON w/ IOS DEVICE set up?

Anyone's daily set up Ableton with ios device(s)?

I am on the fence.

I feel I make the best music in the most efficient manner with Ableton but enjoy the ios music apps?

Wondering any full time Abletoners and how they set up and use ios? As just a synth, to play Ableton?

What instruments of Ableton do you still use?

What MIDI devices?

YADA YADA

Comments

• For instance, Ableton I find myself more "formulaic" and workman like as opposed to ios where I have more fun.

.................but often get derailed.

Because I have a condition.

Do you suffer from it? A.J.S.

AMBIENT JAM SYNDROME!

Endless loops pads shots and samples until you have no idea what you were originall working on! LOL

• I do. Use Aum to send upto 16 channels of audio to ableton using my Ica4+. So in my studio my iPad is just a sound module.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I do. Use Aum to send upto 16 channels of audio to ableton using my Ica4+. So in my studio my iPad is just a sound module.

What is % of ios music vs Ableton/VST per song? AVER OF COURSE

• I'm mostly ableton to be honest. Sketch patterns purely using vst. Replace those vst with things like ripplemaker or model15 later.

• i use an i connect midi 2+ with abelton and my ipad, or iphone. Mostly I just record ios apps into abelton. But if i'm sound designing , I also route audio from abelton to ipad through audiobus or aum and then back into abelton to be recorded, which is tons of fun. I also use a lot of arpegiator or midi apps on my ipad to trigger 3rd party software plugins in abelton

• edited July 2017

I used ableton with ipad before i ditched ableton, and only ableton before i got ipad.

What i did was that i set up default template with drum rack(i used drums from ableton), bunch of midi tracks with studiomux routed to audio tracks for recording(neatly grouped ofc), and also drum rack with 16 samplers and some synths turned off etc useful stuff. Sequenced midi on ableton with push to be sent to ipad synths(only instrument i miss from desktop is electric88 epiano) and the audio to correct audio tracks. Then i worked on the midi to get it right, recorded it to audio track. Made a new midi clip that i could record new stuff and save the old midi. I made ios synths to audio loops like this and arranged them.

I also used touchable before i got push, but i didnt use ios synths or anything back then much at all.

Nowadays macos and ios can talk midi and audio without studiomux. Also bluetooth midi works fine, so i would most likely set it up bit differently nowadays, audio through ipads audio interface to one on desktop, same with midi, but would use bt midi if i didnt have midi ports on interfaces

• @eross said:
    i use an i connect midi 2+ with abelton and my ipad, or iphone. Mostly I just record ios apps into abelton. But if i'm sound designing , I also route audio from abelton to ipad through audiobus or aum and then back into abelton to be recorded, which is tons of fun. I also use a lot of arpegiator or midi apps on my ipad to trigger 3rd party software plugins in abelton

Just running audio mono x2 into 3.5 mm vca RCA out of audio interface or through USB?

• @ToMess said:
    I used ableton with ipad before i ditched ableton, and only ableton before i got ipad.

What i did was that i set up default template with drum rack(i used drums from ableton), bunch of midi tracks with studiomux routed to audio tracks for recording(neatly grouped ofc), and also drum rack with 16 samplers and some synths turned off etc useful stuff. Sequenced midi on ableton with push to be sent to ipad synths(only instrument i miss from desktop is electric88 epiano) and the audio to correct audio tracks. Then i worked on the midi to get it right, recorded it to audio track. Made a new midi clip that i could record new stuff and save the old midi. I made ios synths to audio loops like this and arranged them.

I also used touchable before i got push, but i didnt use ios synths or anything back then much at all.

Nowadays macos and ios can talk midi and audio without studiomux. Also bluetooth midi works fine, so i would most likely set it up bit differently nowadays, audio through ipads audio interface to one on desktop, same with midi, but would use bt midi if i didnt have midi ports on interfaces

Love to see this in a vid TBH

• @RustiK said:

@eross said:
    i use an i connect midi 2+ with abelton and my ipad, or iphone. Mostly I just record ios apps into abelton. But if i'm sound designing , I also route audio from abelton to ipad through audiobus or aum and then back into abelton to be recorded, which is tons of fun. I also use a lot of arpegiator or midi apps on my ipad to trigger 3rd party software plugins in abelton

Just running audio mono x2 into 3.5 mm vca RCA out of audio interface or through USB?

nope. with the i connect midi 2+ it has audio pass through. so i just have the iconnect usb plugged into the computer, and ipad plugged into the iconnect 2+ box. the iconnect 2+ does all midi and audio mid routing. i highly highly recommend it. and i don't think it is very exspensibe if i remember right.

• I have a little Ableton setup in one corner of my studio that consists of an old ipad2 running Touchable with a launchpad mini running the launchpad95 script.

It does nearly everything I originally wanted a Push for at a fraction of the price.

• @coolie said:
    I have a little Ableton setup in one corner of my studio that consists of an old ipad2 running Touchable with a launchpad mini running the launchpad95 script.

It does nearly everything I originally wanted a Push for at a fraction of the price.

That's me too, though I'd not thought to put Launchpad mini into the setup - nice.

• I have Live controlled by APC Keys for playing keys, a few knobs and launching clips. It's brilliant. The iPad is connected via both StudioMux (for sampling iOS apps or playing synths into Live) and also via Conductr (as an amazing modular controller surface for whatever the APC lacks, but MOSTLY as my drum pad).

• Ableton & iPad are a perfect match IMO. I use Ableton as my main DAW, as the iPad is not powerfull enough (Air 1) I use Loopy HD a lot to make loops up( a la Loopmasters style)then send it to my PC then go from there. When I Record into Ableton I use "Link" to sync the recordings. I.e. Loopy HD/TroubleMaker/Etc. Then edit them. It's so much easier with Ableton, especially as I use acapellas(warping to BPM. Tho I'm still learning the Warping technique. Lol. But getting there slowly. I've have Cubase Artist, & Reason. But for me Ableton is easier & quicker to get my projects out. With Ableton, I found, its simple to use. The built in plugins are powerful enough. Plus it's connected to a large TV LCD screen, rather than a small screen on the iPad. Plus it's easier to use a mouse, than my finger. But if I'm away from the PC, the iPad is perfect to get ideas out as a scratch pad. Maybe when I save up enough, I will go for the iPad Pro(12") version. Plus, with Ableton, I can abuse the samples easier. Where the iPad is a little bit restrictive. ;)