Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which cloud services do you use?

I used to resort to iCloud (main, and for obvious reasons) and Dropbox (because of Auria Pro's native support). But since their free accounts offer 5GB and 2GB, respectively, I was being forced to seriously consider upgrade to a paid subscription, even more since making all my video content on the iPad with LumaFusion.

Then I found El Dorado, which in this case means Mega Cloud. For a start, the free account offers 50GB, and I got even more space (the extra space will last 180 days, they say) for installing its mobile app. Mega is not natively supported by any app, but LumaFusion allows exporting the project archives to other apps, so I can reach Mega from there, and AudioShare also allows for the same path. Auria Pro is still locked in Dropbox, but I bet iOS 11's Files.app support will allow indirect access to Mega for both rendered audio and project archiving, and it's already possible to export rendered audio to AudioShare and then to Mega, so I'm partially covered here.

As far as I have experienced, all the free storage real estate advantages of Mega come without any immediate disadvantages, as far as my workflow is considered: I never used nor have any immediate need for Dropbox streaming and file sharing capabilities - all I need is to transfer large files from my iPad from the cloud, and from there to my PC for backup. iCloud is cool but the free storage is just a tenth of Mega's offering. Mega has a bandwidth limit of 10GB a day, but where I live, I hardly will find upload speeds that could allow me to transfer more than 10GB a day, and the biggest LumaFusion archives seldom go north of 2GB each.

What about you? Which cloud services do you use/recommend? Free or paid?

Comments

• Google drive. Keep in mind when considering paying for a service, the cost is about 2-3 cents per gigabyte per year for the provider; at least for the larger ones. They make their money from all the storage they sell that isn't used by the majority of users. Smaller companies don't get these economies of scale and are subject to greater risk.

• edited July 2017

Mega's encryption is even stronger and safer than Google's; check out this comparison chart: Mega loses in about everything - mostly the said advanced features I don't care for - but not only wins over Google as most secure, but also is ranked first overall!

Sorry, forgot the comparison link; here: https://www.slant.co/versus/3168/3170/~google-drive_vs_mega

• I have shared google drive with my friend(and ofc personal since i have gmail, but i dont use it), drop box for personal music stuff and icloud for some small random stuff and back up from phone.

• @theconnactic It can get confusing yes, but I have several accounts with the same provider. For instance I have 4 active Dropbox accounts, 4 GMail/Drive accounts, 3 Box accounts and 3 OneDrive accounts. Since all you need is an email account to get the basic free cloud account, I have about 5 email accounts I use for music, family, I had an old school one etc...whatever, they cost nothing.

Yes, it can get a bit jumbled, but its not rocket science to keep track of a few cloud accounts. Shit, I have a few Mega, Media Fire and hubiC accounts on top of the more well known brands. In all its like over 50GB of cloud space thats easily managed with an app like Documents or Cloud Indeed. If the Dropbox accounts, which are the most compatible with iOS music apps, ever run low on space I just transfer stuff over to one of the others with more space (One Drive I believe comes with 15GB free)

The iXpand drive I bought awhile back is also very handy. I can take samples, projects, etc. off my Pad and transfer them off to a desktop pretty smoothly. Hope this helps Dmitri, just what I've been doing for awhile now.

• Of course it helps! I surely am considering having more than one Mega account: if I had 5 of them, it would amount to a considerable 250GB of storage. As for Dropbox, if you forgive me the easy pun, I think I'll drop it for now: few LumaFusion archives are bigger than 2GB, but they exist. Unfortunately, iCloud doesn't make it easy for using more than one account on the iPad.

• I get 50gb on iOS cloud for 79p a month, but I may need to upgrade to a larger storage or Dropbox subscription in the next year or so.
    The iOS cloud is easy because just about everything gives it as an option.

• I have 15gb free on Dropbox. Enough for me. Got it from various promotions over the years and sending out invites.

• I pay the Dropbox subscription, happily, for the 2TB of storage it gives me. My whole life is on there, all my work from the last 25 years is backed up to the cloud that way, and synced between 3 computers. I also pay for iCloud, and Evernote. Evernote syncs between all the computers, as well as my phone and iPad, it's super useful (to me anyway).

I've always been anal about filing/storage/archiving and so far I haven't ever lost anything I've worked on. Dropbox is so much better than the old days of archiving stuff onto CD-ROMs. And having this much storage allows me to keep everything: every photo I've taken (including every RAW file), every Photoshop document, every 3D file, every song or book I've bought, all my own music, samples, Auria projects etc etc etc. I really couldn't live without it and it's well worth the price IMO.

I've had clients phone me up to ask for files from 5 years ago, and I can find them instantly and email them over. I guess that if you're going to keep track of that amount of data (or crap depending on your point of view) it has to be well organised though.

• I’m at 200GB on iCloud I just prefer the simplicity and integration with iCloud Photo Library and the Documents and Desktop folders from my Macs. Planning to upgrade to a TB soon

For sharing files/collaboration with others I primarily use Google Drive.

• I had completely forgotten Mega was Kim Dotcom’s child. Anyway, it’s not his anymore.

• I have Dropbox 1TB at $9.99/month. I also plan to upgrade my iCloud storage via a $9.99/month payment (2TBs) so as to back up my iPad and have a shitton of space left for anything/everything else. Gotta wait until the 26th though so as to have the payments taken on the same day as Dropbox, Spotify, and Youtube Red. (Yeah, this coming from me, Mr. Anti-Subscriptions, lol. But, cloud storage is a service, not app, and it's worth it, especially since you won't lose your stuff.)

• I have 2 Dropbox Plus/Pro accounts (à 1TB each, with extended version history), one Dropbox free regular account (2 GB), Google Drive (100 GB), iCloud (50 GB), OneDrive (1 TB) and I pay for Amazon S3/Glacier for the rest, apart from having my own online servers, and also having unlimited photo uploads on Flickr. :)

Might sound like overkill, and I've tried culling it a bit, but a lot of it has to do with flexibility when working with clients. One of the big Dropbox accounts is solely for an employer so I safely can say I haven't mixed up the files. The free Dropbox is running on a server, and shares a folder from my main Dropbox, so I in effect can update a couple of web sites by editing files on my local machine, which syncs to Dropbox (which then replicates to the share, on the server).

iCloud I need more space for, so I can keep a couple of backups there (on top of local backups). OneDrive I got "for free" when I got the Office365 subscription. Google I decided to pay for, can't remember why though. Amazon is where my offsite machine backups go (for example the RAW files from my camera), whereas Flickr is where all the processes images end up.

• If you are looking for monster offsite backup capability, like my 4Tb of RAW files, backblaze is about as competitive pricewise as I have found.

• I just started using Voltra for music syncing and storage: https://voltra.co

I had been using Dropbox too for a while, but I reaallly wanted to stop using iTunes to sync to my phone. Voltra has unlimited storage for the same price as Dropbox, and it syncs automatically between the desktop and mobile apps. I like having one solution and not having to patch together a bunch of services.