Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Voice Leading

For much of last winter, I was taking composition lessons. Aside from working on my ear, and my reading, I was mostly studying the art of voice leading, which is the way multipart western classical music is written. There are about a million rules, but the result is worth it. This is a short exercise I wrote, about a minute, that was originally for piano, then string quartet. I ended up mixing it for two synths, a harp, and cello. Which seems to work.

Comments

• Awesome! Voice leading is one if the most important concepts to develop, for anyone who wants to improve the musicality of their composition or improvisation. Everything becomes a beautiful melody, all weaving in and out of each other. I used to love doing Bach style chorale harmonisations to develop this skill.

I'll give the track a listen in a bit when I can listen with headphones.