Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 & Modstep.

Hi there,

does anybody use Modstep to sequence BM3 ?

I'd like to do it the same way I can do it with Cubase : that means being able to control separately each instrument / Channel.

The idea would be to sequence instrument / channel "A" with the first track on modstep and instrument "B" with the second track on modstep and so on.

And I don't know how to do it right now, feeling highly frustrated :)

thx.

Comments

• Honestly I would just do it all in BM3.

• @gonekrazy3000 in five, four, three...

• I'm starting to feel comfortable with the modstep workflow so that's why I'd like to use it to sequence BM3.

• Then I'd just use modstep. Not sure why you'd want to set up such a complicated workflow. I see modstep as the one stop solution for sequencing. At most I'd host my IAA and AU in AUM with modstep sequencing devices.

But...that's just me.

So far I'm not liking the sequencing in BM3...it just isn't clicking yet.

• Hey everyone!

Our forums are back, see you there: https://intua.net/forums

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

• edited July 2017

@echoopera said:
    Honestly I would just do it all in BM3.

This. Bm3 makes nearly everything but audio units useless

• @ToMess said:

@echoopera said:

Yep. I feel a bit like a traitor but as of BM3 Ive deleted almost everything else DAW-like and sequencer-like off of the device...

• Anyone seems to think that midi sequencing bm3 with modstep is pointless, but let me explain the way I feel.

Bm3 seems great for many reasons, but at the moment, I love it especialy for... its file management. It is so easy to manage samples, import, etc.

On the other hand, I really start to love modstep for sequencing. More than the other apps. That's why playing with my samples with BM3 and sequencing with modstep feel like the smoother way to create music for me. At least on the paper.

So here's my question again, is there any way to handle the several channels on BM3 with Modstep.

To be honest, at the moment, I really fear it is impossible. Besides I feel the same with Groovebox. Am I wrong ?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@ToMess said:

@echoopera said:

Yep. I feel a bit like a traitor but as of BM3 Ive deleted almost everything else DAW-like and sequencer-like off of the device...

LOL
    YOOOOOOOO!!!
    I feel the same way. I've been a die hard AUM user, I don't even use Audiobus (OMG, I'm about to be deleted for saying that?) and I held out on Modstep to see the BM3 release, also until a few weeks ago I waited for months for Xynthesizr to only now just include Ableton Link. Now, just a couple weeks later, I'm thinking of deleting all these apps, already deleted Novation/Amplify's software. The only DAW-like-but-not-really-DAW-app I will definitely keep is Gadget.
    BM3, sans the bugs, basically covers all my needs.

• Even as I do not get (understand) BM3 right now, I think this should be possible:

• edited July 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @gonekrazy3000 in five, four, three...

@kevkevkevz said:
    Hi there,

does anybody use Modstep to sequence BM3 ?

I'd like to do it the same way I can do it with Cubase : that means being able to control separately each instrument / Channel.

The idea would be to sequence instrument / channel "A" with the first track on modstep and instrument "B" with the second track on modstep and so on.

And I don't know how to do it right now, feeling highly frustrated :)

thx.

I tried. BM3 currently has broken/bugged midi input so at max it will reliably sequence only the selected bank and pad. Once it gets fixed I will definitely use modstep since bm3's sequencer is a bit lacking for me.

Btw. You can sequence each pad per bank. So you can technically do 1024 layers controller via modstep. Not sure modstep supports that many layers. Plus your iPad might catch fire.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@ToMess said:

@echoopera said:

I'm a but underwhelmed by it's sequencer and editor to be honest. Might use modstep for a long time to come. Export the midi into Bm3 and do automation inside Bm3.

• Can BM3 resample easier than Modstep? Sampler in Modstep works, loop recording works, just not very well imo.

• @Scratcher said:
    Can BM3 resample easier than Modstep? Sampler in Modstep works, loop recording works, just not very well imo.

Bm3 makes resampling look stupidly easy. And literally no sampler on iOS is as good. It just severely lacks in midi sequencing. It's there. But extremely barebones. Automation is gold standard specially for Aux. Once they fix midi inputs though modstep+Bm3 would be ultimate perfection at least for me. Can literally delete cubasis and Auria pro at that point. And before anyone says fabfilters. I own them all on PC. Will just export projects and do mastering in Ableton.

• Can BM3 import midi files?

Yes I haven't quite worked out how I will use BM3 myself yet. I think it's a great app but might take a while before i see where it best fits my workflow. Just used as a sampler I think it's a got lots of depth. But I like modstep better for sequencing, and other app combinations in AB3/AUM.

• @Carnbot said:

Can BM3 import midi files?

Yes I haven't quite worked out how I will use BM3 myself yet. I think it's a great app but might take a while before i see where it best fits my workflow. Just used as a sampler I think it's a got lots of depth. But I like modstep better for sequencing, and other app combinations in AB3/AUM.

The problem is modstep is a perfect sequencer. Specially once you get used to it's quirks (like the lack of undo). As a result I expect nothing will completely replace it. The only ones who will say they deleted it or stopped using it are the ones that never truly used it at all. Heck. It's become my main sequencer for ableton live. Only time I'm not using it is when I use Chaos Cultures multiclip editor. And usually that's after I have recorded modstep's midi into ableton.

In a similar fashion I think Bm3 might become my main sampler. Just hope they fix midi-in quickly so I can use the two in tandem. For now a workaround is importing modstep's midi via audioshare. Doodle something in modstep then import for more complex things in Bm3.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Carnbot said:

Can BM3 import midi files?

The problem is modstep is a perfect sequencer. Specially once you get used to it's quirks (like the lack of undo). As a result I expect nothing will completely replace it. The only ones who will say they deleted it or stopped using it are the ones that never truly used it at all. Heck. It's become my main sequencer for ableton live. Only time I'm not using it is when I use Chaos Cultures multiclip editor. And usually that's after I have recorded modstep's midi into ableton.

In a similar fashion I think Bm3 might become my main sampler. Just hope they fix midi-in quickly so I can use the two in tandem. For now a workaround is importing modstep's midi via audioshare. Doodle something in modstep then import for more complex things in Bm3.

Yes it might be I use Beatmaker as a sketch audio arranger and sampler as audio is it's main strength. I think it's the best all in one DAW on ipad but doesn't beat the individual strengths of some other apps. That's why I like the modular app approach and nothing beats (for me) Live as an arranger. If I was travelling though and away from my computer for a long time it's probably the app I would use to construct whole tracks in. I hope they fix the midi and iconnect4 issues etc.

Look forward to Live export though that will be great. :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

Completely agree with this. This is my plan as well. The lack of undo though... that's the one thing that stops me from using it all the time. Otherwise it would be perfection.

• edited July 2017

@gonekrazy3000, @frejahel @Carnbot
    I deleted Modstep in a purge and put it back, but I'm not yet able to integrate the 2 apps (given BM3 midi misfires I'm not getting anywhere as of yet).

Not really sure how they would integrate, but Ive got 100s of hours in Modstep now, it had been the hub of all my stuff. Curious to hear how y'all work out an integration.

I think my needs may be simpler on iOS than some: all I really do is cliplaunch midi sequences live-ish, then record the performance as audio into a multitracker.

Meanwhile I'm satisfying my jones using their amazing Touchable 3 with Live

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Deleted Modstep in a purge and put it back, but not yet able to integrate given BM3 midi misfires I'm not getting any integration. Not really sure how it would integrate but I put 100s of hours into Modstep til now, it had been the hub of the stuff I do. Curious to hear how y'all work out an integration.

Reason it doesn't work is Bm3 release build midi implementation is broke. It's not modstep's fault. Hopefully they fix it soon. Cause the betas didn't have these issues apparently. Way I'll be using is each layer in modstep per instrument. Tweaking midi as usual. All aux and sampler instruments in
    Bm3. When I'm happy with the overall arrangement I'll export the midi clips to audioshare and then import them into beatmaker 3 or if I'm lazy I'll record arm all the layers and "print" the midi into Bm3.

• @echoopera said:
    Then I'd just use modstep. Not sure why you'd want to set up such a complicated workflow. I see modstep as the one stop solution for sequencing. At most I'd host my IAA and AU in AUM with modstep sequencing devices.

But...that's just me.

And me :)

• edited July 2017

@echoopera said:
    Then I'd just use modstep. Not sure why you'd want to set up such a complicated workflow. I see modstep as the one stop solution for sequencing. At most I'd host my IAA and AU in AUM with modstep sequencing devices.

But...that's just me.

Well. I like creating hopelessly complicated setups just coz I'm bored. Otherwise the zmors melodic euclidean sequencer wouldn't exist. And now that it does I absolutely use it when I'm stuck. So In my case patchworks of multiple apps that do what I need are vastly preffered to a single app that doesn't do everything I want.

• edited July 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@echoopera said:

But...that's just me.

Well. I like creating hopelessly complicated setups just coz I'm bored. Otherwise the zmors melodic euclidean sequencer wouldn't exist. And now that it does I absolutely use it when I'm stuck. So In my case patchworks of multiple apps that do what I need are vastly preffered to a single app that doesn't do everything I want.

Yep. I really love modstep. BM3 has really done a good job of showing what can be done on the iPad.

We live in truly inspired times. What we are able to do and create on iPads is mind blowing.

I think that's your central message. Use what you love to create what you love so you can share that with the world.

• I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am finding the midi sequencer in BM3 to be difficult to finger edit. Is there something that I'm missing? Or do I need to get the Apple pencil to edit this thing?

• Possibly. One thing I realized is that the pencil and select icons change how you interact with the sequencer. Not sure I agree with that decision, but once I realized that it made things easier. Double taps add/delete notes. Also the controls for the CC/Automation lanes are different to the ones for notes, which can be confusing. Nice trick, if you select a note in the piano sequencer, you can then drag anywhere in the CC lane to set its value.

There's also a control in the bottom left that determines whether dragging across the timeline will create a note for each time division, or a long continual note.

If yo press the arrow at the top left you can make the lane descriptions go away, which gives you more space (of course then you may not know what each lane represents if they're pads).

I haven't yet found a way to create notes off the quantized grid, though I haven't really looked for it either.

I love ModStep, but the piano roll in BM3 is better than ModSteps was when it launched. Plus it has undo, which is nice.

• @ALB said:
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am finding the midi sequencer in BM3 to be difficult to finger edit. Is there something that I'm missing? Or do I need to get the Apple pencil to edit this thing?

It works fine for me without the pencil. It works differently than I expected at first, but once I understood it, I think I like it a lot. Your question is hard to answer though without specifics about what is giving you trouble.

• I'll give it more time then. Seems like it may be user error on my part.

• edited July 2017

Each GUI has its language, it's not like BM2 but I think it's actually better. Sizing works the same though- pinch/unpinch two fingers to zoom in and out..

@cian if I get your question, The off-quantization drawing can happen when you set the quant to free, theres a button at the top left of the grid (just above the vertical piano keys)

• Still not working ain't it :'( ?

• @cian if I get your question, The off-quantization drawing can happen when you set the quant to free, theres a button at the top left of the grid (just above the vertical piano keys)

Oh ok, thanks.