Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 and external synths - not working

Can anyone get BM3 to work with external synths? My gear shows up and I can assign it to the correct synth via Midi Setup but nothing plays.

I tested the same synth via modstep and everything works.

I have a USB hub with me gear plugged in to it.

I then tried plugging the synth direct into the iPad via CCK but it still doesn't work. In contrast modstep is sequencing perfectly.

Any insight on how to get BM3 to sequence external gear is appreciated.

Fwiw, I followed the steps outlined in the manual, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
-policarpo

Comments

• Anyone else having this problem before I pop on it?

• edited July 2017

What's weird is that my synths show in the midi panel.

I can select the synth and their channel

I can enter notes in the Pattern view but nothing plays on the synth.

The pads don't play any notes either. I just get a weird tone on the first pad in the bottom left directly within BM3.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but like I said I know it's not my setup because modstep works fine when I test it there independently. And yes I only have one app running at a time. Either BM3 or modstep.

Thanks for the interest. B)

• I had it running a couple synths with no issues. Receiving and sending midi to hardware. But then i stopped being able select the input on the audio tracks all of a sudden. It could see the soundcard but not select it.

• Hmmmm....if I buy I'll report back.

• edited July 2017

I can't get midi out working yet at all.

I'm not sure I get midi yet or whether there's a bug but core midi in only seems to work when I've got a pad selected. I can see the potential of this when changing instruments on the fly and playing different pads, but midi in doesn't seem to stay on the same pad no matter what I set the routing to in that pad. Unless I'm missing a setting.
    Ok I just need to spend more time with this, I was in select mode. Need to be in scene mode.

• mute/solo the track a couple of times, sometimes this seems to re-initialise midi stuff

• @Carnbot said:

I'm not sure I get midi yet or whether there's a bug but core midi in only seems to work when I've got a pad selected. I can see the potential of this when changing instruments on the fly and playing different pads, but midi in doesn't seem to stay on the same pad no matter what I set the routing to in that pad. Unless I'm missing a setting.
    Ok I just need to spend more time with this, I was in select mode. Need to be in scene mode.

If you're missing the setting, then I am too (and I spent 45 minutes hunting around). I found core MIDI anomalies when working with different channels assigned to different banks. Sometimes, I found "leakage" across channels--and other times, the MIDI went "to sleep" until I tapped on a bank to bring it "back to life". I could be missing something important here...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

If you're missing the setting, then I am too (and I spent 45 minutes hunting around). I found core MIDI anomalies when working with different channels assigned to different banks. Sometimes, I found "leakage" across channels--and other times, the MIDI went "to sleep" until I tapped on a bank to bring it "back to life". I could be missing something important here...

i think the midi implementation in general is bugged. for a little while each pad was working with individual midi inputs. then suddenly a single pad was accepting all the midi. even disabling all midi it still was listening. i think we will need a patch to fix this. for now i'm just using a single midi input and working on a pad by pad basis.

• Yeah I was noticing that my AS-1 was appearing and disappearing from the list of Midi devices. I tried to get it working for 15 minutes but ultimately gave up in frustration and went back to Modstep...which worked like a champ.

Oh well. BM3 looks to offer a lot, but it's not ready for prime time IMHO. will noodle around with it but not put any meaningful pieces into yet. Shame. It's a beautiful app.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

i think the midi implementation in general is bugged. for a little while each pad was working with individual midi inputs. then suddenly a single pad was accepting all the midi. even disabling all midi it still was listening. i think we will need a patch to fix this. for now i'm just using a single midi input and working on a pad by pad basis.

For a workaround I can get AB3 midi to work if I use Midiflow adapter and Midiflow together. BM3 only seems to receive on it's own Beatmaker midi port. So in Midiflow I point midiflow adapter to Beatmaker. Not sure if channels works this way.

• @Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

For a workaround I can get AB3 midi to work if I use Midiflow adapter and Midiflow together. BM3 only seems to receive on it's own Beatmaker midi port. So in Midiflow I point midiflow adapter to Beatmaker. Not sure if channels works this way.

Oh I am actually using midiflow. But it completely ignores channels. And doesn't stop listening even if you disable a particular pad and banks midi input completely. If you select it. It will listen. Pretty sure it's a bug.

• Woohoo got it working cause of some insight from jfmagnet on the intua forum.

Here's the video showing you how to do it:

• Glad you got it working but sheesh. That's a hack isn't it?

• Here's a fuller vid showing the setup for multiple synths on a single bank:

• Thanks for that :) Now how do you create a custom scale on the pads? Surely that's in there....

• ALBALB
    edited July 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Thanks for that :) Now how do you create a custom scale on the pads? Surely that's in there....

I asked that question on the Intua forum in relation to Ruismaker and apparently this is not yet an option, though the beta testers did ask for it.

• @ALB said:

@Carnbot said:
    Thanks for that :) Now how do you create a custom scale on the pads? Surely that's in there....

I asked that question on the Intua forum I relation to Ruismaker and apparently this is not yet an option, though the beta testers did ask for it.

Thanks, yes strange to leave that out for the release although I'm sure they'll add it...

• You can give each pad a different midi note manually. That's pretty straightforward.

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

@brambos said:
    You can give each pad a different midi note manually. That's pretty straightforward.

To do that you'd need to load a separate Ruismaker instance on each pad. I tried that and the project wouldn't reopen. That's the known bug that you've detailed for Intua and kindly provided a workaround for in Phasemaker, Ripplemaker, and Troublemaker.

• edited July 2017

@brambos said:
    You can give each pad a different midi note manually. That's pretty straightforward.

Ok yeah I guess you can do that for bank pads but not yet for pads nested within the bank....like on the scales page.

• ALBALB
    edited July 2017

@wim said:

@brambos said:

To do that you'd need to load a separate Ruismaker instance on each pad. I tried that and the project wouldn't reopen. That's the known bug that you've detailed for Intua and kindly provided a workaround for in Phasemaker, Ripplemaker, and Troublemaker.

Yes, I did that earlier this week and my session crashed after loading six instances of Ruismaker FM, each mapped to a different pad. Worked great until I added another bank, then everything froze - still can't reload the session. Looking forward to Intua dealing with this soon. I'm confident that they will.

• It would be kinda cool if they would add functionality to the pads so that they can "point" to another pad in addition to selecting the note. That way, you could load a plugin on pad 1, then set pad 2 to "play" pad 1. I think I'll post that suggestion over at the Intua site. It could be really helpful.

• @wim said:
    It would be kinda cool if they would add functionality to the pads so that they can "point" to another pad in addition to selecting the note. That way, you could load a plugin on pad 1, then set pad 2 to "play" pad 1. I think I'll post that suggestion over at the Intua site. It could be really helpful.

I haven't tried this, but does it work like this if you copy/paste a pad instead of allocating a new plugin instance on another pad?

• @brambos said:

@wim said:
    It would be kinda cool if they would add functionality to the pads so that they can "point" to another pad in addition to selecting the note. That way, you could load a plugin on pad 1, then set pad 2 to "play" pad 1. I think I'll post that suggestion over at the Intua site. It could be really helpful.

I haven't tried this, but does it work like this if you copy/paste a pad instead of allocating a new plugin instance on another pad?

Nope. With AUv3 plugs it adds a new instance.

• edited July 2017

Luck so far with LayR, 6 layers spread across 6 banks.
    Which is what i was hoping for when I got both of them

• edited July 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Glad you got it working but sheesh. That's a hack isn't it?

You don't need this hack. You can load an AU or IAA app directly onto a pad in a bank, go to the wave view and select the pad with your plugin app installed on it and select the three dots to the right of it. You'll get a menu and select MIDI where you can choose your external MIDI controller.

• @InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

You don't need this hack. You can load an AU or IAA app directly onto a pad in a bank, go to the wave view and select the pad with your plugin app installed on it and select the three dots to the right of it. You'll get a menu and select MIDI where you can choose your external MIDI controller.

Huh? The video is a demo for sequencing an external synth. Why would I load an AU or IAA to sequence external gear?

• @echoopera said:

@InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Huh? The video is a demo for sequencing an external synth. Why would I load an AU or IAA to sequence external gear?

It seems @InfoCheck didn't actually read your post properly.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@echoopera said:

@InfoCheck said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It seems @InfoCheck didn't actually read your post properly.

It seems that you just need an "item" in there, file or AU to activate the MIDI option. Either way.

• Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is this still the case? Do you still need to load a sample, IAA or AU onto a pad before you have access to the MIDI options? Also, has the MIDI code gotten any better or is it still buggy?

Thanks,
    chisel316