Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glitchy/stuttering audio with Traktor DJ

dspdsp
edited July 2017 in Support and Feedback

Hey there,
I just bought Audiobus 3.
My first steps didn't go too well though.
I loaded Traktor DJ as an audio source (just one track, no fx) and the audio output was super glitchy, crackling, and stuttering.
No other apps were open in Audiobus at that point.
Next I tried Loopy in Audiobus, and the audio output sudedenly stopped. The Audiobus mixer still showed a hot signal, but nothing actually came from the headphone out or the speakers of my iPad.

Is Audiobus 3 that buggy?
Can anyone provide me with a solution?
If not, can I get a refund somehow?

My iPad is one of those non-pro ones that came out 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to add that I changed the latency setting to 1024, which didn't help at all.
Edit: More edits before someone asks: Yes, this happens after a fresh start of the iPad, no other audio apps are running in the background. My iOs is the latest, whichever that currently is. Thanks!

Comments

• Is traktor dj ready for AB3?
    Did you tried to "reset sesion"? It's one of the buttons at the right top in AB3...

If traktor crashed AB3 then anything after that could go wrong...

• Hey @dsp - can we go through some troubleshooting stuff?

1. Are you running the latest AB 3 (3.0.4)?
    2. If you quit everything, then start a fresh AB 3 session without first using Traktor DJ, with just Loopy in the input and the system audio output in the output (is this the scenario you described?), what happens?
    3. Do you own AB 2? What happens if you load up the same scenario with Traktor DJ there?
  • Thanks, guys.
    I bought/downloaded Audiobus today, so I assume I have the latest version.
    I did try starting a fresh session, in fact my very first try on the first start of AB was inserting Traktor and nothing else.
    When I put Loopy as the input on a fresh session, the playback fades out after 1 second.
    I don't care about that though, my main grip is the Traktor issue.

Oh and no, I don't own AB2.

Anymore ideas?

• I think it's not AB3 compatible...

• It's on the official list though
    https://audiob.us/apps/search/Traktor

• edited July 2017

It's not AB 3 Optimised - which means it can't be launched into the background, but it should still work in AB 3. Okay, this sounds like it's probably a Traktor DJ problem, I'm going to need to contact Native Instruments and get them to take a look.

FYI, with Loopy going quiet: that's because you need to add an output. Loopy doesn't automatically get an output when added, because it includes a play through/monitoring feature which can cause feedback if you're not careful - so it makes you add the output.

• NI seems updating it so maybe the best moment.
    Also ask @cblomert about djing apps and AB3, please... :wink:

• Thanks, I'll get in touch with NI.
    Unfortunately I need this to work now though :(
    You guys know of any alternative to either Traktor DJ or Audiobus 3?

• edited July 2017

What do you want to achieve?
    Looping into Loopy from dj app?

For route them AB2.
    To avoid Traktor, djdj, djay... there are some AB/IAA dj apps.
    Alternatives to loopy which host Au or IAA there are a few too (Quantiloop, GroupTheLoop...)

@Michael is one of the AB devs and Loopy dev so you can wait until him manage with NI as he stated. It will took some time but Traktor is very outdated app which seems is reworked and should bring an update in some moment over the year...

• dspdsp
    edited July 2017

As I said, I don't really care about Loopy. I just used it to test AB.

What I want to achieve?
    I want to play a long-ass wav file (45min-1h) and route it to some fx.
    I've used Traktor for this, because it lets me see the waveform, and I can set markers/cues.
    I'm using this setup to play the backing track for my live set. The audio then goes into a Eurorack modular synth setup and some guitar pedals.

I might try switching to a DAW to play back the audio file, but unfortunately they're all pretty expensive (considering that I just want to play and see a wave file).

EDIT:
    Can anyone provide me with NI's customer support email address? They want me to register a user account in order to get in touch with them.

• Does anyone have AB2 and Traktor DJ? I'd love to know if this combination works. Thanks

• @dsp said:
    As I said, I don't really care about Loopy. I just used it to test AB.

What I want to achieve?
    I want to play a long-ass wav file (45min-1h) and route it to some fx.
    I've used Traktor for this, because it lets me see the waveform, and I can set markers/cues.
    I'm using this setup to play the backing track for my live set. The audio then goes into a Eurorack modular synth setup and some guitar pedals.

I might try switching to a DAW to play back the audio file, but unfortunately they're all pretty expensive (considering that I just want to play and see a wave file).

EDIT:
    Can anyone provide me with NI's customer support email address? They want me to register a user account in order to get in touch with them.

The AUM could be perfect since it has file player and better audio routing than AB. > @dsp said:

Does anyone have AB2 and Traktor DJ? I'd love to know if this combination works. Thanks

I have booth but not installed. Give some time and I will back with some insights.

• edited July 2017

Tried.

• Traktor alone works.
    • Traktor as input in AB2 sounds weird (like bit crush).
    • Traktor as input in AB3 doesn't play.

I still believe it's mainly Traktor fault since IDK if it was updated for 64bits and latest iOS version.

iPad mini4 64gb iOS 10.3.2

I opened a ticket for both pointing to this topic. Any update or answer from them I get, you will be the first to be notified :wink:

• Thanks a lot! :)
    In the meantime I bought Cubasis, which seems to be working fine with AB3.
    I might just use this instead of Traktor.

• You are welcome. I hope you find your workflow mate :wink:

Let's see what happens with Traktor anyways.

• edited July 2017

@dsp
    I'm a QA Engineer at Native Instruments and we are aware of this issue. A workaround is to change the buffer size in Audiobus. Once this is done the audio should be fine. In Audiobus go to Settings -> Latency Control.

• @NI_QA said:
    @dsp
    I'm a QA Engineer at Native Instruments and we are aware of this issue. A workaround is to change the buffer size in Audiobus. Once this is done the audio should be fine. In Audiobus go to Settings -> Latency Control.

That's a fast answer to a ticket hell yeah! :lol:

• @NI_QA said:
    @dsp

Thanks a lot!
    I did change the buffer size to the highest value already, and the issue still remained.
    Hope you'll be able to fix this soon.
    In the meantime I'm using Cubasis instead.

• @dsp

You don't need to select the highest latency. Just reselect the latency that was first selected. In my case it's originally set to 128 frames. I change it to something else and then back to 128 frames and it works. I also get artifacts when using the highest latency setting. Does this work for you?

• @NI_QA said:
    @dsp

You don't need to select the highest latency. Just reselect the latency that was first selected. In my case it's originally set to 128 frames. I change it to something else and then back to 128 frames and it works. I also get artifacts when using the highest latency setting. Does this work for you?

Working fine with AB3 :wink: