Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Syncing Patterning with Cubasis

iOS really frustrates me sometimes. I've just spent 20 minutes trying to get Patterning to be synced to Cubasis, or the other way around. I don't care which. Just let me press play on one app and have the other app follow along. Can't be done, I'm so annoyed. Doubly so since Patterning doesn't even appear in the Cubasis IAA list. So I put Patterning in the Audiobus input slot and Cubasis in the output. Made sure I turned the Cubasis MIDI clock on. Nothing. Tried Patterning sending clock or receiving clock, trying both Cubasis and Network Session 1 in the destination list. Nothing.

Has anyone else managed to get this working, and if so, how? I intended to spend my lunchtime recording something. This should be simple, particularly now. Bloody iOS!

Comments

• edited July 2017

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    iOS really frustrates me sometimes. I've just spent 20 minutes trying to get Patterning to be synced to Cubasis, or the other way around. I don't care which. Just let me press play on one app and have the other app follow along. Can't be done, I'm so annoyed. Doubly so since Patterning doesn't even appear in the Cubasis IAA list. So I put Patterning in the Audiobus input slot and Cubasis in the output. Made sure I turned the Cubasis MIDI clock on. Nothing. Tried Patterning sending clock or receiving clock, trying both Cubasis and Network Session 1 in the destination list. Nothing.

Has anyone else managed to get this working, and if so, how? I intended to spend my lunchtime recording something. This should be simple, particularly now. Bloody iOS!

-Ignore all midi clock sync settings in Patterning.
    -Make sure Ableton Link is Off in Patterning.
    -load Patterning into the track routing in Cubasis via inter-app option
    -make sure iaa sync is enabled in patterning once loaded into cubasis

(Sorry if instructions are sketchy, running out the door... zipzip!)

• edited July 2017

Patterning is an IAA generator, which means it can only be loaded onto an Audio track in Cubasis and not onto a MIDI track which is probably why you don't see it in the IAA list you are looking at in cubasis ;)

• Cubasis and IAA Generators
    Some IAAs don't fully follow the IAA spec as they were designed specifically for AudioBus but since AB joined the IAA protocol they will work as IAA Generators. Unlike other IAA Host, Cubasis handles IAA Generators differently than IAA Instruments. For IAA Generators in Cubasis:
    1) create an audio track
    2) click on routing
    3) click on mono input
    4) change it to "inter-app"
    5) choose your IAA Generator from this list (If your IAA Generator does not load, you'll need to start the IAA Generator app first then select from Cubasis)
    6) create a new MIDI track
    7) click on routing
    8) point it to your instrument
    9) also set the MIDI track instrument to no instrument
    (Otherwise you will hear both the Cubasis piano and your IAA)

• Correct, Patterning is an IAA generator not an "instrument" (because it doesn't accept MIDI notes, per se).

@AudioGus instructions look good to me.

• I think most well designed IAA Hosts treat instruments differently to generators, instruments go on midi tracks, generators go on audio tracks, simples.

• Thanks, guys. I'll try this when I get home.

• Yep, Apps without LINK really are a 'pain'...

• @philowerx said:
    Cubasis and IAA Generators
    Some IAAs don't fully follow the IAA spec as they were designed specifically for AudioBus but since AB joined the IAA protocol they will work as IAA Generators. Unlike other IAA Host, Cubasis handles IAA Generators differently than IAA Instruments. For IAA Generators in Cubasis:
    1) create an audio track
    2) click on routing
    3) click on mono input
    4) change it to "inter-app"
    5) choose your IAA Generator from this list (If your IAA Generator does not load, you'll need to start the IAA Generator app first then select from Cubasis)
    6) create a new MIDI track
    7) click on routing
    8) point it to your instrument
    9) also set the MIDI track instrument to no instrument
    (Otherwise you will hear both the Cubasis piano and your IAA)

And this procedure allows to record MIDI then?
    :-O

I don´t have Patterning (or Fugue Machine), so i cannot test myself.

• @RajahP said:
    Yep, Apps without LINK really are a 'pain'...

IAA sync is better than Link if you want synchronised start/stop....Link can't do that. ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Hi - I cannot do this. Patterning says "to use inter app audio sync, you must connect the main output of Patterning to an inter app audio host app." So, how do I do THAT? I can't see anywhere to do that! Thanks!

• @AudioGus said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I was wondering the same.

I declare you the Mozart of iOS syncing :smiley:

• from the second screen shot it looks like you chose the wrong input!
    1) in Cubasis add a new audio track
    2) change the routing to iaa -> Patterning (Main output)
    3) switch on monitoring (blue speaker icon)
    4) double check sync settings in Patterning (IAA enabled - all others disabled)
    5) enjoy

• Does Cubasis still not have Ableton Link (2016)??

D’oh!! :(

• I can’t think of any full daw on iOS that has link. (Happy to have any pointed out to me though).

• edited May 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    I can’t think of any full daw on iOS that has link. (Happy to have any pointed out to me though).

But why not?

Edit Just found this thread on the topic, so off to read now.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/15093/link-implementation-in-a-daw

• edited May 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    I can’t think of any full daw on iOS that has link. (Happy to have any pointed out to me though).

The only sync setting I saw in Cubasis was ‘clock send’.

Didn’t see a way to configure receiving external clock.

Will continue to browse and try tips from the forum.

• It only works as a master clock sender. So any apps wanting to sync to Cubasis must receive midi sync clock. Like Rock Drummer, it has a receive midi clock option in settings.

The only DAW with Ableton Link currently is BM3.

So far midi sync has been pretty tight using Cubasis as master to Drum Session and Lumbeats apps.

Also I believe when an app is used as IAA inside Cubasis it auto syncs to the transport.

• Wanting to record the midi from my Digitakt into Cubasis. Sending clock from Cubasis freezes the DT so I’m hoping to send DT clock to Cubasis instead.

Am I to read this as impossible?

Sniff. :(

• Cubasis can only be the master clock and from what I remember DAWs are not likely to ever get Link because converting the audio in real time to be able change pitch and tempo would likely grind the iPad to it's knees, CPU wise.

• @yowza said:
    Cubasis can only be the master clock and from what I remember DAWs are not likely to ever get Link because converting the audio in real time to be able change pitch and tempo would likely grind the iPad to it's knees, CPU wise.

Yeah, browsing another thread highlights the audio issues DAWs would have with Link. Makes sense.

But why no midi clock in for Cubasis?

• edited May 2018

... double post

• I guess all I really need is transport control, via midi or MMC.

As long as I manually match the Bpm in both devices.

• For similar reasons as Link because the midi clock slave would have to convert audio in real time to follow the midi clock Master tempo.
    Following MIDI clock as a slave is a lot harder than being the master. Even my old Lexicon Jam Man was only MIDI clock master for this reason.

• Do you have ANY AB compatible app with AB transport controls that will wake up your Digitackt?

• @yowza said:
    For similar reasons as Link because the midi clock slave would have to convert audio in real time to follow the midi clock Master tempo.
    Following MIDI clock as a slave is a lot harder than being the master. Even my old Lexicon Jam Man was only MIDI clock master for this reason.

Yeah, makes sense. Figured out I just need transport control for this scenario. Cheers.

• edited May 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    Do you have ANY AB compatible app with AB transport controls that will wake up your Digitackt?

Hmm, interesting idea. So if I hosted both Cubasis and this other ‘wake up’ app in AB, I might be able to use the AB transport for clock to DT.

Was really hoping for a simple one tap solution, but will experiment with this and report back, cheers.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    ...that will wake up your Digitackt?

Ah, do you mean after the DT has been ‘frozen’?

• No just wake up as in get it to start playing