Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep has an update

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Lovely, just found it. Updates are part of the morning ritual, after brushing teeth.

• @Kühl said:
    Lovely, just found it. Updates are part of the morning ritual, after brushing teeth.

Yep

Same here.

It is 4:28 am in good ole Baltimore Maryland

GOOD MORNING IOS APPS!

• OK – who is the brave guinea pig?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    OK – who is the brave guinea pig?

It works, so yay! I did have to open Modstep first to get it to load as a MIDI sender in AB3.

• Love the Modstep concept, hate the GUI and bugginess. This makes me :-(

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Love the Modstep concept, hate the GUI and bugginess. This makes me :-(

Can't get it to work with Nanokey Studio for some reason.

The GUI is alright but I'd like full screen rather than split screen performance controls. Add some more functionality to the sampler and then it would truly be living up to its potential.

• I keep wondering. I don't have ModStep. Given the looming rollout of BM3, is it something that I need? Will it fill a niche that BM3 won't cover?

• Modstep is phenomenally powerful as a performance tool, but requires a certain 'affection' for technicality

• And tolerance of the lack of an undo button.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    OK – who is the brave guinea pig?

It's basically the public release the beta I'm on. Grab it. You now have proper ab3 midi like my videos.

• though I was able to achieve the drum rack thing without Audiobus @gonekrazy3000

• @SheffieldBleep said:

What bugginess. I use it for hours at a time with soft synths and hardware synths and it never crashes. What are you encountering in your use?

• edited July 2017

@ALB said:
    I keep wondering. I don't have ModStep. Given the looming rollout of BM3, is it something that I need? Will it fill a niche that BM3 won't cover?

I too fear that BM3 will replace Modstep functionality. I say fear, because I have come to be quite fond of Modstep. It is still guesswork, we'll have to see in practice how flexible BM3 is when it comes to modulating stuff (e.g. when doing multiple CC curves in clips that are separate from the note clips).

One thing Modstep has is a long list of templates for mapping external hardware, so if that is your thing you might save some effort there.

• I've been looking forward to this for awhile, almost as much as my anticipation for Saturday's big release!

• @bleep said:

@ALB said:
    I keep wondering. I don't have ModStep. Given the looming rollout of BM3, is it something that I need? Will it fill a niche that BM3 won't cover?

I too fear that BM3 will replace Modstep functionality. I say fear, because I have come to be quite fond of Modstep. It is still guesswork, we'll have to see in practice how flexible BM3 is when it comes to modulating stuff (e.g. when doing multiple CC curves in clips that are separate from the note clips).

One thing Modstep has is a long list of templates for mapping external hardware, so if that is your thing you might save some effort there.

Okay - good to know. I will wait and see.

• @echoopera said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

What bugginess. I use it for hours at a time with soft synths and hardware synths and it never crashes. What are you encountering in your use?

"hanging", temperamental loading of IAA and AU's, apparently random undoes. Its quite feasible that all these are user error since I find the GUI so impenetrable and un-intuitive. I keep returning to it since there is a core philosophy that I really enjoy as an ableton user but frustration usually beckons

• edited July 2017

We > @SheffieldBleep said:

@echoopera said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

"hanging", temperamental loading of IAA and AU's, apparently random undoes. Its quite feasible that all these are user error since I find the GUI so impenetrable and un-intuitive. I keep returning to it since there is a core philosophy that I really enjoy as an ableton user but frustration usually beckons

Ahh yeah. Ok. I've solely been hosting IAA and AU via AUM. I've been doing it this way for a long time so I don't have that workflow problem.

It took me a couple weeks to really get to grips with the UI but now I find it easy to navigate. Have you looked at AudioDabblers latest vids?

I really love this app so I like to help people get over hurdles if I can.

• @bleep said:

@ALB said:

If you like Gadget but you want to use synths outside the Korg sandbox, Modstep is the best approximation. But if BM3 now has clip launching? Not to mention a fully realized MPC-style sampler? PLUS audio? I would wait to see what BM3 does.

I do like the tracks I make in Modstep, which is a beautifully realized (if idiosyncratic) workflow.
    And yeah, the bugginess has been gone for ages.

• @echoopera said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

Same here. It's just about the only app that NEVER crashes for me

• Yep. Bm3 looks exciting. If it gives me the flexibility of modstep sequencing it will be a game changer. But honestly missteps sequencing engine is really deep and powerful so we'll see.

• I'll be honest. I don't think I'll stop using modstep even after beatmaker 3 arrives. But Bm3 might replace Aum in my setup. Let's see how it goes.

• @echoopera said:

Ahh yeah. Ok. I've solely been hosting IAA and AU via AUM. I've been doing it this way for a long time so I don't have that workflow problem.

It took me a couple weeks to really get to grips with the UI but now I find it easy to navigate. Have you looked at AudioDabblers latest vids?

@echoopera said:

@echoopera said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@echoopera said:

@echoopera said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

"hanging", temperamental loading of IAA and AU's, apparently random undoes. Its quite feasible that all these are user error since I find the GUI so impenetrable and un-intuitive. I keep returning

Thanks! I'd love to get it working for me. I'll have a look

• Yeah it never crashes for me either, and most of the issues (except the UNDO button) that I complained about have been fixed. What remains is a less irritating way of dealing with time signatures, and that's about it really (and from talking to them I think the reason this has taken a while is because it's a hard problem, and they're taking it seriously).

Hosting stuff in AUM is the key, as AUM is pretty rock solid. What I particularly appreciate is that I can run ModStep on my iPad 3, and host everything on Air 2. Which is super fly.

The only additional things I'd like would be midi manipulation tools. Inversions, reversions, better transposition. And maybe better tools for chords (inversions would be cool). But once you're talking about that kind of stuff you're all in really.

My guess is there will still be a place for it if you like to do weird MIDI shit. Do you want the ability to have a scene where the fourth bar plays 4x as fast as the other three? And to be able to do that live? Or to double/half the speed of a scene. Do you want to route MIDI in strange ways? Because it will do that too. Want a solid step sequence AND a piano/drum roll. Sure, why not? Easy ways to set up MIDI controls/MIDI out. Absolutely. For me that's where it shines. And of course for jamming. It jams like a mofu.

• UNDO.

Please.

• @cian said:
    And tolerance of the lack of an undo button.

The devolopers are working on a rewrite of the code, and one of the things they're putting in is undo.

• they must have been listening to everyone complain about the app being so underwhelming bad

• @Shazamm said:
    they must have been listening to everyone complain about the app being so underwhelming bad

Can't tell if this is irony or not.

• Fake news. Sad!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Fake news. Sad!

Baby shoes. Never worn.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Shazamm said:
    they must have been listening to everyone complain about the app being so underwhelming bad

Can't tell if this is irony or not.

lol