Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hardware Looper for iOS (BOSSrc505 or MIDIcontroller?)

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a boss RC 505 Loop Station to primarily use with my iPads. I'm already using a TC Helicon voicelive 3 for my guitar and vocal processing and looping, running my iPad into the auxiliary input for looping apps. But using my feet for this is not that great for certain apps, hence why I want the rc505 to use in conjunction with my Voicelive 3. But if anyone has any suggestions for midi controllers that can do what the rc505 does and better...Im all ears...
I already have a Launchpad pro and Korg NanoKeyStudio and the Loopy app, but i don't really like the flow of Loopy that much. I like hardware when it comes to loopers, but I'm open to any suggestions...

Comments

• GroupTheLoop or Quantiloop.
    Novation LaunchControl XL, korg nanokontrol or even a Akai Mpd with faders.

More possibilities, Ableton Link, better song arrangement...

• Might help to know what is it about the flow of Loopy you don't like?

• I find myself using Quantiloop most of the bunch. It keeps getting better all the time.

• I use Quantiloop with an akai LPD8 and it's pretty grand. Gonna prolly get arturia beatstep at some point

• That being said I do really love my Boss RC202 and would suggest that over the 505 purely because the build quality is much much better

• Just was playing with a 505, early impression is that it is great for hands on fiddling around, like a slider for each track volume, big play buttons, big knobs for the effects. Kind of lends itself to DJing your loops. It's large, but not huge. About as big as your TC processor. I got it because I wanted to have a looper that was always ready to go (minimal setup) and could slave to midi clock. That and knobs, and buttons give a surer feel that what you're doing is making something happen, using the ipad with one hand while you are playing something with the other is questionable, like -did that button tap work? How far am I moving this knob? Am I actually moving the knob?

Before I got the 505 I was thinking about setting up a midi controller with Loopy, and AUM, to try to piece together a powerful looping setup with an ipad. I resisted the workflow for years, but Loopy has the best midi clock slaving (better than most modern looping pedals) and good midi control. Still, the thing that worries me about using a midi controller with the ios loopers, is getting useful feedback from the led's on the controller, about what is going on with the looper. Is a track playing? Is it recording? The trouble comes from the app communicating back to the controller- most midi control goes one way, so if you do something on the ipad, the controller doesn't know. I'd be interested to hear from people that use an ios looper in a music project, with midi control, if they are getting visual feedback from their controllers, or if they have the app open, where they can see it. I feel like, without an LED that shows you you hit the button, the tendency would be just to hit it extra hard and hope for the best.

Some things the hardware looper is missing that the ios loopers have, is access to the great effects on the ipad, and better project file management. And you can bounce your loops down, put them in a daw, email them, sample them, etc. The fidelity is probably a bit better, keeping the audio in the box. You can use Link with other ipads and apps.

I got the 505 to try the hardware approach, because it is faster and less fiddly to deal with, but the ios approach seems viable too, especially if versatile effects and routing is important to you, as well as importing loops, or exporting the loops into other apps, and sync with other apps.

One sad little fact, is the 505 can act as an audio interface for PC and Mac (super cool!), but not iOS, because it isn't class compliant.

• edited July 2017

@Dubbylabby yeah man I've been eying up Quantiloop with a controller for a little bit, never took the plunge. It does seem to be a very powerful looper. I think I like the instant fx control of the rc505 vs. a complex Audiobus/AUM MIDI fx setup. Even though I know the latter is more powerful.

@syrupcore said:
    Might help to know what is it about the flow of Loopy you don't like?

Its really just me not putting in the time in to use it...I know its a very capable looper, and I almost got a Fc1010 to use with it but didn't because I'm using my hands more these days without a guitar in it...thats why Im looking at the rc505. I think I just don't like going back to the loopy screen from other apps. If I had the rc505 hardware in front of me and just Audiobus and Lauchpad switching MIDI channels would work better for me.

@Gaia.Tree said:
    That being said I do really love my Boss RC202 and would suggest that over the 505 purely because the build quality is much much better

I agree about the 202 build...the 505 does not seem as sturdy. But the 202 does not have a stereo aux in like the 505...which gives me 4 potential input options instead of 3.

Thanks everybody....I think I'm going to go with the rc505 until I change my mind, sell it and get something else... :wink: # gearaddiction

• Since you mentioned on point FX control, I use both the rc202 (used to be 505) and quantiloop in my live sets. QL is damn close in its quick FX tweaking especially if you use Turnado and map the 8 fx to a knobby controller (u do know it can host AU and IAA fx in it? ) and the new input routing in the beta means u don't have to use AB/AUM at all...

• But yeah, 505 is a joy to play with and no setup headaches like iOS sometimes has. Just be sure u baby them jacks on the back, they are very very weak.

• @Processaurus said:
    One sad little fact, is the 505 can act as an audio interface for PC and Mac (super cool!), but not iOS, because it isn't class compliant.

Oh man thanks for that...that was one of the bonus selling points for me was being able to use it as an interface. But no iOS is no bueno but I think I can deal with it.
    I agree with you about the hardware stability...just something about it that feels good to me. Thanks bro...

• @Gaia.Tree said: (u do know it can host AU and IAA fx in it? ) and the new input routing in the beta means u don't have to use AB/AUM at all...

After reading this and taking another look at the website and working out the possible setups in my head.....Yeah man, I see why you use it! Wow...hosting and controlling a drum app like future drummer etc within the app itself. FX routing, Save banks for different controllers, midi master/slave...This could be an amazing looper for me...a bit more setup than rc505, but damn!

• Yeah, I'm slowly ironing out all kinks and getting it super dialed in, but it's got mad potential.

• IF you have an extra iPhone or iPad you could try using Audiobus Remote to keep track and trigger recording for it and whatever else you have running.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Since you mentioned on point FX control, I use both the rc202 (used to be 505) and quantiloop in my live sets.

I'd be interested to know how you use your 202. I have one but beside a bit of tinkering I haven't yet found the golden way of integrating it in my HW/SW setup.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Or... just spitballing Kaos Pad 3

• edited July 2017
    • Rc505 wins in ready2go but lacks in some many things...
    • Roland RCs are known for being bad midi clock slaves.
    • Quantiloop and GTL (beta at the moment) can host AUv3 as fx insert so no need for AB/AUM as someone pointed.
    • Loopy/AB remote for feedback as someother pointed. Loopy itself is the feedback most users could need. It could be possible to get feedback from controller with Midiflow but a bit redundant (usually demanded from hardware people) I prefer use the time to loop instead coding layouts and strokes (one of the pro points of RCs)
    • Ableton link ftw...
    • GTL sections make it near to Ableton than any RC. More similar to hardware arranger with intro, bridge, chorus, fill in... and I asked for to the dev about "load next/previous song" from midi command itself (like ehx68000) so you can just prepare your playlist and don't worry about "gaps' between songs. It's on the way if I understood right his answer at forums.

So it depends a lot in workflow and how much effort in setup vs features you want to implement. If you are going to the "freestyling route" like Beardyman then RCs are enough; if you need to go further and make some structured songs then GTL is the winner. For in the middle psycodelic rock Quantiloop has great features well implemented ATM.

These are my 2cents, mate :wink:

• @audiblevideo said:
    IF you have an extra iPhone or iPad you could try using Audiobus Remote to keep track and trigger recording for it and whatever else you have running.

I thought about about that, and its a good idea for sure, especially since the AB3 update. I have a dedicated ipad mini 1 for Impaktor that could be using AB remote...

• edited July 2017

@audiblevideo said:
    IF you have an extra iPhone or iPad you could try using Audiobus Remote to keep track and trigger recording for it and whatever else you have running.

I thought about about that, and its a good idea for sure, especially since the AB3 update. I have a dedicated ipad mini 1 for Impaktor that could be using AB remote...

@audiblevideo said:
    Or... just spitballing Kaos Pad 3

Im familiar with KP3, my friends got one...
    but could you explain spitballing?

• edited July 2017

@Dubbylabby said:

• Rc505 wins in ready2go but lacks in some many things...
    • Roland RCs are known for being bad midi clock slaves.
    • Quantiloop and GTL (beta at the moment) can host AUv3 as fx insert so no need for AB/AUM as someone pointed.
    • Loopy/AB remote for feedback as someother pointed. Loopy itself is the feedback most users could need. It could be possible to get feedback from controller with Midiflow but a bit redundant (usually demanded from hardware people) I prefer use the time to loop instead coding layouts and strokes (one of the pro points of RCs)
    • Ableton link ftw...
    • GTL sections make it near to Ableton than any RC. More similar to hardware arranger with intro, bridge, chorus, fill in... and I asked for to the dev about "load next/previous song" from midi command itself (like ehx68000) so you can just prepare your playlist and don't worry about "gaps' between songs. It's on the way if I understood right his answer at forums.

So it depends a lot in workflow and how much effort in setup vs features you want to implement. If you are going to the "freestyling route" like Beardyman then RCs are enough; if you need to go further and make some structured songs then GTL is the winner. For in the middle psycodelic rock Quantiloop has great features well implemented ATM.

These are my 2cents, mate :wink:

Thanks bro...good to know about the weak MIDI Clock. This is very important in my setup because I have a lot of hardware and ios syncing together. Can't have a weak link. How bad is this known issue?
    I'm starting to move towards Quantiloop now...the feature set is just badass now that I've thought it out. Just need the right controller...

• I just googled "Roland Rc midi clock issue" and

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1033197-rc-505-sync-issues-slave-mode.html

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/207358086

It seems Rc505 works a bit better than older RC since these never worked well as slaves and disabling tempo sync avoid the feature regular issue of these. So if you still want to go the Rc505 route first try it with your gear to be sure it works.

The weird thing is Rc505 came later than LoopyHD and has less features :mrgreen:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    It seems Rc505 works a bit better than older RC since these never worked well as slaves

I guess they solved any issues on the RC-202, since mine always gets a tight sync when slaving to my hardware MIDI clock.

• edited July 2017

@brambos said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    It seems Rc505 works a bit better than older RC since these never worked well as slaves

I guess they solved any issues on the RC-202, since mine always gets a tight sync when slaving to my hardware MIDI clock.

Better later than never. Now they just need to release a phrase looper with Ableton link :trollface:
    Just kidding, I used to love Roland but they decieved me so many times so I don't trust them anymore in addition they gear is overpriced IMO. For the price of Rc505 at its release time (around 600€) it was expensive than the combo iPad+dock. It was one of those products what broke the oxymoron "iPad cheap".
    source: loopermusic.com/price-tracker

That fact with the impressive work LoopyHd developer done made me forgot about RC505 (which was my perfect machine dream wish 3 years before). Also I have some professional friends gigging with it who notify me about "bricked" units and hearing from other artist travelling with few units as backup due being a common problem.

ITOH and being a bit more constructive almost seems Roland is debugging them and added some new features like quantized loop recording...
    http://au.boss.info/products/rc-505/

• Used the 505 for years. Never had a problem, MIDI worked perfect.
    You can't beat knobs and sliders.

• @Tommygun said:
    Used the 505 for years. Never had a problem, MIDI worked perfect.

As slave?

• @brambos said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Since you mentioned on point FX control, I use both the rc202 (used to be 505) and quantiloop in my live sets.

I'd be interested to know how you use your 202. I have one but beside a bit of tinkering I haven't yet found the golden way of integrating it in my HW/SW setup.

Well I have one footswitch just for my wind instruments (I beatbox into didgeridoo, flutes, ocarina etc etc) and do all other stuff via hand. I always build my songs live and in the moment and my sets are about 50% off the cuff improv.

I don't use any synths in this project so far ,just wind instruments and voice.

At this point I lean towards the 202 when I'm looking to do more danceable, glitchy and chaotic stuff, and use QL when I'm doing something more "songlike" with more vocals etc etc.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Tommygun said:
    Used the 505 for years. Never had a problem, MIDI worked perfect.

As slave?

Yeah, I'm curious too...
    Because I'm going to have it synced with a MIDI thru box with a voicelive 3 looper, two iPads, Launchpad Pro, Electribe, among other things. I don't want something with a weak clock sync. I think I'm just going to pull the triggger on it, and test it with all my gear, as was suggested...I can always return it. I'll let everybody know how it goes....

• edited July 2017

I would rather use a midi controller and loopy hd. I prefer blocs wave normally, but it doesent have the same midi controllability that loopy hd does. Its somuch easier to get the recordings to use from ipad than from a looper

• edited July 2017

I use RC505, VoiceLive Touch 2, iConnectAudio4+, iConnectMIDI4+, YouRock MIDI Guitar, Roland Handsonic, a laptop running Kontakt, iPad Air2, iPhone 6S, FCB1010 footboard.

Currently I run Loopy on the iPhone and various instruments on iPad Air2.

RC505 is master MIDI Clock. All loop and effect devices sync'd via MIDI Clock.

My partner in my band has an almost identical setup except he doesnt use Loopy and has a Wavedrum instead of the Handsonic. His RC505 slaves to mine.

We have 4 hardware loopers and one software looper all locked in sync.

The system update a while back for the RC505 added some much needed improvements for external MIDI controllers such as the FCB1010.

What I like most about the RC505 is the FX options.

But truth be told, Loopy is the heart of my system because I love the controller macros. We physically play and record all loops on guitars, basses, midi controllers, percussion devices and iOS apps like Thumbjam, so we rely heavily on our FCB1010s to send CC etc. No hands needed. Loopy works great with FCB1010.

I can recommend RC505 but if the main goal is for optimal controller input by foot, I'd use FCB1010, an iConnectivity interface and Loopy on a dedicated iPad

• @d4d0ug said:
    Fwiw I use a TC electronic ditto x4 for hw looper. It has midi in and in the most recent firmware you can control all the settings with midi cc. I mainly use this to loop guitars, bass etc, and love that I can sync with iPad. I have played with it to loop hardware synths too, but never iOS apps - I use loopy hd (or recently quantiloop).

Could you write up a quick tutorial on how you do this