Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: any Logic Pro users here?

I've been wanting LPx for a while now but I already have mainstage and all the additional content downloaded on my MBP. Just wondering if I can just download the base LP and use all the instruments from mainstage without redownloading?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• The content is 'shared' between the apps, so you should be good to go.

• Thanks @Samu ,That's what I was hoping for! Doesn't seem like they all show in GB though, but it might just be me.
    Another question is LPX a huge step up from GB?
    Thanks

• edited July 2017

@Bootsy said:
    Thanks @Samu ,That's what I was hoping for! Doesn't seem like they all show in GB though, but it might just be me.
    Thanks

Yes, it's a whole new universum :)
    I also think you can download more content if you own Logic.

• @Cib said:

@Bootsy said:
    Thanks @Samu ,That's what I was hoping for! Doesn't seem like they all show in GB though, but it might just be me.
    Thanks

Yes, it's a whole new universum :)
    I also think you can download more content if you own Logic.

Sweet! Thanks @Cib

• They hid a lot of Logic's power behind the "Advanced Features" menu. When you first open it, it should be pretty familiar to any GB user; if you enable the advanced functionality, the wood panels disappear and you start seeing a lot more options.

They also split some of it off, so you're not really overloaded with irrelevant features -- I don't deal with notation, surround sound, video, etc. so I just left those boxes unchecked.

I moved from Ableton to Logic two years ago and while I still like/occasionally use Live 9, Logic quickly became my go-to. Especially once they strengthened the compatibility with GarageBand for iOS. I do, however, wish they would implement Link.

• I have Logic Pro X and I really love it. It has become my go-to DAW. I still have a ton yet to learn, but since I started digging into it, I feel like I am finally learning how to produce decent-sounding music.

• @jrjulius said:
    They hid a lot of Logic's power behind the "Advanced Features" menu. When you first open it, it should be pretty familiar to any GB user; if you enable the advanced functionality, the wood panels disappear and you start seeing a lot more options.

They also split some of it off, so you're not really overloaded with irrelevant features -- I don't deal with notation, surround sound, video, etc. so I just left those boxes unchecked.

I moved from Ableton to Logic two years ago and while I still like/occasionally use Live 9, Logic quickly became my go-to. Especially once they strengthened the compatibility with GarageBand for iOS. I do, however, wish they would implement Link.

@RulesOfBlazon said:
    I have Logic Pro X and I really love it. It has become my go-to DAW. I still have a ton yet to learn, but since I started digging into it, I feel like I am finally learning how to produce decent-sounding music.

@RulesOfBlazon said:
    I have Logic Pro X and I really love it. It has become my go-to DAW. I still have a ton yet to learn, but since I started digging into it, I feel like I am finally learning how to produce decent-sounding music.

Thanks a lot @jrjulius @RulesOfBlazon bout to pull the trigger. I had studio one 2 pro but never got on with it. So hoping I'll do better with LPX

• Logic is by far the best Desktop all-round DAW. I’m mostly using Auria now, but I often come back to Logic for Flex-Pitching/Melodyning vocals and for orchestral work (for which I need Kontakt).

• edited July 2017

It depends of course if you need all this things but Logic Pro X can do things no iOS DAW allow me yet like stacked tracks, which i use very often.
    Some things took me a while to explore but it has some powerful and flexible routings and a large community which is helpful too.
    My favorite new feature after the last update is that i can now use Logic midi fx modulator to modulate every automation parameter via learn with a LFO or envelope.
    Also Logic's intern synth and FX are very very high quality.
    Logic comes with tons of excellent designed sounds to explore.
    For me it's just the best DAW ever and it still gets free updates (which are huge) every few months.
    I just payed €179 when i bought it, it seems it costs now €229 here (Germany).
    I also would not want to learn another DAW since i know it very well after about 3 years of use.
    But still much to learn and explore.
    What is great it can be easy as Garage Band but also very deep and complex if you want.
    Oh and i like that it's ready for MPE usage.

• LPX is a fantastic DAW for traditional linear track music production. Should cost far more than it does—actually used to be much more. But it’s only as powerful as what you know how to do with it, and want to do with it. Gotta put the time into learning it and, fortunately, there’s hours and hours of good instruction on video, both free and paid.

• @lovadamusic said:
    LPX is a fantastic DAW for traditional linear track music production. Should cost far more than it does—actually used to be much more. But it’s only as powerful as what you know how to do with it, and want to do with it. Gotta put the time into learning it and, fortunately, there’s hours and hours of good instruction on video, both free and paid.

A good thing about LPX is that if you have no idea how to use it, it works on a very basic level exactly like one would think it works - ie, much like GarageBand does. It doesn't just sit there doing nothing and emitting nothing for years and years until you might eventually say the magic words (like most iOS recording studio apps or sequencer apps (except cubasis)).

Incidentally, you say LPX is for traditional linear track music production. What other sort is there, on a computer? I mean, there's nowhere to attach a reel of tape onto and lace it up, as I'd expect from a truly traditional recorder?

• @Cib said:
    It depends of course if you need all this things but Logic Pro X can do things no iOS DAW allow me yet like stacked tracks, which i use very often.
    Some things took me a while to explore but it has some powerful and flexible routings and a large community which is helpful too.
    My favorite new feature after the last update is that i can now use Logic midi fx modulator to modulate every automation parameter via learn with a LFO or envelope.
    For me it's just the best DAW ever and it still gets free updates (which are huge) every few months.
    I also would not want to learn another DAW since i know it very well after about 3 years of use.
    What is great it can be easy as Garage Band but also very deep and complex if you want.

Isn't AUM a way to stack instruments, just like in Logic Pro X?
    Please explain otherwise what Logic do different...

• @lovadamusic said:
    LPX is a fantastic DAW for traditional linear track music production. Should cost far more than it does—actually used to be much more. But it’s only as powerful as what you know how to do with it, and want to do with it. Gotta put the time into learning it and, fortunately, there’s hours and hours of good instruction on video, both free and paid.

True.
    My first "DAW" i used proper was NanoStudio :)
    After a while i wanted to do more and bought a macbook pro 15" for a very good price mainly for music creation and sound design (which is my main use still for it).
    Garage Band was a good start and if you reach it´s borders it was a natural thing to upgrade to LPX.
    For simpler things and staying in a self-contained app iOS is really great but DAW´s which feels more like desktop ports but missing important features like Auria (of course it just what i feel) feels not right on an iPad for me.
    The thing is i would love to just use 1 maybe 2 iOS DAW´s and really learn them inside out.
    Even some pro sound designers using very old versions of DAW´s (like Cubase 5) because they know them inside out and won´t be distracted from the main thing...creating content.
    So if you start to choose your main DAW and like it......just build on this.
    At the beginning i was scared about the huge desktop thing but after some time you have figured out if it´s the right workflow or not.
    I was amazed by all the great "cheap" apps but then i just starting to collect them, realized that i need several apps to achieve what i can do much faster with one bigger tool when i take some time to learn it.
    I´m still a huge fan of iOS and the new iPads looks awesome (especially that 120Hz screen.....i wished they put that in their 3000 dollar macbooks) but while they slowly change iOS into a little macOS with multi-touch it will never be a replacement and it´s reinventing things i can do since years faster and more efficient right now.
    You first should think about what you really want to do and start with just a few tools. If you really feel you reach a border, then you can look further.
    Sadly you can´t demo Logic but if you like Garage Band on the mac and want more Logic should be your friend.
    Depending on what kind of music you make you even won´t need any other tools.
    Like i said, LPX comes with great FX, synths, samplers, mid FX, loops, free content for Alchemy and you also can get million of Apple loops from third party for free and whatever.
    Logic´s Drummer is great and things like the amp designer are awesome.
    Then there is Sculpture, Delay Designer, Space Designer which are worth alone the price of Logic and more..........
    I´m sounding like a fan boy but really, beside great free tools and NI Komplete package there is no better value for music creation like LPX.

• edited July 2017

@u0421793 said:

@lovadamusic said:

A good thing about LPX is that if you have no idea how to use it, it works on a very basic level exactly like one would think it works - ie, much like GarageBand does. It doesn't just sit there doing nothing and emitting nothing for years and years until you might eventually say the magic words (like most iOS recording studio apps or sequencer apps (except cubasis)).

Incidentally, you say LPX is for traditional linear track music production. What other sort is there, on a computer? I mean, there's nowhere to attach a reel of tape onto and lace it up, as I'd expect from a truly traditional recorder?

I think Logic is pretty straightforward on a basic level. It was my first DAW so, for me, I needed lots of help to dig deeper into it. I’m still no expert, and I’d be struggling with parts of the app if not for being patient with the big learning curve. If one isn’t going to put the time in, or doesn’t need the features, I imagine GarageBand would be a better choice.

I was referring to Logic as linear, as opposed to DAWs that do the loop-based, clip-launching thing… of which I know little. Logic may not be so fantastic for everyone.

• edited July 2017

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

Yes, maybe AUM can do it in a similar way but it´s so much more easy with Logic.
    F.e. i can load several instances of different synths, put different plug-in FX and midi FX on each of this tracks.
    Then i can put them all into one stacked track where i can put again several FX in the chain (like a layer above).
    Now i can save this just as single performance instrument and load it up in a few seconds next time.
    I can hide all the 20, 30 or whatever plug-ins it include and see just one track in my DAW. I can easy extend the view and edit single parts of it if i want and resave it.
    Then i just can copy the whole thing and so on.
    Like i said, it´s awesome if you use it and want to recall such things in a few seconds if you want.
    I´m a fan of huge, complex sounding patches which i play just as one giant performance. It´s mostly how i start the "ground" for a new song.
    Also even just with the Logic intern instruments and FX it sounds so much better than anything i´ve ever done with iOS. Logic and my old macbook just can handle so much stuff.
    50 or more arpeggiated sounds played as one giant polyrythmic soundscape with each track gots it´s own FX and midi filters, modulators, scales etc.
    But i never expect that iOS will do such things as good. IOS is more advanced in other areas and no thing or workflow will replace the other.
    I was searching of that ONE thing......of course it´s the search for the holy grail sitting on the unicorns back :D
    Take just the best of all this tools and more important....if you are happy and don´t feel limited in your imagination and you are inspired, don´t change anything.
    There are times i wish i still would just use my old iPhone and NanoStudio but once you lick the blood it´s over!

• So maybe i could use something like this in the future to get touch on my mac too ;)
    Of course it won´t replace the great iOS multi-touch experience.
    But these "gimmicks" show me that there might be a solution for everything somewhere in the not so far future.

• Logic Pro is easily the best value for money DAW anywhere

The amount of extras you get for such a low price is crazy

• Best of both worlds using LPX and iOS. New feature allows saving LPX tracks and sending tham as one track to iOS GB. Then add tracks from the plethora of iOS synths and bundle them back to LPX. Great joy!

• edited July 2017

@grizzlegritz said:
    Best of both worlds using LPX and iOS. New feature allows saving LPX tracks and sending tham as one track to iOS GB. Then add tracks from the plethora of iOS synths and bundle them back to LPX. Great joy!

Indeed, or connect your iOS devices via the usb to lightning cable direct to Logic. Works great and i can route all my iOS goodies trough my favorite plug-in FX.
    But it will be even better with iOS 11 if we can use it also as midi input without a third party app then.
    Animoog or Model 15 trough B2 = :o :o :o

• @Cib said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

Yes, maybe AUM can do it in a similar way but it´s so much more easy with Logic.
    F.e. i can load several instances of different synths, put different plug-in FX and midi FX on each of this tracks.
    Then i can put them all into one stacked track where i can put again several FX in the chain (like a layer above).
    Now i can save this just as single performance instrument and load it up in a few seconds next time.
    I can hide all the 20, 30 or whatever plug-ins it include and see just one track in my DAW. I can easy extend the view and edit single parts of it if i want and resave it.
    Like i said, it´s awesome if you use it and want to recall such things in a few seconds if you want.
    I´m a fan of huge, complex sounding patches which i play just as one giant performance. It´s mostly how i start the "ground" for a new song.
    Also even just with the Logic intern instruments and FX it sounds so much better than anything i´ve ever done with iOS. Logic and my old macbook just can handle so much stuff.
    50 or more arpeggiated sounds played as one giant polyrythmic soundscape with each track gots it´s own FX and midi filters, modulators, scales etc.
    But i never expect that iOS will do such things as good. IOS is more advanced in other areas and no thing or workflow will replace the other.
    I was searching of that ONE thing......of course it´s the search for the holy grail sitting on the unicorns back :D
    Take just the best of all this tools and more important....if you are happy and don´t feel limited in your imagination and you are inspired, don´t change anything.
    There are times i wish i still would just use my old iPhone and NanoStudio but once you lick the blood it´s over!

But, still AUM can do many of this things also... When using different mixed busses...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

But, still AUM can do many of this things also... When using different mixed busses...

It's not the same for me and i couldn't copy and duplicate a whole AUM set-up change the octave and play it together.
    But if it works for you it is the right tool.
    But yes, i think AUM is the closest to this.
    Otherwise some workstation synths maybe like LayR, iWavestation and then combine them with AUM etc.
    But it's not what i would do with iOS anymore.

• Logic can be a flaky PITA at times though. Mine refuses to monitor external inputs (e.g. guitar), until I quit and reload it. I spent hours trying to work out what I was doing wrong, only to eventually discover it was a quirk.

It's currently also refusing to allow me to draw notes in the sequencer in the normal way. I have to right-click 'insert note' and then move it to position, and resize.

It's a powerful thing, but not without issues.

I'm also trying out Ableton Lite (free with Gadget), after abandoning the full version about 6 years ago. Working well with Komplete plugins, but the UI is a bit like making music in a spreadsheet.

• Would be so beyond cool if @WaveMachineLabs added track stacks to Auria...

• edited July 2017

@Cib said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Cib said:

It's not the same for me and i couldn't copy and duplicate a whole AUM set-up change the octave and play it together.
    But if it works for you it is the right tool.
    But yes, i think AUM is the closest to this.
    Otherwise some workstation synths maybe like LayR, iWavestation and then combine them with AUM etc.
    But it's not what i would do with iOS anymore.

Ok. But I have a Mac and Logic Pro X, but, for me it’s the opposite, never use Logic...
    I’m totally fine with my three iPads when it’s times for some music...