Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any word on SynthScaper or the PulseCode app yet?

1235»

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

I lied, I spent an hour yesterday learning this, and there's some real genius to be had with the arps. Haven't gotten to loading my samples, but some of the included ones are fantastic (lookin at you, Elka).

The best I can describe it is that is the Soviet version of Layr. And I much prefer it, despite the UI.

Is there any point in having both? I don't have either, but to be honest I had a pretty good synthscape going this morning with Nave, Mitosynth and Addictive powered by AUM. I like the 70's Gong preset on this one though.

It makes sense to have both since synthscaper is samplebased

Hmmm. Definitely tempted by this one, particularly with the intro price. Throwing samples into the mix edges it towards Absynth territory. Would love to hear more examples though, it's all a bit 'strings' at the moment.

Just a little patch i am playjng with that has a tc11 sample. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hwmjb57cj1nujj/Synthscaper messin aboot.m4a?dl=0

The tc 11 sample...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8a75fs15uwkion/cubasis - Bit Shape TC-11 (1)-trimmed.wav?dl=0

Thanks Gus - yeah that's a bit different!

Good to hear the original sample too, to compare it with the treated version.

Is it hard getting samples in? Reading through this thread it all sounds a bit baffling, but I guess it makes more sense when you're using it.

• Soviet is a perfect word.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

I lied, I spent an hour yesterday learning this, and there's some real genius to be had with the arps. Haven't gotten to loading my samples, but some of the included ones are fantastic (lookin at you, Elka).

The best I can describe it is that is the Soviet version of Layr. And I much prefer it, despite the UI.

Is there any point in having both? I don't have either, but to be honest I had a pretty good synthscape going this morning with Nave, Mitosynth and Addictive powered by AUM. I like the 70's Gong preset on this one though.

Hmmm. Definitely tempted by this one, particularly with the intro price. Throwing samples into the mix edges it towards Absynth territory. Would love to hear more examples though, it's all a bit 'strings' at the moment.

Just a little patch i am playjng with that has a tc11 sample. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hwmjb57cj1nujj/Synthscaper messin aboot.m4a?dl=0

The tc 11 sample...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8a75fs15uwkion/cubasis - Bit Shape TC-11 (1)-trimmed.wav?dl=0

Is it hard getting samples in? Reading through this thread it all sounds a bit baffling, but I guess it makes more sense when you're using it.

To send samples is super easy, just use the export/send to option from audioshare to synthscaper then you can just select the sample in Synthscaper on the OSCs. Easy peasy.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about the UI. i just tell myself that the UI is perfect but my understanding of the synth engine is not. Whenever I understand something more about the engine, then the UI makes more sense. Trying to grock UI first is not the way here imho.

• edited July 2017

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

The tc 11 sample...

To send samples is super easy, just use the export/send to option from audioshare to synthscaper then you can just select the sample in Synthscaper on the OSCs. Easy peasy.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about the UI. i just tell myself that the UI is perfect but my understanding of the synth engine is not. Whenever I understand something more about the engine, then the UI makes more sense. Trying to grock UI first is not the way here imho.

Cheers Gus, Audioshare connectivity is my favourite method so a box ticked there.

Definitely on the list, this one, more so than Layr. I'm getting up to speed with my Live/Logic/Komplete setup, and I'm thinking creating bits and pieces on the iPad and then importing them onto the desk/laptop for further tinkering is the way to go.

With this one though, I'd bring in a few samples from Komplete, bend them about and then export them to the desktop. Or something.

• edited July 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

The tc 11 sample...

Cheers Gus, Audioshare connectivity is my favourite method so a box ticked there.

Definitely on the list, this one, more so than Layr. I'm getting up to speed with my Live/Logic/Komplete setup, and I'm thinking creating bits and pieces on the iPad and then importing them onto the desk/laptop for further tinkering is the way to go.

With this one though, I'd bring in a few samples from Komplete, bend them about and then export them to the desktop. Or something.

Cool man! Here is one with samples from Groovebox and Gadget

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qru9ronphrz759i/synthscaper - Records, Synthscape 20170709 131334-normalized-converted.m4a?dl=0

Source...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgwwhrohki3ub1c/Epic Industry copy copy copy copy 1 Poly-8 Cm 90bpm-normalized.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8az6vcg49z9dajc/Ch 1 - 120 bpm - 001-trimmed(1)-normalized.wav?dl=0

• edited July 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

The tc 11 sample...

A patterning beat (Pants of Death drum kits) with some Synthscaper overdubs recorded in Cubasis, over compressed in Final Touch... ;). Oh yah and a clickbass patch from Fruitbat in Shoom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyxrfmslqscqd0j/yo-monz-land.m4a?dl=0

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Thanks for the main tip!

The tc 11 sample...

A patterning beat (Pants of Death drum kits) with some Synthscaper overdubs recorded in Cubasis, over compressed in Final Touch... ;). Oh yah and a clickbass patch from Fruitbat in Shoom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyxrfmslqscqd0j/yo-monz-land.m4a?dl=0

Very nice Mr Gus, and I'm getting a feel of what this synth can do. It seems to bring something new to the table, so I think Mrs Monzo will agree that I should add this to my toolkit.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Soviet is a perfect word.

It so freaking is!

• Igor published this if anyone is interested in delving deeper into Synthscaper.

• Be careful people, this one is highly addictive and you can easily loose hrs. of time even if your trying not too!

• @Tritonman said:
    Be careful people, this one is highly addictive and you can easily loose hrs. of time even if your trying not too!

Hah, Absolutely! I saw three hours on the couch vanish in an instant,

• @Carnbot said:
    Igor published this if anyone is interested in delving deeper into Synthscaper.

Awesome, thanks!

• edited July 2017

@Carnbot thanks for the diagram, that actually helps a lot
    @AudioGus my kind of jam, as I often said as a teenager (70s) you gotta hear this with headphones on - so many aural treats in this mix

• What a great soundscape-synth this SynthScaper is! I'm very impressed. Three oscillators presented 'in (a movable) space'; great keyboard(options) too: with scales, octave selections, splits and double view (click Height on the (near) bottom right and then Double on the top left), Hold per oscillator (!), etc. Very, very nice presets also...
    Fairly simple UI as a matter of fact: preset-selector and oscillators stereo-spacing in the middle; keyboard on the bottom, global settings-buttons-column on the right and (entry level) settings-buttons for the three oscillators (incl. filter-, arp- and keyboard-settings) in a column on the left. Nice!
    Now Nave and Wavemapper are resp. second and third on my list of favourite 'soundscape'-synths...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @AudioGus my kind of jam, as I often said as a teenager (70s) you gotta hear this with headphones on - so many aural treats in this mix

Thanks Littlewoodg, I am all about the headphone listening. Subtlety and hearing layers of texture reveal themselves over multiple listens is my favorite thing. First time it hit me was on The Orb's 'Orbusterrarum' album.

• Can I just confirm: each oscillator has 6 LFOs. You can assign one of them to each of the 5 fixed destinations (or the same LFO to each destination if you want).

It doesn't look like there is a way to assign an LFO to anything other than the fixed assignments. Is that right?

On the left side of the LFO screen is 'effect to LFO'. Where are these effects found?

Also, can anyone explain the 'set 0', 'set 1' stuff in terms of what it does when activated? I want to know the theory so I can plan to achieve things with it!

• @AudioGus said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks Littlewoodg, I am all about the headphone listening. Subtlety and hearing layers of texture reveal themselves over multiple listens is my favorite thing. First time it hit me was on The Orb's 'Orbusterrarum' album.

Oh bugger, that's one of my favourite albums...

• edited July 2017

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Also, can anyone explain the 'set 0', 'set 1' stuff in terms of what it does when activated? I want to know the theory so I can plan to achieve things with it!

I spent some time with this last night, and this might not be totally correct but it's along the right path.

Each sample clip is essentially marked as a series of addresses, essentially slices. They are numbered with a 20 bit binary number, so that could range from 00000000000000000000 to 11111111111111111111 from start to end.

Above the address mask section you see a string of LEDs. Short clips have around 15 green LEDs on, long ones have all 20. That's just an indication that short clips don't need to use all 20 binary digits to access them.

So your clip has all of these tiny slices, and their addresses count up neatly from beginning to end. Play the clip from start to finish and the addresses clock up in a nice orderly fashion.

Now you add a mask over the top. I'll use a shorter bit addresses for an example. Let's use audio clip address 1000. 4 digits, so you'd see 4 green LEDs lit up above the masking field.

The masking field is actually 32 bits long, but only 20 of them are visible at a time. It's like a slider that you can move right or left with the little triangle thingee. Tap the right most visible square to turn it orange and this is what it does to address 1000:

"Off": it does nothing
    "Set 0" it sets the corresponding address bit to zero. So for address 1000, that would do nothing - but if we used clip address 1111, it would change it to 1110.
    "Set 1" changes bit address 1000 to 1001. Would not affect address 1111
    "Invert" flips the corresponding bit value to it's opposite. 1000 turns into 1001, and 1111 turns into 1110

The reason all of this is useful is that the clip plays back all of its pieces by playing one, adding 1 to the address and playing the next, repeat repeat repeat - climbing through the clip one unit at a time.

When you stick a mask on top you introduce a hop into the playback counter. I think that the play counter then continues to increment from that new point. This is why if you turn a single address light on near one end of the field, not much seems to happen - while at the other end a lot happens. One end is a lot "bouncier" than the other, because where you place that address mask mark affects the size of the time jump in your audio clip. Tiny jumps do less than big ones.

Now the mask itself is 32 bits, and it's like a slider. so you can light up a bunch of address spots in it and some are out of sight - therefore not in use. But slide the triangle thing and you bring them into view, and into use. Add an LFO to the address mask and you can zing that whole 32 bit mask over your 20 bit audio clip address and have an ever changing set of "jump to this part of the clip, now jump to this other part of the clip" set of instructions.

Amazing how much jumping addresses changes the sound of your audio sample!

• @Angie said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I spent some time with this last night, and this might not be totally correct but it's along the right path.

Each sample clip is essentially marked as a series of address, essentially slices. They are numbered with a 20 bit binary number, so that could range from 00000000000000000000 to 11111111111111111111 from start to end.

Above the address mask section you see a string of LEDs. Short clips have around green LEDs on, long ones have all 20. That's just an indication that short clips don't need to use all 20 binary digits to access them.

So your clip has all of these tiny slices, and their addresses count up neatly from beginning to end. Play the clip from start to finish and the addresses clock up in a nice orderly fashion.

Now you add a mask over the top. I'll use shorter bit addresses for an example. Let's use audio clip address 1000. 4 digits, so you'd see 4 green LEDs lit up above the masking field.

The masking field is actually 32 bits long, but only 20 of them are visible at a time. It's like a slider that you can move right or left with the little triangle thingee. Tap the right most visible square to turn it orange and this is what it does to address 1000:

"Set 0" it sets the corresponding address bit to zero. So for address 1000, that would do nothing - but if we used clip address 1111, it would change it to 1110.
    "Invert" flips the corresponding bit value to it's opposite. 1000 turns into 1001, and 1111 turns into 1110

The reason all of this is useful is that the clip plays back all of it's pieces by playing one, adding 1 to the address and playing the next, repeat repeat repeat - climbing through the clip one unit at a time.

When you stick a mask on top you introduce a hop into the playback counter. I think that the play counter then continues to increment from that new point. This is why if you turn a single address light on near one end of the field, not much seems to happen - while at the other end a lot happens. One end is a lot "bouncier" than the other, because where you place that address mask mark affects the size of the time jump in your audio clip. Tiny jumps do less than big ones.

Now the mask itself is 32 bits, and it's like a slider. so you can light up a bunch of address spots in it and some are out of sight - therefore not use. But slide the triangle thing and you bring them into view, and into use. Add an LFO to the address mask and you can zing that whole 32 bit mask over your 20 bit audio clip address and have an ever changing set of "jump to this part of the clip, now jump to this other part of the clip" set of instructions.

This app is a total adventure!

• @RustiK said:
    This app is a total adventure!

It's really cool to compare this to the address masking tools in Fieldscaper and Soundscaper. Fieldscaper uses a set of transformation rules that include Set1 and Set0, but also has Set A (Set Above) and Set B (Set Below) which "powerflip" big swaths of address bits all at once. And Fieldscaper also has "Area" which just cuts the clip into 20 slices and lets you pick one, or lfo amongst several adjacent ones.

Soundscaper is wild. You start with 20 bit binary addresses, and then have 5 masks you can plop over them. Each mask can be set to a different logic condition and you can trigger any of the masks to make them slide.

I think all three of these apps are just amazing!

• @Angie said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Each sample clip is essentially marked as a series of addresses, essentially slices. They are numbered with a 20 bit binary number, so that could range from 00000000000000000000 to 11111111111111111111 from start to end.

Above the address mask section you see a string of LEDs. Short clips have around 15 green LEDs on, long ones have all 20. That's just an indication that short clips don't need to use all 20 binary digits to access them.

Now you add a mask over the top. I'll use a shorter bit addresses for an example. Let's use audio clip address 1000. 4 digits, so you'd see 4 green LEDs lit up above the masking field.

The reason all of this is useful is that the clip plays back all of its pieces by playing one, adding 1 to the address and playing the next, repeat repeat repeat - climbing through the clip one unit at a time.

Now the mask itself is 32 bits, and it's like a slider. so you can light up a bunch of address spots in it and some are out of sight - therefore not in use. But slide the triangle thing and you bring them into view, and into use. Add an LFO to the address mask and you can zing that whole 32 bit mask over your 20 bit audio clip address and have an ever changing set of "jump to this part of the clip, now jump to this other part of the clip" set of instructions.

That's some post. Thank you.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Angie said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

That's some post. Thank you.

Word.

Wonderful couple of posts. Thank you.

• Post of the year so far @Angie , good stuff on shining some more light on this gem.

• how do i assign parameters to modulate o. the vertical keyboard slider bar? i'd love to open and close a filter by sliding up and down