Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Made a short EP using only Novation's (err.. Blocs? Ampify's?) iOS apps

Put together a short EP of songs made with my favorite iOS music apps: Blocs Wave, Groovebox, and Launchpad. I wanted to limit myself to these apps and keep the process pretty simple. All tracks were made by jamming with Groovebox and Blocs for a while, then exporting to Launchpad for arranging and recording.

Hope u like <3

Comments

• edited July 2017

I like the approach. Now I'm going to listen the music it was short!
    Like the ambience music and I don't recognize any sample if you where using them from packs :wink:
    I'm more fast-food beatmaker ATM :lol:

Good work!

• Very cool!

• edited July 2017

@Dubbylabby said:
    Like the ambience music and I don't recognize any sample if you where using them from packs :wink:

Good work!

Thanks! This is actually ~95% samples from the IAP packs. I almost never use a sample without chopping it in some way.

• great stuff, mate :)

• It really is a simple workflow that works great ....I did have this on the list for a future Challenge thread (with a twist) :)
    maybe I'll have to do it sooner rather than later

• @pink_sky said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Good work!

Thanks! This is actually ~95% samples from the IAP packs. I almost never use a sample without chopping it in some way.

Blocs is great for that kind of operation and very convenient to use.
    You got remarkably far, as far as it's possible within that closed environment. :+1:
    Hopefully someday they add a single out per sequence feature, the app is just begging for it.

• Nice! Now drop in a Circuit!

• Very well done!

• Nice work, pink_sky!

• @AudioGus said:
    Nice! Now drop in a Circuit!

The Circuit, my favorite Groovebox! I've actually owned 3 (only 2 at once), I think it's a big part of why I have such an affinity for Novation's apps. Picked up a mortgage this year, so I decided to sell off all my hardware and squeeze the most I could out of my iPad Pro. My problem with hardware is that I can't control the GAS, and I'm constantly adding to my setup. Haven't bought any hardware since the great purge, but that'll probably change when the OP-Z drops.

And thanks all for the feedback!

• @Telefunky said:

@pink_sky said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Good work!

Blocs is great for that kind of operation and very convenient to use.
    You got remarkably far, as far as it's possible within that closed environment. :+1:
    Hopefully someday they add a single out per sequence feature, the app is just begging for it.

I'm hoping for more slicing/sequencing features in Blocs, like the option to change the number of beats, or define the start point of each slice individually. Some pitch and envelope features would be cool, too. And a simple high/low DJ filter for each loop "track" would be welcomed.

• @pink_sky said:

@AudioGus said:

The Circuit, my favorite Groovebox! I've actually owned 3 (only 2 at once), I think it's a big part of why I have such an affinity for Novation's apps. Picked up a mortgage this year, so I decided to sell off all my hardware and squeeze the most I could out of my iPad Pro. My problem with hardware is that I can't control the GAS, and I'm constantly adding to my setup. Haven't bought any hardware since the great purge, but that'll probably change when the OP-Z drops.

Will you be able to resist once the Circuit Mono Station lands :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@pink_sky said:

@AudioGus said:

Will you be able to resist once the Circuit Mono Station lands :D

As much as I love the Circuit sequencing, I think if another analog mono synth is going to tempt me back into hardware, it'll be Roland's SE-02.

• @pink_sky said:

Put together a short EP of songs made with my favorite iOS music apps: Blocs Wave, Groovebox, and Launchpad. I wanted to limit myself to these apps and keep the process pretty simple. All tracks were made by jamming with Groovebox and Blocs for a while, then exporting to Launchpad for arranging and recording.

Hope u like <3

Really nice...

Those are some powerful apps... hope we get multi out soon...

• Blocs waves is becoming one of my favs, I have a few iap's but I mainly record from Audiobus into it, or send audio files from Korg Gadget into it. For a quick arrangement I might use Launchpad but for the most part I send it to Ableton Live.

• Wow, extremely creative and well done. With all the categorization​ that goes on in the interwebs it's easy for people to disqualify something because of the genre it's in, the whole "Oh, I don't like ****** music" trip.

I dig the ambient elements, the Burroughs like cut & paste stuff swirling around, it's all very cool. Coming from 3 apps & mainly IAP sample pack mangles makes it more impressive.

There was a thread re: musical generation, arpeggiators, sample packs, etc. where I was critical of the wholesale lifting of drum loops, bass bits, etc. with zero modification, putting them in some sort of order jigsaw style & then calling it a song. This song is the antithesis of that, as @pink_sky used the sounds within the apps as clay which he molded into something uniquely his...to me thats no different than me taking 6 steel wires stretched across wood into a loudspeaker and forming music.

It toom me awhile to realize that I must confess; copyright & intellectual property being of great importance to me made me less than enthusiastic about some cat lifting an ABBA song or something, completely unchanged, then putting house beats & rhymes over it calling it an original song. What pink_sky did on this EP and what the vast majority of iOS Producers I've heard have done is the comlete opposite.

Right on @pink_sky, and as an old school wrestling fan I loved your cover art with Andre, Hulk, Savage, etc...Very cool.

• @JRSIV said:
    Wow, extremely creative and well done. With all the categorization​ that goes on in the interwebs it's easy for people to disqualify something because of the genre it's in, the whole "Oh, I don't like ****** music" trip.

I dig the ambient elements, the Burroughs like cut & paste stuff swirling around, it's all very cool. Coming from 3 apps & mainly IAP sample pack mangles makes it more impressive.

There was a thread re: musical generation, arpeggiators, sample packs, etc. where I was critical of the wholesale lifting of drum loops, bass bits, etc. with zero modification, putting them in some sort of order jigsaw style & then calling it a song. This song is the antithesis of that, as @pink_sky used the sounds within the apps as clay which he molded into something uniquely his...to me thats no different than me taking 6 steel wires stretched across wood into a loudspeaker and forming music.

It toom me awhile to realize that I must confess; copyright & intellectual property being of great importance to me made me less than enthusiastic about some cat lifting an ABBA song or something, completely unchanged, then putting house beats & rhymes over it calling it an original song. What pink_sky did on this EP and what the vast majority of iOS Producers I've heard have done is the comlete opposite.

Right on @pink_sky, and as an old school wrestling fan I loved your cover art with Andre, Hulk, Savage, etc...Very cool.

Hey man, I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the well thought-out response. I was secretly hoping the discussion would go in this direction. I get a little defensive when people dismiss Novation's apps as "paint-by-numbers" although I understand the criticism: these apps do a lot of the work for you, and someone with little to no music production experience can paste the provided elements together into a somewhat cohesive track with very little effort. For me, this is exciting more than threatening. Technology is supposed to push us forward and make life easier, and I think of the next generation of music producers being kids on their iPhones, pushing the boundaries of what us stuffy old dudes define as the "proper" way to produce music.

But I wanted to show that even though Novations app's cater to a more simple, accessible way of making music, it can still be approached in a creative way. My goal was to use a Plunderphonics method to transform the IAP loops into something original. A lot of times, I'm slicing/manipulating samples in a way that's not much different from how I work with raw wave forms in synthesizers. True, I didn't farm these samples myself - people with better equipment, professionally trained ears, and more time farmed them and sold them to me. So that's a shortcut - but is it any more of a shortcut than starting with a synth preset and tweaking it slightly to use in a song? I guess it's debatable. At the end of the day, if you can produce a sample-base track that people enjoy listening to, I don't think they care how many hours you spent digging through record crates.

Hope I'm not getting too philosophical here! But thanks for "getting it". And shout out to a fellow wrestling mark! Aiming for a pro wrestling theme for my next project.