Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How good 12.9" is for music making?

Hi,
I got a 10.5" 2 weeks ago and am quite happy but still, I will exchange it for the 12.9" as soon as my store have stock for 256GB. I went from mini to 10.5 so the leap was huge but for digital art I realised bigger is just better.

I have zillions of music apps so I would like to know how good the 12.9" is for music making. Some say they could never go back to smaller.

I will get it anyways, at least for two weeks to test it with my apps, something that I can not do in the apple store.
That said, I would really like to have musician impressions first.
Any apps worth mentionning that are either better or worst with a huge screen?

Thanks!

Philippe

Comments

• Imo is just better. Maybe tc-11/data are better suited with smaller devices

• edited July 2017

The 12.9 is awesome. Tweaking several AUs in AUM in real time, building large modular synth with Audulus or Zmors with less scrolling or fitting the entire Model 15 into the screen (except the lower effect section)...

• It's a beast. It's like an iPad but with room to breathe - an 88 key keyboard compared to a 49 key one.

• Looks great. What percentage of apps don't fill the screen properly? That's a bit of an issue, right?

• @Heiliger_Bimbam said:
    The 12.9 is awesome. Tweaking several AUs in AUM in real time, building large modular synth with Audulus or Zmors with less scrolling or fitting the entire Model 15 into the screen (except the lower effect section)...

Is that the old or the new iPad 12,9... the one you have?

• edited July 2017

Check out this thread as well, I have a more detailed post there.

I've switched to the new 12.9 and there is no going back for me. I take it everywhere with no issues. Yes, there are few apps optimized for the 12.9 form factor, but even the non-optimized apps look better and are easier to use. More space between knobs, sliders, etc., and they are all bigger so its easier to set them accurately. Bigger keyboards are also easier to play :).

The only real issues with the new 12.9 is that there are no good cases (IMHO) for it yet. The size is identical to the 2015 12.9 so the old cases fit it perfectly, but the flash has moved and the speakers are also slightly different. Old cases block the flash and muffle the speakers. I have a case that is modded to support both that is better than I expected, but none of the 360 cases I would like to get fully support the 2017 12.9 as of today. I expect this to be fixed quickly.

• edited July 2017

@HandOfEmpty said:
    Looks great. What percentage of apps don't fill the screen properly? That's a bit of an issue, right?

I have not run into any where I have noticed this. Probably have only opened about 10% of the apps I have installed so far though, somewhere around 500+ apps on my iPad. :(

• The way I see (and feel) it: the smaller the Device the "thicker" the proverbial glass feels between me and the apps: The iPhone (I have a 6s) feels like a tiny porthole window while my iPad Air1 feels like a one-room apartment (cozy but tight) and finally the 12.9pro: this is the only iOS device I feel like I'm reaching inside / beyond the glass with my hands.

The 12.9 more closely resembles the scale of IRL gear to a degree that may not trick the brain but does stroke it gently if physical gear is or has been part of your world.

It's kinda spectacular.

• @Proppa said:
    The way I see (and feel) it: the smaller the Device the "thicker" the proverbial glass feels between me and the apps: The iPhone (I have a 6s) feels like a tiny porthole window while my iPad Air1 feels like a one-room apartment (cozy but tight) and finally the 12.9pro: this is the only iOS device I feel like I'm reaching inside / beyond the glass with my hands.

The 12.9 more closely resembles the scale of IRL gear to a degree that may not trick the brain but does stroke it gently if physical gear is or has been part of your world.

It's kinda spectacular.

It is. AND it becomes the norm very very quickly. A week and it's not big anymore, just is.

• @Kühl said:

@Heiliger_Bimbam said:

Is that the old or the new iPad 12,9... the one you have?

I'm using the older one with 32GB (still 9GB unused)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    It is. AND it becomes the norm very very quickly. A week and it's not big anymore, just is.

Exactly right - for me the smaller devices "change scale" rather than the BigBoy feeling jumbo: the Air1 feels like (what I think) a Mini is and the non-+ iPhone feels like a postage stamp.

• @Heiliger_Bimbam said:
    I'm using the older one with 32GB (still 9GB unused)

I got the same old 12,9" but 128 gig... about 60+ gig free.
    I use the Leef Mobile Memory stick USB 3 in addition. Works like a charm.
    It's a really good machine, but the primal part of my brain wants the new 12,9" :smile:

• Oh my, all your comments just make me wish they had stock for the 256Gb right now. I can't wait to get used to vastness.
    It will be the perfect fits for my hands, like gloves. The screen is pretty much the size of my 2 hands with open fingers.
    Now I have to convice myself not to go for the 512gb just to get it 3 weeks ahead of time...

• edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    You don't want to hold this device in your hands.
    It's laptop size. And like a laptop it likes to be used on a table...
    You can completely forget about using the gyroscope/ accelerometer. It's just to big.
    You don't want to hold it in your hands while operating it while you are standing.
    My 2 cents

I see this "handheld or table" dichotomy posted everywhere, as if there are no other options; which I find strange.

My iPad is resting on my lap on the couch 99% of the time, I find this the most comfortable usage. I dont't hold the iPad for hours at a time with nothing but my extended arms, and generally if I was going to sit at a table, I'd use my laptop.

The arguments I see against the size of the 12.9 are usually about it being too unwieldy to hold in the hands, to which the proponents often reply 'I use it like a laptop with the keyboard case'. Does no one else use an iPad on their lap like I do?

• edited July 2017
  • edited July 2017

Does anyone actually use an ipad "moving around"? I'm usually on the sofa or at a desk if recording guitar / keyboard. Or on a plane for example. Other than maybe some kind of stage performance or accelerometer based app I don't see the use case for making music while hand-holding an ipad (of any size).

• edited July 2017
  • I did all my iOS tracks while hanging on the sofa and hold it in front of me and play everything with the other hand on screen.
    I did that with my iPhone (still do sometimes) and with my iPad Air as well (which gets uncomfortable after a hour or so).
    I tryed it but could never use an iPad on the lap or flat on a table and look down for hours. Really bad for the neck and back.
    Maybe it's one reason i like notebooks more these days since they are much better for this use.
    On the go......strange that i never did any track outside. I tryed 1-2 times but if i go outside i want to see the world and not beeing a smombie (smartphone zombie).
    I never drive with a bus or train so it's out too and even if i would i couldn't create stuff where i don't feel well and lots of noise and people are around me.
    An iPad with one of those Apple smart keyboards is the worst thing i ever tryed (i like to use a keyboard as midi input or for short cuts).
    The 12.9" might be much better for those tasks while it's not good to hold in one hand.
    Oh damn, in a perfect world i had to buy every size and every device for different situations.

• @Max23 said:
    @willhindson said:

Does anyone actually use an ipad "moving around"? I'm usually on the sofa or at a desk if recording guitar / keyboard. Or on a plane for example. Other than maybe some kind of stage performance or accelerometer based app I don't see the use case for making music while hand-holding an ipad.

I do.
    If I'm after dancy things I want to stand to see if the groove makes my behind wiggle.
    If I do it with a laptop and a high desk, so I can stand in front of it, it feels very different. It's not as direct. I have to jump through more mental hoops.
    I also like to use the gyroscope and stuff, it feels very natural compared to diddeling knobs. It's not as precise but that can be a good thing.

Mister 1%, as you knew already and revel in :)

• I own both 9.5" and a 12.9" iPads. The 12.9" is my main for music-related activities and I LOVE it! It does lose on the portability factor, but the added real estate makes everything so much easier for me. I rarely notice when apps are not optimized for the screen, but almost always appreciate the bigger playing surfaces. I don't dance around with it, but mostly because I'd die if I dropped it. My $0.02 for those on the fence...

• edited July 2017
  • @Cib said:
    I tryed it but could never use an iPad on the lap

The trick is to cross your legs so that the iPad is angled upwards, then rest your hand under the bottom edge to slide it up towards the knee. I can sit comfortably like this for quite some time.

• @busker said:

@Cib said:
    I tryed it but could never use an iPad on the lap

The trick is to cross your legs so that the iPad is angled upwards, then rest your hand under the bottom edge to slide it up towards the knee. I can sit comfortably like this for quite some time.

Mmhhh, yeah but like i said. It's worse against just a "real" notebook/laptop.
    I could made my own chassis for this maybe.
    But in the short time i feel o.k. these days i just want to sit comfortable and create some sounds.
    I find also that even 12.9" is not big enough if i put an iPad on my lap. Even my 15" macbook feels a bit too small for me. On a table it could work but i'm happy if i can sit a hour without horrible pain after work (or even without work).
    I just have not the patience too anymore to create a whole track with iOS. But maybe NanoStudio 2 (and maybe BeatMaker 3) could change that.
    At the moment i realize that there isn't the right software available for pro iOS devices.
    So i'm lurking a bit and see what apps will come with iOS 11.

• I bring iPad with me to parks and such all the time to make music, often via a longer bike ride. So for me, any iPad has to fit inside my camelbak backpack, which the 12.9's don't. I've been known to pace in the studio while working on an iPad or iPhone song too, so count me in that group that wants to get up and move around sometimes while holding the iPad.

• edited July 2017

With the 10.5 I found that I was either holding it with 2 hands and using my 2 thumbs for touch, or holding it with one hand on the side or underneath and using the other hand with 5 free fingers for touch.
    In both scenarios, there was a lot of screen surface that were not "covered" by ready to touch fingers hovering.
    So for productivity reason, I had to lay the ipad on a table or my lap on the couch, and then the 10.5 felt a bit small for my 2 free hands.
    So today, I returned my 10.5 and bought a 12.9 that should be here in 2 weeks, during which I'll be using my mini 2.

Comparing both model in the store, I found that the 10.5 looks exactly like the 12.9 when held about 3 inches closer, so it is really a matter of room for hands, and digital art canvas size.

I verified and the 12.9 will fit in the little backpack I use to cary my stuff with when I'm on the go, so portability is not an issue.

The weight difference is not significant either. even holding it with one hand.

I found also that the smaller the screen your device has, the nearer you'll put your face to it. (gosh, where is the version française of this forum $%?*@!!) So bigger with bigger screen is just better to keep a contact with the surrounding, and will be more apt to sharing.

I feel that I will get use to more screen space, and I mean that in a good way.

It might not be perfect for 100% of situation but it will for most of it and for the rest, I have a iphone SE and a mini 2, and a macbook. Way too much toys, truly believing that less is more.

Can't wait anyways.

Thanks everyone for all your comments!

• @Max23 said:
    You don't want to hold this device in your hands.
    It's laptop size. And like a laptop it likes to be used on a table...

You can completely forget about using the gyroscope/ accelerometer. It's just to big.
    You don't want to hold it in your hands while operating it while you are standing.

I'm jumping around like crazy when playing soundprism with the "smaller" iPads.
    Forget about that.
    It's not mobile anymore.
    10,5 is a good compromise between screen size and mobility (no desk).

I hold the 12.9 in my hands, I don’t jump around like crazy, but never did that with my air 2, mini or iPhone, so it probably depends on what the user is looking for as to suitability. I regularly operate it while standing, but I’m fairly fit ;)

• edited July 2017
  • The 12.9 is great for music making. End of story. I think you'll love it

If a user also wants mobility it may have some downsides depending on your stature, size of bag, locations used, etc.

I don't have any problem using the 12.9 for accelerometer-based input, whether music or games. The screen is immersive on a new level for me, totally worth the upgrade in my book.

• @Max23 said:
    Your lap is just another table.
    The point is you sit down or lay on your bed to operate it ...
    You are not mobile = standing or dancing or walking from room to room or making nice ambient tunes while walking the dog or something.

That's why we also got iPhones - they hook up nice, no mobility lost