Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - July 2017

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

Comments

• Also I think the Covers Club will be retiring for the time being, as there wasn't really much input there. Might bring it back if there is any demand.

• Looking forward to making my first submission to the SOTMC soon. Are we supposed to submit it to the SoundCloud account linked to above?

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Looking forward to making my first submission to the SOTMC soon. Are we supposed to submit it to the SoundCloud account linked to above?

No just upload to your own SC account, and then I will repost to the SOTMC SC.

• I can't remember - does the submission have to be iOS only, or include some apps...or can it be made using anything? I'm up to my ears in Komplete stuff at the moment, so making tunes with that fellah.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I can't remember - does the submission have to be iOS only, or include some apps...or can it be made using anything? I'm up to my ears in Komplete stuff at the moment, so making tunes with that fellah.

Anything goes. Especially ukuleles.

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I can't remember - does the submission have to be iOS only, or include some apps...or can it be made using anything? I'm up to my ears in Komplete stuff at the moment, so making tunes with that fellah.

Anything goes. Especially ukuleles.

Awesome. Might try and rustle something up along those lines too.

• Hmmm ukuleles....why is it they're so easy to write with? Was thinking about doing an orchestral opus on the compleat history of Olde England, but a three verse note on the futility of happiness on the back of a single uke seems more appealing...

• This is my entry for this month. It's created with Rytmik Ultimate, Voxyn and Cubasis. The video was created with Lumafusion.

• Here is my first submission to The Club. I have a goal to complete/share one track a month here, to get past the "never finishing anything" habit. All input appreciated!

"Falling Up Stairs"
    Born from a couple of "Discovers" and tweaks in Blocs Wave
    Moved waves to Gadget for more work
    Then to Auria Pro for more production and mixing
    And finally to Audio Mastering for mastering
    Also used, among others:

• DM1
    • Fabfilter Saturn
    • Tonestack

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Here is my first submission to The Club.

Great song. It kind of reminds me of the artist Beck. I like the rap/talk part in the begining. Productionwise it sounded good to me, but I'm really too much of a newbie to give you good advice.

• @fattigman said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Here is my first submission to The Club.

Great song. It kind of reminds me of the artist Beck. I like the rap/talk part in the begining. Productionwise it sounded good to me, but I'm really too much of a newbie to give you good advice.

Hey man, thanks for listening and mentioning the talking part in the beginning. I was unsure about that, and then heard a Cake song on the way to work on day that does that. I realized they do that on a few tracks, so figured I'd leave it. glad I did.. and I'm a Beck fan, so I can live with that too. cheers!

• I have been writing tons for my composition teacher, but it's just writing, not finished work. I have finally completed a piece, and, glory be, will have one for next month as well. I published this in creations, but would love to get comments from the regulars here who didn't see it. My first dip of the toe into Electronica waters. I wrote this all in standard notation in Notion, including the percussion, exported it as midi, and imported it into Auria. Then applied sounds and filters. Some sounds from Fabfilter 1 and 2, some from Beathawk, and liberal amounts of various plugins, mostly Fabfilter, applied. I love how they work on the electronic sounds. I very much enjoyed this; not having to play my twisted creations certainly makes it easier to finish them. B) It's called Waltz of the Machines because it's metal and harsh, and in 3/4.

• @fattigman said:
    This is my entry for this month. It's created with Rytmik Ultimate, Voxyn and Cubasis. The video was created with Lumafusion.

I enjoyed that very much! I think I probably had a smile on my face the entire time. I liked the video so much, I probably should watch again to listen to the tune more critically, but I liked it. I thought it sounded totally pro - nice production. I don't really have any suggestions. thanks for sharing.

I just started playing with Lumafusion for the first time yesterday - it's a powerful app, and the learning curve isn't as bad as I expected.

• edited July 2017

Thanks @Shaken&;Stirred . The video is my first try with Lumafusion. I think it's a quite capable app and it's fairly easy to learn. Thanks again

• @fattigman said:
    This is my entry for this month. It's created with Rytmik Ultimate, Voxyn and Cubasis. The video was created with Lumafusion.

Not entirely my cup of tea, but I liked the contrasting sections a lot. Made a nice switch from the harder driving main part to the softer version with the girl singing. Sounded good, I liked the mix.

• edited July 2017

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Here is my first submission to The Club. I have a goal to complete/share one track a month here, to get past the "never finishing anything" habit. All input appreciated!

"Falling Up Stairs"
    Also used, among others:

• DM1
    • Fabfilter Saturn
    • Tonestack

Really liked this. I was waiting for something with a bit more oomph, and then it came in. You could maybe use a bit more of a tonal range on the beginning, either a bit more bottom on a drum, or a bit of bass. I always love it when music breaks and moves into different structures, it really makes a piece of me, keeps the interest going. Aside from the aforementioned nitpick, the mix was great for me as well.

• Not entirely my cup of tea, but I liked the contrasting sections a lot. Made a nice switch from the harder driving main part to the softer version with the girl singing. Sounded good, I liked the mix.

Thanks for your feedback @rickwaugh

• @rickwaugh said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    Here is my first submission to The Club. I have a goal to complete/share one track a month here, to get past the "never finishing anything" habit. All input appreciated!

"Falling Up Stairs"
    Also used, among others:

• DM1
    • Fabfilter Saturn
    • Tonestack

Really liked this. I was waiting for something with a bit more oomph, and then it came in. You could maybe use a bit more of a tonal range on the beginning, either a bit more bottom on a drum, or a bit of bass. I always love it when music breaks and moves into different structures, it really makes a piece of me, keeps the interest going. Aside from the aforementioned nitpick, the mix was great for me as well.

Thanks @rickwaugh that's good feedback. I will see if I can add some more bottom end in the beginning section.

Regarding your track, kudos do doing something not in 4/4! The mix sounds really good, my only criticism would be the sections/variations are a little hard for me to distinguish. The lead synth is the dominating voice, and maybe a counter voice might add interest to the musical "conversation". Please read this knowing Electronica is not my forte. :) thanks for sharing your track, and for sharing your thoughts on mine. oh... I was also gonna suggest panning some of the percussion, like the hats. maybe they are, but the reverb on them makes it hard to tell, but I think if a few bits were hard panned to either side, if might spread things out some, and add interest.

• @rickwaugh I've listened to your song now. It's very cool. I like the sounds you're using, especially the bass synth (or whatever it is). The melody is nice too. I'm not sure I would have used the same lead instrument because it softened the song a little. Great job!

• edited July 2017

Thanks @fattigman and @Shaken&;Stirred. @Shaken&;Stirred, I didn't do a huge amount of panning, for sure, and Timeless loves to bounce things back and forth, which doesn't help with what you're observing. I did think about adding an extra voice, will be working more with that going forward, for sure. Usually I'm writing multiple parts for guitar, flute, violin, etc. :D

• @fattigman cool vid, was great how you got the family involved and gave a glimpse of your setup. Tune was well produced with some nice sounds, can’t say much more than that as I don’t listen to this genre, but great job all round.

@Shaken&;Stirred like the intro, almost had a western (movie) vibe. Cool contrast between the spoken word vox and when you start singing around 1:15. Well produced and interesting song arrangement. Particularly liked how the song dynamics kicked up and wound back throughout. Vox sit really well in the mix too, nice job!

@rickwaugh preface my comments that I know diddly squat about electronica (and diff time sigs also). Tune is well produced and held my interest throughout. Agree with @Shaken&;Stirred that maybe some panning / eq / mild distortion on some of the percussion and other background sounds might help those elements to cut through a bit more. In the absence of vocals I reckon those (little) things become a little more important, but minor quibbles in a well-produced song, well done.

• My tune this month is about a girl starting out in a band, dreaming of success and giving a shout out to her musical heroes along the way. The drum loops are from sampletank: I really liked the patterns but not some of the individual sounds, so I pulled out the midi loops and re-mapped them back to sampletank kits via editing in cubasis. The factory in the artwork is an abandoned powerstation about 3km from where I work…I took some pics on my phone then added the ‘cartoon guitar girl’ from a creative commons photography site hosting street art. Intended as a fun little ditty that is a celebration of music

• @marliess said:
    My tune this month is about a girl starting out in a band, dreaming of success and giving a shout out to her musical heroes along the way.

@marliess thanks for your positive feedback. I like your song it has a nice groove. The part that starts at 0:28 and 1:20 I would do something that makes it stand out more, maybe a distorted guitar. Love the graffiti on the factory wall. Well done

• @fattigman said:

@marliess thanks for your positive feedback.

Thanks dude, likewise :)

• @marliess, great little rock and roll tune. Super tight mix, everything sounded great. Drums sure worked nicely. I loved the bits of high harmony here and there as well. A bit of a bridge would have been a nice addition.

• @studs1966, that really moved. Loved the mix and sounds, vocals were really strong. I could here that in a club. Breaks were were in the right spots, it was maybe a bit long with the same rhythm.

• @studs1966 said:

Fantastic house! Vox a little behind the rhythm but awesome chord progression. Could easily fit onto a house compilation with the fade out too.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @marliess, great little rock and roll tune. Super tight mix, everything sounded great. Drums sure worked nicely. I loved the bits of high harmony here and there as well. A bit of a bridge would have been a nice addition.

Yes @marliess I agree, this is a cool tune, I like it. It's a cool mix of modern production with some older vibes. Maybe it's The Cars I'm hearing a little in there, surprisingly not one of the bands mentioned! :) You did a good job of adding bits to "hold the listener's interest". Nice work, thanks for sharing!