Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Off topic: CHEAP headphone recommendations?

Long story short I won't be able to throw down for my ideal headphone for a bit (old ones broke), but I'm looking for some real cheap ones just to get me by until then so I don't have to use earbuds. So what are the best under 50 dollar headphones that sound decent enough? I don't expect them to blow me away or be great for mixing. Any ideas?

Comments

• I'd recommend these.

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/ur42i

Usually the first thing to go on a pair of headphones is the cable, so with this, you can replace the cable with any 1/8" to 1/8" plug. Just be careful not to drop them, because that will damage the unit itself. I'm planning to get this one myself, because I usually use the UR-29s and the cable is often the first thing to go.

• edited July 2017

Thank you @jwmmakerofmusic i will definitely keep those in mind! Good ol Koss, how could I forget? How cheap can I go before any pretense of accurate monitoring of my music disappears? Because whatever it is, I likely won't be using them for long

• @db909 said:
    Thank you @jwmmakerofmusic i will definitely keep those in mind! Good ol Koss, how could I forget? How cheap can I go before any pretense of accurate monitoring of my music disappears? Because whatever it is, I likely won't be using them for long

You're welcome mate. I'd personally go only as low as UR-29s, but perhaps something here might work for you.

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones?price=1,25_2,25

UR-19s used to be in production, but they are out of production. Don't have any experience with the UR-22s nor UR-23s.

• Tascam TH-300X.
    Frequently on sale at MF for $40.
    Stunning quality at that price.
    I bought two spares.

• @5pinlink said:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm
    Best budget headphones at any cost, I know quite a few engineers now picking these up instead of vastly more costly sets ;)

I jolly well may give those a shot myself. :) You can never have too many headphones when mixing down a track (from the most prestine to a cheap $5 pair from a bargain store and in-between).

• @5pinlink said:
    Best budget headphones at any cost, I know quite a few engineers now picking these up instead of vastly more costly sets ;)

Well for that price, might as well try them. Though I did go with some bargain Koss headphones.

• I've seen several open box, new Sony MDR-7506 headphones on ebay over the years...to me they're the perfect studio headphones. Isolated for overdubs, very flat & honest for mixing (once you "learn" 7506's you can mix on them without monitors, not ideal but they're really good for honest appraisal of what's on tape/disc).

They go for anywhere from $99 new to $60 new on a good sale, and those ebay offers were $45 to $70 depends on shipping.

Sony MDR-7506 & Beyerdynamic DT-100 cans are the two most used in studios & audio work in the world; critics will try to pipe up that "that's cause they're cheap!" but that's ill-informed horse caca. Either are professional audio tools not beats by dre's with hyped bass.

• Good stuff folks, thank you!

• Speaking of this and hopefully not derailing the OP's quest too far: my final pair of Sony MDR-v700 have perished and I'm looking to replace: Has anyone transitioned from these particular phones to another model or brand and been as happy?

(I don't think the v700's were especially True but I did get to know them well enough to be able to mix almost-final through them)

• @JRSIV said:
    I've seen several open box, new Sony MDR-7506 headphones on ebay over the years...to me they're the perfect studio headphones. Isolated for overdubs, very flat & honest for mixing (once you "learn" 7506's you can mix on them without monitors, not ideal but they're really good for honest appraisal of what's on tape/disc).

They go for anywhere from $99 new to $60 new on a good sale, and those ebay offers were $45 to $70 depends on shipping.

Sony MDR-7506 & Beyerdynamic DT-100 cans are the two most used in studios & audio work in the world; critics will try to pipe up that "that's cause they're cheap!" but that's ill-informed horse caca. Either are professional audio tools not beats by dre's with hyped bass.

I always thought that the Sonys were flattest until I tried Sennheiser HD 280s. The Sennheisers are so flat they're dead sounding. The Sonys have a boosted high end, but I still prefer them. Everything sounds exciting on them. Just my observation.

Sorry OP for the quick derail.

• @Proppa said:
    Speaking of this and hopefully not derailing the OP's quest too far: my final pair of Sony MDR-v700 have perished and I'm looking to replace: Has anyone transitioned from these particular phones to another model or brand and been as happy?

(I don't think the v700's were especially True but I did get to know them well enough to be able to mix almost-final through them)

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mdrv6/review/

@Proppa if you were comfortable with the v700's, which are the DJ version of Sony's 7506 & V6 line, you might dig the V6's which are the sister headphones to 7506's with different coils & a very minor frequency spectrum range.

Since you spent awhile with the V700's the V6's or 7506's will be familiar but much flatter not having the hyped bass of DJ headphones. Good luck brother, one thing that is cool about being a musician/producer today is there is a litany of great gear of every variety.

• @oat_phipps said:

@JRSIV said:
    I've seen several open box, new Sony MDR-7506 headphones on ebay over the years...to me they're the perfect studio headphones. Isolated for overdubs, very flat & honest for mixing (once you "learn" 7506's you can mix on them without monitors, not ideal but they're really good for honest appraisal of what's on tape/disc).

I always thought that the Sonys were flattest until I tried Sennheiser HD 280s. The Sennheisers are so flat they're dead sounding. The Sonys have a boosted high end, but I still prefer them. Everything sounds exciting on them. Just my observation.

Sorry OP for the quick derail.

Lol, no derails man @db909 asked for it, :)

You are correct sir about the HD280s, they are razor flat. I did some interning at a project studio that used those, but after a few days I started bringing my 7506's. The presence peak on the Sony's is there, the frequency spectrum diagram shows it, but I prefer it too.

I have conceded that some of my buddies can are going to use beats no matter what I say, lol, but they do so FOR the hyped bass. One cat told me when he's mixing a beat he wants to hear that car sub woofer thing, like he's learned the beats & how they translate to those systems...I was like "right on", and his mixes sounded good...

• I was on Sennheisers for a minute but felt always so nervous about chucking my 100$+ headphones in a bag, so I switched to Monoprice 108323 cans. They sound absolutely great and have detachable cable. I highly recommend them at 15-20 bucks

• Agreed about Sony sound quality, but get ready to replace the earpads often.

• @fjcblanco said:
    Agreed about Sony sound quality, but get ready to replace the earpads often.

Yep. Their only drawback, especially if you wear them In the heat, etc. My 1st set of 7506's from '95 had the pads go on them, but Amazon has plenty of replacement sets for under $10 so I bought a few different brands/vendors.

I got another pair last year and to me the pads seemed different, I dunno...maybe a bit better made? The two sets of replacement pads I bought are the same OMI quality Sony uses or better. I imagine there's cheap vendors out there, just check the reviews.

• @5pinlink said:
    Aaaaah Sony headphones "Whats that black on your ear"

I guffawed.

• I don’t know things about audio in any kind of pro or objective way, but I bought these from Monoprice on the strength of this review and I love them: http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/91/dj-style-pro-headphones-item-8323/

You can also order upgraded ear pads for like 5 bucks that make them extremely comfy to wear for a long time...

• edited July 2017

What I had was the sennheiser hd280s for the flatness. Cable went out, plus they always had a slightly skewed headphone jack which was workable for a while but it finally got too bad and I couldnt get stereo anymore. @5pinlink how do the superlux compare in terms of flatness and range?

• edited July 2017

@matthewdavidpearson, @Gaia.Tree

The monoprice dj headphones are decent, amazing for the price. The title here is CHEAP. They are not the best headphones ever. But I have 4 pairs, for recording bands. I take them traveling and they are great, because they sound good, and you aren't tripping about chucking hundred dollar headphones in your backpack. They fold up in a couple different ways, like the Sennheiser 280. I like that they come with a short cord, and a long cord. Much better than the cheap Sennheiser headphones, that had a very carboardy feel.

• @JRSIV said:
    Since you spent awhile with the V700's the V6's or 7506's will be familiar but much flatter

Thanks for this - the V6's have been on my mental list. Can I ask why you prefer the 7506's over the v6's?

• @JRSIV said:

+1
    The better you get to know them, the better they are. Well known the stock pads wear out (BH&Photo has a great replacement), but the drivers just get better with age.

• @Processaurus said:
    @matthewdavidpearson, @Gaia.Tree

The monoprice dj headphones are decent, amazing for the price. The title here is CHEAP. They are not the best headphones ever. But I have 4 pairs, for recording bands. I take them traveling and they are great, because they sound good, and you aren't tripping about chucking hundred dollar headphones in your backpack. They fold up in a couple different ways, like the Sennheiser 280. I like that they come with a short cord, and a long cord. Much better than the cheap Sennheiser headphones, that had a very carboardy feel.

Yup, i have a few pairs of cheapo sennheisers around and the cables always short out in a year or so of usage. The monoprice homies are hitting that sweet spot of cheap and good sound for me.

• I use some old Sennheiser HD 590, which were regarded as OK sounding in old times, IIRC

• @Proppa said:

@JRSIV said:
    Since you spent awhile with the V700's the V6's or 7506's will be familiar but much flatter

Thanks for this - the V6's have been on my mental list. Can I ask why you prefer the 7506's over the v6's?

First off, a few months ago I came across this review of both that is probably the best I've ever seen. This will give you an idea about the basics of the two cans & differences between them:

https://homestudiobasics.com/sony-mdr-v6-vs-mdr-7506-subtle-differences/

I have used V6's and they are very close to 7506's. From the history I've read over the years the V6's were introduced first, in the early 80's and the 7506's came a few yeas later. The difference that makes the biggest impact in my opinion is the frequency response. V6's are rated for 5Hz to 30kHz & the 7506's are 10Hz to 20kHz. Whether the 7506 response focuses the sound better or what I dunno, I just think I'm mentally attuned to the 750, lol.

@wigglelights is spot on about the drivers getting better with age. I have read articles on audiophile sites where "breaking in" a new set of headphones (not just Sony but particularly with them) is touted, meaning firing up a streaming radio service and keep it on for days, with the headphones connected at mid volume. Might be over kill in my book but I can attest that my original 1995 era 7506's sound better than the new set of them I bought last year.

• These are apparently quite nice and seem to get rave reviews everywhere
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-HO-5960-/35-5960

I have 7506's that I got in 2004 and they're still going strong, although there is one spot where gaffer tape is my friend...been like that for a few years though after they fell off of the sound desk. I got replacement pads about 4 years ago, they were for Beyer headphones but fit perfectly are Really nice. No vinyl to come off of them, they are very soft. I had to relearn the headphones though. But now I'm used to them and I'll keep using them until they die.

• This is great info guys. Thanks a bunch I was gonna go for some 150 ish sennheisers but now I'm likely gonna get two or more of the ones mentioned here.

Question though: on some of the frequency ranges you see 10 or 15 to 25khz, the on others it will be 5 to 30, but the former will be praised for "bass presence". What's the deal with that? I do like to hear bass as accurately as possible.

• @5pinlink said:

+1

• @JRSIV said:
    V6's are rated for 5Hz to 30kHz & the 7506's are 10Hz to 20kHz. Whether the 7506 response focuses the sound better or what I dunno, I just think I'm mentally attuned to the 750, lol.

Makes total sense: Knowing phones is everything.

• @Proppa said:

@JRSIV said:
    V6's are rated for 5Hz to 30kHz & the 7506's are 10Hz to 20kHz. Whether the 7506 response focuses the sound better or what I dunno, I just think I'm mentally attuned to the 750, lol.

Makes total sense: Knowing phones is everything.

Exactly. It's like the engineers throughout the 80's & 90's mixing on Yamaha NS-10's even when monitors costing thousands more sat right beside them. They KNEW those NS-10 monitors so well that they knew how their mixes would translate to different playback environments based off of the sound of those Yamaha's.

It took several years, but 7506's are like that to me, and although I will mix on monitors or check mixes on monitors but I usually mix on MDR-7506 from jumpstreet.

@db909 The frequency spectrum range especially on the two Sony cans has been seriously misunderstood online. Some say​ V6's have more bass, some say 7506's do. It really comes down to percieved hearing based on a variety of factors. I feel you just have to try both and see which one you prefer.

Because theoretically we can't hear 5Hz or 10Hz, we can feel it at appropriate dB's but I am not convinced it makes a huge difference. The top ends on both may hold a difference since harmonics in the high kH's can color sound. But I am not going to unequivocally say "Yeah I actually hear 30kH dude", and those who do, ehh...

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

@5pinlink said:

Exactly those, or the "B" version, the "Evo" version?

I read that Evo is more easy to wear long times ...

EDIT: And i found reviews that strongly recommend the HD668B instead ...