Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2 - many users? How do you find it?

In my eternal quest to find a nearly perfect alternative to my desktop Ableton setup, I'm moving to try some of the best options on iOS. Gadget is so far the best but i write tech house / techno and I heavily rely on samples, both for loops and for chromatic playback, and gadget is a pain to import anything into that's in a folder. So I'm trying Cubasis now as I like the idea of a regular desktop like sequencer that can handle audio both in the timeline and in its own sampler.

So far though it's been a bit hit and miss. Yes you can export to Cubasis from AudioShare but it seems to shove everything in a root folder, which I'm thinking might get out of hand shortly. Also time stretch of loops isn't always tight, even when I do know the original BPM and when I use Pro. Lastly the overall timing also feels a bit loose, and I miss the ability that's in Ableton to delay a track to alter its timing.

I'm hoping it'll improve and I'll maybe get it working in tandem with AUM and Gadget or Beatmaker 3 as a multitrack tape recorder.

Anyone got any clever tips or advice for using Cubasis?

Comments

• You can rename your Audioshare exports in Cubasis- so they will end up in alphabetical order. At least you will know where to find them........ unlike Blocs Wave- where they are like rats in a cellar.

• Yeah, I think you can very quickly get overwhelmed with files, samples and projects etc. that are saved in Cubasis. I'm starting to think it may be best to have one project at a time on the go, then send it somewhere else for storage. Retrieving whatever you want as and when you need it.
    @robosardine I love that description of rats in a cellar!

• @robosardine said:
    You can rename your Audioshare exports in Cubasis- so they will end up in alphabetical order. At least you will know where to find them........ unlike Blocs Wave- where they are like rats in a cellar.

Painfully brilliant and right.

• edited June 2017

Maybe @LFS could use a heads up regarding the inconvenient file structure...this is one thing apps like Caustic have over Cubasis, Gadget, FL Studio Mobile...

EDIT: left a request on the Steinberg site about this file structure issue (this is actually the last of my last gripes about Cubasis, which otherwise sits pretty in my DAW roster, and plays nicely with Modstep - I want cliplaunching - and all my favorite instruments)

• @Gunark said:
    ... I like the idea of a regular desktop like sequencer that can handle audio both in the timeline and in its own sampler.

Given this description, and a few other criteria mentioned, have you looked at Looperverse and/or GarageBand? Looperverse specializes in loops that can be triggered on and off.

And Garageband has been doing most of what Looperverse does for a long time now - all default recordings are 8 bars, but they can be more or less as needed - and now, of course, with one button press you can turn your tracks into clip launcher mode with some decent FX to boot. I've heard material I SWORE was straight up Gadget that was actually GB in "FX" clip launching mode.

• I recently reinstalled Cubasis, and am working on a new project there. It's easier and more intuitive to work with than Auria Pro, although a little less able with AU apps. There are frustrations of design, and things that still irritate me about Cubasis, but I still like it a lot. Having said that, whatever I end up with will likely go to Auria Pro for mastering, 'cause nothing really sounds as good as Fab Filters.

• @Gunark said:
    Anyone got any clever tips or advice for using Cubasis?

>

Beware of the L&R markers, which have a mind of their own.

• edited July 2017

@Littlewoodg and @Zen210507

Do you need busing and/or subgroups in your work?
    Or do you solve it with AUM or AB3?
    Many good reasons for using Cubasis. But this is the thing that clearly is missing in most (if not all) Daws on iOS except Auria Pro. Access to Fabfilters is of course special case by itself.

• For me cubasis summarises what I love about making music on iPad - easy to use and is ready when inspiration strikes, but also powerful enough to get stuff done. Bought Auria too but I gave up on the non intuitive UX.

My one issue is that Cubasis is not yet optimised for ipad pro 12.9" screen. I have been trying to push steinberg for info on if/when this is coming on the Cubasis forum but they are reluctant to talk about future releases (not sure why they have this strategy).

Is anyone else using Cubasis on a 12.9" and frustrated by it being stretched and not using the extra real estate at native resolution? I think they need to know that people have this issue if so. Here's the thread for reference https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=95171

• Steinberg always have just sneaked their updates out by surprise. I like it personally no over hyping things no missed deadlines or rushed buggy releases.

• I think it's worth for @LFS and other developers to take a look at the Henny's video.
    Cubasis gets a bit of 'bashing' for the somewhat lacking file-management but in a nice way...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2017

@d4d0ug said:
    Bought it, played with it for a while, got sad with no external midi clock sync or ableton link support.

Yes! No link;(
    We also would like midi mapping.

On my iPad mini 2 trying to record AB and IAA often crashes the damn thing. Cubasis is better as a standalone, record your vocals and guitars, use the impressive collection of builtin instruments. Trying to use it like a host for other synths and samplers has had disappointing results for me so far.

• For me Cubasis is the best DAW for iOS. I don't have AUM but I have AB3 and Modstep and my experience is that Cubasis is the most stable host for AU and IAA. From what I've read AUM seems very stable for hosting AU and IAA.

• edited July 2017

@fattigman said:
    For me Cubasis is the best DAW for iOS. I don't have AUM but I have AB3 and Modstep and my experience is that Cubasis is the most stable host for AU and IAA. From what I've read AUM seems very stable for hosting AU and IAA.

Hey @fattigman, I'm not protesting your opinion, but how is it the best DAW for iOS apart from being able to host AU like many other apps, that are not even DAWs. It's reputation of being more stable than other DAWs is not untested. Just interested to know what makes a good product.

• I find it to be amongst the most stable and dependable of my apps too!

• Hey @fattigman, I'm not protesting your opinion, but how is it the best DAW for iOS apart from being able to host AU like many other apps, that are not even DAWs. It's reputation of being more stable than other DAWs is not untested. Just interested to know what makes a good product.

I know what you mean. I think I wasn't very clear in my answer. What I meant was I think it's the best DAW for iOS. I've tried GB and BM2, Caustic and Gadet. I haven't tried Auria. What I wrote about hosting AU and IAA was actually an answer to another question that was on this thread. I think Caustic has the best song mode and pattern mode for sequencing. But overall I think Cubasis is the best tool for making music. It's stable, has good features and updates frequently.

• edited July 2017

@idexis
    I like busses, and have DAW with them (Auria pro, MTS, even FL Studio mobile) but it's a finishing feature and I appreciate Cubasis for how easy it is to get in and get busy...

So far only BM2 of all the DAWs has Link, and BM2 is also a long time favorite of mine (I put the hours in to get easy with its idiosyncratic ways, still a good friend)

They're similar in my mind in that they occupy a middle position in the range of available tools, they're not all-in-ones that are enclosed, and they're not the ultimate mixing tools either. I like having at least AB and IAA, but I get hung up by too much available tweaking

• I don't think you can really replace ableton workflow with any app or combination of apps at the moment.

Modstep is highly regarded as a sequencer and is very close to session view in ableton but it takes quite a while to get used to the workflow.

I'm spending more time using apps that allow ableton project exporting and now have a folder filled with sketches that I plan to finish with ableton. I can then also use the iPad running some of the many link enabled apps to add to these sketches. I seem to be getting a lot more stuff done this way!

• @fattigman @Littlewoodg

It seems that many appreciate the fluency in Cubasis to create and I can second that. The reason I'm curious is that developers read these forums and I see seldom requests for features that are standard in desktop DAWs and more on the mixing and mastering part of the workflow. Perhaps the reason is that people approach iOS with different attitude. Important to get tools that cater to that. I think it is also important to have the option of finishing song completely on iOS if that is the situation, but it's of course equally important to be comfortable in the work; otherwise there wouldn't be thing to finish... sort of :#

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I don't think you can really replace ableton workflow with any app or combination of apps at the moment.

Modstep is highly regarded as a sequencer and is very close to session view in ableton but it takes quite a while to get used to the workflow.

I'm spending more time using apps that allow ableton project exporting and now have a folder filled with sketches that I plan to finish with ableton. I can then also use the iPad running some of the many link enabled apps to add to these sketches. I seem to be getting a lot more stuff done this way!

Aside warping song for remixing (which I expect cover with BM3) I can do what I need from Ableton with Blocs/Launchpad/ReSlice/BH2/AUM combo (or GB) BUT I never need all of them at the same time so I use only one or two at the same time and only to feed Blocs...

• edited July 2017

@fattigman said:

I haven't tried Auria.

If you did, you'd find just how much more is possible with Auria Pro, as opposed to working just with Cubasis. Especially if you add Fab Filters. A lot of the difference are features that Cubasis should, by now, have equalled.

Having said that, AP is often counter-intutitive, and the developer is so focussed on the big issues, that little annoyances never get fixed. Cubasis is by far the friendlier app, it just needs to pull itself up by the bootstraps and really take on its biggest rival.

If possible, get both apps. Then you can play to the strengths of each, which is useful.

• Looks like Cubasis is on sale today for $24.99. Get some bros!

• Cubasis is my main iOS workhorse. I usually just create one track at a time and make heavy use of MIDI, so I find Cubasis works very well for my needs. I have Auria (not pro) and will use it for its plugin EFX from time to time but I don't enjoy its interface. Other pluses on Cubasis are that it is backed by a big company and has had regular updates and enhancements.

• edited July 2017

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I don't think you can really replace ableton workflow with any app or combination of apps at the moment.

Whichever approach that gets stuff done is a blessing...

As far as Live-like workflows there are three available that I know of - at least three clip launch apps (session view style apps) that can be matched with DAWs for their arranger/time-line views...Modstep, Genome, KRFT.

Modstep hosts instruments, and advertises multi audio out along with multi-channel midi, KRFT has multi channel midi out (and I've heard will also soon have multi audio out). Genome is a straight up clip launching midi sequencer, and well sorted and very stable.

The deepest is Modstep (with a learning curve to match. But like the even greater learning curve of Live itself, it rewards study and play).

The most feature rich combination I think is probably Modstep/Auria Pro, given APs buses etc

either with 1. Modstep hosting instruments, and sending up to 8 audio channels to AP, (AP here is hosting Modstep as IAA or in AB)

or 2. with AP hosting the instruments, and Modstep sending core midi

3 would of course be Modstep standalone, as a cliplauncher that records and exports stems for post production in a DAW. The above 2 just save you the export step, but are more CPU intensive...

With either method there are trade offs. And they can be mixed, Modstep can send midi and audio into AP

One nice piece with Modstep sending audio in either set up is access to Modsteps sampler, something Auria Pro lacks...

These schemes also work nicely with a Modstep/Cubasis plan

There's a lot to be had using KRFT or Genome in similar scheme but this post is already too long.

And I'm not even dealing with AUM possibilities, just focusing here on cliplaunch based production.

I tend towards limiting the # of moving parts, while still wanting to keep it all indevice. But as I say if you got something going that productive inter-device, more power to you!

• I like Cubasis just fine, but have noticed in the short two weeks that I've used it that it appears to have difficulty recording midi from an instrument and audio at the same time. I know there are workarounds, but I sorely miss being able to bus the audio from a midi generating instrument. It's frustrating because as the midi track is playing, I can hear the instrument play, but I can't route that same audio to a track. Hoping that an update might provide this.

And, not to hijack the thread, but if someone has a really elegant solution to the above, I would be most grateful.

• I would use cubasis if:
    It had AUs automations
    It had triplets/tuplets grid view instead of just the quantize option

I would use AP if:
    The midi was more stable(had random edits to random tracks)

• I’d say that if you come from Live, Garageband would be the best choice: it has loop recording, scene mode, even a clip launcher! Also, by far the best soft instruments and even a rudimentar sampler. It could be like Ableton Live lite if you’re into it (I’m not: I really prefer a linear DAW so I use Auria Pro). The problem with Garageband is that Apple put it behind a fortress: it cannot be the input in AudioBus, it cannot control other apps via MIDI, sharing stems is a a pain and importing files, a no go. Perhaps to keep the competition alive: the day Garageband is set free, it’s over for everyone else!

• @mschenkel.it said:

I would use AP if:
    The midi was more stable(had random edits to random tracks)

Never happened with me, but I heard about the bug. Previously there was a merge bug, where joining two or more MIDI regions would result in a unusable mess, but luckily it doesn’t happen anymore. Auria Pro is absolutely necessary for me because I’m a producer/sound engineer besides an musician/composer, and I need the advanced features it has, both Audio and MIDI and for editing (including triplet/tuplet grid and quantizing, multiple tempos and signatures etc) to avoid a Mac or PC.

I cannot imagine myself using Auria Pro for a live performance though (unless the iPad sits confortably on the mixing desk recording the performance, lol), but Cubasis and Garagband seems to be a little less awkward onstage. None of them beat Gadget for this, I humbly think. If Korg had seriously implemented audio features, you’d have your Live or Bitwig replacement...

• Finally: Cubasis is on sale today for half the price. It’s a steal, so grab it!