Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why does the Quneo seem to not have any resale value?

Just wondering if you guys had any insight. I am in the Atlanta area and no one seems to be interested. Seems the resale for a $220-249 piece of equipment is generally $100. Give or take a few. Which is weird because some other midi controllers seem to hold their value really well.

Comments

• I think all the KMI stuff is niche. I have a 12 Step I'm trying to sell and am running into the same issue. If you're patient, you can find the person who understands what it is and will pay a decent price for it, but most people see the KMI stuff as very expensive compared to products with similar form factors (e.g., the Korg Nano stuff). Unless you do your research, it's hard to understand what the differences are (they are significant, but not obvious).

• I have a theory but only a theory.

Most of us who buy these slightly pricy controllers buy them because the marketing has done a great job of showing us what their potential is. We buy the thing and its potential.

When you try to sell a controller or device like that to the general browser, you're not capable of doing as good a job of selling its potential. You don't have smart marketing phrases, you can't really use graphics in CL, it's not coming from a place of authority and it's intrinsicly hampered by "why are you selling it?" bias.

If, by chance, someone who is already interested in paying extra for their potential sees your ad, chances are good that you'll get a decent price for it. But, like all 1:1 markets, you're going to have to sit on that until a buyer comes along. Plus, those buyers see your add with a similar bias: "well, this person isn't realizing the full potential, maybe I won't either".

Think we're left with two options: sit on it at a high price until the next you comes along and sees it as a good deal, considering the potential, or get rid of it by asking just above what the market seems to be willing to bare.

And/Or offering it for trade.

• @syrupcore said:
    I have a theory but only a theory.

Most of us who buy these slightly pricy controllers buy them because the marketing has done a great job of showing us what their potential is. We buy the thing and its potential.

When you try to sell a controller or device like that to the general browser, you're not capable of doing as good a job of selling its potential. You don't have smart marketing phrases, you can't really use graphics in CL, it's not coming from a place of authority and it's intrinsicly hampered by "why are you selling it?" bias.

If, by chance, someone who is already interested in paying extra for their potential sees your ad, chances are good that you'll get a decent price for it. But, like all 1:1 markets, you're going to have to sit on that until a buyer comes along. Plus, those buyers see your add with a similar bias: "well, this person isn't realizing the full potential, maybe I won't either".

Think we're left with two options: sit on it at a high price until the next you comes along and sees it as a good deal, considering the potential, or get rid of it by asking just above what the market seems to be willing to bare.

And/Or offering it for trade.

Good.

• Agreed that's why iDevices keep their prices over Surfaces even when Microsoft could be consedered a trusthy brand (or almost more popular than KMI).
    Examples of that in controllers could be Pioneer, Rane or NI. Niche ones Elektron or TE and crap: m-audio, icon...

• Great points everyone. I feel the same. I will most likely not buy a niche controller unless it does something that I need and can't do with anything else. I think I was sold on the Quneo on what the possibility could be. I was caught up in the great marketing and all the hype. Not that the Quneo is a bad controller, it just does a few very specific things. Which could be great for some people, especially for live use where precision is not necessarily required.

Maybe if ol' Keith could develop an add-on piece of gear to put in the micro usb slot, in order to expand its uses. Maybe change the settings, add chords and scales.

• edited June 2017

From my experience of the UK second hand market (eBay) most, if not all things (midi controllers) sell at the max of 60% of the retail price. When the latter inevitably goes down the used price will also be affected.

I've seen quneos selling for as little as £70. This is absolutely amazing for people like me who mostly buy second hand but can imagine being painful for folks like you.

Having said that, please do not stop buying new, without you my second hand buying wouldn't be sustainable. Thanks in advance

• While I don't advocate for Craig's list per se - I've had best luck with it. With Ebay, you compete against everyone. But locally, I've found there's a good many people who don't do online purchasing/credit cards and have cash on hand, get to see it before they buy, and take it home "now" rather than wait.

• @supadom lol. You had me actually laughing out loud with your comment. I do usually by new depending on the software bundle. With my korg triton taktile purchase, I got the entire Korg legacy collection, full version. Which was awesome.

@Aud_iOS I do prefer Craigslist over eBay since I can see the product before I buy. I have had many successful craigslist engagements without being killed.

I'm currently testing out a couple of apps called letgo and OfferUp. Seems to not be as popular but maybe people feel safer using those instead of Craigslist. We shall see.

• To be honest I pretty much treat all my midi gear and synths etc as sunk costs. I never sell any of it. Hence why I still use the remote zero sl i own. Way I evaluate something before I buy. If I can already do it with what I own I don't need it.

• Just wish KMI would better support the software side of their business. TheIr products are amazingly tough and versatile (if not particularly accurate), but they sure don't put much effort toward accessibility. An iOS editor would be a start.

• edited June 2017

@aaronpc said:
    Just wish KMI would better support the software side of their business. TheIr products are amazingly tough and versatile (if not particularly accurate), but they sure don't put much effort toward accessibility. An iOS editor would be a start.

I just love my 2 kboards. Set them to 2 separate channels. And scale locked via thumbjam. Fantastic for arps using their toggle function. They're stupidly durable too. Dropped one in a pool. Still works.

• I'm looking for a future forward mixer. Anyone have thoughts on the K-mix?

It looks smashing to me and checks off several boxes.

MIDI (granted by a breakout box)
    Control surface
    8-in/10-out USB audio interface
    standalone mixer
    6 1/4 inputs (mixer for hardware synths not mic'ed instruments)
    2 XLR (combo)
    Presets Recall
    SMALL n PORTABLE
    Bus powered
    iOS class compatible (record tracks right into your iPad)
    24bit/96khz

• Kmix is the greatest. Made my setup so much easier, and is just working great/reliably. I was waiting a long time for it, and ended up being happy finally. (I do love all the other KMI stuff too, though, never have a problem with Quneo being not "precise" enough, for example..., thus maybe I'm just a fanboy...)

• Thanks @animal. Now I've got to save. ;)

• @animal I feel the same way about my iConnectAudio4+, it just works, super reliable for me and what I do. I havent had any issues with my Quneo either. I just don't use it. like @aaronpc said though, if they would support their products with software updates and actually respond to issues that would make me a little less bitter. an iOS editor might actually make me want to keep the Quneo for a few more months, or at least wait for a decent trade option for it.

@audiblevideo the Kmix does look nice and if I had more external gear and synths and stuff it might be on my radar.

• @animal said:
    Kmix is the greatest. Made my setup so much easier, and is just working great/reliably. I was waiting a long time for it, and ended up being happy finally. (I do love all the other KMI stuff too, though, never have a problem with Quneo being not "precise" enough, for example..., thus maybe I'm just a fanboy...)

Precise in the sense that the faders (at least on the Quneo, not sure about the K-mix— I think it's better) and XY actions are kind of jumpy. Fine for live, but not up to studio standards, imo. I bought it for toting about, though, so that's fine. I'll also say that the pads, even when you adjust the sensitivity curves, are not as good as my 10 year old Trigger Finger, but again, not unexpected considering the portability tradoffs. Fan but not fanboy.

• can the kmix do side chain compression?

• This post motivated me to pick up one on eBay for $99

• @johnfromberkeley Good luck. Hope it works out for you and I hope you never have to resale it. I have been trying to barter my quneo for about 2-3 weeks and nothing. I figure a $100 is all I will get out of it selling it. Which is fine, I think I have settled on an Arturia Minilab MK2 for a portable controller.

• @gmslayton said:
    @johnfromberkeley Good luck. Hope it works out for you and I hope you never have to resale it. I have been trying to barter my quneo for about 2-3 weeks and nothing. I figure a $100 is all I will get out of it selling it. Which is fine, I think I have settled on an Arturia Minilab MK2 for a portable controller.

Yeah, i have seen yours in your video. I like my Nanokey Studio and Qunexus. My XKey 25 USB doesn't make it out much, and I am wondering how to transport the Searboard Block 25 when it comes.

• I'm always on the verge of using mine. Agree on the potential aspect. Still hoping it works its way into my setup.

• Kmix is an excellent piece of kit. Faders are not very accurate though. There is a fine adjustment. The software is good but no iOS. There is no other gear like it on the market.