Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video Demo and Tutorial of Jam Maestro V2 from thesoundtestroom

This is a great app, and now with lots of new features including AB and FX, and some great IAP's..Many thanks to the dev Dave Blake who sent me a copy to review a few weeks ago, and thanks to the guys on the forum who suggested it to him..hope you enjoy this..

Comments

• Great video @Doug. Love this app, and a cool Dev to boot.

• Nice video, and I'm a big fan of how Jam Maestro handles tabs; all of this makes sense to me as a guitarist. Great tool to sketch out a song. (Dave -- I'd love to see MIDI get added!).

• edited September 2013

How about that Dave. Is midi in the future of Jam Maestro? I promise to let you intro it first. Lol

• Thanks so much for making the video Doug! Looks great!

@SecretBaseDesign / @mgmg4871 sure guys I'd love to put midi in. Lots of plans for it in my head, just might take a while to implement. Both virtual and core midi. Want to make the sequencer a midi sequencer too.

One thing I'm just not quite sure on atm is how best way translate a midi keyboard into a guitar fretboard. For example if you played a midi note for middle C, would it play Estring-20th fret, Astring-15th fret, Dstring-10th fret, Gstring-5th fret, or Bstring-1st fret? Similarly when you play chords there are many ways that could be translated, which would be ever evolving as you add notes. If anyone has any good ideas for this feel free to let me know :)

• Here you go Dave.

• I think you would need to do what guitarists tend to do. Play the nearest string and fret option to the one that's just been played. In order to work out what's nearest, you may have to have an internal logic model of 4 fingers, keeping track of which ones are currently playing notes and which fret is under the 1st finger. That way, each note fretting option could be weighted with an ease of access score. Not that impossible fingerings would be impossible for the software, but it would help to avoid unnatural sounding changes.

• Thanks Morris.

@PaulB yeah something like that is definitely the level it needs to be considered. A concern would be playing a note and assigning it to the low E, then playing another note simultaneously that is lower than the note currently played. Ideally you would want that note to be assigned to the Low E instead but you already have a note playing on that string and you can't stop it. Technically you could make it so that you could play multiple notes on the same string simultaneously but thats the easy way out, I'm sure there will be a better way. Need to sit down and bash out all the issues to consider really.

• edited September 2013

If it's live input, there's not much you can do to avoid it other than try to allow for the possibility by preferring higher stringed options for each note, and when the situation does arise (and it will), stop the previous note and play the new one, since that's what a guitarist would do. These issues have been around for centuries, a lot of classical guitar pieces were originally transcribed from harpsichord.
    You can always make string limited playing an option, so the user can choose which solution is applied.

• Having a toggle option is a good idea Paul, best of both worlds then.