Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• I still use my guitar as my #1 instrument. All my synths and MIDI is to accommodate my axe...But when i see these videos, I know that electric guitar is not dead...just getting better and more expressive...especially with MIDI. Some purests may say this is too much...perhaps... But I feel its only the beginning of bigger and better things!

• I don't think so. Software keeps getting easier and easier for non-musicians (like myself) t make very passable sonic compositions. But, I think eventually the audience will tire of synthetic skill and crave the real thing.

You just can't emulate the soul of the player with code. Haven't heard software that can hold a candle to the guitar magnificence that's forged from the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn or Prince.

• Not if Vulse has anything to say about it!

Vulse by Joseph Constantakis
    https://appsto.re/ca/YZigjb.i

• @AudioGus said:
    Not if Vulse has anything to say about it!

Vulse by Joseph Constantakis
    https://appsto.re/ca/YZigjb.i

I'm going to enjoy myself later with that accompanied by a few beverages ... looks like fun for a freebie.

• "Is the electric guitar dead?".

I plugged mine in and it still works (har, har). I know here in Austin, Texas the electric guitar is as healthy as ever...

• It was a great article. Been all over the net, lots of discussion. There are way too many guitars on the market. And there are no new guitar heroes. Taylor Swift is the biggest thing in guitar players in years, from a popularity point of view. That's the gist of it, and can't disagree. I still love to play. My girls listen to mostly EDM. They could give a shit about guitar, and I don't think most other kids do. Unless we get another wave like punk or grunge, we won't get kids enthused.

• @rickwaugh : You just wonderfully condensed that entire article into a single paragraph.. Well done, sir!

• The electric guitar's been dead for 30 years! Time for a comeback...

[ducks] :wink:

• Last time I checked (yesterday) my guitar was alive and well and best friends with KRFT and Gadget :smile:

• my dozen or so guitars think they're dead :o

• Mine is just resting.

• This articles premise is just symptomatic of what's wrong with corporate commerce, especially in America.

For instance it reports Gibson going from an annual revenue of $2.1 billion to $1.7 billion in three years...as if to say a company operating with $1.7 BILLION, with a B, in revenue is a failure. Yes, that's revenue not profit, but it's that capitalistic fallacy that if you didn't make more than what you made the year before you're fucked. "We only made $380 million in PROFIT this year, that's down $10 million from last year...yes gentleman it's true, the guitar is dead and we're done for."
    Really??

One could be tempted to say the answer is as easy as comparing​ the effect of the internet on the print newspaper industry to the digital revolutions​ effect on the guitar industry but that wouldn't​ hold up. As the article states "there aren't any guitar heroes". It only would take a small handful of bands & a few great players to energize the rock n' roll/guitar music scene...I don't think anything is going to energize the newspaper industry.

Those few bands and a couple of virtuoso players aren't as fantastical as it may seem in 2017. In 1990 one could of written a similar article saying that hair metal, hip hop and the synthesizer had murdered the guitar and it was only a matter of time before no one ever picked up a Strat again. Well, two years later grunge/alternative took off and though they were unlikely guitar heroes, cats like Cobain, Corgan, et al (about as far from Clapton as you can get) were just as successful in turning on a generation on to the guitar.

Following the logic of the capitalist society at the centerpiece of this article, the nineties were even more important than the sixties as far as "guitar as commodity" goes since more money by more companies was made in the '90's than in the '60's.

I submit that like everything entertainment based today there is just a great deal of choice out there. The guitar isn't dead. It is just competing with smartphones, PS4's, Netflix, twitter, etc. for the time & attention of the young in this​ world today.

The great benefit of everyone having instant information, the entire history of mankind and borderless communication in their pocket is that when that next guitar band/guitar God does arrive they'll have that much more of audience to reach & influence.

• edited June 2017

No, and the electric guitar will always have a prime spot in live performance. But in a studio/ on an iPad/ PC & Mac, it is now much easier for those with a sonic imagination and no training, to convincingly fake it.

• It's like asking if Yorkshire bagpipes are dead...

• One big sunspot surge - bing - all the samples, songs, data and software is wiped out.

Still got my geetar though.

The forms of music creation that are most at risk are software based. Ignoring my sunspot jive, they're so transient I've had hairstyles that have lasted longer than some soft synths, and technologies come and go.

• This is all about business, Of course the electric guitar is dead, the manually driven car is dead. Today I have software which I can use generate sounds that I didn't even dream of, with just a few button presses. Way too many options. I also picked up the ukulele and mountain dulcimer in the last year or so. All of them make my mind reel with the possibilities.

My electric guitar has sat idle for probably 5 years. I couldn't care less if the electric guitar industry turns into something else. Music will happen it doesn't depend on any particular means of producing it. Great time to be alive and creating noise with all these options..

• You need to hold the sign if you think it is in fact dead. Never mind, I will do the sign holding this time.

• edited June 2017

Marco Parisi killed it

Btw he killed also the sax and the cello. The rumour says he even killed the radio star.

Just kidding
    :trollface:

• @Martinj said:
    Last time I checked (yesterday) my guitar was alive and well and best friends with KRFT and Gadget :smile:

wowz!

• I can't imagine 'popular music' not cycling around to guitar driven stuff at some point... If anything just from the simple fact that (to many) jamming on stage with your guitar will always look cooler than tapping on a keyboard or iPad... most of us picked up the guitar in the first place precisely for that reason. :)

As for software Instruments replicating guitar playing, I agree they are a handy way to create 'filler' stuff like simple arpeggios in the background (I do), they make good sense for non-guitar players to fill out their tunes, and in the hands of a skilled player (such as in that Roli video), they can mimic some basic soloing. But there are dozens of technical things a really good guitar player can do with picking and fingering that, though they might eventually be 'mimicable' on a keyboard, would require so much hotkeying and key-combo-ing that it will always be harder than just doing it on a guitar! Imagine trying to recreate Tommy Emanuel with a synth... ha!)

Besides, it's a beautiful thing to lie on your back on the couch and just play your stress away. If you're already a competent keyboard player, it's not a difficult instrument to pick up, and will add a lot of beauty to your life. :)

• Playing arpeggios on your iphone at the beach is never going to attract the girls like dude who can sing and play guitar. Nerds with machines might be cool now but it can't last. ;)
    String instrument and voice has been central to most folk music going back 1000's of years.

• edited June 2017

Mmm no. @Tovokas

BUT

Besides, it's a beautiful thing to lie on your back on the couch and just play your stress away. If you're already a competent keyboard player, it's not a difficult instrument to pick up, and will add a lot of beauty to your life. :)

This is the point of my previous videos are how Marco and his guests are enjoying playing their instruments which is the TRUE reason why any of them are dead. Meanwhile one person still play the instrument it will be alive even when you have better sounding alternatives. It's a tool and nobody could say anybody which one to choose but also neither dimish the newer.

Just a matter of choice and needs.

From market side pov people will kill tools everyday but I don't expect guitarrist switching to Roli. I don't expect even keyboardists, maybe a few... but the Seabordist will be a new kind of instrumentalist and that's the point. It's like "Paco de Lucia" vs "Jimi Hendrix", both are guitarrist and you have in between "Raimundo Amador" but electric guitar didn't kill the acoustic, synths didn't kill the piano, drumboxes didn't kill the drummer and djs didn't kill the combo musicians. It's the same history over and over... people choose, fashion comes and goes but GOOD music remains.

If our music lacks in Soul no matter what tool we choose. If it's plenty of it, neither.
    It's all about the music.

• @Alex fox said:

@Martinj said:
    Last time I checked (yesterday) my guitar was alive and well and best friends with KRFT and Gadget :smile:

wowz!

Thanks a lot @Alex fox :smiley:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Mmm no. @Tovokas

I agree with most of what you're saying, especially about the durability of good music. But though Marco's playing is a beautiful musical expression in it's own right, and worthy of praise, it doesn't really sound anything like Hendrix on a stat. Sorry, it doesn't. And again, there are so many things that the Roli cannot currently mimic. Rakes? Pick squeals? Finger brushes? Different tones between fingers, thumb, picks and nails? The amazing variety of hammer offs and slides? Body sounds? Harmonics? It can do amazing things, but in the end it can only mimic a tiny portion of what a real stringed instrument can do.

• I've been teaching in a high school for 16 years that is 90 plus percent minority; I say that because guitars are often associated with white kids from the suburbs. Year after year, there are always between 12-16 kids per grade who are carrying guitars around with them. There are also the guitar players who don't bring their guitars to school. Almost none of those kids is playing a Fender or a Gibson. It's often guitar brands of which I've never heard. When a kid happens to have a Fender or a Gibson, it almost always belonged to a family member who passed it down. As was stated above, the market is saturated and guitars are family heirlooms these days. There are still plenty of people playing, just not buying at Fender and Gibson prices.

• @supanorton said:
    There are still plenty of people playing, just not buying at Fender and Gibson prices.

That's a great point. "Cheap" guitars are amazing today compared to when I started, and for many, their 'second' guitar in the $300-500 range is all they'll ever need. (After 40 years of playing, I'm totally happy with my $300 Yamaha Pacifica, and the 60's Gibson SG I once loved is floating in the saturated market somewhere...)

• The electric guitar is definitely not dead... most of the globally recognised virtuoso's are though, or in retirement :cry:

• edited June 2017

@Tovokas
    For the majority of the uses and crowd it mimics more than need. You can try putting it to non-expert guitarrist blind test and see what happens by yourself, also check the comments in these videos where some guitarrist state he sound better than they playing regular guitar. It depends on player and goals. At the Sax video Marco plays bassline and wind section doing chords. How will you perform that with the Sax?
    Bass and guitar at the same time? You can't but it doesn't makes the guitar worst, just different tool. Virtuossos are good to enroll but new-users start without knowledge and take profit of all the possibilities takes effort which goes against "popularity". Roli could die before born.

Disclaimer
    Any guitarrist hurt in the made of my previous comments :kissing_heart:

Technology will continue evolving more and more and those requeriments could be programmed but we agree, it's still only for good players (which I call Seabordist in this case) so it could be easy for some of us just learn to play the guitar atm. Maybe with the proper evolution some kind of users will don't need the guitar. Probably these will never want deeply to learn it neither. Maybe that evolution changes the guitar itself into something more user-friendly. Who knows...

Interfaces will evolve and music will evolve too. Music notation and composition too (I hope) What makes relevant or not a tool is they users and I don't find the guitar useless but neither the most user-friendly. Usually is the first choice for most entry-level songwritters so if the guitar should be dead what about the tuba or accordion? Popularity is not the only factor to determine an instrument longevity IMHO. ITOH there are more dj controllers sold than guitars atm. Good or bad? Time will show us...

So, I feel this goes far beyond the guitar. We live in a society where kids grow with smartphones and google search in your hand. Most of them with the power possibilities of an entire studio on the go but we still study music composition with classical stuff (almost in my country it's still how music is teached) and that gap is what hurts old instruments really.

Music doesn't needs "better" instruments but people wants easiest interfaces towards music generation and that includes instruments and languages. That part of the original article is were the key is hidden!

The guitar (or piano or whatever) aren't dead but will remain as is in the future? Idk by maybe I will not be alive to see that change happen so maybe it will be better keep practicing neo soul chords or sensual sax solos at my launchkeys meanwhile I launch some loops from Launchpad app. It isn't like play in a band but almost is fun and let me improve from my actual knowledge to my goal. :wink: