Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

First Electronica Piece

Been thinking about doing this for a while. I'm an old guitar player, was adding various other instruments through midi to my guitar tracks. I loved the huge number of choices of sounds available, and the freedom to do anything I wanted. This was written entirely in standard notation in Notion, exported as midi, imported into Auria. Sounds are from Fabfilter synths, and Beathawk, which worked very nicely as an AU. Really got to play with the Fabfilter plugins here, and this is where they truly shine, IMO.

I have no idea what genre this would fit under. Any suggestions as to what it sounds like would be much appreciated. Also, suggestions on artists. I come from a guitar instrumental/classical/prog rock background, would love suggestions on what electronica artists/styles to listen to.

All suggestions/comments/criticisms welcome.

Comments

• edited June 2017

NIce piece. I grew up on a solid foundation of prog rock/fusion (Yes, RTF, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc.), and spent many years listening to/studying all different types of music. I play numerous instruments, but guitar is about the only one I can play respectably. So I can relate to a lot of what you say. I don't pay a lot of attention to genres and labels. You can pretty much make up your own micro-genre these days. The surprising part of this piece is that you apparently wrote stuff out in notation? This sounds more improvised than composed to me, but maybe that's just my way of hearing (don't really use notation).

You're welcome to check out my stuff, if you haven't already. It's all over the place in terms of genres, but should probably evince some elements of my progressive fusiony background/interests/orientation.

https://soundcloud.com/lady-app-titude

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    NIce piece. I grew up on a solid foundation of prog rock/fusion (Yes, RTF, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc.), and spent many years listening to/studying all different types of music. I play numerous instruments, but guitar is about the only one I can play respectably. So I can relate to a lot of what you say. I don't pay a lot of attention to genres and labels. You can pretty much make up your own micro-genre these days. The surprising part of this piece is that you apparently wrote stuff out in notation? This sounds more improvised than composed to me, but maybe that's just my way of hearing (don't really use notation).

You're welcome to check out my stuff, if you haven't already. It's all over the place in terms of genres, but should probably evince some elements of my progressive fusiony background/interests/orientation.

https://soundcloud.com/lady-app-titude

Thanks. It does sound somewhat improv, but I liked that feel to it. Thanks for the link, I've listened to your stuff on the forum before, and quite like it. I'll have more of a listen. I'm just trying to find out what's been done before, and what's interesting. A lot of EDM is pretty dull stuff to me, but I know there has to be more progressive music out there, that doesn't go too far and degenerate into a bunch of random noise.

• Nice sounding piece. A genre comes to mind: Electro Prog Rock but what do I know? I usually struggle with identifying my own stuff much less anything else--LOL.

• @TozBourne said:
    Nice sounding piece. A genre comes to mind: Electro Prog Rock but what do I know? I usually struggle with identifying my own stuff much less anything else--LOL.

Yeah, I know. I'm a niche in my own mind. :D

• In terms of artists to check out doing current electronic-based music, Todd Rundgren comes to mind. He comes out of the 60s (acid rock) and 70s (prog rock) and has continually updated with the times over his 50 year career. It's hard to pick examples because his stuff is so continuously evolving and mutating, but here is what he sounded like in his prog rock phase (1974) and then an example of some of the kind of stuff he does nowadays.

• Interesting, @Lady_App_titude. Used to listen to Rundgren a lot back in the day. The Ikon was a great album. It would make sense that if he's still in the game, this would be what he's doing, though he was a great guitar player. He must be in his 70s at least by now. I guess Brian Eno would be worth checking out again as well.

• @rickwaugh said:
    Interesting, @Lady_App_titude. Used to listen to Rundgren a lot back in the day. The Ikon was a great album. It would make sense that if he's still in the game, this would be what he's doing, though he was a great guitar player. He must be in his 70s at least by now. I guess Brian Eno would be worth checking out again as well.

Today is actually his birthday. He turns 69 today. :)

• His latest album has a collaboration with Joe Satriani, BTW.

• Nice!. Damn, I apparently can't get that video in Canada. Will look for it.

• In terms of a younger artist... I rarely see anything that I can recommend, but I just ran across this guy Louis Cole. He does these really slick short songs w/ Youtube videos. He's got something extra going on.

• I also like this guy Bernhoft from Norway ... Amazing talent. (Also maybe one of the world's best live loopers.)

• Like them both. But, they play real instruments. :D

• Nice work!

• Altogether too prog for my taste, but that must mean you've nailed it :) Thanks for sharing....

• Lol, @JohnnyGoodyear. I'll probably stick it back in Song of the Month Club next month. And thanks, @Nu2moro.

• The delays, runs and non scale tones may give it a bit of that improv sound @Lady_App_titude spoke of but I can totally hear the thought and composition Rick put into this.

Very unique interval jumps and the production especially on the melody is very cool (love the squelchy, almost walkie talkie like tone at the end of one of the phrases.

I'm of the '"F*** Labels" camp so I say don't worry about what the track "is" or "isn't". Thanks for sharing it man...

• Thanks, @jrsiv. I know, I'm more thinking now about seeing if anyone else out there is doing anything similar. I'm sure there is. It's just finding it.

• Wonderful song! The lead synth is awesome!

• @theconnactic said:
    Wonderful song! The lead synth is awesome!

Thanks, Dmitri. Much appreciated.

• Sounds like a cross between Prog Rock and Complextro/Dubstep. Maybe Dub Rock? Whatever it is, I like how improvised it feels. :) Cheers.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Sounds like a cross between Prog Rock and Complextro/Dubstep. Maybe Dub Rock? Whatever it is, I like how improvised it feels. :) Cheers.

Lol. Tx.

• if you hadn't revealed the details I'd almost bet it's been done with the Fairlight/Peter Vogel CMI app.
    Not just for the 80-ish drums, but the whole sequencing/timing reminds me on it.
    Of course your sounds are more hifi, and the drums don't smack as much as back then ;)
    Too bad the CMI app doesn't output midi live, but only exports a file.

• @Telefunky said:
    if you hadn't revealed the details I'd almost bet it's been done with the Fairlight/Peter Vogel CMI app.
    Not just for the 80-ish drums, but the whole sequencing/timing reminds me on it.
    Of course your sounds are more hifi, and the drums don't smack as much as back then ;)
    Too bad the CMI app doesn't output midi live, but only exports a file.

Lol, I obviously have much to learn about the history of electronic music, as I have no idea what that is. Interesting.