Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Mutating" drum apps?

I'm looking for a drum app that offers "mutation" like Brambos Troublemaker and Ripplemaker. I have ElasticDrums and the randomization feature works nicely, but I don't see a subtle mutation feature. I have Patterning and I can set the probability per layer--but that's not necessarily a mutation and it's a pain to set each layer (I'd like global percentage settings as in the Brambos apps). Maybe Future Drummer?

Comments

• From what I remember, ElasticDrums lets you set a probability value per step. When enabling automation there is a % value wheel that you can map.

• Different drummer

• @LemurFlight said:
    From what I remember, ElasticDrums lets you set a probability value per step. When enabling automation there is a % value wheel that you can map.

Yes, but it still needs to be set per step (which is a pain). I want to set as a global percentage across a pattern.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Different drummer

I was afraid you'd say this. Looks scary!

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Different drummer

This

And yea, it can be scary at first but it's extremely capable

• FutureDrummer. Or any of his other drum apps.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    FutureDrummer. Or any of his other drum apps.

This one looks less intimidating that Different Drummer to me. You set the jam intensity to alter the mutation, right?

• Can't DrumPerfect Pro do this?

• The point imo is that both ripple and trouble are monophonic on one hand and in the other they will eventually generate coherent sounds where a full fledge drum machine needs to operate on separate channels for every part of the kit. Then you can introduce 2 hands 2 feet rule to determine to have or not some kind of human drummer feel and lots of other rules(have a look at Wotja, beatwave).
    BUT generative percussions kits will sound pretty shitty anyway until you force them in a certain set of rules/genre(see Luis Martinez apps or DrumPerfect sound-and-pattern sets)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    FutureDrummer. Or any of his other drum apps.

This one looks less intimidating that Different Drummer to me. You set the jam intensity to alter the mutation, right?

Yep. And you can choose groove intensity per drum type I believe. Plus it will do random fills every x number of bars.

It's great IMO...

It does its thing, and it's thing is nice.

• DrumJam in preferences you can set the parameters for the mutation and what gets mutated or just press the button willy-nilly on the front for either the instrument(s) or the beat to change. You can also "mutate" your thumb over the whole ansemble for added hits.

• All of Luis' Machine apps are what's closest to what your looking for... or a drummer :p

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mschenkel.it: that's the rub, for sure. And I'm looking for something with the two hands/two feet logic baked in.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000: thanks!

@audiblevideo: I have a drummer and he's great. Just need something for when he's busy! Forgot about DJ, so thanks for that idea; will try it. I have to investigate Luis' apps to see what the difference is between them. Do I recall correctly that Future Drummer is the only one with MIDI out?

• The difference is the genre and the round robin samples used. The Midi bit I think both rock and future have.

• You could also try inserting MF Limiter (or not - to constrict the triggered hits on any midi drum machine) and MF Randomizer to vary to taste

• Different Drummer is great for anything impromptu or varying. You could also try it's "smaller second cousin" Oscilab.

Assign a track to drums pick the octave and notes triggered and change the frequency of all the waves or the shapes or the periods - -

Going to have to try this myself :#

• @audiblevideo said:
    You could also try inserting MF Limiter (or not - to constrict the triggered hits on any midi drum machine) and MF Randomizer to vary to taste

Now that's an idea. Will try that too.

• please ask Louis to allow sample import and audio export as well

• edited June 2017

@audiblevideo said:
    All of Luis' Machine apps are what's closest to what your looking for... or a drummer :p

+1 For Luis' Machine apps...Future drummer combined with Effectrix or Turnado produces pretty awesome glitchy electronic "mutations." :smiley: But I have gigged with Funk Drummer and Soft Drummer alongside my BeatBuddy pedal. I am about to get a Blueboard which I plan to use to map drum breaks/fills to these apps alongside or in place of my BeatBuddy pedal... Thinking of taking the plunge on DifferentDrummer or DrumPerfect once Blueboard arrives... I think being able to control drums with feet is where its at!

• I do this, I do kits ----lots of kits.

What I do is have themes of the kits.

So, mid song in apps like iMaschine or Patterning I change kits outright.

I always keep 1 or 2 sounds so it ties in but that is my method.

It is antiquated but I find its fun since I don't remember all the kits so am often surprised.

I also think effects are more the answer for me describing your desire.

I think FX with Turnado, CSSpectral, or some others mutate the kits more than a little.

Just me though

• To answer your question:

Seek Beats

The Godfather of randomization/ mutation

• Seakbeats randomizes note placement?

• @audiblevideo said:
    Seakbeats randomizes note placement?

@audiblevideo said:
    Seakbeats randomizes note placement?

No it does not.

I thought it did but checked and nada

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm looking for a drum app that offers "mutation" like Brambos Troublemaker and Ripplemaker. I have ElasticDrums and the randomization feature works nicely, but I don't see a subtle mutation feature. I have Patterning and I can set the probability per layer--but that's not necessarily a mutation and it's a pain to set each layer (I'd like global percentage settings as in the Brambos apps). Maybe Future Drummer?

Yep, I do miss Jamstix... Wish it was IOS..

• @RustiK someone mentioned (in another thread) that DM1 on the Pad(?) randomized notes (as well as everything else)

Do you, or anyone else, know if it does? I know the phone doesn't, and that it's short in features compared to the pad version in a few other things.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @RustiK someone mentioned (in another thread) that DM1 on the Pad(?) randomized notes (as well as everything else)

Do you, or anyone else, know if it does? I know the phone doesn't, and that it's short in features compared to the pad version in a few other things.

Here's DM1's randomize options on the iPad.

• edited June 2017

Luis Martinez over here.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @mschenkel.it: that's the rub, for sure. And I'm looking for something with the two hands/two feet logic baked in.

@audiblevideo: I have a drummer and he's great. Just need something for when he's busy! Forgot about DJ, so thanks for that idea; will try it. I have to investigate Luis' apps to see what the difference is between them. Do I recall correctly that Future Drummer is the only one with MIDI out?

Only Future Drummer has midi out right now (AFAIK)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @mschenkel.it: that's the rub, for sure. And I'm looking for something with the two hands/two feet logic baked in.

Only Future Drummer has midi out right now (AFAIK)

>