Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tuning Ruismaker Kicks?

Firstly, let's just give credit where credit is due. Ruismaker is by far the best sounding, most immediate and most intuitive drum synth that I've ever touched!! Thanks @brambos. Audiobus, AUM, Patterning, Ruismaker. Other apps come and go, these four are forever!

Onto my enquiry..
Does anyone here have any practical or theoretical experience with tuning Ruismaker kick drums to a track? As of this far, I've basically turned the dial until it sounded good. I want to create a more intuitive (I use two different Kick sounds)/more accessible/more immediate/more automatable (etc.) system.

Is there any resource available to know what MIDI value relates to what pitch value? What increments do they tune by? Any other info which could be useful?

The two instruments I'm primarily interested in are FM Kick 2 and Mellow 70s Kick.

One specific question: If in set those two kick's AU parameters to the same MIDI CC, will their tuning be matched when I turn it? (Or are they tuned differently).

Any insight is welcome!

Thanks,
Oscar

Ps. Passing observation: Any bassists in the house? Try running Ruismaker through a Markbass Black Line head with the low mids up slightly, low mids down a tad and VLE and VPF controls both between 1/3 to 2/3 (to taste). Run through a cab if possible.. Woohooooo!!!

Comments

• I just use abletons tuner to see what each drum layer is playing in my multiout Ruismaker rack. And tune them all Till they're in key with my song. Not sure if there is something similar on IOS.

• A tuner may help, but there's no particular logic to the tuning of Ruismaker's drums. The tuning ranges were all tuned by ear, to provide the broadest sweetspots.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I just use abletons tuner to see what each drum layer is playing in my multiout Ruismaker rack. And tune them all Till they're in key with my song. Not sure if there is something similar on IOS.

@brambos said:
    A tuner may help, but there's no particular logic to the tuning of Ruismaker's drums. The tuning ranges were all tuned by ear, to provide the broadest sweetspots.

Thanks both, useful practical and technical info.

I will test it with my iOS tuner of choice, Tonal Energy by Sonosaurus! (amazing tool!)

I'm thinking based on this insight that for live performance situations, I'm just going to find a point which gives the best timbral and tonal results for the biggest majority possible of our repertoire, and leave it there.