Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RECENT 'InspireFest' concert in AirBnB HQ - Follow Up [pics/video clips]

.. no, not 'an' AirBnB, but AirBnB's European HQ in Dublin!

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/airbnb-dublin-office-photos

The event is part of Silicon Republic's 'Inspire Fest' event.

I'm sure it'll be a very interesting concert (we both love crossing over Culture & Tech .. what could be more culturally relevant than how people connect?). I've already got a setup prepared which leans more towards sequencing than my usual UDAGAN performance patches. I'll post more info and footage as it's ready! (I already have 2-3 concerts worth of footage backed up and ready to start posting..)

Apps in play:
AB2/ABR
AUM
MIDI Link Sync
ThumbJam
Samplr
Patterning
Modstep
Navichord (new addition)
Ruismaker
Loopy (may be subbed out for SECTOR in performance, but Loopy in prep stages)
Crystalline,
RP-1
WOW
Limiter
AUFX:Space
AUFX:Push
Viking Synth
Samvada
RF-1

Air2/Mini2 iCA4+ rig

Oscar

Comments

• edited June 2017

Actually, just a quick request regarding @Navichord to it's developer:
    I'm absolutely loving intergrating this into my performance flow, but would it be (or is it already?) possible to play the chord pads with playable velocity? I have them mapped to a 4x4 pad controller but they just play at the preset velocity level. To push things just a little further.. if it's something that you'd consider adding to the app in a future update, a 'velocity range' setting for pad controllers would keep things under control while making it much more dynamic and 'performative'.

• Very cool! How are you using navichord in your live show? Do you improvise chord changes?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Very cool! How are you using navichord in your live show? Do you improvise chord changes?

This will be the first time but my plan in performance is to use the pad mappings to give me a live chords pad bank to perform with, in addition to giving me the possibility to sequence 'one note chord sequences' through modstep using the ready prepared bank. Because of the nature of the ethnic instruments I'm working with, there are a lot of bass drones and pedal tones, so it's well suited for a carefully considered bank of harmonic options.

I've not battle tested any of this yet but from poking around I think it's feasibly possible.

• Very interesting. Love watching the evolution of your iOS rig.

• @OscarSouth wow, can't wait to see your performance, please share when you have a moment! Would be great to have a special session for geeks about your setup and live interactions as well.

Could you describe your use case:
    Do you play the progression manually, pad by pad and want to make velocity variations?
    Do you play via pad player and want to control velocity live (not touching pads)?
    Do you need separate velocity for chord voices?

• @OscarSouth , oh I see. You need external keyboard velocity to control chord velocity, right?

• edited June 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Very interesting. Love watching the evolution of your iOS rig.

Me too! (It's a never ending, demanding and utterly rewarding process!). We've done a lot of 'concept' shows recently so I've used a lot of crazy variations, but I'm hoping to settle into a 'bread and butter' performance setup and really refine it. I'm a big advocate of sharing everything and keeping knowledge public, so if/when that happens I'll make the effort to post some in depth stuff discussing it.

I've been interested in and looking forward to incorporating Navichord for a while. I'm actually doing some music theory scribbling to determine my chord bank right now! (In the Bank Of Ireland! .. the 'Silicon Docks' branch has a workbench for startup style businesses to use and develop, so I come here to do iOS development!)

@Navichord said:
    @OscarSouth wow, can't wait to see your performance, please share when you have a moment! Would be great to have a special session for geeks about your setup and live interactions as well.

Could you describe your use case:
    Do you play the progression manually, pad by pad and want to make velocity variations?
    Do you play via pad player and want to control velocity live (not touching pads)?
    Do you need separate velocity for chord voices?

I often do a little talking about the iOS platform and the unique creative dynamic shared between developers and artists. I may dig in a little deeper for this performance, as the audience and context are more Tech based.

As you suggest, I'm playing the progression pad by pad, live, and would like the pads velocity to be reflected in the velocity sent out of Navichord.

I don't think separate velocity for voices in this manner would be 'playable' (or at least very complex to configure) but if you wanted to lean in that direction then a 'bass emphasis/treble emphasis' button/slider could be useful, for accentuating the top or bottom of the voicing.

I don't want to throw too much opinion or over the top request in, as I'm a complete non-developer, but I guess I'm kind of imagining something leaning towards a 'live mode', where the 16 pads are more focussed on live performance than as a repeating progression.

• @Navichord said:
    @OscarSouth , oh I see. You need external keyboard velocity to control chord velocity, right?

Simply and basically, yeah!

• @OscarSouth said:

@Navichord said:
    @OscarSouth , oh I see. You need external keyboard velocity to control chord velocity, right?

No problem, I will add it in the next update. However I don't think it will be on time for this performance...

• @Navichord said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Navichord said:

No problem, I will add it in the next update. However I don't think it will be on time for this performance...

That's ok, it already works great as it is. It'll just add even more expressive possibilities for future performances! Thanks very much!

• @OscarSouth
    Any news of video from this gig. It "look/sound" s interesting? :#

• edited June 2017

@idexis said:
    @OscarSouth
    Any news of video from this gig. It "look/sound" s interesting? :#

AUM hoping that it'll be recorded by the event, if not I'll set up a camcorder.

I'm working on prep for it right now!!

Edit.. I'm actually going to just leave that auto correct in there. Seems that iOS has a (corny) sense of humour..

• @OscarSouth
    Ha, good one, I kind' figured out what had happened. It's maybe an omen. Some setup you've got. Look forward to see. Jam on!

• Rocknroll! Have fun!!