Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Troublemaker, the MIDI sender

Much deserved love was given to the fabulous Ripplemaker, but just as noteworthy for me was the Troublemaker update. Both the scale lock randomization and the MIDI out via AB3 are fantastic additions to this already-great app!

My initial experiments with Troublemaker as a MIDI sender to synths and samplers have yielded promising results. I've found that mixing the internal TM sounds with external sound sources can result in some massive bass tones. I'm particularly fond of mixing my thunderous Animoog bass patches with the TM sounds. I've found that I have to tweak some synths to get better results from the slides/ties; for instance, turning on legato in Poison-202, etc. Anyone fiddled about with different apps and the Troublemaker sequence and can share ideas?

Thanks, @brambos for continually giving us nice things to play with!

Comments

• Good to hear it's useful and I hope it contributes to the momentum and success that AB3 deserves with its excellent Midi facilities and ease of implementation!

• Troublemaker MIDI to Galileo. Holy Mackerel!!!!

• @gusgranite said:
    Troublemaker MIDI to Galileo. Holy Mackerel!!!!

Just tried that out. A most excellent combo that I likely would never have thought to explore.

• edited June 2017

if i add TM to AB3 midi input the audio cuts off. expected?

EDIT: solved by using the AU version in the output slot. Would be nice if audio and midi were concurrent though.

• edited June 2017

Errr, midi out? AllI see when I tap the Midi icon in Troublemaker when in AB3 is Midi in. Any chance of a few screen grabs to show a bewildered fellow what he's doing wrong?

• @crifytosp said:

Yes, that's according to AB3 protocol. A midi sender must mute its own sound engine.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Errr, midi out? AllI see when I tap the Midi icon in Troublemaker when in AB3 is Midi in. Any chance of a few screen grabs to show a bewildered fellow what he's doing wrong?

You don't need to do anything. When loaded in an AB3 Midi slot it works automatically. Coremidi will be disabled when inside an AB3 midi slot. Audiobus Midi is Plug and play.

• Oh wow. Just realized the best sequencer on iOS does MIDI out. So good. The mutation levels at just 5% is just incredible for keeping a sequence fresh.

• @brambos said:

@crifytosp said:

Yes, that's according to AB3 protocol. A midi sender must mute its own sound engine.

Which makes sense! Easy enough to hook it up as both sender and receiver.

• Doesnt make sense to me, unless it's a performance issue..

• @crifytosp said:
    Doesnt make sense to me, unless it's a performance issue..

I guess the rationale is that a midi sender should only generate midi. The receiving app should decide how to process and render those notes. Otherwise it makes more sense to use the app in a normal audio slot.

• but why be mutually exclusive?

• I suppose that clear rules avoid inconsistencies between how different apps implement the midi features.

• yes, oh well. never mind, huge amounts of fun to be had anyway.
    While your here, I was thinking, if troublemaker could save without stopping would that be difficult?
    would be nice if the pattern list persisted until a touch outside the panel too?

• I'm enjoying it with Redshrike!

• Can you use it without AB3 and just core midi?

• @db909 said:
    Can you use it without AB3 and just core midi?

It doesn't look like it, but I am not sure.
    Drat! I was planning on sticking with AB2 for a bit longer...

Maybe someone can clear this up for us?

• Nope, Core MIDI only not happening for me.

• Crap I guess it's time to upgrade audiobus

• Audiobus 3 MIDI only for now.

• @brambos said:
    You don't need to do anything. When loaded in an AB3 Midi slot it works automatically. Coremidi will be disabled when inside an AB3 midi slot. Audiobus Midi is Plug and play.

Nope. Very likely me doing something wrong. I loaded Troublemaker into top Midi slot of AB3. Added MidiFlow Randomizer to FX slot. Then two RIPPLEMAKER AU's to bottom slot. Result, no sound.

This is harder than it looks, especially as the UK is brain boiling hot at the moment.

• @Zen210507 said:

@brambos said:

Nope. Very likely me doing something wrong. I loaded Troublemaker into top Midi slot of AB3. Added MidiFlow Randomizer to FX slot. Then two RIPPLEMAKER AU's to bottom slot. Result, no sound.

Maybe try it first without Midiflow in between. Just to take one element out of the equation.

• @brambos holy shit = trouble + ripple + AB3 + AU (more trouble) :)

• @brambos said:
    Maybe try it first without Midiflow in between. Just to take one element out of the equation.

Ah ha! I have lift off. Thanks, Mr Brambos. Will experiment and try to work out why MidiFlow (made forvAB3) doesn't seem to work in this combo.

• It's a great midi sender in AB3 :) Quick question: can you also use Ripplemaker as a midi sender in AB3?