Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Choosing your synth app (only one)

Comments

• Nave would be another good candidate.

• .> @Samu said:

Nave would be another good candidate.

Nave vs poison ?

• Alchemy? so GarageBand :trollface:

• @Korakios said:
    .> @Samu said:

Nave would be another good candidate.

Nave vs poison ?

Could work! Nave has a more flexible modulation routing and the envelopes can be looped.
    The wave-table editing is awesome as is it's speech synthesis. The Nave arpeggiator runs circles around Poison-202 and the 'blades' offer more expressive playing options and it has a built-in 4 track tape-recoder for noodling ideas. So for 'desert island' if only one music app was allowed Nave would go quite far :)

• Nave would be my vote, even though I find the interface a bit cluttered personally.

• edited June 2017

Don't forget, people, that I've done a WTFKnobs on Nave's "Spectrum" section (in fact it was my first, and prompted by the fact that I didn't understand what the exact function of those three knobs did, so I dug in and ultimately guessed, then told everyone else what I had guessed).

• Animoog hands down. I couldn't live without that sound

• addictive pro

• Well I can use Poison-202 as multiple instances. I don't even really use it all that much but if it had to be one only? Wait maybe it would be Mood. I don't know? One of those two to build full tracks. Ok Poison-202! That would work for drums, synth, bass, pads, textures. Yep.

• im1 (an all in one synth, it even has it own drum kits)

• Audulus, because... Audulus. But that sorta feels like I'm cheating.

For a 'fixed' synth app, iSEM.

• Micrologue synth in Cubasis. Might sound crazy, but I just love the sound of it.

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

For a 'Desert Island' synth I would probably choose something a little more complex (or roll my own while I'm there anyway)

Now you make us wish you were stranded on a desert island! ;)

In a way, it could pair well with the would-be developer thread.
    On a desert island with no synth but access to SuperCollider and some way to make it work as AUs on iOS, would build something rather complex but keeping the interface as minimalistic as possible. Focus on organizing a large variety of my own patches from diverse synthesis methods (SC’s “synthdefs”, basically). Search, tags and categories, audio examples on press, ratings, versioning… The main interface is really just about loading patches which are technically “presets” that you have created in SC.
    Once you load a patch, you only get access to a few, well-defined parameters (a bit like the synths on Novation Circuit). All of these parameters are controllable through AU, of course, but also through OSC and MIDI (with assignment through MIDI learn). But the sound design happens in SuperCollider on a desktop, not on the iOS device.

Of course, that’d require a whole lot of work. But there might not be much to do on that desert island and it’s an occasion to learn cool stuff.

• Layr would probably be The One for me. (I'd have said Synthmaster but couldn't handle the limited tweakability in the long run.)

• With Synthmaster, the "Synthmaster Player" is meant?

• iSelma Hayek

• I mean iSem (damn spellchecker)

• I can't decide between Ipulsaret and Mitosynth. Totally different synths with both very unique features and sounding.

• Since my iPad 2 is only iOS 9, I'm going to pick the 32bit Jasuto. Fun to interact with and the sounds can get quite crazy!

On my iPad Air I'll go with Mood. I've used Model 15 a lot for aquite while and maybe it's time for something new. Plus Mood is AUv3.

• Even though I never use it, I'd say the iMS20, because it does pretty much everything.

• Wavemapper is bae so far. Sunrizer would be it if it was AU

• @tja said:
    With Synthmaster, the "Synthmaster Player" is meant?

Yes :)

• @Korakios said:

@tja said:
    With Synthmaster, the "Synthmaster Player" is meant?

Yes :)

Also yes

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:
    Poison-202 without any kind of hesitation.

I would second this selection. Poison covers a lot of different bases in an accessible way. For a 'Desert Island' synth I would probably choose something a little more complex (or roll my own while I'm there anyway), but for everyday music making this is currently the one that does the most in a single package (in a futureproof way, i.e. with AUv3 support etc.).

I third this selection and second your comments. Beautiful synth that is very expressive.
    Responds wonderfully to midi velocity and midi controllers in an awesome AUv3 package. For more fun, run 202 thru Virsyn BandShift (with subtle and selective shifting).

• @Samu said:

@Purpan said:
    Poison-202. Thor is great but doesn't function as an IAA instrument, which makes it just a little bit more of hassle (very good playable interface, though).

I've had no issues using Poison-202 as IAA-Instrument or AUv3.
    What hosts are you using?

No problems with Poison - it's Thor that's the issue.

• The one I'm most impressed with (and anxiously awaiting the coming update) is LayR. Amazing sonic capabilities and the performance options are excellent.

• @sch said:
    The one I'm most impressed with (and anxiously awaiting the coming update) is LayR. Amazing sonic capabilities and the performance options are excellent.

So, there will be an update? Any time estimation?

• @sch said:
    The one I'm most impressed with (and anxiously awaiting the coming update) is LayR. Amazing sonic capabilities and the performance options are excellent.

• @tja said:

@sch said:

Here's what (the dev) Andy said yesterday:

"So here's what's looking like the final details for update v1.0.4. Just hanging on a tiny bit longer while we continue our tests with Audiobus but hopefully out for the end of June....

LayR Release Notes v1.0.4:

Features & Bug Fixes

Cinematic: A new bank of Performance presets by Brice.
    Ableton Link for arpeggiator. Link can be enabled/disabled in settings.
    MIDI Output port: Enabled with an option in settings, defaults to off.
    MIDI Virtual Destination Chooser: To send MIDI to other apps. Only available when the MIDI out port is enabled.
    MIDI Controller Templates: Tap the new MIDI icon at the top of the Layer Editor view.
    Sends MIDI controller from assigned dials when MIDI Out is enabled, (on the Instrument channel).
    “Pickup” Mode for MIDI controllers. Option in settings.  
    Channel Pressure added to the list of assignable MIDI controllers.
    AudioBus 3: Audio and MIDI.

Settings has an option to stop Master Tempo being set when Performances are loaded.
    Manually loading a performance or instrument makes that bank current for MIDI program select.
    Group and assign on iPad is now high enough to accommodate 8 rows instead of 7
    New Shortcut: Double tapping on a dot in the link/assign view selects or deselects the entire column.
    New Shortcut: In Preset Selector Views, long press on bank names to rename banks.

Fixed: Crash when starting mono-legato voices in 64 voice mode.
    Fixed: Potential crash when rapidly changing presets via MIDI Program Change.
    Fixed: Preset Files stored on iCloud Drive can now be loaded by tapping on them or selecting “Open In…”
    Fixed: Layer volume sliders now show MIDI icon when assigned to a MIDI controller.
    Fixed: MIDI controller assignations no longer seem to disappear after deleting another instrument.
    Fixed: Possible crash caused by corrupt UI after launching from an IAA host.
    Fixed: Layer strip name label resizes font to fit width.
    Fixed: MIDI Assign view rendered incorrectly if a layer has a really long name.
    Fixed: Tempo was not always correctly set when loading a performance.
    Fixed: It’s now possible to select LayR as a MIDI destination from inside other apps. 
    Fixed an envelope bug that could cause loud clicks with some settings.
    Improved voice stealing in attempt to reduce clicks when max polyphony is exceeded.
    Changed the wording of the “Import” button to “Append” in the Load Performance view."