Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noob taking the plunge into iPad audio questions

Hi, folks,

After using a DAW on a PC for years, and slowly building up a hardware synth rig, I'm ready to break the shackles of my computer in terms of live performance, and since I don't have an endless synth budget, I'm getting an iPad to get some more synth sounds. I'm before I buy the hardware, I have a few questions, so I know what's possible. I do plan on getting Audiobus to use as a mixer so I can use a few synths at once.

Looking at the many options and interfaces, I'm not sure what I need, or if it exists.

Basically, I need something that can use both 5-pin and USB midi ins, due to the various controllers and sequencer I use. I know the iConnectivity iConnectAUDIO4+ will do that, but here's the part I'm not sure about. I know I can control the volume levels of the multiple synths through audiobus, but what about a quality output situation? I'd rather not have to use the headphone jack, and, in a live situation, I'd ideally like to be able to send out separate outputs for each synth to the mixing board. Is what I'm asking impossible? Thanks!

Comments

• Others who own the iconnect will hopefully step in but it says 4 analogue outs on the unit in addition to the headphone jack.

• Audiobus doesn't support dedicated hardware outputs, you'd use Kymatica's AUM for that purpose. It works great as a mixer and is fast and easy to operate.
    As you seem to be about synths only and no microphone/guitar input I'd rather use a 'straight' interface.
    The iCA4+ has it's strength in routing between multiple apps on multiple hosts forward and backward - which something not on your schedule.

• @Jocphone said:
    Others who own the iconnect will hopefully step in but it says 4 analogue outs on the unit in addition to the headphone jack.

As far as I know, there are no audio outs on the iConnect.

• @Telefunky said:
    Audiobus doesn't support dedicated hardware outputs, you'd use Kymatica's AUM for that purpose. It works great as a mixer and is fast and easy to operate.
    As you seem to be about synths only and no microphone/guitar input I'd rather use a 'straight' interface.
    The iCA4+ has it's strength in routing between multiple apps on multiple hosts forward and backward - which something not on your schedule.

I'll look into AUM... what do you mean by a 'straight' interface?

• I think that what I'm finding the big obstacle to figuring all of this out is the fact that there is really only one usable port on the iPad, the Lightning port, so it's kind of limiting me to one kind of device. I can probably use an iRig Duo, but that will mean that I can't use any USB midi controllers.

• in this context it means that the inputs and output just appear like that in IOS.
    The iCA4+ comes with a dedicated control panel with a routing matrix for both audio and midi (2 surfaces to be precise), which is quite demanding to setup.
    At least that's implied by countless questions on the net, though it's a plain logical thing.
    But it's design in fact isn't the most intuitive approach and the touch strips for level setting on the box are a pain in the butt to operate.
    The interface would really benefit from physical faders, but that would drive both size and price up significantly.

I'd suggest an interface with direct analog outputs and forget about digital ones like Adat/SPDIF.
    (which is a rather common way to extend an interface with a multichannel converter)
    I use a class-compliant interface with such a thing and it's quite a mess tbh - nothing for the unexperienced, let alone in a live context.
    (re-syncing of the digital clock is a frequent phenomenon under IOS and may come with extreme glitches)

• @Telefunky said:
    in this context it means that the inputs and output just appear like that in IOS.
    The iCA4+ comes with a dedicated control panel with a routing matrix for both audio and midi (2 surfaces to be precise), which is quite demanding to setup.
    At least that's implied by countless questions on the net, though it's a plain logical thing.

As far as I can tell (I read the manual and a lot of reviews, last night), the only way it can route audio is out through USB, which means I would need another interface, as there are no physical audio outs on the unit... but the whole thing is, I'd like to not use a computer in this, at all. Is there some sort of interface that exists that I could send that audio to over the USB that wouldn't require a computer? I don't think so. I think what I'm ultimately going to have to do is to give up the idea of using a USB controller and just have to pick up another one with 5-pin outs, and then put that into an iRig duo or something similar.

• edited June 2017

you seem to mess up 2 different interfaces by iConnectivity:
    they have a Midi line of products that carries digital audio as a kind of piggyback, which would indeed require another converter or PC/Mac/iPad with a conversion unit for output.

The iConnectAudio4+ is a full interface with 4 inputs/4 outputs that can be adressed individually by software from IOS/Windows/MacOS.
    It's also a full digital mixer with free signal routing, very useful for recording.
    While you can use that in a live-situation, it's not necessary if AUM handles the output channels.

• @fivebeforechaos said:

@Jocphone said:
    Others who own the iconnect will hopefully step in but it says 4 analogue outs on the unit in addition to the headphone jack.

As far as I know, there are no audio outs on the iConnect.

I was talking about the iconnectAudio4+ that you originally mentioned. It has 4 audio outs if you read their website.

• @Jocphone said:

>

I was talking about the iconnectAudio4+ that you originally mentioned. It has 4 audio outs if you read their website.

Okay, I didn't see that. I think that you just solved my problem! Thanks.

• @fivebeforechaos said:

@Jocphone said:

>

Okay, I didn't see that. I think that you just solved my problem! Thanks.

You're welcome. Might also want to check out the focusrite sapphire 6i6. Six in and outs plus midi. But it's always worth asking whether a device can do exactly what you think you want achieve and how difficult it is to achieve. Like @Telefunky said, people find the iconnect things a little challenging at times.

• @Jocphone said:

You're welcome. Might also want to check out the focusrite sapphire 6i6. Six in and outs plus midi. But it's always worth asking whether a device can do exactly what you think you want achieve and how difficult it is to achieve. Like @Telefunky said, people find the iconnect things a little challenging at times.

The Saffire is firewire, and doesn't have the USB controller ability... I think the one you mentioned will definitely do it, and the one below that, the 2, might also do it, too, I'm looking more into it. I'm not too worried about the iConnect being challenging, as I'm overall very experienced with these kinds of things. THanks, again.

• I think it may be USB also

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849159-Connecting-your-Scarlett-interface-to-an-iPad

But I'm sure you probably have enough faith in the iconnect unit and that it will fulfill your needs.

• @Jocphone said:
    I think it may be USB also

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849159-Connecting-your-Scarlett-interface-to-an-iPad

But I'm sure you probably have enough faith in the iconnect unit and that it will fulfill your needs.

Actually, I already have a Scarlett... I wouldn't be able to use USB midi controllers with it, though, and that's important, so I don't have to replace the ones I already have. But thanks!

• edited June 2017

if you already have midi gear and you're not afraid of matrix setup then the iCA4+ is in fact the best choice, as it allows both audio and midi routing and may even get along without AUM.
    Not that AUM is a bad thing - right the opposite, it's a brilliant piece of software.
    But in a live-setup any additional app that can be avoided should be avoided - it's taxing your device in and introduces additional risks of stability.
    IOS has become much more complex internally than in it's early days.

I highly recommend the 4 channel iCA4+ which comes with all cables - afaik the 'cheaper' iCA2+ does not include the special (expensive) charging cable.
    Additional bonus: if you get the hang on it, you'll probably want a 2nd iPad sooner or later.
    Which the iCA4+ can serve as well, acting as 2 interfaces (a functionality no other product currently on market provides).

• @Telefunky said:
    if you already have midi gear and you're not afraid of matrix setup then the iCA4+ is in fact the best choice, as it allows both audio and midi routing and may even get along without AUM.
    Not that AUM is a bad thing - right the opposite, it's a brilliant piece of software.
    But in a live-setup any additional app that can be avoided should be avoided - it's taxing your device in and introduces additional risks of stability.
    IOS has become much more complex internally than in it's early days.

All good to know. The only thing I'm trying to figure out, now, and haven't been able to, is whether or not I can use a USB controller in the AUDIO+2 model. It appears I can't. I'm still going to pick up Audiobus, too, as it will certainly be useful.

• imho the Audio2+ is crippleware throughout... bad price/performance ratio >:)

• You can use a USB powered hub and connect as many USB devices you want. I have a Scarlett 2i2, 2x usb controllers, one USB to midi cable that goes into a 4x MIDI thru box. Plug one cable into the ipad and everything is up and running.
    I highly recommend AUM. You can make a template save file with all your midi mappings and audio routings and use that as a starting point. Host everything in AUM with Modstep feeding midi into it.

• @LemurFlight said:
    You can use a USB powered hub and connect as many USB devices you want. I have a Scarlett 2i2, 2x usb controllers, one USB to midi cable that goes into a 4x MIDI thru box. Plug one cable into the ipad and everything is up and running.
    I highly recommend AUM. You can make a template save file with all your midi mappings and audio routings and use that as a starting point. Host everything in AUM with Modstep feeding midi into it.

What hub do you use?

I'm probably not going to go that route, because my ultimate plan, when choosing to record is to just send all of these (my hw synths and the ipad synths) directly to my Scarlett and to the PC, so I need to have a completely different setup for the iPad synths that leave the Scarlett available for that when I need to use it. Plus, the Scarlett setup wouldn't allow me to charge the iPad while using it, which is crucial. But thanks!

• I think that you can charge the ipad with the latest Lightning to USB adapter. I'm using an old generic Sandstrom usb 7x hub that has been working well. .

• Using AUM as your mixer is a pretty good solution. I have a presonos audiobox itwo that i totally recommend which the iPad connects to digitally.

• @raindro said:
    Using AUM as your mixer is a pretty good solution. I have a presonos audiobox itwo that i totally recommend which the iPad connects to digitally.

I looked into the ITwo, but I wouldn't be able to use USB midi in with it. Thanks.

• @LemurFlight said:
    I think that you can charge the ipad with the latest Lightning to USB adapter. I'm using an old generic Sandstrom usb 7x hub that has been working well. .

The USB on the Scarlett is data only, so it wouldn't be providing a charge. Thank. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the IconnectAUDIO+4.

• I'm not saying that you should be using the Scarlett. You could use any interface you like.

I just mentioned that an USB powered hub would give you the flexibility to connect multiple class compliant USB devices to the ipad. Many people around here use that. The new Lightning to USB adapter has an extra port where you can plug your charger besides the USB cable.

• @LemurFlight said:
    I'm not saying that you should be using the Scarlett. You could use any interface you like.

I just mentioned that an USB powered hub would give you the flexibility to connect multiple class compliant USB devices to the ipad. Many people around here use that. The new Lightning to USB adapter has an extra port where you can plug your charger besides the USB cable.

Right... I got that. The interface I'm getting has that capability. I already have a small hub, so I can hook up more than one. Thanks.