Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Viking Synth presets in AB3?

Can someone help me figure out how to access the presets in Viking synth while in AB3, thanks

Comments

• You can't, so far in AB3 you can only access presets if they are built into the AU gui

• Most other developers seem to have gotten fed up waiting for Apple to sort out AUv3 preset handling. So I guess it would not hurt to get in touch with Blamsoft to see if they have any plans to fix this...

• @Carnbot said:
    You can't, so far in AB3 you can only access presets if they are built into the AU gui

Ok thanks good to know! I was wondering, I checked Vikings description on the app store just now and presets currently work only in Garageband and AUM. will not work with Cubasis, MTS and apparently MultitrackDaw also. Perhaps updates are in the works
    Thanks for responding

• @Samu said:
    Most other developers seem to have gotten fed up waiting for Apple to sort out AUv3 preset handling. So I guess it would not hurt to get in touch with Blamsoft to see if they have any plans to fix this...

Ouch that doesn't sound so promising. This was the first time me checking out Viking in AB3 and thump there went my enthusiasm. I'm too shy to impose on a developer, someone with more clout will have to bang on their door :)

• @Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:
    Most other developers seem to have gotten fed up waiting for Apple to sort out AUv3 preset handling. So I guess it would not hurt to get in touch with Blamsoft to see if they have any plans to fix this...

Ouch that doesn't sound so promising. This was the first time me checking out Viking in AB3 and thump there went my enthusiasm. I'm too shy to impose on a developer, someone with more clout will have to bang on their door :)

Tried some time ago but got no reply at all... :(

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

Oh no that's not good at all

• @Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

I know, the lastest 'blog post' on Blamsoft's site is from August 2014...

Maybe someone else could try getting in touch with them too?
    The mail address is on the social page.
    http://blamsoft.com/social/

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

I know, the lastest 'blog post' on Blamsoft's site is from August 2014...

Maybe someone else could try getting in touch with them too?
    The mail address is on the social page.
    http://blamsoft.com/social/

I just sent them a friendly email.... :)

• Just received this message from Blamsoft

• Has any of the beta testers tried this in bm3? One of my fave synths. Luv to use it there.

• edited June 2017

@Arpseechord said:

Just received this message from Blamsoft

While it's nice that GarageBand and AUM can load and save presets for AUs, and other AU hosts probably should have this ( @Samu does BM3 have this?), it doesn't solve the problem of using AU presets across different AU hosts.

So it's nice to see that the leading AUs are implementing their own preset managers. This is especially useful when an AU also has a standalone app mode that can be used for creating presets using the full screen. Shining examples are KQ MiniSynth, Phasemaker, Redshrike, and Ripplemaker1 (I think Troublemaker may be getting a backport of this feature from Ripplemaker).

Thanks @RyoutaKira, @brambos, and iceGear!

1. There may be others, these are just the ones I have. Perhaps we sould start keeping track of which AUs have presets in their AU UI and get @philowerx to add tags to his very thorough list https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19301/updated-ios-auv3-list ;↩︎

• edited June 2017

@srcer said:

@Arpseechord said:

Just received this message from Blamsoft

While it's nice that GarageBand and AUM can load and save presets for AUs, and other AU hosts probably should have this ( @Samu does BM3 have this?), it doesn't solve the problem of using AU presets across different AU hosts.

So it's nice to see that the leading AUs are implementing their own preset managers. This is especially useful when an AU also has a standalone app mode that can be used for creating presets using the full screen. Shining examples are KQ MiniSynth, Phasemaker, Redshrike, and Ripplemaker[^1] (I think Troublemaker may be getting a backport of this feature from Ripplemaker).

Thanks Ryouta Kira, @brambos, and iceGear!

[^1]: There may be others, these are just the ones I have. Perhaps we sould start keeping track of which AUs have presets in their AU UI and get @philowerx to add tags to his very thorough list https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19301/updated-ios-auv3-list

Sounds like a noble cause. I wish I had more time. I spent thousands of hours mapping out IAA app functionality and committing it to spreadsheets before AB joined the IAA pipeline and for 6 months after. I had broken my neck and fractured my skull so I had a ton of time on my hands. If people send me the info I'll do my best to add to the list, here's the latest:

2017.06.16 iOS Audio Unit Extension (AUv3)

AU HOST
    AudioBus 3 (AudioBus Pty Ltd) *instruments & effects •universal
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio (Davy Wenzler) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    AUM (Kymatica) *instruments & effects •universal
    Auria (WaveMachine Labs, Inc.) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Auria LE (WaveMachine Labs, Inc.) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Auria Pro (WaveMachine Labs, Inc.) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Cubasis (Steinberg) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Cubasis 2 (Steinberg) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Ferrite Recording Studio (Wooji Juice Ltd) *effects only •universal
    GarageBand (Apple) *instruments & effects •universal
    Helio Workstation (Peter Rudenko) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    midiSTEPs (Arthur Kerns) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    modstep (AppBC) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    MultiTrackStudio (Giel Bremmers) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    n-Track Studio MultiTrack Recorder (n-Track) *instruments & effects •universal
    Orsilus (Jamaine Obeng) *instruments & effects •iPad only
    Quantiloop - Live Quantizing Looper) *effects only •universal
    TIZE (Tize Music, Inc.) *effects only •universal
    Twisted Wave Audio Editor (Twisted Wave) *effects only •universal
    Twisted Wave Recorder (Twisted Wave) *effects only •universal
    zMors Modular (mobile only) *instruments & effects •universal

INSTRUMENT PLUGINS
    Addictive Pro (VirSyn) •iPad only
    Baervaag - FM Synthesizer (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    BASSalicious (MIDIculous LLC) •iPad only
    BeatHawk (UVItouch) •universal
    Colossus Piano (Christian Shoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte) •universal
    CMP Grand Piano (Christian Shoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte) •universal
    Deep Synth : FM Synthesizer (Aleksander Mlazev) •universal
    Enkl monophonic synth (Klevgränd produkter AB) •iPad only
    FM Essentials (Yamaha) •universal
    Heavy Brass (Crudebyte) •iPad only
    Hyperion Synthesizer (Aleksander Mlazev) •universal
    iCathedral Organ (Christian Shoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte) •iPad only
    iDensity (apeSoft) •universal
    iSEM (Arturia) •iPad only
    iSymphonic Orchestra (Christian Shoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte)•universal
    iVCS3 (apeSoft) •universal
    Jussi - Vocal Synthesizer (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    KQ MiniSynth (Ryouta Kira) •universal
    Laplace Resonator Synthesizer (iceWorks, Inc.) •universal
    mood (apeSoft) •universal
    NS1 (Nikolozi Pty Ltd) •iPad only
    Oriental Strings (Christian Shoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte) •universal
    Pads - Lush Pad Synth (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    Phasemaker (Bram Bos) •universal
    Phonem (Wolfgang Palm PPG) •iPad only
    Poison-202 Vintage MIDI Synthesizer (Dmitrij Pavlov) •universal
    Reshrike Synthesizer (iceWorks, Inc.) •universal
    ReSlice (VirSyn) •universal
    Ripplemaker (Bram Bos) •universal
    Ruismaker (Bram Bos) •universal
    Ruismaker FM (Bram Bos) •universal
    Sensual Sax (Embertone) •universal
    SwarPlug (Swar Systems) •iPad only
    Syndt - Polyphonic Synthesizer (Klevgränd produkter AB) •iPad only
    Tines - Electric Piano (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    Troublemaker (Bram Bos) •universal
    Turbosounds for Accordian (Reinhard Rieder) •universal
    Viking Synth (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    WaveGenerator (Wolfgang Palm PPG) •iPad only
    WaveMapper (Wolfgang Palm PPG) •iPad only

EFFECT PLUGINS
    6144 equalizer by DDMF (Christian Siedschlag) •universal
    Alien Box (Aleksandar Mlazev) •universal
    apeDelay (apeSoft) •universal
    apeFilter (apeSoft) •universal
    AudioEffX (VirSyn) •universal
    AudioMaster (Future Moments) •universal
    AudioMaster Pro (Future Moments) •universal
    AudioReverb (VirSyn) •universal
    BandShift (VirSyn) •universal
    Buttercup Bitcrush (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    Cactus Chorus (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    Dahlia Delay (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    DC-9 Overdrive (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    Envelope AU Reverb by DDMF (Christian Siedschlag) •universal
    Esspresso de-esser (Klevgränd produkter AB) •iPad only
    F-16 Filter (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    frekvens (Erik Sigth) •universal
    FuxEQ (mattoncino software) •universal
    Haaze- Stereo Tool (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    Harmonizer audio effect (Aleksander Mlazev) •universal
    Harmony Eight (VirSyn) •universal
    iDensity (apeSoft) •universal
    iVCS3 (apeSoft) •universal
    Korvpressor - smart dynamic hotdog device (Klevgränd Produktion AB) •iPad only
    Limiter - Audio Processor (Amazing Noises) •universal
    Lofionic Duplicat Delay (Chris Rivers) •iPad only
    Lofionic Mani Chorus (Chris Rivers) •iPad only
    MicSwap: Microphone Emulator & Recorder (Future Moments) •universal
    MicSwap Pro: Microphone Emulator & Recorder (Future Moments) •universal
    NoLimits Audio Unit Limiter by DDMF (Christian Siedschlag) •universal
    NYCommpressor (Christian Siedschlag) •universal
    Phlox Phaser (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    PressIt multiband compressor (Klevgränd produkter AB) •iPad only
    Remaster (Audioforge Labs Inc.) •universal
    Resampler (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    Resonator (Aleksander Mlazev) •universal
    Reverb - Feedback Delay Network (Amazing Noises) •universal
    RF-1 (Kai Aras) •universal
    RP-1 (Kai Aras) •universal
    Saffron Saturator (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    Shaper : smart audio destroyer (K-Devices) •iPad only
    SquashIt multiband distortion (Klevgränd produkter AB) •universal
    Svep phaser, flanger, chorus (Klevgränd produkter AB) •iPad only
    Tiger-lily Tremelo (Flora Creative Ltd.) •universal
    ToneBridge Guitar Effects (Ultimate Guitar) •universal
    Voice Rack: FX (TC-Helicon) •universal
    Warm Distortion (Aleksander Mlazev) •universal
    Zero Chorus (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    Zero Reverb (Blamsoft, Inc.) •universal
    zMors EQ (mobile only) •universal

Audio Unit extension requires iPad Mini 2, iPad 4, iPad Pro, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 6 or newer model and iOS 9, 10 or 11.

Did I miss anything?

• Thanks philowerx for this extensive list, much appreciated!

• @Arpseechord said:
    Thanks philowerx for this extensive list, much appreciated!

You're welcome. Happy you find it useful.

• I do NOT agree with Blamsofts response as they seem to ignore how presets on iOS works in practice. For enabling sharing of presets between hosts the plug-in has to manage the presets!

For now BM3 expects the plug-in to handle it's presets.
    Most new AUv3's already do this too...

• @Samu said:
    I do NOT agree with Blamsofts response as they seem to ignore how presets on iOS works in practice.

In all fairness, they were a very early adopter with Viking (before many current AU hosts even existed) and their response echoes the workflow coming from the original AU specs: preset handling was supposed to be up to the host, AU plugins only had to serve up factory presets upon request.

To be frank, AU presets are the messiest mess in the AUv3 specifications. The sandbox model makes it really hard for plugins to properly handle them and no provisions are made for plugins to offer preset management. Whereas the API seems fully designed for hosts to do it. Except most hosts are refusing to do it and keep pointing at the plugin devs.

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:
    I do NOT agree with Blamsofts response as they seem to ignore how presets on iOS works in practice.

In all fairness, they were a very early adopter with Viking (before many current AU hosts even existed) and their response echoes the workflow coming from the original AU specs: preset handling was supposed to be up to the host, AU plugins only had to serve up factory presets upon request.

To be frank, AU presets are the messiest mess in the AUv3 specifications. The sandbox model makes it really hard for plugins to properly handle them and no provisions are made for plugins to offer preset management. Whereas the API seems fully designed for hosts to do it. Except most hosts are refusing to do it and keep pointing at the plugin devs.

If it was upto the host the handle the presets the presets would be locked to a specific host right?

Who knows maybe the improved document/file handling in iOS11 will make things easier at some point.

I do hope Apple is 'aware' of this 'preset mess'...

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

If it was upto the host the handle the presets the presets would be locked to a specific host right?

My guess? AUv3 was developed for MacOS and iOS at the same time (it's identical across platforms). The architects probably did not have this particular iOS limitation very prominently on their radar when they drafted the 1.0 specs. The fact that we had to wait almost a year for actual documentation on iOS (beyond the WWDC'15 video and buggy sample code) tells me how important iOS was in the bigger picture.

Perhaps they didn't even expect many hosts beside Garageband to be made at all on iOS?

• Another angle on this discussion: I have five auv3 hosts: Garage Band, AUM, Cubasis, mod step and AudioBus 3. All of them can load Viking's presets except AudioBus 3. So I think this is primarily a thing missing in AB3 and not in Viking.

I agree it is better practice now for au instruments to have their own preset system, but Viking was the first au instrument we had and I wouldn't blame them for sticking with the specs.

But AB3 should definitely get support for presets!

• @brambos said:
    The fact that we had to wait almost a year for actual documentation on iOS (beyond the WWDC'15 video and buggy sample code) tells me how important iOS was in the bigger picture.

Perhaps they didn't even expect many hosts beside Garageband to be made at all on iOS?

That may very well be the case!

To be honest I'm looking forward to the Garageband updates.
    The built-in instruments can already be automated but there is no way to edit to recorded automation data :(

If Apple bakes in AUv3 automation and proper preset handling into Garageband it could serve as a good 'testbed' for iOS AUv3 developers!

It really does 'buff' me a bit that the AUv3 implementation is as it is at the moment.
    iOS should provide 'file areas' that every 'sandboxed app/plug-in' can read and write from/to.

iOS11 does indeed look quite tempting in that regard with a new way to handle 'documents'.

• I remember that Sebastian mentioned in conversation (with Brambos?) that although AB3 won't be handling AU presets, it may include the functionality to load factory presets.

Regardless of everyone's opinions/beliefs/visions and whatnot for what an AU should be, as of right now there are a some that are unusable in AB3.

Although I have high future hopes for AU in AB3 (if we ever get a situation where apps can be hidden from AB:R), I currently host everything in AUM. Preset loading is simply necessary, and AUMs midi learn for AU parameters is something I don't know if I could live without!

• edited June 2017

Even in hosts that show the Viking presets, the 'default' implimentation of displaying them can pretty grisly. (Auria just dumps them into a massive list that cuts off the right third of the text. User presets are added to the end of the list. Aum seems to handle it the best of the hosts I have). I feel for the devs, but compared to a synth specific preset management system with folders like in iSem or Mood it seems decidedly primitive.

• Here's what I asked Blamsoft yesterday

• How they responded?

• edited August 2017

@Arpseechord said:

Here's what I asked Blamsoft yesterday

Cubasis already offers access to the factory presets, unless there's something special about Viking I'm not aware of? As far as I know only BM3 and Audiobus 3 don't.

• Cubasis does access Vikings factory presets. I just checked.

• @Arpseechord said:

Here's what I asked Blamsoft yesterday

Isn't it more like AudioBus 3 has to be updated?

• Reposted from Intua message board:

@OscarSouth said
    @brambos I feel that your take on this issue is by far the most level headed and realistic.

As a personal opinion: from my perspective a performer/content creator, resistance against AU presets feels like developer driven agenda against 'the man' and not related to user experience at all.

What sounds worse: recreating your patch a second time or recreating your patch every time?

I currently have printouts of screen grabs from Viking Synth laying around my music development space..

• I know this is a topic for discussion and I do get the desire for preset access in more complex synths. But since AU saves state so flawlessly ( I haven't had a glitch yet) I only start from scratch anyway. Viking is powerful but simple so I don't mind it the way it is.

• I do think all AU synths should have their own preset manager built in as a standard practice. Makes it more like hardware experience from a user point of view and to maintain consistency when using with different hosts.