Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Crossfade between iOS apps

is there a solution out there to cross fade between apps, either in a host like AB3, Modstep, Cubasis or a way to it via IAA.

Also is it possible to assign a MIDI function to this to be assigned to a controller?

Comments

• I have an idea on that. I am about to record a video on a different subject but when I get done, I will test out my idea. If it works, I will shoot a video real quick demoing it.

• Awesome, I look forward to seeing your discoveries @gmslayton

• edited June 2017

Let me know if this is what you had in mind?

• Well that's awesome. I don't have AUM however, just the 3 I mentioned. AB3 would be the most ideal as Ive focused most of my set up experiments around it but I really dont think its possible yet. So big hint AB peeps! Maybe add 2 features to your mixer page: add an A/B selector on each channel with a crossfader and allow midi learn or cc set up to this page.

But modstep I thought i could do this, i don't know too well because it often baffles me, still its a capable replacement for AB3 for what Im currently planning for a show next month.

So @gmslayton, would you be able to work that out?

What would however convince me to fork out for AUM is where you you clicked on the range button, i wondered if you can add another node to that graph to make my own curve or whether i can assign it so it reaches full value at half way. That would make the crossfader solution you set up perfect.

Thank you so much for your reply, i will definitely be subscribing.

• @Calverhall as far as AB3 goes, I have no idea. I can play around with modstep and see what I can come up with.

You can not add another node to the graph but @j_liljedahl might be able to add that feature? Could be interesting.

If you dont mind me asking, what apps are you trying to use and crossfade between? That way I can get a real life idea of what you are trying to achieve.

• AUM is the way to go.

• My experimental set up now with Modstep consists of Patterning, ElasticDrums (with some MIDI from Patterning to ED but thats support for another day), iPulsaret and Gadget. Animoog is a backup extra if CPU allows.

My controllers are the Korg Nano Studio pair.

The way I envisage my performance is to cross fade mix between Gadget sketches which I can jam out and other set pieces to improvise with the Patterning, Elastic Drums and iPularet combo. MIDI map across the Nano Studio's scenes, a few for Gadget and the others. I thought the NanoKontrol Studios jogwheel could be an interesting cross fader.

But without that, this set up might do anyway just using the the channel faders but what prompted me was pondering getting an iRig MIX mixer to essentially DJ between iPad and iPhone.

Rather than buy that, I thought it would be better to do that all in the iPad btween a few apps. I miss crossfaders from my turntable days so It would be nice to work something out with Modstep. If not I may just shell out on AUM, i'm hesitant because of how disapointed I was with Cubasis and the cost of it and how it seems silly when I have AB and MS.

• @Calverhall said:
    Well that's awesome. I don't have AUM however, just the 3 I mentioned. AB3 would be the most ideal as Ive focused most of my set up experiments around it but I really dont think its possible yet. So big hint AB peeps! Maybe add 2 features to your mixer page: add an A/B selector on each channel with a crossfader and allow midi learn or cc set up to this page.

But modstep I thought i could do this, i don't know too well because it often baffles me, still its a capable replacement for AB3 for what Im currently planning for a show next month.

So @gmslayton, would you be able to work that out?

What would however convince me to fork out for AUM is where you you clicked on the range button, i wondered if you can add another node to that graph to make my own curve or whether i can assign it so it reaches full value at half way. That would make the crossfader solution you set up perfect.

Thank you so much for your reply, i will definitely be subscribing.

Aum+modstep is the best combo. And I'm a hardcore user of modstep. Neither Audiobus nor modstep alone can do what you want. And aum has no sequencing ability standalone hence the combo.

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 thats cool,, I would have thought 2 host apps would be messy but I guess you'd only need Modstep to sequence MIDI.

I've hit a wall In Modstep, as ElasticDrums seems to glitch out and isnt as intergrated as the others. Even Gadget has a button on top to go back to Modstep.

Im going to try and replace ElasticDrums with Gadget's Tokyo as a drum synthersizer for Patterning and see how the CPU chews on that.

• Gadget and modstep and Patterning together, Gadget playing sequences from Patterning....

I read such things regularly in is forum, but it still confuses me.

• Would take a bit of set up but you could map a single fader to two volume controls via MIDIFlow. Within MIDIFlow, you'd have to invert the CCs to one of them.

So...
    Hardware MIDI slider -> MidiFlow
    MidiFlow -> No change -> App A volume slider (works like normal)
    MidiFlow -> CC invert -> App B volume slider (sending 0 with the fader sends 127 to the app. Sending 10 on the fader sends 117 to the app, etc).

Involves yet another app but MF is super resource friendly.

• @tja hehe, yeah its all just boffin experiments. The thing is i wish Patterning was a drum synth rather than a sample sequencer so Im trying to work out how to merge it with other apps.

• The inverse midi fader mapping is only half the story. I’d really like to see an equal power crossfade to eliminate the 3db dip at the centre of the fade.

I really hope AB3 or AUM implements a proper midi assignable crossfade tool, ideally with selectable curves. With a looper on one channel it would really aid the performance of live sets with seamless transitions.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@zeropoint said:
    The inverse midi fader mapping is only half the story. I’d really like to see an equal power crossfade to eliminate the 3db dip at the centre of the fade.

I really hope AB3 or AUM implements a proper midi assignable crossfade tool, ideally with selectable curves. With a looper on one channel it would really aid the performance of live sets with seamless transitions.

I wonder if this is worth looking at for a Mozaic script. It's relatively simple to take a midi cc in and turn it into two opposite midi cc streams out, with selectable curves. Those could then be mapped to faders.

But is midi control of faders enough for this operation? Or does it need to be at the audio level? Theoretically, using NRPN, you can get a very fine grained MIDI control, but I think most hosts can only handle standard MIDI cc's at 128 possible values.

• Thanks @wim .

Mmm, yes I’m not sure whether or not there will be sufficient resolution over standard midi’s 128 steps. Also I’m not having much joy finding a formula for the curve, or at least one that I understand. I have Mozaic but to date have only used others ‘ presets...

• @zeropoint said:
    Thanks @wim .

Mmm, yes I’m not sure whether or not there will be sufficient resolution over standard midi’s 128 steps. Also I’m not having much joy finding a formula for the curve, or at least one that I understand. I have Mozaic but to date have only used others ‘ presets...

TranslateCurve is too general then?

• @wim said:
    But is midi control of faders enough for this operation? Or does it need to be at the audio level? Theoretically, using NRPN, you can get a very fine grained MIDI control, but I think most hosts can only handle standard MIDI cc's at 128 possible values.

I think the ApeMatrix manual describes the support of NRPN CC with high resolution. Sounds like the message parts must be sent in correct order(?)

• To be honest I don’t know....

First I’d have to understand what the correct curve is for equal power based on a value set of 0 - 127 and then how to use TranslateCurve to implement it.

At your prompting, I’ve had a look at that section in the manual, but I’m afraid I don’t understand how to get sufficient control over the output values to match the curve.

• @bleep said:

I think the ApeMatrix manual describes the support of NRPN CC with high resolution. Sounds like the message parts must be sent in correct order(?)

Yes, you’re right. Thanks....So Ape seems it might make a better host for this .....