Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Gadget Rhythmical Gating Effect Tutorial │ haQ attaQ 228

Dropping another KORG Gadget video and this time, we are automating compressors to create rhytmical gating effects. This type of effect is very cool and can quickly give live to a boring track when used on leads, drums and especially vocals.

CORRECTION EDITED 170619 - 15:01 UTC+1
I was incorrect in calling this type of effect a "Stutter effect". The correct name should be rhytmic gating. Thank you Jason Donelly at the iPad musician group for pointing this out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

haQattaQ

Comments

• @AndyPlankton and @Denzkps huge thanks to the both of you for the Inspiring me to make this episode! =D

• edited June 2017

Do you really need the compressor for this?
    Automating the output level of each Gadget works equally well :)

• @Samu said:
    Automating the output volume of each Gadget works equally well :)

By using the compressor it is a bit smoother as you have the attack/decay controls that you wouldn't have with automating volume.

• @AndyPlankton said:

By using the compressor it is a bit smoother as you have the attack/decay controls that you wouldn't have with automating volume.

In the 'old days' I used to do gating with CC#11(Expression) and control the over all level for the midi-part with CC#7 :)

• edited June 2017

@Samu said:

It's like @AndyPlankton stated above here. When doing it with the volume it can cut out really hard and sometimes you get unwanted clicks and stuff.

I guess I should have said something about it in the episode. :)

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

In the 'old days' I used to do gating with CC#11(Expression) and control the over all level for the midi-part with CC#7 :)

I can't remember the last time I had to consciously think about CC#7 :)

• @jakoB_haQ said:

It's like @AndyPlankton stated above here. When doing it with the volume it can cut out really hardly andany times you get unwanted clicks and stuff.

No worries :)

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I'm having a blast with the 'step modulator' in BM3 and with it's roughness parameter It's perfect for gating :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I can't remember the last time I had to consciously think about CC#7 :)

Haha, that takes me back. I also had CC's I always did the same thing with. Cuttof at 75 and resonance 76. my most important numbers when doing anything weher it was a production or performance.

Today I don't think about it because I'm always locking the Cutoff to modulators like LFO or Envelopes for automation. :)

• @Samu said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

It's like @AndyPlankton stated above here. When doing it with the volume it can cut out really hardly andany times you get unwanted clicks and stuff.

No worries :)

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I'm having a blast with the 'step modulator' in BM3 and with it's roughness parameter It's perfect for gating :)

Yeah you're right. No way is wrong nor right. I like that! =D

• I just had a thought on this....if you use the side chain for the compressor..and feed it from a volume down Miami, you could use your pad mapping to be able to change the rate or shape and then 'play' the stutter from the pads.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I just had a thought on this....if you use the side chain for the compressor..and feed it from a volume down Miami, you could use your pad mapping to be able to change the rate or shape and then 'play' the stutter from the pads.

That is actually a very good idea D:

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I just had a thought on this....if you use the side chain for the compressor..and feed it from a volume down Miami, you could use your pad mapping to be able to change the rate or shape and then 'play' the stutter from the pads.

:)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It definitely works in some respect. It's not exactly a stutter effect but definitely some interesting rhythms. Turning off crossmod and using the square waveshape as the source for the sidechain gives a pretty nice effect. You don't need to adjust volume. Just mute it.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It definitely works in some respect. It's not exactly a stutter effect but definitely some interesting rhythms. Turning off crossmod and using the square waveshape as the source for the sidechain gives a pretty nice effect. You don't need to adjust volume. Just mute it.

thanks for the mute tip :) You could use all manner of input to the sidechain to get differing effects, I've not tried it yet but Dublin with its pulse wave OSC in the lower ranges (if the on/off can be made to go slow enough) ot it's MG's would give great results. I just picked Miami because it has the buttons for shape and timing.
    I have had good (and very bad lol) results from using patterns generated in iWavestation as the sidechain feed, and getting some good rhythmic results.

@5pinlink I had no idea Stepgate and Trancegate were things....boy I must be getting old :D

• @5pinlink said:
    It was stepgate or pattern gate, then REFX released the Vanguard VSTi and the built in stepgate was called 'Trancegate' it has pretty much universally been known as a Trancegate ever since, how there isn't an AUv3 is beyond me, its just a clock and an AD envelope with a 16 on off switches, in Synthedit or Synthmaker it takes me about ten minutes to build one from scratch, so a half decent AUv3 developer could knock one out in about the same amount of time hahaha
    I would pop $5 for that without even thinking, it has so many uses it is un real, a great one that most people never think of is simply doubling a synth track, tune it up a 5th, put the gate on it, awesome rhythmic 5ths

Yes. Hope we see this soon.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

thanks for the mute tip :) You could use all manner of input to the sidechain to get differing effects, I've not tried it yet but Dublin with its pulse wave OSC in the lower ranges (if the on/off can be made to go slow enough) ot it's MG's would give great results. I just picked Miami because it has the buttons for shape and timing.
    I have had good (and very bad lol) results from using patterns generated in iWavestation as the sidechain feed, and getting some good rhythmic results.

@5pinlink I had no idea Stepgate and Trancegate were things....boy I must be getting old :D

Of course there is the ghetto way. Just use a muted London. Kick drum with upto 32nd note res. Draw notes where you want the stutter.

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Of course there is the ghetto way. Just use a muted London. Kick drum with upto 32nd note res. Draw notes where you want the stutter.

This is also true, but with this there is no 'play' with the others you can midi map to controls that will let you change the gating on the fly. :)

All viable methods and with so many uses....building on @5PinLink 5ths suggestion, use 3 tracks...root, 3rd and 5th, different gating on each...halfway to fugue machine ?

• edited June 2017

I was incorrect in calling this type of effect a "Stutter effect". The correct name should be "rhythmic gating". Thank you Jason Donelly at the iPad musician group for pointing this out

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@Samu said:

It's like @AndyPlankton stated above here. When doing it with the volume it can cut out really hard and sometimes you get unwanted clicks and stuff.

Very clever. Using the attack and release as a slew limiter on the gain reduction. That makes sense now, why you could only automate the threshold control, to get the compressor in and out of compression, the same way a loud sound would when it gets above the threshold and triggers the compression. It doesn't conventionally compress ever, with your kinds of all on, all off patterns, because the threshold is always reliably above the sound level of the instrument, or below, regardless of the volume of the sound going in.

It would be a nice refinement of korg to automatically make quick ramps in the automation, to slow down the transitions on steppy automation, just enough so it doesn't click. But this is a good workaround.

• Jacob, here is a tutorial idea: automating FX changes between scenes. This is quite useful for things like Dj filter effects, e.g. Lowpass, high pass, reverb, flanger etc.

I have been doing a bit of this in the sampler instruments like Bilbao and Recife and it's a lot of fun. I think it's even possible to assign FX changes to a midi controller like a trigger button or chaos pad.

• Impressed by the breadth of knowledge on this board. Though for me, the "correct way" to achieve this effect is a road to cliche. (At least to my ears and in my hands.) But I'm really interested in abusing the automation in Gadget. Super-clear and engaging videio, @jakoB_haQ ! Thanks again.

• @Processaurus said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@Samu said:

Very clever. Using the attack and release as a slew limiter on the gain reduction. That makes sense now, why you could only automate the threshold control, to get the compressor in and out of compression, the same way a loud sound would when it gets above the threshold and triggers the compression. It doesn't conventionally compress ever, with your kinds of all on, all off patterns, because the threshold is always reliably above the sound level of the instrument, or below, regardless of the volume of the sound going in.

It would be a nice refinement of korg to automatically make quick ramps in the automation, to slow down the transitions on steppy automation, just enough so it doesn't click. But this is a good workaround.

Precisely! And I second the part with the quick ramp thing. Extremely useful!

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Jacob, here is a tutorial idea: automating FX changes between scenes. This is quite useful for things like Dj filter effects, e.g. Lowpass, high pass, reverb, flanger etc.

I have been doing a bit of this in the sampler instruments like Bilbao and Recife and it's a lot of fun. I think it's even possible to assign FX changes to a midi controller like a trigger button or chaos pad.

I'll experiment a bit and see what I come up with. So far I haven't used Gadget in the manner that you're describing. Thanks for the idea! =D

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Impressed by the breadth of knowledge on this board. Though for me, the "correct way" to achieve this effect is a road to cliche. (At least to my ears and in my hands.) But I'm really interested in abusing the automation in Gadget. Super-clear and engaging videio, @jakoB_haQ ! Thanks again.

My pleasure! =D