Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SOLVED: Mapping Novation Control XL and AUM so I can use Seekbeats and other drum apps??

Hello kind and intelligent Audiobus group,

I'm totally lost. I just exchanged my old mixer for a Novation LaunchControl XL and I really want to love this thing. The faders, knobs and buttons feel great but when I plug it into camera connection kit to iPhone, when I open up AUM and click MIDI control, it only shows transport functions, specifically rewind, toggle play and toggle record. Under the channels section, it says none.

I specifically picked up the launchcontrol to make use of the faders, panning to use on the individual outs for apps such as Seekbeats, Patterning, Loopy, etc.

Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to create some special mapping on desktop first before using it on ios?

Thanks in advance!
GJ

Comments

• Have you created some channels first? I'm at work so I'm looking on my iPhone without my Launchcontrol XL but I opened up a session and see all the channels with various options- volume, mute, solo, etc.

• @gjcyrus said:
    Hello kind and intelligent Audiobus group,

I'm totally lost. I just exchanged my old mixer for a Novation LaunchControl XL and I really want to love this thing. The faders, knobs and buttons feel great but when I plug it into camera connection kit to iPhone, when I open up AUM and click MIDI control, it only shows transport functions, specifically rewind, toggle play and toggle record. Under the channels section, it says none.

I specifically picked up the launchcontrol to make use of the faders, panning to use on the individual outs for apps such as Seekbeats, Patterning, Loopy, etc.

Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to create some special mapping on desktop first before using it on ios?

Thanks in advance!
    GJ

Create the channels first. You can't midi learn that which doesn't exist yet D:

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 DOH! (Homer Simpson voice) Thanks man! Much appreciated! Yep, that did the trick!

Aghhh.. Too excited, can't wait to get this car fixed up and ready to drive!

• I sometimes hesitate to offer the obvious solution but I've been Homer Simpson too more than I let on.

Good luck hitting the freeway! The LCXL is a fine piece of fun! I'm considering getting the Launch Control for even more knob twisting! I HATE touchscreen knobs.

• Ok, simple question guys. Once I've got my mapping down, is there a way to save this mapping so I can recall it for future use? I know i can save a session, but does that automatically save the mapping or is there something else I have to do? Additionally, ability to export the mapping should I want to use this on another ios device with AUM?

Thanks in advance!

• edited June 2017

@gjcyrus said:
    Ok, simple question guys. Once I've got my mapping down, is there a way to save this mapping so I can recall it for future use? I know i can save a session, but does that automatically save the mapping or is there something else I have to do? Additionally, ability to export the mapping should I want to use this on another ios device with AUM?

Thanks in advance!

Save a session. Just reload it whenever you want the mapping. And save the project as another name later. Not sure about export. Will have to check.
    I have an init preset in AUM I load when I use my launchcontrol. Other times I just map as I go.

• There is a desktop editor you can save mappings with.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    There is a desktop editor you can save mappings with.

The 8 user pages are more than enough for IOS imho. He meant if there's a way to recall inside AUM,

• @audiblevideo said:
    Maybe

The XL is the larger sibling of this.

• @gonekrazy3000 posted this to show that potentially all you have to do is set up your "programs" using the computer program and then recall at any date using the buttons to shift pages and viola new setup recalled.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @gonekrazy3000 posted this to show that potentially all you have to do is set up your "programs" using the computer program and then recall at any date using the buttons to shift pages and viola new setup recalled.

Oh I know that. But AUM doesn't have a default midi map. So even if you made a ton of mappings in the controller editor you'd still have to midi learn every time.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @gonekrazy3000 posted this to show that potentially all you have to do is set up your "programs" using the computer program and then recall at any date using the buttons to shift pages and viola new setup recalled.

Oh I know that. But AUM doesn't have a default midi map. So even if you made a ton of mappings in the controller editor you'd still have to midi learn every time.

That's disheartening.

• @audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

That's disheartening.

The mapping is saved when you save the project though, so an easy workaround is making an init project and just loading that.

• That works

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

That's disheartening.

The mapping is saved when you save the project though, so an easy workaround is making an init project and just loading that.

Right. Since the MIDI mapping depends on the available parameters to map, it makes no sense to save/recall mappings separately from the session.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    There is a desktop editor you can save mappings with.

The 8 user pages are more than enough for IOS imho. He meant if there's a way to recall inside AUM,

This is why we desperately need the iOS parameter trees exposed back to macOS - then you could have stataeful recall, especially in LCXL case with Live and XXL script. Also, all the factory templates, excepting 1 and 9, are also user templates. If you have some Sysex skills you can also control the Editor remotely - i.e. Flash a whole user template remotely.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

That's disheartening.

Right. Since the MIDI mapping depends on the available parameters to map, it makes no sense to save/recall mappings separately from the session.

I actually have no problem with it to be honest. Although I'm curious about something. Would it be possible to make Aum load a specific project automatically at launch ? Like how ableton let's you load altered projects as default. This way we could make our own default project and AUM would load it every time. Could be a setting in options.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

That's disheartening.

I actually have no problem with it to be honest. Although I'm curious about something. Would it be possible to make Aum load a specific project automatically at launch ? Like how ableton let's you load altered projects as default. This way we could make our own default project and AUM would load it every time. Could be a setting in options.

Sure, that would be possible. Though I might not want it to load any external apps (IAA or AU plugins) in case one introduces problems. (There's still iOS bugs that in some rare cases make the host freeze forever when trying to load a faulty AUv3 plugin, and IAA zombies add 30 seconds timeout each, etc..)

One option might be to add a "Load default session" button below the already existent "Reload last session" button shown at launch.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@audiblevideo said:

That's disheartening.

Sure, that would be possible. Though I might not want it to load any external apps (IAA or AU plugins) in case one introduces problems. (There's still iOS bugs that in some rare cases make the host freeze forever when trying to load a faulty AUv3 plugin, and IAA zombies add 30 seconds timeout each, etc..)

One option might be to add a "Load default session" button below the already existent "Reload last session" button shown at launch.

I think that should work splendidly as well. And you can set what exactly is the "default session" in settings.