Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 10.5 has 4Gb RAM

This publication usually get the specs right...so I'm much more confident now, that the 10.5 pro has 4GB of RAM...

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/review-10-5-inch-ipad-pro-is-pro-hardware-patiently-waiting-for-pro-software/3/

Comments

• As expected the two new pros are identical. Just screen size and resolution is different

• O.k. I think i finally will order a 10.5" then today and see how i like it. 14 days to decide. I'm not sure if i can/want go back to iPad.
    But i will try :#

• Are the new ones USB 3?

• USB?

On an Apple device? :-O

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Are the new ones USB 3?

Still nothing official but it does look like it according to several sources, like this article
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/05/apple-unveils-649-105-ipad-pro-featuring-20-larger-display-with-promotion-a10x-cpu

• It's worth taking a look at the comparison charts in the ArsTechnica article.

Apple's A-series chips are outperforming a Macbook Pro/Intel combo in a number of benchmarks!
    The future is now.

• I'm a bit unsure about benchmarks across OS different devices, OS, tasks.
    Also these tests are too short to see how long such a small and thin device can handle the load without throtteling.
    Whatever, what i really need is just a self made test with a big track and lots of FX, synths, instruments.
    But if iOS devices are really such powerful......please someone make an awesome reverb for deep space sound design as AUv3 ;)

• @nrgb said:
    It's worth taking a look at the comparison charts in the ArsTechnica article.

Apple's A-series chips are outperforming a Macbook Pro/Intel combo in a number of benchmarks!
    The future is now.

Yep, so if Logic Pro can run on lesser Intel hardware, an iPad version must certainly be within reach.

• @DeVlaeminck said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    Are the new ones USB 3?

Still nothing official but it does look like it according to several sources, like this article
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/05/apple-unveils-649-105-ipad-pro-featuring-20-larger-display-with-promotion-a10x-cpu

Cool - the thread article references USB-A, which I thought was for printers. USB-C would be nice, maybe next time.

• What blows me away is the power of the new A10x Pro chip. Granted, those benchmarks are a bit deceiving since thermal throttling & the lack of real CPU cooling on iDevices would mean those numbers would only be applicable in short bursts. But even so, with what we do with iPad in our community the 2017 Pro's have insane performance for a tablet.

I imagine with proper cooling, fans, heatsinks, etc. the A10x could be the centerpiece to a smoking laptop that could run Pro Tools native with very little bottlenecking, if at all. For us that means Cubasis, Auria Pro, AUM, etc., especially once the Pro is runnning iOS11, will all run clean as Skeeter's peeter jack.

I have seen the 4GB RAM figure for both Pro's on several sites now (if the tear down sites don't already have pics up they will soon). That is what we thought, as if the 2017 vanilla iPad has 2GB and is pretty much an Air 2 with a bit more power anything less than 4GB on both Pro's would've been very lame.

I have seen new, non refurb 2016 9.7 Pro's at $200 less than what they were at release. It's just how this goes with tech so I figure my Air 2 is still kicking just fine, hopefully it will stay that way until November, because I know the sheen of the "new!" will be off the Pro's before we know it too and Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on them will be excellent.

To those who can't wait, let us know what you think over the next few weeks & months.

• @Cib said:
    I'm a bit unsure about benchmarks across OS different devices, OS, tasks.
    Also these tests are too short to see how long such a small and thin device can handle the load without throtteling.
    Whatever, what i really need is just a self made test with a big track and lots of FX, synths, instruments.
    But if iOS devices are really such powerful......please someone make an awesome reverb for deep space sound design as AUv3 ;)

UVI has dipped their toes into iOS/AUv3 maybe they'll consider porting their reverb @BastienCo ?

I also think Waves could be looking at the platform

• BM3 on the new pro :*

• My 10.5 is on the way!

Good times for iOS music and creation!

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    My 10.5 is on the way!

Congrats!!!

• Thanks! I am upgrading from an iPad Air 2, which I've been extremely happy with, and I don't really need a new one, but it was just too tempting.

@realdavidai said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    My 10.5 is on the way!

Congrats!!!

• My 10.5 will be delivered today :smiley:

I'm upgrading from an Air 2

I've made a simple performance test in Gadget with 6 instances of Lexington playing a 3 note chord with preset 1.

Buffer is set to the lowest value (128)

Adding a 7th instance on the Air 2 it all starts to crackle.

I look forward to seeing how many extra instances I can add when it's running on the new 10.5" Pro :smile:

I'll make sure to update y'all here when I know.

• @realdavidai said:

@Cib said:
    I'm a bit unsure about benchmarks across OS different devices, OS, tasks.

UVI has dipped their toes into iOS/AUv3 maybe they'll consider porting their reverb @BastienCo ?

I also think Waves could be looking at the platform

Nothing is planned for UVI SparkVerb in AUv3 at the moment but who knows.. :)
    We will need to do some benchmarks first.

• edited June 2017

I can collect my 256GB iPad Pro 10.5-inch in Space Grey today. After the tortuous process of downloading all my apps again, I will be sure to conduct a stress test with Audiobus and a bazillion apps running at once! That may have to wait until tomorrow, though!

• Suffering from penis envy now after getting a 9.7 inch just a few months back.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    As expected the two new pros are identical. Just screen size and resolution is different

I didn't expect that at all. The big bastard has 4gb ram while the smaller brother only 2.

• @pichi said:
    Suffering from penis envy now after getting a 9.7 inch just a few months back.

It is all in the timing ;)

• edited June 2017

4 gb would be nice, but I rarely end up overloading my Air 2. Am considering one for the extra HD space though. Will never make the mistake of going 64 gb again.

Oh, but I really want that Apple pencil. Hmm..that pretty much means $200 more with that and a case.

• @supadom said:

@pichi said:
    Suffering from penis envy now after getting a 9.7 inch just a few months back.

It is all in the timing ;)

Yes, maybe I did shoot too quick. :#

• @supadom said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    As expected the two new pros are identical. Just screen size and resolution is different

I didn't expect that at all. The big bastard has 4gb ram while the smaller brother only 2.

The new ones have been confirmed to have identical ram and CPU speeds. Do you mean last gen ?

• edited June 2017

@Peter321 said:
    My 10.5 will be delivered today :smiley:

I've made a simple performance test in Gadget with 6 instances of Lexington playing a 3 note chord with preset 1.

I look forward to seeing how many extra instances I can add when it's running on the new 10.5" Pro :smile:

Happy to announce the 10.5" runs 14 lexingtons so, as the benchmarks suggest, it's twice as powerful as the Air 2. I could even add a 15th without crackles, but doing anything on screen made it crackle, so I'd say 14 is the "official" number.

Very happy with the performance boost, and the upgrade in general. The new screen is awesome and the pencil incredible.

Update: my iPad is still installing apps in the background, so I'll try the test again tomorrow when it's "settled down" to see if I can add that 15th instance without crackles :wink:

• edited June 2017

@Peter321 said:

@Peter321 said:
    My 10.5 will be delivered today :smiley:

Happy to announce the 10.5" runs 14 lexingtons so, as the benchmarks suggest, it's twice as powerful as the Air 2. I could even add a 15th without crackles, but doing anything on screen made it crackle, so I'd say 14 is the "official" number.

Very happy with the performance boost, and the upgrade in general. The new screen is awesome and the pencil incredible.

Update: my iPad is still installing apps in the background, so I'll try the test again tomorrow when it's "settled down" to see if I can add that 15th instance without crackles :wink:

And the phrase, "My iPad is fourteen Lexingtons", has just entered the vernacular...

• edited June 2017

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I can collect my 256GB iPad Pro 10.5-inch in Space Grey today. After the tortuous process of downloading all my apps again

I restored a backup from my Air1 to my iPad5, worked awesome, no fuss, no muss.

• edited June 2017

@AudioGus said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I can collect my 256GB iPad Pro 10.5-inch in Space Grey today. After the tortuous process of downloading all my apps again, I will be sure to conduct a stress test with Audiobus and a bazillion apps running at once! That may have to wait until tomorrow, though!

iTunes no longer transfers all your purchases from iPad to Mac in a backup, though, as I understand it. They don't show unless you buy them from the (iPad) App Store on a Mac first before moving them to the iPad. My apps list on the apps screen on my Mac is empty when my iPad Air is connected! Only the documents for each App show in the window beneath. That's why I'm sure I'm going to have to download all the Apps again when I restore the backup. I was checking this out a couple of nights ago, wondering how to get all my iPad Apps into iTunes as part of the backup, but there didn't seem to be a way anymore. Lots of Internet research, no dice.

• edited June 2017

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@AudioGus said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

iTunes no longer transfers all your purchases from iPad to Mac in a backup, though, as I understand it. They don't show unless you buy them from the (iPad) App Store on a Mac first before moving them to the iPad. My apps list on the apps screen on my Mac is empty when my iPad Air is connected! Only the documents for each App show in the window beneath. That's why I'm sure I'm going to have to download all the Apps again when I restore the backup. I was checking this out a couple of nights ago, wondering how to get all my iPad Apps into iTunes as part of the backup, but there didn't seem to be a way anymore. Lots of Internet research, no dice.

It's the main reason i download all apps on my desktop iTunes. Transferring a backup to a new idevice has all my apps installed too. An added benefit is if an app is discontinued I can just back it up on my Dropbox by copy pasting the .Ipa there.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

It's the main reason i download all apps on my desktop iTunes. Transferring a backup to a new idevice has all my apps installed too.

Same here, I do all my device backups locally and download all purchases and keep a local copies.
    When an app has a 'major' updates I keep the previous releases in a separate folders but lately I've been sloppy with that. I see no need to keep iOS4-6 apps around as I no longer have devices to run them on :)