Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

the New iPad Pro... and what to do

edited June 2017 in General App Discussion

Yo folks!
I'm very happy with my 12,9' iPad Pro 128 gig. Previously I used an iPad Air. Going Pro was like a new life.
So what to do now? A new tremendously tremendous machine is out. Stiff price, but that's just Apple. Shall we buy?
I have completely OCD when it comes to computers, so if I just let my primal being loose, I would order it today...
But then there's food, the rent, gas...

Comments

• edited June 2017

Is it reasonable? Is it wise? Do I need a 30 % faster iPad Pro? Of course I do :-)
    So what can I use two iPads Pro's for? I don't want to sell the old Pro.
    Is there a way to use them together, to make music with both... like in one setting.
    Any cardinal geniuses out there? Advice is welcome. Escpecially weird and grandiose ones.
    magical musical regards from dr. KÜHL - norway

• Your iPad has a lot of resale value. Upgrading wouldn't be too painful.

• I think I am likely waiting a couple years for the OS to improve before buying a pro. The future looks absolutely bright and exciting but the horsepower of the latest pro won't help the current issues that make IOS music more like an addictive puzzle game. Who knows, maybe Beatmaker3 will come in, blow my mind and I will trade in my current iPad for a pro, but probably not.

• I'm in the same position as the OP.

I'm perfectly happy with my current iPad Air 2 128 GB, which I've been using for the past couple of years, and I don't really run into too many situations where I feel that I need more power, and I don't technically need any new iPad. I also have an iPad Mini 4.

But screw it. YOLO.

Knowing me, I'll be getting a new iPad Pro soon, 256 GB, but I'm not sure which size yet, either the 10.5 or the 12.9. The 10.5" seems interesting, but I need to see it in person, and then it'll be real easy to decide.

• I love my iPad Air 2 so much, but goodness knows I need more storage (audio galore) and a larger screen (sheet music). Otherwise, I'd probably stick with my Air 2 if it weren't for those things or even update to the budget iPad with 128gb.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I love my iPad Air 2 so much, but goodness knows I need more storage (audio galore) and a larger screen (sheet music). Otherwise, I'd probably stick with my Air 2 if it weren't for those things or even update to the budget iPad with 128gb.

i know the feels. i own an air2 64gb and it just doesn't cut it anymore in terms of storage. size wise i'm pretty happy since i carry it everywhere. that being said the 10.5 is looking extremely tempting. or i might grab the 12.9 pro and use my current air2 for portable use. since i have an Ica4+ i could move all the sample and recording duties to the pro while still using the air2 as a sound module and sketchpad when i'm out and about....

@Khul. you can definitely use 2 pros with the Ica4+ while its not every newbie friendly once you have it set its pretty darn useful. i have it sending 16 channels of audio from my ipad air2 to my pc. will probably instead have it send those 16 channels to a pro once i buy one. not to mention having 2 means you can double any apps that aren't AUx. like running 2 instances of Moog's model 15.....

• I was looking forward to doubling my RAM and match my current storage, while placing myself a few steps further ahead of obselescence moving from my my iPad Air 1 to the budget iPad.

Buuuut ... Now I could quadruple my RAM AND my storage ... that would be verrah, verrah nice.

• I'll already got both 12.9" Pro and an iPad Air2, but, WTF, I'll will buy the new 12.9" with 512GB...
    The life is too short to not buy it...
    But, do I need it? No... But my mind says YES...

• Quite happy with my 12 (256gb), the only real bump seems to be storage and CPU processing . Cant see much pushin my cpu as it is and I dont need more storage, so staying where I am atm. I waited nearly 2 years after launch and the price was 1/2 compared to the original, will prob do something similar. Now if they released a mini pro then that would be a different story

• My iPad Pro 9.7 is brand new... Sad thing for me, as I will need to skip the 10.5 for now.
    I may buy one in the next year, with 512 GB - just to be sure.

Currently, I use about 110 GB and 140 are free - so, size is not a real problem.
    And then I can let the older Pro stay at iOS 10 for my 32 bit Apps.

• So you can do a lot with two iPads together. Control one from the other through Audiobus and Audiobus Remote. Midi connections. Make some noise and put one on the floor to record bass and hang one up higher to record treble. Get a drum machine cranking on one and jam on the other. I have two iPads and I never do any of that stuff but hey, I'm not everybody. I do tend to use my air for reading and sketching ideas and the pro for recording audio and file storage. Then there's the video of the guy strapping one on the front and one on the back and using the cameras to make it seem like you could look right through him. O the possibilities!

• I was close to order the 12.9" yesterday but i didn´t. I thought the 10.5" is great for a mobile powerhouse since i already have a macbook pro for bigger things.
    But then i read about the difference in split screen mode about the 10.5" and 12.9"
    So the 12.9 "f.e. seems the only one which can display 2 apps in iPad size at 50/50 while the smaller ones like the 10.5 just show in iPhone size.
    Does that means that iPad only apps wouldn´t even work on the 10.5" this way?

• Oh, and the 12.9" has to push a lot more pixels. If they really have the same specs, the 10.5" should perform much better. But maybe the 12.9" is bit higher clocked and the gpu is slightly better too?

• as long as you're not about ultra-mobile-compact there's nothing that improves an iPad as much as a 2nd iPad.
    CPU power is just one single factor - and not even the most significant. ;)

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    I'll already got both 12.9" Pro and an iPad Air2, but, WTF, I'll will buy the new 12.9" with 512GB...

The argument of a 19. century robber baron :) or maybe a more recent figure lol
    But I feel you, man! Tax returns are due, this month, in Norway... and that can't be coincidence, but fate!
    So... "No holiday in the sun" for me. Guess I'll buy the new 12,9 256 and a big jar of vitamin D.

;-)

• @juanconcho said:
    So you can do a lot with two iPads together. Control one from the other through Audiobus and Audiobus Remote. Midi connections. Make some noise and put one on the floor to record bass and hang one up higher to record treble. Get a drum machine cranking on one and jam on the other. I have two iPads and I never do any of that stuff but hey, I'm not everybody. I do tend to use my air for reading and sketching ideas and the pro for recording audio and file storage. Then there's the video of the guy strapping one on the front and one on the back and using the cameras to make it seem like you could look right through him. O the possibilities!

Thanx for the advice. I don't want to sell e old one. I have a studio build in the living compartment of a German Wohnwagen, with Mac, Pro Tools, two mixers, a PC, 2 HD monitors, studio speakers, and a Yamaha Tyros 4 as mother keyboard. 6 beds and a cool fridge. A barstool for guitar playing and a mic stand. You can do a lot of cool things if you dare to tear your car up and rebuild it. I use to say I'm the most mobile of the mobile musicians :)

• @Cib said:
    I was close to order the 12.9" yesterday but i didn´t. I thought the 10.5" is great for a mobile powerhouse since i already have a macbook pro for bigger things.
    But then i read about the difference in split screen mode about the 10.5" and 12.9"
    So the 12.9 "f.e. seems the only one which can display 2 apps in iPad size at 50/50 while the smaller ones like the 10.5 just show in iPhone size.
    Does that means that iPad only apps wouldn´t even work on the 10.5" this way?

Yeah. ipad 12.9 with a 50/50 split shows both apps like iPad apps. On the 9.7 (and I assume the 10.5) the apps go into an iPhone UI but bigger (Safari it's the best example of this behavior as well as all apple apps) don't know if it's a rule.

• @Kühl said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    I'll already got both 12.9" Pro and an iPad Air2, but, WTF, I'll will buy the new 12.9" with 512GB...

The argument of a 19. century robber baron :) or maybe a more recent figure lol
    But I feel you, man! Tax returns are due, this month, in Norway... and that can't be coincidence, but fate!
    So... "No holiday in the sun" for me. Guess I'll buy the new 12,9 256 and a big jar of vitamin D.

;-)

The 256GB version of 12.9" seems to be best for the money...
    The 512GB is $250 more expensive, and, we don't know about the future apps that can be delivered with massive downloads (read samplepacks)...

But, I go for 512GB - most safe... And, my vitamins can afford that...

• Ableton Link to make them play together but you'll need a network for Link. If you get evicted for not paying rent you can get hooked up to your local library or get a portable one!

• So are there any music apps with split screen support yet?
    I didn´t heard much about it yet. I mean it´s already possible since months/years(?).
    I think about things like using 2 iPad apps at the same time and maybe a third as slide over to control midi.

• Anyone know which app this is in the new iPad Pro ads?

• @Kühl said:

@juanconcho said:
    So you can do a lot with two iPads together. Control one from the other through Audiobus and Audiobus Remote. Midi connections. Make some noise and put one on the floor to record bass and hang one up higher to record treble. Get a drum machine cranking on one and jam on the other. I have two iPads and I never do any of that stuff but hey, I'm not everybody. I do tend to use my air for reading and sketching ideas and the pro for recording audio and file storage. Then there's the video of the guy strapping one on the front and one on the back and using the cameras to make it seem like you could look right through him. O the possibilities!

Thanx for the advice. I don't want to sell e old one. I have a studio build in the living compartment of a German Wohnwagen, with Mac, Pro Tools, two mixers, a PC, 2 HD monitors, studio speakers, and a Yamaha Tyros 4 as mother keyboard. 6 beds and a cool fridge. A barstool for guitar playing and a mic stand. You can do a lot of cool things if you dare to tear your car up and rebuild it. I use to say I'm the most mobile of the mobile musicians :)

I love that! If I had a caravan like that I'd do something similar.

@Cib said:
    So are there any music apps with split screen support yet?
    I didn´t heard much about it yet. I mean it´s already possible since months/years(?).
    I think about things like using 2 iPad apps at the same time and maybe a third as slide over to control midi.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16097/apps-that-support-split-screen-view#latest

• @skiphunt said:
    Anyone know which app this is in the new iPad Pro ads?

This looks a lot like Obscurium by Sugar Bytes, which would be amazing if true.

• @FlightManual said:

@skiphunt said:

This looks a lot like Obscurium by Sugar Bytes, which would be amazing if true.

I doubt it's Obscurium... more likely a drawing or graphic app since they're using it to show up the Apple pencil. Seems like Apple would credit the dev's apps they use in their ads. I've looked all over and can't find out what this one is. Looks like Shoom on steroids to me. :)

• Looks like names of music genres on the side. Probably just creative BS

• edited June 2017

@skiphunt said:

There are musical styles listed on the right hand side, and moods across the top.
    Looks like a music related infographic or chart of some sort.

• @busker said:

@skiphunt said:

There are musical styles listed on the right hand side, and moods across the top.
    Looks like a music related infographic or chart of some sort.

Maybe it has something to do with new iTunes music, homepod "music enthnocologist" stuff

• Shoot I'm still rocking the iPad4 with 32gb on the last ios9! Talk about restraints.

Finally got a really good paying job though and now I can afford to upgrade! I'd love to have the newest pro just for Lumafusion alone.

Can't wait!

• edited June 2017

I thought for sure I'd upgrade my Air 2 for the 10.5, but now I'm thinking the difference from a 9.7 really isn't significant enough to bother. The performance difference looks decent on paper but in the real world I'm guessing not all that big a deal. I do need more space, though I really don't want to upgrade only for storage space.

Rethinking the 12.9 fat bastard now. At least there's a significant difference in screen real estate. I wonder if the 10.5's are in stores yet?

Any word on how much more ram (if any) is in the new pros?

• @nic_b_nice said:
    Shoot I'm still rocking the iPad4 with 32gb on the last ios9! Talk about restraints.

Finally got a really good paying job though and now I can afford to upgrade! I'd love to have the newest pro just for Lumafusion alone.

Can't wait!

Congrats re the job.