Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Old question: Selection of Synths (or sonic content)

13»

Comments

• @tja said:

@Kühl said:
    Of all my apps, I love Symphony Pro the most. And sometimes Notion.

Symphony Pro Seems similar to Notation Pad.

There is a free version of Notation Pad, maybe you could compare them!

I checked it out. I think it's a big difference. Symphony Pro is really worth the name Pro. It's the most versatile notation app I have. It's super professional:) Notion has the ability to buy sounds, very good samples. I also have the desktop Mac version, which is awesome. The sounds are marvellous, just like hearing a symphony orchestra.
    To exchange files, I use the MusicXML format, or midi.

I mainly write chamber music. I finish most of it in my head and copy it down.
    But my point is that writing notes is the best workflow you can have, even if you dabble with electronic music.
    I'm a big Kraftwerk fan, and the way they use counterpoint and harmony in combination with clean synth sounds, is worthy of being in every book of music history :)

I use mostly iSymphonic when I'm arranging it on iPad. The sound packs are super. I've bought about half of them, one each Friday :)

The picture is from one of my first tries of copying down a piece I had made.

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

Very interesting, thank you!

Symphony Pro seems better than Notion.

iSymphonic Orchestra does not mention support as AU - But in the reviews this is written!
    Could you comment on this?

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

@>; @baldajan said:

Actually, Medly has a "song mode", we just call it loop mode. Hit the loop icon beside the play button to get into it.

I will have a look into that, in case I missed something.

I am confused about what you think about MIDI, though.

From my point of view, the very most Apps do support MIDI!
    There are even lots of App that are defined by using and modifying MIDI, and every hardware needs it to!

Some Apps even would be totally different and even obsolete without MIDI, as Fugue.

MIDI is the one thing that ties everything musical together and the very foundation of AudioBus, IAA and AU - As far as I understand.

You trigger things from your instruments, either physical or an App - you record and work with music, all of that is MIDI.

In restrictIng you just to Audio, in form of WAV or something, you can only work with other Audio Apps and be happy with whatever Audio you got of of that Apps, without the possibility to replay them with a bunch of fully powered Synthesizers or Samplers.

Who would not like to produce the final version with the best quality? For example use Colossus, iGrand or Ivory for the piano parts, in final mixing and mastering?

No. With the In-App music, I see no future to be honest. This is one-way only.
    For those who are content with that, fine.

So, what I try to say is, that I do not think that MIDI is a niche... it is the most important thing to be able to work with music.

I can download all classical music like Bach, or things from Rammstein or the Rolling Stones, import them in some MIDI sequencer, mix them up with IAA or AU or just plain MIDI and recreate those songs in my own way!
    This is real power and what should happen to music!

So, I now know that I do not need to hold Medly in my Archive, hoping and waiting for better times, but can delete it.

Sad thing.

• @tja I'm sorry you feel this way, and I understand that Medly doesn't fill your workflow. And that's completely fine, many other apps exist for this reason. My original point about Medly being placed under "Archive" with other apps that don't see any updates is we continually work hard to update Medly. And we're working on our biggest update yet, one we've been working on for more than a year.

As to MIDI IO being a niche, I know we'll disagree here, but our data shows it's not an essential feature that many people in our userbase would use. When you consider our average user, they don't have any synth hardware where MIDI IO would come in handy. Given we're a small company (2 developers) stretching ourselves to include MIDI IO, when we're being hammered on all fronts, isn't easy.

Don't get me wrong, we do care about our pro users and we'll continue to add pro-level features. AudioBus, IAA, and Ableton Link is just a start. More will come, which I can't talk about at this time.

• @tja said:
    Very interesting, thank you!

Symphony Pro seems better than Notion.

iSymphonic Orchestra does not mention support as AU - But in the reviews this is written!
    Could you comment on this?

ISymphonic has full audio unit support

• @baldajan said:
    @tja I'm sorry you feel this way, and I understand that Medly doesn't fill your workflow.

All is fine ;-)

Don't get me wrong, we do care about our pro users and we'll continue to add pro-level features. AudioBus, IAA, and Ableton Link is just a start. More will come, which I can't talk about at this time.

Yes, with AudioBus and IAA, things look already different.
    Anyway, you can already export MIDI, why not also add Importing MIDI?
    This should be easy to add and allow for lots of more possibilities!

Best wishes!

And as I said, I was a Medly user - Just the Lack of interoperability with other Apps brought me away.

• edited June 2017

@tja said:
    Anyway, you can already export MIDI, why not also add Importing MIDI?

That's a great question and kinda shows why the converse isn't true. Exporting MIDI is an extremely easy task. Now when it comes to importing, it's a whole different beast.

For example, we don't have continuous tracks, but ones split up into sections, what should we do when we import? Should we split it up by 1 bar (at which case you have a large song) or by 4 bars (which gets you a very dense song). And we currently don't have great tools to merge and split sections (they won't be coming in 4.0 - but we have our eyes on building them). There are also octave range considerations too. Since we only support 3 octaves, and each instrument has a different octave range, how should we map the notes? What happens if the imported notes use more than 1 octave? What if the MIDI file is in a different time signature?

The list of issues and problems goes on and on and on... The simplicity we force upon a user becomes a huge pain when trying to import a bulk set of data. We'd probably have to design and build a whole interface for importing MIDI at this time. At the end of the day, if it was easy, we would have done it by now.