Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget Piano Roll Parameter Editing

edited June 2017 in General App Discussion

I'm still relatively new to Gadget, just recently getting it during the last big Korg sale, so forgive me if this is obvious or has been answered before (I searched the forum but came up dry).

In Gadget's piano roll editing of deep parameters it is fairly easy with single note melody lines, etc. But for a drum part like this with many instruments playing on the same beat, each notes edit line/fader/whatever is laid on top of each other.

So to change velocity of a kick hit you have to move the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. fader lines up & down until you suss out which one controls the kick velocity. It can get pretty annoying after awhile when you'd like to just make a minor change of a parameter but if multiple drums, notes in a chord, etc. occupy the same beat you have to do this dance to A) find the parameter you want to adjust & B ) hopefully return the others you DIDN'T want to adjust back to their original positions!

Am I missing something obvious, isn't there a more elegant way to do this type of editing? Again apologies if it's been addressed but it's just maddening sometimes...

Thanks,
JohnRSIV

Comments

• I think the only the only parameter where this stacking happens is velocity. Everything else is either global, or its own parameter lane. The only way I've found to adust velocity with overlapping notes is to go to select mode, select the note(s) I want to adjust, then use the velocity +/- buttons. If there's a better way to do that, I haven't found it.

• edited June 2017

I believe if you look to the left and follow the numbers you will find that sound on that grid number.

I just dislike the pitch editing. Has to be an easier way and a way to zeronour a sound without resetting the whole pattern

• @wim said:
    I think the only the only parameter where this stacking happens is velocity. Everything else is either global, or its own parameter lane. The only way I've found to adust velocity with overlapping notes is to go to select mode, select the note(s) I want to adjust, then use the velocity +/- buttons. If there's a better way to do that, I haven't found it.

Thanks @wim, yeah going through notes individually​ with the +/- via select is probably the way to do velocity. Most of the other parameters are okay using the lanes like you say but velocity is just a pain even with @stormywaterz recommendation​.

I will mess with it all again later, thanks for the help. Overall I like Gadget for what it is, but if it had to be my only DAW-like app I would be pissed a lot of the time, lol. It's awesome for generating ideas and laying down framework to be moved to another DAW.

• @JRSIV said:
    It's awesome for generating ideas and laying down framework to be moved to another DAW.

This - all day long :sunglasses:

• Editing stuff aside (it all works just not as easy as one would like) the only other pain is it's power requirements! I dig Gadget a lot, so please, I'm not shitting on it I swear, this is a well known thing amongst all us who obsess over apps, iPads & music making.

I mean I obviously love the app cause I just had 3 COMPLETE hours whisk by while I sat at the foot of the bed experimenting & building up a groove--thing is I was brought to my senses by the​ low battery warning.

I know Gadget on iOS is universally known as a battery monster (even the latest v.3) but why is that? I mean I could do 3 hours mixing/recording with Auria Pro, with AudioBus running in the background with some other drum or synth app and it would soak the battery for 50-60% of what Gadget just ate.

Not the end of the world, especially now with the new CCK USB 3 version with the charging port if we're using an interface, controller, etc. But just some headphones & nothing else, sitting on the bed, Gadget gets medieval on a battery...

• @JRSIV I fully agree about the extreme battery drain :'(
    In April I send Korg a message through their support form

Got a reply that they'd forward the issue to the dev team.

Guess if more people report it there's a bigger chance they'll look at it.