Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit - iOS App Realeased. - MIDISynth Circuit - By Lee Huddleston

13»

Comments

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Exactly this.

I was actually made to feel like I was the only one having issues and finding the app unintuitive when all I wanted to do was help make the app better for everybody, not just myself.

Shame, as it only needs a few tweaks of some of the GUI stuff which could make a huge improvement for the user experience.

Agree wholeheartedly. Was very disappointing. But, ultimately it's Novation/Isotonik/his app, so...

It's just so frustrating to see so much wasted potential. In my next life I will be a programmer and I will just do it myself, then. :P

• Simple things like, if I tap Setup then tap Patches. Just take me to Patches. Don’t make me press Setup a 2nd time to close it.

Simple simple stuff.

• edited April 2018

@papertiger said:

Agree wholeheartedly. Was very disappointing. But, ultimately it's Novation/Isotonik/his app, so...

It's just so frustrating to see so much wasted potential. In my next life I will be a programmer and I will just do it myself, then. :P

My previous job was as a one man support desk for a popular app on the Shopify platform.

When you know an app inside out, it’s easy to believe that the app is intuitive to all users, new and old, but that’s not always the case.

I learned early on that those customer support tickets were vital feedback, and they helped shaped the app to a better place.

With the MidiSynthCircuit app, it’s really frustrating when the potential is so obvious, the changes needed are small, and the Dev has a number of testers saying the same thing, only trying to help make the app better.

• I'm getting a lot more out of the Circuit since I started treating it as an instrument and realised I needed to practise on it. I've been working on blues scales in chromatic mode and combining that with quick changes using the scale button. It's becoming very addictive. Modal jazz is doable too as it doesn't demand rapid key changes. I set up a patch to do Coltrane's "Impressions". Of course, I'm as crap playing the Circuit as I am playing the piano, but things are levelling up a bit.

• Anybody have a clear understanding of the Store and Store To butto
    I've tried many different permutations but the results are just not clear. I'm finding this as just one example of how unintuitive the app is.

The manual has very little info that doesn't really help and the Dev doesn't believe the app needs videos.

It REALLY does need some videos.

I want to like and USE the app, but it's always a frustrating battle. :(

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody have a clear understanding of the Store and Store To butto
    I've tried many different permutations but the results are just not clear. I'm finding this as just one example of how unintuitive the app is.

The manual has very little info that doesn't really help and the Dev doesn't believe the app needs videos.

That button is a mystery to me too. I don't think the app needs videos - maybe a degree course! :D

• Just heard that the Novation Components Standalone and online editor app has been updated with many improvements.

To quote:

Here it is! The new Circuit Synth Editor on Novation Components.
    After being requested for a really long time, you now have full control over both of your Circuit Synth Engines via the new ‘Editor’ tab on Novation Components.

Control all elements of the synth engines, including: Macros, Oscillators, Filter, Envelopes, LFO, FX, and the full Mod Matrix.

Edit in real time, save to your Circuit and store your new creations in Components.

This update is available for the online web app and the standalone components editor.

https://components.novationmusic.com/circuit/editor

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody have a clear understanding of the Store and Store To butto

It does

I keep emailing about how to do a real video

step by step

Store
    Store to
    Save
    Load

Clarity on this.

I am not sure till this day 100% that I am saving patches correctly.

The highlighted store to or the save or do I type the new name before after....WTF

Yes EDITOR FOR DUMMIES VID would be awesome.

• Ok...first thing...store saves a patch to a save slot within the app...it DOESN’T save it to circuit....you need to use upload to do that....

I think there may be bugs as I tried to do a vid, but it didn’t behave exactly how I expected...

Anyway...

Go to patches and select a patch....change its name.....slot name changes immediately...no need to press store....I didn’t expect this.

Now go to the synth editor and edit the patch.....store buttons turn red to show there are changes....
    Press store, either on synth screen or in patches screen...patch is now saved to its slot.

I currently cannot figure exactly how store to works....i just cannot get it to behave I think it will.

After doing all this...you still have to use the save button to save the patches to a file for recall later....and also use upload buttons to send patches to circuit.

• edited May 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Just heard that the Novation Components Standalone and online editor app has been updated with many improvements.

To quote:

Here it is! The new Circuit Synth Editor on Novation Components.
    After being requested for a really long time, you now have full control over both of your Circuit Synth Engines via the new ‘Editor’ tab on Novation Components.

Control all elements of the synth engines, including: Macros, Oscillators, Filter, Envelopes, LFO, FX, and the full Mod Matrix.

Edit in real time, save to your Circuit and store your new creations in Components.

This update is available for the online web app and the standalone components editor.

https://components.novationmusic.com/circuit/editor

Ooh nice! Thanks for posting.

@AndyPlankton said:
    Ok...first thing...store saves a patch to a save slot within the app...it DOESN’T save it to circuit....you need to use upload to do that....

I think there may be bugs as I tried to do a vid, but it didn’t behave exactly how I expected...

Anyway...

Go to patches and select a patch....change its name.....slot name changes immediately...no need to press store....I didn’t expect this.

Now go to the synth editor and edit the patch.....store buttons turn red to show there are changes....
    Press store, either on synth screen or in patches screen...patch is now saved to its slot.

I currently cannot figure exactly how store to works....i just cannot get it to behave I think it will.

After doing all this...you still have to use the save button to save the patches to a file for recall later....and also use upload buttons to send patches to circuit.

I just find myself spending hours when beta testing trying to understand why things are not working as expected.

A few months ago I spent 4 or 5 full days testing, emailing back and forth with the Dev saying things weren't working as expected and that the app could do with better docs / videos.

Turns out there was a bug with the Store To button.

I swear I spent a whole frustrating day before finding that out.

I understand it must be difficult for the Dev to do the coding and the support aside from Day job, but if you're gonna ignore the advice and feedback of your Beta testers regarding the UI being unintuitive, then progress won't happen.

• The isotonik free version of the editor has been discontinued I’m sure Lee was part of the team there. Maybe not anyhow to quote.
    "So long and thanks for all the fish!!

With the release of Novation's own Circuit Editor via Components, it's time to retire the free version from our site.

We've loved and been proud of being part of the story over the last two years, and especially interacting with some awesome people along the way!

Not only that, through the people who downloaded the Editor we also raised £500.00 for charity too... Not too shabby for a product that had more than 18,000 unique downloads...

We'll continue with our Editor in VST, AU, IOS & Android versions for those looking for an alternative to the official version of course! And we've got no plans to close out Patch Store either!"

• Hi, I've just been pointed to this post so I'll read over the next couple of days and digest. Trying to develop a niche product on iOS is not an easy task - whilst I do my best I'm sure I'll fall short in some people's eyes. As I always say everywhere though, contact me via mail as I don't really operate on forums. If someone tells me there is a problem, I will always investigate it immediately. But, things do affect a single person sometimes, and believe me, I wish it wasn't so - if 10 people have a problem it's usually very easy to fix - if 9 people don't and 1 person does, it's usually very hard to track down. Likewise if 10 people mail me and say this works like shit, it should be different, that's more compelling than 1 person as there is only so much time and I can't please everyone, so I'm sorry if you're the 1/10 but get the other 9/10 to mail me too. Forums don't cut it as I can't realistically follow them all.

@Spookyzoo, are you using a different email address to contact me and for the beta as I can't see anything from this email address in my inbox.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to lots of mails tomorrow detailing all of these issues so I can address them. I cannot possibly fix or address stuff that I'm not aware of - the next beta cycle is currently in progress so if you want to get stuff adjusted then now is your chance.

• @leehu said:
    Hi, I've just been pointed to this post so I'll read over the next couple of days and digest. Trying to develop a niche product on iOS is not an easy task - whilst I do my best I'm sure I'll fall short in some people's eyes. As I always say everywhere though, contact me via mail as I don't really operate on forums. If someone tells me there is a problem, I will always investigate it immediately. But, things do affect a single person sometimes, and believe me, I wish it wasn't so - if 10 people have a problem it's usually very easy to fix - if 9 people don't and 1 person does, it's usually very hard to track down. Likewise if 10 people mail me and say this works like shit, it should be different, that's more compelling than 1 person as there is only so much time and I can't please everyone, so I'm sorry if you're the 1/10 but get the other 9/10 to mail me too. Forums don't cut it as I can't realistically follow them all.

@Spookyzoo, are you using a different email address to contact me and for the beta as I can't see anything from this email address in my inbox.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to lots of mails tomorrow detailing all of these issues so I can address them. I cannot possibly fix or address stuff that I'm not aware of - the next beta cycle is currently in progress so if you want to get stuff adjusted then now is your chance.

Hey Lee, thanks for looking in. Yep I use my Apple ID email for TestFlight.

Hopefully a few others will pitch in with emails and suggestions.

Could we start with the Store To feature? Maybe a quick step guide on how this is supposed to work, as a few here have also mentioned that.

Could you pop your contact email address here for other forum members to get in touch been as you don’t do forums.

Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@leehu said:
    Hi, I've just been pointed to this post so I'll read over the next couple of days and digest. Trying to develop a niche product on iOS is not an easy task - whilst I do my best I'm sure I'll fall short in some people's eyes. As I always say everywhere though, contact me via mail as I don't really operate on forums. If someone tells me there is a problem, I will always investigate it immediately. But, things do affect a single person sometimes, and believe me, I wish it wasn't so - if 10 people have a problem it's usually very easy to fix - if 9 people don't and 1 person does, it's usually very hard to track down. Likewise if 10 people mail me and say this works like shit, it should be different, that's more compelling than 1 person as there is only so much time and I can't please everyone, so I'm sorry if you're the 1/10 but get the other 9/10 to mail me too. Forums don't cut it as I can't realistically follow them all.

Could we start with the Store To feature? Maybe a quick step guide on how this is supposed to work, as a few here have also mentioned that.

Could you pop your contact email address here for other forum members to get in touch been as you don’t do forums.

Cheers.

Yeah agree, store to is not very clear...so I don't know if it doesn't work as expected, or if I am just doing it wrong :)

I must say that when testing in the early days I never had issue with @leehu not taking notice...he did....very much so.
    I think that without this app I wouldn't use Circuit as much as I do...so thanks @leehu for that :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@leehu said:

Cheers.

Yeah agree, store to is not very clear...so I don't know if it doesn't work as expected, or if I am just doing it wrong :)

I must say that when testing in the early days I never had issue with @leehu not taking notice...he did....very much so.
    I think that without this app I wouldn't use Circuit as much as I do...so thanks @leehu for that :)

Just got word back from Lee that Store to is currently not working due to a bug.

Yes Lee has always responded to support emails, thanks, but I would REALLY like to see this app either have a few quick videos on how to use features, or make the UI more intuitive.

It’s very easy when you know an app inside out to assume that the UI is intuitive for all users, but this is an area that I really believe the app could improve on. Or expand the user Manual descriptions.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Ok...first thing...store saves a patch to a save slot within the app...it DOESN’T save it to circuit....you need to use upload to do that....

Anyway...

WHEN I HIT SAVE it says save bank, enter file name?

That is saving the patch?

Where do I change the number to which one I want saved with patches.

Yes, sorry if redundant dumb question

• edited May 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Anyway...

WHEN I HIT SAVE it says save bank, enter file name?

That is saving the patch?

Where do I change the number to which one I want saved with patches.

Yes, sorry if redundant dumb question

No...save is for saving the bank to the iOS device for loading again later.....
    Store is what you need to save a single patch within the bank. (You will need to use save afterwards to save the bank to the iOS device)

To change the number go to the patches screen...and select a different patch.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@leehu said:

Cheers.

Just got word back from Lee that Store to is currently not working due to a bug.

Yes Lee has always responded to support emails, thanks, but I would REALLY like to see this app either have a few quick videos on how to use features, or make the UI more intuitive.

It’s very easy when you know an app inside out to assume that the UI is intuitive for all users, but this is an area that I really believe the app could improve on. Or expand the user Manual descriptions.

Yes I agree, testing is not only about finding bugs but also about checking usability and if stuff makes sense.

• Is see Lee Huddleston intends to launch iOS controller apps for the Digitakt and Digitone later this year very similar to the Circuit app, good news for owners of these models. The desktop version for Digitakt has just dropped.

http://www.sigabort.co/midisynth

• Hello all. The replacement app for MIDISynth-Circuit has dropped, along with some updates.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midisynth-control/id1366849280

Existing users can forward their iTunes receipts to [email protected] to receive codes for the new app.

As people have been vocal here about workflow and not understanding things, please send suggestions/issues to [email protected] as there are some UI changes in store for the next version.

thx

• edited October 2018

Thanks for giving us a three day a trail. Its a very useful app and fills a niche.
    I love my Novation Circuit but I mostly use it as a midi controller but that might be due to the lack of an app like yours.

I did the demo and I am getting to know the interface. Looks good.
    Synth 2 doesnt appear for me. And no ability to do anything with the drums, maybe I havent found it yet. I much prefer not using a PC to make patches. Im happy

• Anyone using the Rand/Morph/Perform add on? If so, what is all about... I can guess the Random (hoping patch generation as I am lazy) but can anyone elaborate on the Morph/Perform please. Is morphing between synth patches available from circuit in stand alone? Cheers

• edited October 2018

@leehu said:
    Hello all. The replacement app for MIDISynth-Circuit has dropped, along with some updates.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midisynth-control/id1366849280

Existing users can forward their iTunes receipts to [email protected] to receive codes for the new app.

As people have been vocal here about workflow and not understanding things, please send suggestions/issues to [email protected] as there are some UI changes in store for the next version.

thx

Since I recently bought a Circuit, I’ve been looking forward to this. Buying now.

UPDATE: Free download with IAPs as shown below. Well worth it.

• edited October 2018

"Synth 2 doesnt appear for me" - not available in demo mode
    "Morph" - morphs values between 2 different patches
    "Perform" - dedicated performance screen pulling together macros/custom controls and XY controls, along with a mixer - there's a trial version of this available, and all documentation is provided.

• This app just been going from strength to strength recently on the beta. Chord mode now inbound under keys!

• There is a hell of a lot being added to this app now great for all you hardware control needs.