Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit - iOS App Realeased. - MIDISynth Circuit - By Lee Huddleston

Comments

• @Aud_iOS said:

@Richtowns said:
    Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be a midi compatible web browser for iOS?
    I would love to run components on an ipad.

Safari for iOS doesn’t support web-midi, until it does, won’t happen. There hasn’t been any indication that it’s forthcoming.

I thought maybe Chrome for iOS might, though.

But I believe it doesn’t.

Which is a shame.

Is it a security lock down type thing?

• @AudioGus said:
    Gave it a go a while ago. Seems useful and well done. If I could get some sort of couch friendly arm/stand for my Circuit I would use it more. Feel a bit guilty that it is not more integrated into my BM3 setup.

This? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-organisers-shelves/rimforsa-tablet-stand-bamboo-art-10282075/

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@Richtowns said:
    Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be a midi compatible web browser for iOS?
    I would love to run components on an ipad.

Safari for iOS doesn’t support web-midi, until it does, won’t happen. There hasn’t been any indication that it’s forthcoming.

I thought maybe Chrome for iOS might, though.

But I believe it doesn’t.

Which is a shame.

Is it a security lock down type thing?

Aren't all iOS browsers basically reworks of the same core 'safari' code?

• @SheffieldBleep said:

@AudioGus said:
    Gave it a go a while ago. Seems useful and well done. If I could get some sort of couch friendly arm/stand for my Circuit I would use it more. Feel a bit guilty that it is not more integrated into my BM3 setup.

This? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-organisers-shelves/rimforsa-tablet-stand-bamboo-art-10282075/

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/isberget-tablet-stand-blue-art-00326334/

• @SheffieldBleep said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@AudioGus said:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/isberget-tablet-stand-blue-art-00326334/

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@supadom said:
    Anyone knows if this allows copying settings between macros? I have a collection of patches that I use but macros are all over the place and I’d to make them uniform across the set. I’ve tried doing it manually with Isotonic editor on my iMac but I always, somehow and up with patch sounding slightly different. Weird.

Maybe check the new patch is using the same waveform?

You should check that not only the macro settings match, but also the mod matrix and synth (for the control being controlled by the macro), any differences in any of these will end up with a slight variation of the sound.

Components now includes a macro visualizer/editor...perhaps give that a go.

Just had another thought on this for checking....
    If you are unassigning a macro in a patch in order to assign it to a different control, then the setting that macro was controlling will go back to the setting on the synth/mod matrix.....with no adjustment from the macro
    So before you try to remap a macro, make sure it is at 0, then adjust the mod matrix and/or synth to get your patch back to where it was before you took the macro away..
    for example if you have a macro controlling Filter freq. and the filter on the synth is set to 0, when you remove the macro, you need to adjust the filter freq. back up to whatever setting was on the macro. The range for the macro/mod matrix also has an effect here too.
    Thinking about it, this is actually more likely what is happening.

This is indeed what was happening. When macro destination is unplugged it goes to the value in the main synth section. I’ve succsfully reassigned macros to all of my bass synth tonight, phew. It was like doing a homework. I’m not particularly keen on Circuit synth engine and find I get ear fatigue very quickly when editing and auditioning sounds in it.

Last night for entertainment purposes I loaded Zeeon on my iPhone 5s and hooked it up directly to circuit’s midi out. Worked a treat with macro knobs assigned via midi learn etc. If Zeeon was automatically tempo synced to circuit I might even think of integrating this into my rig.

• I lay on my back with an ipad on my belly and another on a side table clamped into one of these. Some sort of similar clampy stand that could house a circuit would be great.

• I walk around with mine. The odd squat thrust. Occasional star jump

• Now with support for Apple Files app great news. Hopefully this will make the circuit more standalone along with your iPad.

• I'd love to get a circuit. Passed on it this year for a Seaboard Block.

• I love to get a Seaboard block maybe next year.

• Just bought this and thr IAPs. Does anyone know how to get a purchased Circuit pack from the computer to the app and then onto the Circuit? I've tried using the Files app but all the relevant files are greyed out when I browse to them in the Circuit editor app. I must say it's very promising but hugely mysterious. Crashes a fair bit too.

• I had my own issues with greyed out files on iCloud, but the Dev couldn't replicate my issue so I've not got a perfect system yet and so haven't used the app in a while.

I also tried to tell the Dev that the app is not as intuitive as he believes, but couldn't sway him on that either, which is a shame.

Not sure circuitpacks themselves can be loaded. That may have changed?

A few things that may help.

• Try going to Setup and checking the 'Use iCloud' box.
    • Select Patches.
    • Note the 2 tabs at the top 'Sysex' and Single. You'll need to select sysex if you want to import a bank of patches.

Good luck, let us know if you succeed.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    I had my own issues with greyed out files on iCloud, but the Dev couldn't replicate my issue so I've not got a perfect system yet and so haven't used the app in a while.

I also tried to tell the Dev that the app is not as intuitive as he believes, but couldn't sway him on that either, which is a shame.

Not sure circuitpacks themselves can be loaded. That may have changed?

A few things that may help.

• Try going to Setup and checking the 'Use iCloud' box.
    • Select Patches.
    • Note the 2 tabs at the top 'Sysex' and Single. You'll need to select sysex if you want to import a bank of patches.

Good luck, let us know if you succeed.

Thanks for that, but no joy, I'm afraid. (And you're right about the app not being that intuitive!)

• Anybody successfully using this app with their Circuit?

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody successfully using this app with their Circuit?

I use it, but only for the synth editor..and saving presets..I don't use any of the other functionality it has.

• Is this ever in sale?

• @david_2017 said:
    Is this ever in sale?

That's what I will wait for.

• I must admit that I like the idea of the Circuit more than I actually enjoy the real thing, the lack of a screen really throws me off. Might be time to post mine up for sale on eBay/Gumtree...

• @CRAKROX said:
    I must admit that I like the idea of the Circuit more than I actually enjoy the real thing, the lack of a screen really throws me off. Might be time to post mine up for sale on eBay/Gumtree...

Have you tried this app.....it does open up the synths for proper patch programming and Macro assignment.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@CRAKROX said:
    I must admit that I like the idea of the Circuit more than I actually enjoy the real thing, the lack of a screen really throws me off. Might be time to post mine up for sale on eBay/Gumtree...

Have you tried this app.....it does open up the synths for proper patch programming and Macro assignment.

Hey Andy. What steps do you take to save and upload presets? Sometimes the flow even to do the simple stuff isn’t that straight forward.

• I've gor it working reasonably now - it's invaluable for programming the synths and macros, but the patch/bank import remains baffling to me. Also, the Perform screen crashes every time if I try to select reverb or delay from the mixer screen, which is very irritating. (iPad 2017 11.3 and iPhone SE - same story on both.) But on the whole I'm glad I got it, as it's the only game in town.

• edited April 2018

@SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CRAKROX said:

Hey Andy. What steps do you take to save and upload presets? Sometimes the flow even to do the simple stuff isn’t that straight forward.

Yes it is a tad confusing.....before I do anything I make sure that I've saved my session on Circuit so I can get it back if anything goes wrong. In fact this is what I normally do, I just use the synth editor, then save the session on circuit which saves the patch within the session, but doesn't make it available as a selectable patch for other sessions.

If you do want to save patches then...

In the app go to patches.

Load/Save button saves or loads current patches to a file on the iPad

Store - saves current selected patch (I think this only saves it within the app and does not send to circuit)...use store from the synth editor screen to save current patch to selected slot (Number box to right of store)

Not sure what Store To does...

Upload - sends currently selected patch to the patch slot selected below (default 1) on the circuit...you can also use the UPLOAD button at the top of the synth editor window to send the current patch in the editor screen to the selected slot on the circuit.

Upload all sends all currently loaded patches to circuit - use this when you want to open a previously saved file and send the lot to circuit.

Fetch All gets all current patches from circuit.

If you want to get a single patch from circuit you can use the FETCH button at the top of the Synth Editor window...Not entirely sure which patch you'll get though :D perhaps the one from the selected patch number (box next to fetch)

I haven't found a way to use files created with components with this app. I would also strongly recommend making a backup in components before doing any large scale changes using this app, at least until you are comfortable with how to do what...it is all to easy to lose something you want to keep.

Hope this helps....

• edited April 2018

@CRAKROX said:

Yah, I have been thinking of selling mine too at times. This app was my last attempt at really trying to gel with it.

There is a lot I really like about Circuit but I am such a commute/couch guy now and even as small as it is I find it cumbersome (spoiled by ipads). Headphone jack on the front doesn’t help, haha. If it had internal recording I would likely use it a lot more.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CRAKROX said:

Yes it is a tad confusing.....before I do anything I make sure that I've saved my session on Circuit so I can get it back if anything goes wrong. In fact this is what I normally do, I just use the synth editor, then save the session on circuit which saves the patch within the session, but doesn't make it available as a selectable patch for other sessions.

Store - saves current selected patch (I think this only saves it within the app and does not send to circuit)...use store from the synth editor screen to save current patch to selected slot (Number box to right of store)

Upload - sends currently selected patch to the patch slot selected below (default 1) on the circuit...you can also use the UPLOAD button at the top of the synth editor window to send the current patch in the editor screen to the selected slot on the circuit.

Upload all sends all currently loaded patches to circuit - use this when you want to open a previously saved file and send the lot to circuit.

If you want to get a single patch from circuit you can use the FETCH button at the top of the Synth Editor window...Not entirely sure which patch you'll get though :D perhaps the one from the selected patch number (box next to fetch)

I haven't found a way to use files created with components with this app. I would also strongly recommend making a backup in components before doing any large scale changes using this app, at least until you are comfortable with how to do what...it is all to easy to lose something you want to keep.

Hope this helps....

Cheers Andy. Good to have that info here.

I’ll hopefully do some further testing on the other features next week an report back. It was pretty buggy when I last tested but Dev couldn’t recreate my issues.

• edited April 2018

@SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CRAKROX said:

Hope this helps....

Cheers Andy. Good to have that info here.

I’ll hopefully do some further testing on the other features next week an report back. It was pretty buggy when I last tested but Dev couldn’t recreate my issues.

Cool...Have you got the IAP? I don't, because a report on if the additional functionality for the performance and morphing stuff is worth buying .

I've not really had any issues with it, but I am only using very basic functions of it. I see they have released an android version too.....which could open up the possibility of getting a cheap android tablet (Ssshhh) and using it as a dedicated screen for this app. Not sure if it'd be worthwhile yet as it means buying the app again as well.

• Yeah, it was the saving and loading of patch banks, especially with iCloud that I had issues with. Spent a lot of time beta testing for Lee, but ultimately frustrated that all my efforts to get a workflow together didn’t pan out.

I’ll take another look though.

• @SpookyZoo said:

I had a similar experience with the Dev. While he was responsive, he didn't seem particularly receptive to improving the app, which is too bad. I had high hopes for the editor, but I eventually deleted it as I found it unnecessarily confusing.

I've kept the Circuit around, though, because it's a pretty awesome battery-powered hardware MIDI sequencer. But, since I like to design all my own sounds, tweaking preset parameters is not satisfying at all. On the few occasions I use it I don't even bother plugging audio cables in.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Yeah, it was the saving and loading of patch banks, especially with iCloud that I had issues with. Spent a lot of time beta testing for Lee, but ultimately frustrated that all my efforts to get a workflow together didn’t pan out.

I’ll take another look though.

Circuit and this could so easily be a really smart combination if it worked smoothly.

• edited April 2018

@papertiger said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I had a similar experience with the Dev. While he was responsive, he didn't seem particularly receptive to improving the app, which is too bad. I had high hopes for the editor, but I eventually deleted it as I found it unnecessarily confusing.

I've kept the Circuit around, though, because it's a pretty awesome battery-powered hardware MIDI sequencer. But, since I like to design all my own sounds, tweaking preset parameters is not satisfying at all. On the few occasions I use it I don't even bother plugging audio cables in.

Exactly this.

I was actually made to feel like I was the only one having issues and finding the app unintuitive when all I wanted to do was help make the app better for everybody, not just myself.

Shame, as it only needs a few tweaks of some of the GUI stuff which could make a huge improvement for the user experience.