Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit - iOS App Realeased. - MIDISynth Circuit - By Lee Huddleston

from Facebook...

Lee Huddleston shared a link.
1 hr
Hi all. Happy to announce the availability of the first version of the iPad version of MIDISynth-Circuit. Looks like it's on the US store and should ripple around the world within the next 24 hours. There's a couple of minor issues I found today but nothing to stop the release and these'll be fixed when I'm home in a few days time. Going to enjoy a wedding and a few beers over the weekend, so I'll be a bit unresponsive until Tue of next week.
User Guide: http://sigabort.co/Assets/doc/MIDISynth Circuit Tablet User Guide.pdf

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1230479796

Comments

• Hmmmm, interesting... ... ...hmmm, may dust off the circuit this weekend... wonder how much the iap are...?

• Randomisation & Morphing = £5.99

Performance Features = £9.99
    (This consists of:
    • Access to all 16 macros
    • Access to 16 user-defined control mappings
    • Access to 4 user-defined XY controls
    • Access to Session morphing
    • Custom control morphing

Bundle on the 2 IAPs = £12.99

Not bought these but shelled out £14.99 for the app.

Test driving soon.

• @SpookyZoo Hmmm. Not cheap, but a niche product I guess (to some degree). Very (very) interested to see how you find it Mister Spooky.

• I did beta on this one - will chime in if anything I can answer.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    I did beta on this one - will chime in if anything I can answer.

Well, simply put, any good? Easy? Works? Fun? Impressed? In favor? :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Overall I'd say it's niche and workflow specific. If you want to work with session editing, patches, and use the aspects of the synth otherwise only accessible on a desktop editor, then it's definitely of value. Also, if you're into performance, and you want the morphing/randomization/xy parameter and automation aspects, that's another potential value. I'm more a fan of the former aspect.

A few other aspects that I consider important, that may be lesser-featured.

1. The Show Values option - it's nice to finally see all the parameter values of the sessions, the ranges of Macros and their destinations, all the parameters.
    2. Being able to Copy/Paste Macro Data is really handy for saving and working with more complex Mod Matrix Mappings.

I can't speak to its official functionality - but for me, I can connect the iOS MidiSynth via Lightning-to-USB - and pick up the Circuit. In other words, no need for CCK when at home. Also, I've found a really comfortable workflow, where I throw the iPad screen onto one of my Monitors. It's nice to be working on Synth 1 and 2 at the same time - or using the Delay/Reverb FX pages while still inputting notes on the Circuit.

Since I can see the iPad screen directly above the Circuit on my desk, it's just easier to get a wrangle on editing. I find some aspects of editing just faster on the iPad, the Mod Matrix Mappings, selection of destinations, waveforms, LFO's, and Distortion types - all quicker to audition when you can just tap a drop-down - without the more cumbersome editing/switching between Circuit/Mouse coming into play... if that makes sense.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Overall I'd say it's niche and workflow specific. If you want to work with session editing, patches, and use the aspects of the synth otherwise only accessible on a desktop editor, then it's definitely of value. Also, if you're into performance, and you want the morphing/randomization/xy parameter and automation aspects, that's another potential value. I'm more a fan of the former aspect.

A few other aspects that I consider important, that may be lesser-featured.

1. The Show Values option - it's nice to finally see all the parameter values of the sessions, the ranges of Macros and their destinations, all the parameters.
    2. Being able to Copy/Paste Macro Data is really handy for saving and working with more complex Mod Matrix Mappings.

I can't speak to its official functionality - but for me, I can connect the iOS MidiSynth via Lightning-to-USB - and pick up the Circuit. In other words, no need for CCK when at home. Also, I've found a really comfortable workflow, where I throw the iPad screen onto one of my Monitors. It's nice to be working on Synth 1 and 2 at the same time - or using the Delay/Reverb FX pages while still inputting notes on the Circuit.

Since I can see the iPad screen directly above the Circuit on my desk, it's just easier to get a wrangle on editing. I find some aspects of editing just faster on the iPad, the Mod Matrix Mappings, selection of destinations, waveforms, LFO's, and Distortion types - all quicker to audition when you can just tap a drop-down - without the more cumbersome editing/switching between Circuit/Mouse coming into play... if that makes sense.

I appreciate your thoughtful response. I haven't had the Circuit long (Xmas), but have been through what I'm sure is a typical parabola of 'Hey! Cool!' to 'Must get that out again before I forget the little I learned....' I do think it's a very good box, especially as regards focusing within the limitations (as opposed to swimming in the 1000-app sea), but I also -contrary bugger that I am- very quickly wanted an editor on my iPad and so am pleased to see this pop up. I'm sure it's not the whole barrel of biscuits, but it sounds as though there's some productive fun to be had with it. Thanks again.

• Anyone tried the circuit with a btle dongle like the Wej?

• Doesn't look like it has sample uploading.

• Just updated to the new firmware... short notes! Whoot! This is going to get a lot more use now.

• @AudioGus said:
    Just updated to the new firmware... short notes! Whoot! This is going to get a lot more use now.

How 'old' is the new firmware...had it been awhile for you etc? Hmm. Apologies. Sounds like weird sci-fi sex doctor questions....

• @AudioGus said:
    Just updated to the new firmware... short notes! Whoot! This is going to get a lot more use now.

I am worried if updating affects saved sessions. Did you noticed anything wrong?

As for the editor it looks beautiful .

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

How 'old' is the new firmware...had it been awhile for you etc? Hmm. Apologies. Sounds like weird sci-fi sex doctor questions....

It is pretty new, just a week old or so. Note length can now be much shorter which actually was my biggest issue with Circuit initialy.

• @Korakios said:

@AudioGus said:

I am worried if updating affects saved sessions. Did you noticed anything wrong?

All of my previously saved sessions seem completely fine. I did not restore any from the components site though but am pretty sure it is ok as no one has said anything on circuit owners facebook page.

• edited June 2017

@AudioGus said:

@Korakios said:

@AudioGus said:

All of my previously saved sessions seem completely fine. I did not restore any from the components site though but am pretty sure it is ok as no one has said anything on circuit owners facebook page.

Thanks! I only have few sessions stored in Circuit (as usual I jam and never save anything!) and never used the components sh*t .

• @AudioGus said:
    Doesn't look like it has sample uploading.

Can't be done without some Novation help, apparently.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@AudioGus said:
    Doesn't look like it has sample uploading.

Can't be done without some Novation help, apparently.

Sounds like some preventative crippling by the Mothership (albeit by simple omission)...

• MidiSynth Citcuit just got a price drop.A more resonable 12.99 $€£
    I thought from my initial read of their description this would let you upload samples but its a bit vague. Uploading individual samples would get me on board but I think the way the circuit is designed requires all samples to be compilled together and then uploaded through a weird bootloader process. They dont show this process using MidiSynth Circuit for iOS so I imagine it isnt so simple as in components.
    For now I think Ill patiently wait for a midi capable browser on iOS to use components.

• Just got myself a circuit so strongly considering this - any users of Midi Synth Circuit on here?

• edited November 2017

Yep. I have it.

It’s pretty good.

Never tried using it to push samples to the Circuit, but I believe it would need to be a whole set of samples wrapped as a sysex file.

The dev is responsive. And updated it recently.

Seems like there’s an issue at the moment with naming / renaming patches. But it might be my user error.

I like it because I’d rather edit and create patches with my iPad than my laptop.

• Thanks for that Matt_Fletcher_2000. Same reason I want it - prefer to use ipad than laptop. Convinced me to purchase

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Yep. I have it.

It’s pretty good.

Never tried using it to push samples to the Circuit, but I believe it would need to be a whole set of samples wrapped as a sysex file.

The dev is responsive. And updated it recently.

Seems like there’s an issue at the moment with naming / renaming patches. But it might be my user error.

I like it because I’d rather edit and create patches with my iPad than my laptop.

+1 The Synth editor is really nice to have and worth the money alone, and yes it seems that sample transfer is limited to pre-packaged sample sets that you would still need to use Components to build.

Point to note.....I think this has now been listed on the Isotonik site....and they have a black friday sale tomorrow, maybe this price drop is because of that, but it is due to start midnight, or there may be further savings tomorrow.

• @AndyPlankton said:

Point to note.....I think this has now been listed on the Isotonik site....and they have a black friday sale tomorrow, maybe this price drop is because of that, but it is due to start midnight, or there may be further savings tomorrow.

Thanks mate

• Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be a midi compatible web browser for iOS?
    I would love to run components on an ipad.

• Anyone knows if this allows copying settings between macros? I have a collection of patches that I use but macros are all over the place and I’d to make them uniform across the set. I’ve tried doing it manually with Isotonic editor on my iMac but I always, somehow and up with patch sounding slightly different. Weird.

• @supadom said:
    Anyone knows if this allows copying settings between macros? I have a collection of patches that I use but macros are all over the place and I’d to make them uniform across the set. I’ve tried doing it manually with Isotonic editor on my iMac but I always, somehow and up with patch sounding slightly different. Weird.

Maybe check the new patch is using the same waveform?

• @Aud_iOS said:

@supadom said:
    Anyone knows if this allows copying settings between macros? I have a collection of patches that I use but macros are all over the place and I’d to make them uniform across the set. I’ve tried doing it manually with Isotonic editor on my iMac but I always, somehow and up with patch sounding slightly different. Weird.

You should check that not only the macro settings match, but also the mod matrix and synth (for the control being controlled by the macro), any differences in any of these will end up with a slight variation of the sound.

Components now includes a macro visualizer/editor...perhaps give that a go.

• Gave it a go a while ago. Seems useful and well done. If I could get some sort of couch friendly arm/stand for my Circuit I would use it more. Feel a bit guilty that it is not more integrated into my BM3 setup.

• edited November 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@supadom said:

You should check that not only the macro settings match, but also the mod matrix and synth (for the control being controlled by the macro), any differences in any of these will end up with a slight variation of the sound.

Components now includes a macro visualizer/editor...perhaps give that a go.

Just had another thought on this for checking....
    If you are unassigning a macro in a patch in order to assign it to a different control, then the setting that macro was controlling will go back to the setting on the synth/mod matrix.....with no adjustment from the macro
    So before you try to remap a macro, make sure it is at 0, then adjust the mod matrix and/or synth to get your patch back to where it was before you took the macro away..
    for example if you have a macro controlling Filter freq. and the filter on the synth is set to 0, when you remove the macro, you need to adjust the filter freq. back up to whatever setting was on the macro. The range for the macro/mod matrix also has an effect here too.
    Thinking about it, this is actually more likely what is happening.

• @Richtowns said:
    Does anyone know how likely it is that there will be a midi compatible web browser for iOS?
    I would love to run components on an ipad.

Safari for iOS doesn’t support web-midi, until it does, won’t happen. There hasn’t been any indication that it’s forthcoming.