Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter: can I attach a headphone and midi keyboard?

If I bought the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter for my iPhone 7 Plus, would I be able to use use the Lightning to headphone jack adapter in the female lightning slot, a midi keyboard in the USB slot, and then plug the male lightning end into my phone and have everything work?

Comments

• edited June 2017

Not sure but I think the lightning side is only for charge... but try! Maybe I'm wrong since the lightning is digital (has a dedicated ic managing the pins) and plugging the headphone adapter makes the magic happens :wink:

If not, you will need to go for the hub + audio interface route...

• If the lightning side is just for charging, and is currently charging, will the USB side still need a powered hub, or will a passive hub be sufficient since it is getting power from the lightning side?

• I'm waiting for mine, but I think it should power both the iPad and hub.

• Are there any caveats about using it with an iPhone?

• I plugged the mini headphone adapter into the USB adapter going into my iPhone 7plus and my phone announced that "This accessory is not supported by this device." The USB adapter works with a portable keyboard (didn't test it with my full 88 key keyboard) and I use Bluetooth speakers to pair with the phone.

Hope this helps.

Scarlet Jerry

• edited June 2017

The lightening port on the cck3 is for charging only. Pretty much everything else gives the error "accessory not supported". An alternative however..... Is use a usb hub and connect a keyboard and USB interface. Or. Use a Bluetooth keyboard.

• It will not power the hub just data it's kinda misleading

• Hmmm does anyone know of a small device/adapter/cable that has a headphone in and a USB in at the same time on a tiny device?

• I've sold my first gen USB Camera adapter when I got the second gen.
    But it struck me after that I could daisychain them.

Can anyone try that?
    Plug CCK1 into CCK2 and basically have 2 usb ports on the ipad?

Man I really wish someone would make a proper soundcard for the iPad but the same size as the iPad and stick it on the back somehow. 4 mini jacks (audio in / out, midi in/out) and couple of USBs...

• @Shazamm said:
    It will not power the hub just data it's kinda misleading

Actually it does power the hub. It's how I connect my launchpad pro and my 2 k-boards. The launchpad pro does not power on without a power adapter or battery bank connected to the cck3's lightening port. It gives the error "device needs too much power" otherwise.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shazamm said:

Actually it does power the hub. It's how I connect my launchpad pro and my 2 k-boards. The launchpad pro does not power on without a power adapter or battery bank connected to the cck3's lightening port. It gives the error "device needs too much power" otherwise.

okay man mine worked with a hub no power so im confused

• edited June 2017

@Shazamm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shazamm said:

okay man mine worked with a hub no power so im confused

Wait. You have a launchpad pro ? Or a normal launchpad ? Cause the smaller ones can even work without an adapter in the cck3.

• Lol small one

• edited June 2017

I and many others have hade different results than you as far as it giving power to that USB port and not just the iOS device

• Is there 2 versions of the 3.0 cck perhaps? A refresh after complaints

• @Shazamm said:
    Is there 2 versions of the 3.0 cck perhaps? A refresh after complaints

From my testing it seems the USB port only gives around 500ma. Luckily for me the launchpad pro seems to consume at max around 400ma. That leaves enough juice for a launch control Xl or 2 k-boards. Any more simultaneous devices and I still need a powered hub. It can say power the novation audiohub even without a power supply attached to the interface. But will not power anything alongside it. Still useful for doing unamped field recordings though. And I got m cck3 at launch. So highly doubt it's a revision.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shazamm said:
    Is there 2 versions of the 3.0 cck perhaps? A refresh after complaints

From my testing it seems the USB port only gives around 500ma. Luckily for me the launchpad pro seems to consume at max around 400ma. That leaves enough juice for a launch control Xl or 2 k-boards. Any more simultaneous devices and I still need a powered hub. It can say power the novation audiohub even without a power supply attached to the interface. But will not power anything alongside it. Still useful for doing unamped field recordings though. And I got m cck3 at launch. So highly doubt it's a revision.

dope

• edited October 2017

Has a solution to the problem been found on how to play a usb keyboard and listening through headphones on the iphobe7/8?
    Starting to seriously regret this so called upgrade decision! :-(
    Bought the Belkin 3.5mm charge adapter as it supports sync but from testing has no usb pass through from the Apple cck.

• @Nu2moro said:
    Has a solution to the problem been found on how to play a usb keyboard and listening through headphones on the iphobe7/8?

CCK + USB hub + USB headphones
    CCK + USB hub with 3.5mm headphone socket
    CCK + USB hub + USB DAC

• I didn’t know usb headphones and adapters existed! On a voyage of discovery with all this technology!

• After the iOS 11 update, my CCK will now power the iPad, plus a USB audio interface, plus a midi pedalboard. The audio interface and the midi pedalboard are plugged into a USB hub, which is plugged into the CCK.

Prior to the official iOS 11 release, I had to power the USB hub separately. No more!

• Can you recommend a usb headphone adapter that works with the usb and iPhone?

• @Nu2moro said:
    Starting to seriously regret this so called upgrade decision! :-(
    Bought the Belkin 3.5mm charge adapter as it supports sync but from testing has no usb pass through from the Apple cck.

Bluetooth MIDI controller.

• @Nu2moro said:
    Can you recommend a usb headphone adapter that works with the usb and iPhone?

I use this one with my iPad:

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3

Haven't tried it with iPhone, but it's class compliant so should work.

• Thanks for all the advice, it’s much appreciated!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

What kind of power bank do you use @gonekrazy3000 ? I'm using my M-Audio M-Track 2x2 successfully on iPad Pro using CCK3 and plugging in the iPad charger into the lightning port of CCK3. The moment I try powering it using a power bank, I get the "not sufficient power" message. My power bank is supposed to provide 5V 2.0A on the USB output port...

• @Sasholino said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

What kind of power bank do you use @gonekrazy3000 ? I'm using my M-Audio M-Track 2x2 successfully on iPad Pro using CCK3 and plugging in the iPad charger into the lightning port of CCK3. The moment I try powering it using a power bank, I get the "not sufficient power" message. My power bank is supposed to provide 5V 2.0A on the USB output port...

I've tested it using 2 2.1A powerbanks. A Morphie Power station XXL and a generic Chinese brand one.

• @mistercharlie said:
    After the iOS 11 update, my CCK will now power the iPad, plus a USB audio interface, plus a midi pedalboard. The audio interface and the midi pedalboard are plugged into a USB hub, which is plugged into the CCK.

Prior to the official iOS 11 release, I had to power the USB hub separately. No more!

To give some light...

The described workflow is key for non powered (and sometimes powered too) usb hubs.

• First of all you plug the target device (non powered and under 500mAh for cck3 a bit more for previous without charging option) into the CCK.
    • Then you plug the CCK into the iDevice. Never opposite due it will bring an error most of the time.

The same is applicable to powered hubs but usually brings less problems.

For the OT

• Find a cheap class compliant usb to mic/headphones pendrive audio interface.
    • Test it as described above first directly to CCK and check if works.
    • Repeat the process with non powered hub and just the cheap interface. Check.
    • Add another device (keyboard or whatever) and pray to be under 500mAh, if not jump into powered hub.
    • Add a battery pack for the hub if you need mobility. Check it can delivers 2.0/2.1 mAh from one of its outlets to charge iPad alongside powerimg the hub from another (usually 5V as someone pointed but to be sure read on the PSU itself)
    • Party hard.
    • :wink: