Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Calling all 12.9 Ipad users

Hey guys. I'm thinking of grabbing the 12.9 inch pro. was wondering. what are the major issues you guys face when apps aren't "optimized" for the pro ? are the apps blurry or something ? or is the aspect ratio messed up ?

Comments

• Everything looks great on mine.

• @vpich said:
    Everything looks great on mine.

i've seen quite a few posts about issues with it. hence why i wanted more info.

• I'm sure you're aware that they are just about to announce a new model next week according to the rumours.

• No issues whatever.

• It's gorgeous. No complaints.

Of course, If an app is iPhone only it will be tiny. You can scale to 2x and it still doesn't fill the screen. Here's what Animoog for iPhone looks like.

• edited June 2017

Non optimized apps look...fine... it's like zooming on an image beyond its original resolution... apps that are not optimized look zoomed in...stretched out to fit the screen.

Working 100% fine but weird looking...not as sharp as optimized apps.

It bothers me a lot to be honest, not because it looks weird but because of the wasted potential, cubasis it's not optimized for example and it's frustrating seeing this bad looking stretched out app instead of the potentially great UI that could be accomplished on a 13 inch device and that applies to lots of apps...

Also the iPad Pro 12.9 has a great version of the iOS virtual keyboard where everything's there, numbers and letters, and there's some really cool options and functionality only available on it. Not optimized apps have the same keyboard as the regular ipad models only it looks worse.

I've talked about this before in this forum, some people don't care at all (because after all the apps work fine), others (like me) do.

I've emailed some developers about it as well, some dont care about it, some either tried to lie to me or didn't have a clue because they replied saying the app is optimized when it clearly isn't (like the launchpad developers).

• edited June 2017

It's very rare that I come across something that looks bad. But when I do it's typically the effect you'll see from upscaling a JPEG image. Blocky artifacts, slightly blurry text and linework, that sort of thing. But, it really isn't an issue—certainly not one that should be on your radar. The 12.9 has been a dream machine since day one!

Here is an example of what it typically looks like. But keep in mind I've cropped in tight on this so the effect is amplified. The top image is iElectribe Gorillaz Edition (which hasn't been optimized for the larger screen) and the bottom image is from the standard iElectribe (which has been optimized).

• @gonekrazy3000 I've never had a display compromise that wasn't worth the sheer spaciousness of the 12.9 and in truth can't think of a single visual compromise I've really took note of.

The screen real estate of the Big One really is complete iOS Joy.

• @Lacm1993 said:

I've emailed some developers about it as well, some dont care about it, some either tried to lie to me or didn't have a clue because they replied saying the app is optimized when it clearly isn't (like the launchpad developers).

Curious, which Novation app isn't optimized? Launchkey....?

• I've not had any issues with mine either. It's a fantastic computing device, especially for making music. The CPU is never loaded, even running the most demanding apps. The screen is luxurious. As someone else pointed out a new iPad will be released next week, but it will probably be the 10.5". I prefer the larger screen.

• @Brice. so its basically the same as running iphone apps scaled at 2X on the ipad ? then i guess it won't bother me at all. i was just worried the aspect ratio got buggered or something....

@Mark B said:
    I'm sure you're aware that they are just about to announce a new model next week according to the rumours.

Its the 10.5 though isn't it ? i wouldn't be surprised if they still cripple it with just 2gb of ram. I'm definitely waiting till they announce the 10.5. although i'm curious to see if they announce a new 12.9. already own a 9.7 air2 so the 10.5 wouldn't really be much of an upgrade to me space wise :/

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @Brice. so its basically the same as running iphone apps scaled at 2X on the ipad ? then i guess it won't bother me at all. i was just worried the aspect ratio got buggered or something....

No issues with aspect ratio. Here is the full view of the iElectribe apps from my previous post. They both fill the screen proportionally. All good in that regard.

• @Proppa said:
    @gonekrazy3000 I've never had a display compromise that wasn't worth the sheer spaciousness of the 12.9 and in truth can't think of a single visual compromise I've really took note of.

The screen real estate of the Big One really is complete iOS Joy.

My sentiments entirely...

• I'd wait for the WWDC announcement, if there is any. The iPad Pro 2 is supposed to be miles better or so they say. I plan to get one, because I can use it for my sheet music instead of hauling 11 heavy books in three bags.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Hey guys. I'm thinking of grabbing the 12.9 inch pro. was wondering. what are the major issues you guys face when apps aren't "optimized" for the pro ? are the apps blurry or something ? or is the aspect ratio messed up ?

all of mines are with the exception of a few Im beta testing do it go for it

• @brice Where did the Gorillaz edition of iElectribe go anyway?

• @brice said:
    It's very rare that I come across something that looks bad. But when I do it's typically the effect you'll see from upscaling a JPEG image. Blocky artifacts, slightly blurry text and linework, that sort of thing. But, it really isn't an issue—certainly not one that should be on your radar. The 12.9 has been a dream machine since day one!

Here is an example of what it typically looks like. But keep in mind I've cropped in tight on this so the effect is amplified. The top image is iElectribe Gorillaz Edition (which hasn't been optimized for the larger screen) and the bottom image is from the standard iElectribe (which has been optimized).

Tell me about that Gorrilaz version.

Does it have LINK?

What are the sound that are added? Samples?

Are they any good?

Thanks

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @Brice. so its basically the same as running iphone apps scaled at 2X on the ipad ? then i guess it won't bother me at all. i was just worried the aspect ratio got buggered or something....

@Mark B said:
    I'm sure you're aware that they are just about to announce a new model next week according to the rumours.

Its the 10.5 though isn't it ? i wouldn't be surprised if they still cripple it with just 2gb of ram. I'm definitely waiting till they announce the 10.5. although i'm curious to see if they announce a new 12.9. already own a 9.7 air2 so the 10.5 wouldn't really be much of an upgrade to me space wise :/

The 10.5 is the major announcement, but an update to the 12.9 is also on the "leaked" list. With Apple who really knows? I am planning on ordering the updated 12.9 as soon as it is available unless the 10.5 has the iPhone 7plus camera in which case I'll probably get the 10.5 instead. :) Also got my fingers crossed for a 512GB memory version even though it was not mentioned in any of the leaks I've read so I can put more lossless music on it. :smile:

• edited June 2017

I hope for 3D touch. Would be the main reason to buy one for me. More RAM and CPU are always welcome too.

• @BigDawgsByte said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Mark B said:

The 10.5 is the major announcement, but an update to the 12.9 is also on the "leaked" list. With Apple who really knows? I am planning on ordering the updated 12.9 as soon as it is available unless the 10.5 has the iPhone 7plus camera in which case I'll probably get the 10.5 instead. :) Also got my fingers crossed for a 512GB memory version even though it was not mentioned in any of the leaks I've read so I can put more lossless music on it. :smile:

I'm hoping for a 512 GB version too :D

• It's all about the software, i dont care about the hardware as much. iOS 11 better be ipad focused...

• @Lacm1993 said:
    It's all about the software, i dont care about the hardware as much. iOS 11 better be ipad focused...

i hit cpu limits way too easily on my air2. so i definitely need more hardware :/

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Lacm1993 said:
    It's all about the software, i dont care about the hardware as much. iOS 11 better be ipad focused...

i hit cpu limits way too easily on my air2. so i definitely need more hardware :/

Well...yeah, jajaja. Of course a nice CPU bump would be nice, more storage, maybe a new design, etc... specially with an older iPad.
    But I'm looking at the big picture here, I rather see the iPad software go one step beyond and really fulfill on the promise of a pro device.

I'm really looking forward to iOS 11 the most whatever new iPad apple announce it's secondary to me.

• I will be upgrading my iPad Air 1 very soon, so I am anxiously awaiting next week's WWDC. I'm likely going with either the 12.9" or 9.7" iPad Pro. I don't really see the point of a 10.5"?

• @Seangarland said:
    I will be upgrading my iPad Air 1 very soon, so I am anxiously awaiting next week's WWDC. I'm likely going with either the 12.9" or 9.7" iPad Pro. I don't really see the point of a 10.5"?

There isn't going to be a 9.7 pro anymore. The 10.5 replaces it.

• edited June 2017

@Seangarland said:
    I will be upgrading my iPad Air 1 very soon, so I am anxiously awaiting next week's WWDC. I'm likely going with either the 12.9" or 9.7" iPad Pro. I don't really see the point of a 10.5"?

~15% more screen space? Will there still be a 9.5 after the 10.5 is released? Don't know, can't wait for the Keynote. There is a rumor that the 10.5 is a little bit thicker and heavier to support new better speakers.

• @BigDawgsByte said:

@Seangarland said:

~15% more screen space? Will there still be a 9.5 after the 10.5 is released? Don't know, can't wait for the Keynote. There is a rumor that the 10.5 is a little bit thicker and heavier to support new better speakers.

Pretty sure the newly released "iPad" will be still be the 9.7 model. This will just make the pro model more differentiated from the non pro.

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@BigDawgsByte said:

@Seangarland said:

Pretty sure the newly released "iPad" will be still be the 9.7 model. This will just make the pro model more differentiated from the non pro.

Sorry for the poor wording, I meant no more 9.5 Pro. The "iPad" is a pretty nice device for the price, but there is a significant difference between it and the Pro. Its heavier, thicker, slower, etc.. My wife looked at each this week (we are both upgrading next week) and instantly ruled out the "iPad" on feel alone versus the 9.5 Pro without knowing any of the tech details.

• edited June 2017

mine has really faint yellowing on the screen in certain spots. i am covered by wArranty and am getting a new one.

other than that---i love it. it is unreal.

• Less than 48 hrs to go now. Looking forward to the announcements :D