Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MODSTEP for Dummies: Learn Us

How is best way to import and use an audio file in Modstep?

Can you edit audio files(chop/slice) in Modstep?

Can you run Launchpad audio into Modstep and record it?

What audio type is saved when you record in Modstep?

Thank you

I am thinking I may be transitioning. Tried it seriously for first time and think it is what I need.

And I had no crashes or crackling of any apps.

Comments

• You can import audio from AudioShare or record it from a modstep track. To record from LP, load LP as an IAA and record that track.
    I think recorded audio is 44 kHz 16 bit WAV.
    You can edit audio within the internal sampler

• @AndyPlankton said:
    You can import audio from AudioShare or record it from a modstep track. To record from LP, load LP as an IAA and record that track.

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

You know AUM right, how audio files play. Where would I play a loop or sample in Modstep?

• @RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    You can import audio from AudioShare or record it from a modstep track. To record from LP, load LP as an IAA and record that track.

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

You know AUM right, how audio files play. Where would I play a loop or sample in Modstep?

in internal sampler

• @foxal said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

in internal sampler

• But there is not a loop function yet...?
    Last time I tried I need to set it old school (playing with lenght and pitch) launching the sample from a clip everytime... then if I changed the bpm it gone out of time obviously...

There aresome improvements in this field or workaround I missed?

• @RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

You cannot do it quite the same way as in aum, there is no linear audio track for long audio and no looping, you can trigger a loop, but have to do it for each time you want the loop to play like @Dubbylabby says.
    You can only pay audio back by using the internal sampler, an IAA or AU audio player, or by using aum as input to a channel and do it with the file player.....I haven't done it myself but believe you can trigger the aum file player from midi, so you can trigger it from modstep.

• edited May 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

.I haven't done it myself but believe you can trigger the aum file player from midi, so you can trigger it from modstep.https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5Wtrnc53c

I'm not going to keep posting GoneKrazy3000's videos*, but but yes, you can trigger an AUM loop from within Modstep.

*Not because I don't want to spread the gospel, but because it seems like stealing on my part!

• @foxal said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

in internal sampler

@ExAsperis99 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can you import a loop?

Where does it play?

.I haven't done it myself but believe you can trigger the aum file player from midi, so you can trigger it from modstep.https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xj5Wtrnc53c

I'm not going to keep posting GoneKrazy3000's videos, but but yes, you can trigger an AUM loop from within Modstep.

Thank you

• I've given up on Modstep as an audio looper. The one shot sampler works but it's a pain and tempo changes wreak havoc. It works much better as a MIDI sequencer linked to an audio looper in AUM or whatever.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I've given up on Modstep as an audio looper. The one shot sampler works but it's a pain and tempo changes wreak havoc. It works much better as a MIDI sequencer linked to an audio looper in AUM or whatever.

I've been literally saying this for months lol. Just use modstep for sequencing. Modstep+AUM is a fantastic combo.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I've given up on Modstep as an audio looper. The one shot sampler works but it's a pain and tempo changes wreak havoc. It works much better as a MIDI sequencer linked to an audio looper in AUM or whatever.

I've been literally saying this for months lol. Just use modstep for sequencing. Modstep+AUM is a fantastic combo.

I've been listening! The proof is right here...

• I too have been waiting for better audio support in Modstep ... now thinking that BM3 will do that and much of what Modstep does(?). We´ll see.

One nice thing about the drum sampler is that anything you see in that screen can be recorded as automation, including the start and stop markers.

• @bleep said:
    I too have been waiting for better audio support in Modstep ... now thinking that BM3 will do that and much of what Modstep does(?). We´ll see.

One nice thing about the drum sampler is that anything you see in that screen can be recorded as automation, including the start and stop markers.

Its kind of wierd. i have been waiting for the modstep devs to just give up and take out all IAA and AUx support and focus purely on midi sequencing. pretty sure i'm the only one that wants it though...

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@bleep said:
    I too have been waiting for better audio support in Modstep ... now thinking that BM3 will do that and much of what Modstep does(?). We´ll see.

Its kind of wierd. i have been waiting for the modstep devs to just give up and take out all IAA and AUx support and focus purely on midi sequencing. pretty sure i'm the only one that wants it though...

It would surely help the overall UX and product "story" in my estimation.

• Hi all, im keen to copy an entire .mss project into another ipad, anoyone know if its possible to copy and then open an identical set in another ipad? thanks
    ps. I left my ipad on the fire and need a quick replacement option for a gig

• Man I forget all the good threads I have started till they come back like this......LOL

• edited June 2018

@synthbomb said:
    Hi all, im keen to copy an entire .mss project into another ipad, anoyone know if its possible to copy and then open an identical set in another ipad? thanks

I have not been able to figure it out and Ive looked read the manual etc. Tried to copy via itunes share, which i can do, but cant figure out how to import.

Really following this and hope to find out im wrong.

Dont know, tried on a different laptop and it worked.

• Im using modstep, do you need to use beatmaker to get your process to work?

• edited June 2018

Bah...editing my posts. Not sure what I was doing wrong before, or maybe the other laptop I was using was being buggy, but I was able to copy my modstep sessions from one ipad to the other via iTunes share, with everything intact.

And, I use Beatmaker for its internal effects and multi-layer sampling.

• @synthbomb said:
    Hi all, im keen to copy an entire .mss project into another ipad, anoyone know if its possible to copy and then open an identical set in another ipad? thanks

Use iFunBox. This allows you to dive into the folders that you can see with iTunes file sharing.

Grab your .mss session and put it into the Session folder of the target device. It will have all of the settings / mappings. Of course, if you used the Sampler (maybe Synth, not sure), you'll need to copy those files as well.

• @aplourde said:

@synthbomb said:

Use iFunBox. This allows you to dive into the folders that you can see with iTunes file sharing.

Grab your .mss session and put it into the Session folder of the target device. It will have all of the settings / mappings. Of course, if you used the Sampler (maybe Synth, not sure), you'll need to copy those files as well.

Will try that. Thanks.

• @Multicellular said:

@synthbomb said:

I have not been able to figure it out and Ive looked read the manual etc. Tried to copy via itunes share, which i can do, but cant figure out how to import.

Really following this and hope to find out im wrong.

So what I have to do is
    1. Export the midi
    2. Save any au presets in their apps
    3. Open up Beatmaker open all the presets. (Guessing you could use other DAWs etc.)
    4. Copy the midi and beatmaker files to the other iPad (a few ways to do that)
    5. Have to redo the tempos per scene, load the effects and presets, trim the extra measures from the patterns.

It is a pain, but all told takes me about 3 mins per song, once I got use to it.

Generous response .