Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ripplemaker AUv3 - Launched!

I thought I'd start a thread to post updates about my upcoming semi-modular app Ripplemaker.

Appstore link: Ripplemaker by Bram Bos
https://appsto.re/nl/dSA_hb.i

Executive summary:

• West-coast inpired synthesis style (focusing on additive / complex (in)harmonic / experimental rather than classic subtractive)
  • Semi-modular (normalized default connections)
  • AUv3, Audiobus 3 (with AB3 MIDI in+out support), CoreMIDI, Ableton Link, MIDI Clock Sync
  • Sequencer in the standalone app
  • Patch manager built into the AUv3
  • Universal (iPad 4+, iPhone 5S+, iPod Touch 6G+)
  • Designed for countless hours of tinkering fun!

This will likely make some people happy:

Comments

• I'm really excited for this!

• Word puzzle ... Rearrange the following ...

Money
    My
    Take

• @brambos said:

• ETA: Early July?

Oh man, it's not even early June yet! :'(

• West Coast + Semi Modular == Really excited about this.

@brambos As a developer working on my own app, I'd love to hear more about the technical difficulties/achievements involved in pulling this off.

• Looks promising. A grey skin would be great.

• Random, mutation, variation, yum! (Wav and midi up arrow?!)

• So, it's a semi-modular synth. Might well suit a semi musically literate dabbler, such as myself. Will await the reviews.

• @Beathoven said:

@brambos said:

• ETA: Early July?

Oh man, it's not even early June yet! :'(

It's a conservative estimate. I don't want to keep postponing launch-predictions ;)

• Utterly fantastic. Gleefully awaiting its arrival.

• edited May 2017

@nrgb said:
    @brambos As a developer working on my own app, I'd love to hear more about the technical difficulties/achievements involved in pulling this off.

For me the biggest challenge for this particular app is keeping CPU usage down to reasonable levels. Since all "modules" are truly independent free-running entities (all running @4x samplerate) it's a bit harder to do clever optimizations based on 'knowing' what's going on elsewhere in the system.

And, yeah, preset management is major pain when it has to be solved inside the AUv3...

• Looking forward to this!

• @brambos That's enough chatting with the hoi polloi, get back to work...

• Awesomeness looking forward to this one

• Best news of the day.

• @brambos how do you imagine this synth sounding in relation to the MakeNoise 0-Coast semi-modular? Do the voices in ripplemaker have a healthy expansive range?

I know more will be revealed in time and in Patch demos, just curious if you were using a hardware synth to model your wonderful creation upon.

• So can we connect several modules too? :)

• look at you with those scales in the sequencer!

• edited May 2017

@echoopera said:
    @brambos how do you imagine this synth sounding in relation to the MakeNoise 0-Coast semi-modular? Do the voices in ripplemaker have a healthy expansive range?

I know more will be revealed in time and in Patch demos, just curious if you were using a hardware synth to model your wonderful creation upon.

It's certainly not a clone of the 0-coast, but it was very loosely inspired by that sort of semi-modular desktop modules: extensive enough to lose yourself into, but compact enough to not get lost in it.

In terms of range of sounds; it's pretty wide, considering it's essentially a single oscillator monosynth. You can put the Slope section in cycle mode and enable key tracking so it becomes a secondary oscillator. This can be used as sub-osc, input for the FM section, a poor-man's sync oscillator, a ring-mod or a totally separate second osc.

The LFOs go far into audio-range so they too can become sound sources or FM/AM sources for things like the oscillator, the filter, etc.

For me, now that I've started making presets, Ripplemaker has become almost like a sound-design game. I think of a sound effect and try to create it using the tools that I have at my disposal. Many happy accidents along the way B)

I guess that's the way of the modular.

Also superfun is going into generative territory. Try to get away from the sequencer and use the square LFO and other pulse-type signals (such as End-Of-Cycle and Start-Of-Decay) as triggers for the envelopes and the clock to make self-running drones and loops.

Even if I don't sell more than a handful of these at least I've already had my share of fun making this :D

• @brambos said:

@echoopera said:
    @brambos how do you imagine this synth sounding in relation to the MakeNoise 0-Coast semi-modular? Do the voices in ripplemaker have a healthy expansive range?

It's certainly not a clone of the 0-coast, but it was very loosely inspired by that sort of semi-modular desktop modules: extensive enough to lose yourself into, but compact enough to not get lost in it.

In terms of range of sounds; it's pretty wide, considering it's essentially a single oscillator monosynth. You can put the Slope section in cycle mode and enable key tracking so it becomes a secondary oscillator. This can be used as sub-osc, input for the FM section, a poor-man's sync oscillator, a ring-mod or a totally separate second osc.

The LFOs go far into audio-range so they too can become sound sources or FM/AM sources for things like the oscillator, the filter, etc.

For me, now that I've started making presets, Ripplemaker has become almost like a sound-design game. I think of a sound effect and try to create it using the tools that I have at my disposal. Many happy accidents along the way B)

I guess that's the way of the modular.

Also superfun is going into generative territory. Try to get away from the sequencer and use the square LFO and other pulse-type signals (such as End-Of-Cycle and Start-Of-Decay) as triggers for the envelopes and the clock to make self-running drones and loops.

Even if I don't sell more than a handful of these at least I've already had my share of fun making this :D

Sounds good so far. I like a real mono optimized synth. While the whole worlds screams for polyphonic everywhere i like it when you focus on a mono voice and go wild with it. Most sounds you create with a "real" mono synth would sound anyway like a noisehorror in poly :)
    I can´t wait to play with this on my phone.
    But would it be possible to add 3D touch support?

• i suppose the interesting thing will be how you implement the au inputs/outputs. if, in Aum say, you could access certain of the patch points as au insert/effect and route to selectable au inputs on another channel it would be a real utilisation of the au possibilities on ios... especially with all the seperate iVcs modules to add in etc.etc..
    but even if that isn't possible this is one of very few automatic purchases coming up on ios for me.. bon chance!

• I'm so looking forward to this!

• @RockySmalls said:
    i suppose the interesting thing will be how you implement the au inputs/outputs. if, in Aum say, you could access certain of the patch points as au insert/effect and route to selectable au inputs on another channel it would be a real utilisation of the au possibilities on ios... especially with all the seperate iVcs modules to add in etc.etc..
    but even if that isn't possible this is one of very few automatic purchases coming up on ios for me.. bon chance!

Interesting thought, but not sure how that would work technically. You could route audio through an AU effect plugin, but not sure how you could fake CV signals between discrete AU instances. Does iVCS3 do more than just sending audio in and out?

• @brambos said:

@RockySmalls said:
    i suppose the interesting thing will be how you implement the au inputs/outputs. if, in Aum say, you could access certain of the patch points as au insert/effect and route to selectable au inputs on another channel it would be a real utilisation of the au possibilities on ios... especially with all the seperate iVcs modules to add in etc.etc..

Interesting thought, but not sure how that would work technically. You could route audio through an AU effect plugin, but not sure how you could fake CV signals between discrete AU instances. Does iVCS3 do more than just sending audio in and out?

iVCS3 can't but I believe zMors Modular does.

• If zMors can translate its internal CV signals to AU parameters for the AUs it hosts we're golden. That could open up a whole world of extra possibilities.

• @brambos said:
    If zMors can translate its internal CV signals to AU parameters for the AUs it hosts we're golden. That could open up a whole world of extra possibilities.

@sven would know!

• Running on a 4" screen. It's tiny but doable. 4.7" or bigger recommended though ;)

• Awesome! My iPhone SE is waiting for :)

• edited May 2017

And here's what that patch sounds like: "Tibetan Drone" :)

• edited May 2017

@brambos said:

Sorry, Brambos, love your apps, but this sounds like the horn of a ferry at sea in mist,

• edited May 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@brambos said:

Sorry, Brambos, love your apps, but this sounds like the horn of a ferry a sea in mist,

You should hear the one called "Blasterfight" :D