Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Small midi controller for travel

I have a few trips this year and was thinking about getting a portable midi controller to throw in my backpack. From all the ones I see, it seems none have editable parameters without a software. The Akai MPK Mini looks the best for the price and to have some note repeat functions but it seems the Arturia minilab could change midi channels on the fly plus it has 16 knobs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Which apps?

• Anything and everything. I have gadget, beathawk, cubasis, a lot of synths and random music apps.

Maybe BM3 will be out sometime this quarter as well.

• I bought the MiniLab Mk II and is very beautiful ! The pads are not for beatmaking but are soft although you have to try hitting them on the center . Still better than keys or glass !
    The encoders are very good but keep in mind they are endless , meaning you have no indication which is the actual value.
    Keys are ok ,a bit soft and the black keys stiffer. It also has pitch and mod wheel compared to mpk mini . If you go for the mpk mkII you have to use a USB hub ( don't own the mpk ,it's what I heard over the net)
    Hope I helped a bit... :)

• I've been thinking of going dedicated separates rather than all in one. Like a MIDI Fighter Twister with a simple keyboard. More expensive though.

• I use QuNexus and Lightpad Block and am super happy with this combination. I hear the CME Xkey Air is great as well (has bluetooth capability)

• The Xkey has polyphonic aftertouch = Animoog madness .

• Picked up a 2nd hand CME XKey 25. Non-Bluetooth so it's wired up.

Gorgeous!

For key playing it's really surprisingly tactile. You won't be knob twiddling with it so it may not be what you're after.

Certainly recommend it for keys though. Super thin and perfect fit for the rucksack.

• Thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any more.

It seems CME Xkeys are a go to for travel. I do like how slim they appear plus full size keys. Doesn't give me the pads but the wired only seems to go for <$100 on amazon. I could pair that with an Akai MPD218 and have a nice little travel setup for under $200. and have both nice keys, pads, and 3 banks of knobs.

Powering it all would not be an issue since I can power a USB hub with my 30,000 mAh battery bank.

• I like the nanokey studio. It all feels flimsy but is very responsive so i have adjusted. Love the bluetooth. Have different scenes set up for the various apps.

• Akai MPD218 pads are stiff and unless you find a used one I recommend lpd8 .More value for money plus more encoders (non endless) . But you get 8 pads vs 16

• Just bought the MPK mini Mk2.. Can't fault it.. Drum pads are amazing.. It's a great little keyboard..

• Arturia mini lab is your best bey it offer a lot in a small package

• @Korakios said:
    The Xkey has polyphonic aftertouch = Animoog madness .

Recently picked up an XKey 25, but the only success I've had with the polyphonic aftertouch capabilites is in the XKey Piano app (aka.....I've had zero success with polyphonic aftertouch). Can you describe how you're setting up Animoog to respond to the XKey's aftertouch messages?

• edited May 2017

Unfortunately I no longer have the xkey ( bought the minilab ). Could you test with the 'Xkey plus' app if the poly aftertouch is enabled ?

• edited May 2017

Mpk mini mk1 gets my vote, you can change midi channel on the fly no problem just 4 though. Mpk mini mk2 doesn't have a low power mode and requires messing with hubs. No biggie.

If you were thinking of Arturia minilab mk2 it is a lovely controller but I got stuck notes on two consecutive units that I ended up returning the, to the shop. Great keyboard feel but much heavier than mpk.

• edited May 2017

@Korakios said:
    Unfortunately I no longer have the xkey ( bought the minilab ). Could you test with the 'Xkey plus' app if the poly aftertouch is enabled ?

No worries! It does appear that PA is working, at least in the very basic sense within the XKey Piano app. But Animoog seems a mystery. I've read several posts across the web regarding polyphonic aftertouch / Animoog that claim everything from "it isn't possible" to "it is possible, but your DAW won't record the messages accurately." Either way, I'd need to be a MUCH bigger fan of Animoog in order to dive into figuring this one out. Choosing my iOS battles wisely these days—there are many :|

• @supadom I dont mind messing with powered hub. And I will keep that in mind about the Arturia minilab

Anybody use the Beatstep non-pro? How are the pads?

• @gmslayton said:
    @supadom I dont mind messing with powered hub. And I will keep that in mind about the Arturia minilab

Anybody use the Beatstep non-pro? How are the pads?

I like the pads on beatstep but I use them for triggering loops rather than drumming but they seem solid.

• @gkillmaster said:
    I use QuNexus and Lightpad Block and am super happy with this combination. I hear the CME Xkey Air is great as well (has bluetooth capability)

the QuNexus is bluetooth? Is the quneo as well?

• @audiblevideo I don't think the QuNexus is. I know the Quneo is not. I have one I am thinking about selling. Its a fun controller, I just never use it and I doubt I ever will.

• What's the actual smallest midi controller you can buy commercially?

• Livid minim

• @audiblevideo said:
    Livid minim

Yup

• https://owow.io - this one, the drum, looks interesting. Although the conversion rate makes it look more expensive than a minim. I was looking for a 1 or 2 button midi controller at one point, but I forget why now. Probably not worth shelling out the bucks if that is the case.

• edited May 2017

Personally I love the launchpad pro. It's got no knobs but has 16 channels and scale locking. It also works well for triggering clips in modstep and infinite looper. I also carry a launch control Xl wit me for knobs and faders. both and my iPad easily fit in my backpack.... A hub + a battery bank and you basically have a portable studio.

• @gmslayton said:
    I have a few trips this year and was thinking about getting a portable midi controller to throw in my backpack. From all the ones I see, it seems none have editable parameters without a software. The Akai MPK Mini looks the best for the price and to have some note repeat functions but it seems the Arturia minilab could change midi channels on the fly plus it has 16 knobs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bluetooth of any type.

When I am en route I usually am able to get much done with my freaking LIVID Minim actually.

I do like either of the 2 you mentioned though.

Let me know as I was considering those 2 as well.

• @anomieholiday Those things look cool and I could see potential in them for live performance.

@gonekrazy3000 I have thought about the launchpad pro but a little more than I want to spend. Can it play notes similar to the Push, As in the scale grid is similar to a guitar fretboard?

@RustiK I will. I am not really looking for bluetooth though. I would rather have wires. call me old school. Maybe if I play with a bluetooth keyboard I might change my mind.

The Akai MPK mini offers a lot, with ARP, note repeat, Swing. Plus its cheap and they have a limited edition white one on amazon. Looks pretty sweet. http://amzn.to/2rfzndw

The Arturia Minilab doesn't seem to have any onboard arps or anything. The biggest thing it has going for it, for me, is its software collection, analog lab. I did look at the Arturia Keystep, which looks awesome. Has a polyphonic sequencer, ARPs, and aftertouch. But its also 21 inches, which is not much smaller than my Korg Triton Taktile 25. So it doesnt seem portable.

• @gmslayton said:
    Maybe if I play with a bluetooth keyboard I might change my mind.

I travel a lot for work and I now find BT indispensable when I'm on the road. I have zero issues with latency. Try it at least!

• @lukesleepwalker Yea, that is what I keep hearing. I might be reluctant because I remember when bluetooth came out. I was a PC Technician and we had loads of problems with it.

I do have a portable bluetooth speaker, which works well. The Bluetooth in my car, works but not with out a few issues sometimes. I had a bluetooth mouse that always seem to give me issue. So it may be in how the company implements Bluetooth.

• @gmslayton said:
    @lukesleepwalker Yea, that is what I keep hearing. I might be reluctant because I remember when bluetooth came out. I was a PC Technician and we had loads of problems with it.

I do have a portable bluetooth speaker, which works well. The Bluetooth in my car, works but not with out a few issues sometimes. I had a bluetooth mouse that always seem to give me issue. So it may be in how the company implements Bluetooth.

Yep, remember that we're talking about BT-MIDI here. It's a slightly different beast, although some report connection issues from time to time. (I experience very few and can't recall the last time I had a connection issue.) The thing about BT MIDI is that it just feels like it was made for travel; I use it on the plane, in the airport, and for a quick session at the hotel.