Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are your recent app regrets and why?

Mine are

Blocswave- it doesn't even have its own fx

Pads by klevgrand- it doesn't have much functionality and it's ui makes me feel like I'm using a kids toy

Comments

• edited May 2017

Lol , Blocswave too. Very basic & limited app.
    Also bought Mitosynth recently but could never make any cool patch. (did not find any tutorial importing and using custom wav files) Many parameters cause glitches when tweaking, few parameters are available on performance mode. Edited

• Fx on blocs is a shame but it's designed to work altogether with Launchpad app (and make you buy the effects there) or export to Ableton and finish the track in desktop. Another solution is resampling but I see your points if you aren't going to perform these tracks live and want something more featured.

About the topic question... I'm not sure. I bought recentlly some apps that I'm not conviced to worth the buy in terms of use (against the fast workflow I have with Blocs) such ReSlice and BH2...

• Bit of a negative thread? :|

Blocswave is great IMO. Depends what you are using it for.

• I think we've had this thread before; quite recently too. I'm not sure the prices on iOS are high enough to warrant true regrets. Even if I spent £20 on an app and only got minimal use out of it. Especially after watching Jakob and Doug demonstrate their features/presets. I recently realised I'd purchased over 400 apps in the last 6 years, but at least they weren't desktop prices!

• blocs wave is pretty much an essential timestretch and scale shift plugin for me. i input loops i want. set the project tempo to whatever i need the new loop tempo and scale to be and export to audioshare. i also chop loops and export to other daws. very fast workflow for these uses.

• @Korakios said:

>

How on earth are you using it? I find the app incredibly useful and very capable of outputting work to a DAW. Ah well, each to our own.

Anyway, the thing I'm regretting at the moment is the Choirs pack for BeatHawk. The impression given is of a vast collection, but unless something went wrong with my download, all I'm seeing is a total of 23 instruments.

• edited May 2017

Korg Module. I should have bought I MS20. I also regret buying imini---poor sound. Cubasis hasnt paid off yet but I know it will.

Session Drummer hasn't been very inspiring.

I never really have regrets, though. I know there's always room for improvement and going back to an old app and finding fresh inspiration is always a possibility.

I have so many effects it doesn't matter to me that blocs doesn't have any.

I was thinking today what the IOS platform really needs is a good (or any!) Audio to Midi app. Even if that's ALL it does is convert.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    I was thinking today what the IOS platform really needs is a good (or any!) Audio to Midi app. Even if that's ALL it does is convert.

>

Great suggestion. There are apps that give it a go, but nothing I am aware of that is reliable.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Korakios said:

>

How on earth are you using it? I find the app incredibly useful and very capable of outputting work to a DAW. Ah well, each to our own.

It's amazing that anyone could "regret" Blocswave! I think it only cost £2.49 when I bought it and it's now gratis. I must admit I didn't really get it at first but, after watching a few demos on YouTube and giving it a second chance, I now find it incredibly useful and it even changed my entire workflow; making me far more productive in terms of projects and live use. I understand everyone is different, but "regretting" £2.49 is a bit strong.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Korakios said:

>
    I would like to use it as ReSlice . Meaning the sample edit option ReSlice offers. :)

@Zen210507 said:
    Anyway, the thing I'm regretting at the moment is the Choirs pack for BeatHawk. The impression given is of a vast collection, but unless something went wrong with my download, all I'm seeing is a total of 23 instruments.

It's 23 instruments indeed

• edited May 2017

@Korakios said:
    >
    I would like to use it as ReSlice . Meaning the sample edit option ReSlice offers. :)

Can you not re-slice in Re-Slice, and use BW for putting your work together?

It's 23 instruments indeed

>

Okay, thanks for confirming that. I suppose I should look more before I leap. Actually, no moaning about the quality of the 23, and I haven't yet tried it with a keyboard, so when I do I'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

• @Beathoven said:
    , I now find it incredibly useful and it even changed my entire workflow; making me far more productive in terms of projects and live use.

>

Yes, that is also my experience. Once I 'got' the app and really understood what it could do, it was a great leap forward for me and remains very useful.

• @Korakios said:
    Also bought Mitosynth recently but could never make any cool patch. (did not find any tutorial importing and using custom wav files) Many parameters cause glitches when tweaking, few parameters are available on performance mode.

In the mitosynth library go to the audio section and press the import button (lower right) and it will ask to open audioshare. Samples must be in the root directory of audioshare. When you sample instruments (synths or others) make sure you record A4 notes or you will need to retune the samples inside mitosynth. Since I'm using an air2 mitosynth is running fine without glitches. When you study some factory presets you will notice it's pretty easy to create your own patches.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Can you not re-slice in Re-Slice, and use BW for putting your work together?

Interesting ,but I'll give BW a try when it has midi, automation, independent pitch-shift etc....
    :)

• Pointless thread. Actually damaging to development.

This is totally subjective to so many things: style of music, work flow, personality...

In my first weeks with Samplr I didn't get on with it at all, now it is my number one app. Go figure.

• Any app I have purchased with no clear instructions or manual- I always regret them

• I blame myself.

• @Proto said:

@Korakios said:
    Also bought Mitosynth recently but could never make any cool patch. (did not find any tutorial importing and using custom wav files) Many parameters cause glitches when tweaking, few parameters are available on performance mode.

In the mitosynth library go to the audio section and press the import button (lower right) and it will ask to open audioshare. Samples must be in the root directory of audioshare. When you sample instruments (synths or others) make sure you record A4 notes or you will need to retune the samples inside mitosynth. Since I'm using an air2 mitosynth is running fine without glitches. When you study some factory presets you will notice it's pretty easy to create your own patches.

No more glitches ( don't know what happened) , time to import few of the 4300 AKWF Waveforms !
    Thank you

• My only regret is that I don't have them all.

• edited May 2017

@Love3quency said:
    Blocswave- it doesn't even have its own fx

you just sold it to me - I hate inner-app-fx, a pita when it comes to mixing a context... ;)
    Any app should have dry and wet out(s) on dedicated paths.
    Maybe an option for a premium in-app purchase, or a live/studio version.

I don't complain about SamplR (because it's just great even in this limited form), but single outs would be awesome B)
    Almost forgot: Midi out on the Fairlight/Peter Vogel CMI.

• @u0421793 said:
    I blame myself.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Thinking Error- 'Personallising'. Be careful- this could lead too anxiety and/ or depression :/

• @robosardine said:

@u0421793 said:
    I blame myself.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Thinking Error- 'Personallising'. Be careful- this could lead too anxiety and/ or depression :/

Which could lead to Responsibility Deficit Disorder or a person who is apt to blame others anyway. (not actually worried about that)

FYI: The human condition is meant for "thinking". So, a "thinking error" is a mis-statement.

Most people conflate thoughts and emotions. Thoughts are soley one's own. It is dangerous to turn over one's thinking to an outside system or methodology. Formulaic reasoning for the emotional condition is a paradox.

Which leads me to the next thought I had after reading your post. Personalizing is much more healthy than one having a sense that they lack control their emotions, outcomes, or ultimately their destiny.

• @RustiK said:

@robosardine said:

@u0421793 said:
    I blame myself.

Which could lead to Responsibility Deficit Disorder or a person who is apt to blame others anyway. (not actually worried about that)

FYI: The human condition is meant for "thinking". So, a "thinking error" is a mis-statement.

Most people conflate thoughts and emotions. Thoughts are soley one's own. It is dangerous to turn over one's thinking to an outside system or methodology. Formulaic reasoning for the emotional condition is a paradox.

Which leads me to the next thought I had after reading your post. Personalizing is much more healthy than one having a sense that they lack control their emotions, outcomes, or ultimately their destiny.

Thanks for that- I was referring to personising as in the classic cbt error of blaming yourself or taking responsibility for something that you have no influence or control over.
    FYI thinking errors are well recognised and widely used and referenced in treatment. It seems obvious to me that they have been given this name in order to characterise them and give some understanding to them as opposed to giving them a specific definition. This is accepted parlance- and so would not constitute a 'mis- statement'

• And here's an interesting article on thinking errors.....

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201501/10-thinking-errors-will-crush-your-mental-strength

Well I thought it was quite interesting anyway.

• @robosardine said:

@RustiK said:

@robosardine said:

@u0421793 said:
    I blame myself.

Thanks for that- I was referring to personising as in the classic cbt error of blaming yourself or taking responsibility for something that you have no influence or control over.
    FYI thinking errors are well recognised and widely used and referenced in treatment. It seems obvious to me that they have been given this name in order to characterise them and give some understanding to them as opposed to giving them a specific definition. This is accepted parlance- and so would not constitute a 'mis- statement'

All well and good, but not my point.

I guess my comment is based if you are throwing such therapeutic methods with a false premise that "buying apps" is a neurosis of some sort. Otherwise, there is no corresponding behavior to the pattern you inferred. Presupposing a faulty pattern into that equation does not work. Let alone, I don't think labeling others mental health on a forum about ios music is proper etiquette.

That is the world we live in. Reverse engineer diagnosis to fit the paradigm of what one wants to put upon another. Meanwhile, a betterment of one's own ego and self is enjoyed.

No one asked for a psychological analysis of one post of a person you have no background on. Doesn't make sense to me.

CBT is very hip and the term that is bandied about when many people who use it couldn't tell the different between operant, classical, social learning, or avoidance learning.

Anyway, a psychodynamic approach is more favorable by me anyway.

Not being an ass, but, I have to try and be clear to show this is not a personal attack on you in the process.

Regards.

• Some commentators need to chill. I'm not being negative by stating which apps I got which I didn't find useful lol

I'm quite new here and am just finding out more about apps and what you DONT like because it's pretty obvious which apps are popular

Gadget
    Aum
    Layr
    Modstep
    Audiobus

Seem to be mentioned a lot...

• I recently bought a bunch of great apps, but I don't have the time to delve into them so I regret purchasing them so close together:

iVCS3 -- will take ages to learn

Audiobus 3 and MIDIflow -- not super compatible with my current workflow but "I'll use them eventually"

KRFT -- looks great but I don't have the time to learn right now

TouchOSC -- bought to create a Lumen controller, which is amazing, but it looks like I might use KRFT instead

Chordion -- no regrets here. This is the only one I should have bought

Troublemaker -- I don't even like acid house but it's a great little synth

• @Dubbylabby said:
    About the topic question... I'm not sure. I bought recentlly some apps that I'm not conviced to worth the buy in terms of use (against the fast workflow I have with Blocs) such ReSlice and BH2...

@LeonLeroy said:
    I never really have regrets, though. I know there's always room for improvement and going back to an old app and finding fresh inspiration is always a possibility.

Agreed. I don't regret them and neither other apps like Lemur/Touchosc that I can't imagine using them again... but who knows? If they get improvements it could help to give them a second third whatever chance... :lol:

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Bit of a negative thread? :|

Blocswave is great IMO. Depends what you are using it for.

+1

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    blocs wave is pretty much an essential timestretch and scale shift plugin for me. i input loops i want. set the project tempo to whatever i need the new loop tempo and scale to be and export to audioshare. i also chop loops and export to other daws. very fast workflow for these uses.

+1