Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sound Quality: LaunchPad vs.Blocs Wave Apps

I am not going to give my opinion. Instead, I am just wondering your opinion.

While we are discussing this, another question. When importing to Launchpad app, do you use the compress option?

Sound Quality Novation Apps
  1. Which app has better sound quality?11 votes
    1. Launchpad
      54.55%
    2. BlocsWave
      45.45%

Comments

• beyond a doubt launchpad's sound is better. hence the audioboost function in blocs.

• Yeah, I'm buying more Launchpad packs than Blocs Wave. Better quality and more imaginative.

• i find a lot of the blocs bass is too low and much of the melodic sounds all have the same reverb echo drenched all over it. very very similar

• I find it is what I do with them rather than where they came from that makes the difference...
    The packs for both are pretty varied, some will suit you, some will not. I do agree that loops with lots of FX applied are less useful than those without. I.know the guys would like to have a reverb fx in LP.....perhaps when they have this there will be more dry packs made available.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I find it is what I do with them rather than where they came from that makes the difference...
    The packs for both are pretty varied, some will suit you, some will not. I do agree that loops with lots of FX applied are less useful than those without. I.know the guys would like to have a reverb fx in LP.....perhaps when they have this there will be more dry packs made available.

VERY TRUE!

The spectrum is varied.

Some are really spot on and EQ solid.

Others sound like a distant memory of what a song used to be.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    beyond a doubt launchpad's sound is better. hence the audioboost function in blocs.

@Zen210507 said:
    Yeah, I'm buying more Launchpad packs than Blocs Wave. Better quality and more imaginative.

@AndyPlankton said:
    I find it is what I do with them rather than where they came from that makes the difference...

Outside of the IAPs.

When you import, do you feel Launchpad has better sound?

I find that Blocs actually sound like my original more.

The Launchpad app makes many things sound hollowed out for me.

And that may be just me. I find that Blocs has a better quality and consistent sound.

Both however, are generally run thru Remaster or SilQ as I use them anyway.

• @RustiK said:
    Outside of the IAPs.

I'd agree that Blocs Wave sounds better for imported files. Why, I have no idea.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Yeah, I'm buying more Launchpad packs than Blocs Wave. Better quality and more imaginative.

I have most packs of both apps, but realised they share a high proportion of samples. That is to say many LP packs have the exact same sample(s) as BW.

• @RustiK said:

@LeonLeroy said:
    beyond a doubt launchpad's sound is better. hence the audioboost function in blocs.

@Zen210507 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Outside of the IAPs.

The Launchpad app makes many things sound hollowed out for me.

And that may be just me. I find that Blocs has a better quality and consistent sound.

Both however, are generally run thru Remaster or SilQ as I use them anyway.

Yes I do get the feeling that LP does something to the sound....I thought it was just louder but haven't really analysed it....once I get stuff into LP I don't stop messing with the pads and fx long enough to notice....

• @Zen210507 said:

I think the oppossite :sweat_smile:

• Blocs output level is higher. Louder sounds better to most people. One test would be to record from both, normalize, then compare.

• Not certain about comparative quality, so much ends up to do with FX. What I do know is that I import a lot into BW or play live against a beat then fiddle/flatten. I love this method, but I have got A LOT of files/samples now. I would love there to be a better way or organizing samples, even if it were just an ability to add your own tags to the base set.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Zen210507 said:

It's whatever sparks our imagination. :p

• @Zen210507 said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Zen210507 said:

It's whatever sparks our imagination. :p

I supose it's a matter of taste since I enjoy a lot Blocs and its packs and You must do the same with Launchpad ones. I will re-check those, maybe I missed some gems... :wink:

• edited May 2017

@Dubbylabby said:
    I supose it's a matter of taste since I enjoy a lot Blocs and its packs and You must do the same with Launchpad ones. I will re-check those, maybe I missed some gems... :wink:

Yeah, I think we'd find that we own quite a lot of packs in common, being peeps of great taste. (-;

I have many of the Blocs Wave packs, and an equal number of Launchpad packs. As Launchpad packs also show up in Blocs Wave, I think of them primarily as additional source material. Sometimes, there will be just a single element that sparks an idea, so I'll grab the pack and find that sound.

BTW, just started testing the beta of a new Novation app. Can't say what, exactly. But it shows a lot of promise, and will interest a lot of people like us.

• edited May 2017

New Launchkey app? :smirk:

If you can suggest something please share my LaunchControl Pro design :naughty:

I need to upgrade it with the pitch/mod wheels transformed into softpot/knob but as inspiration it could be a start point for Novation guys :grimace:

• edited May 2017

@wim said:
    Blocs output level is higher. Louder sounds better to most people. One test would be to record from both, normalize, then compare.

Yes, I had this back to front.....when running the 2 apps together and going to and fro to edit individual pads in BW while having the others playing in LP it becomes more apparent...
    You can get level set in BW, export pad to LP and it is then playing back quieter. I have tried normalise on and off in BW...I have both apps loaded in aum and balance he levels between the 2 in there, but the same thing happens.

If I do everything in BW then the levels between pads is fine in LP.....the reason I am mixing playback between the two apps is balancing levels of loops in different rows (sections) which you cannot do in BW.

I have reported this to the blocs team, but they are busy with something else at the moment, but true to form I am sure they will look into it once they get the time.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    I need to upgrade it with the pitch/mod wheels transformed into softpot/knob but as inspiration it could be a start point for Novation guys :grimace:

>

Nice. You could send it to the guys.

• edited May 2017

As soon as I can get another launchkey mk2 to cannibalize it, I will do a prototype... but maybe Novation brings us something before :grimace:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    But maybe Novation brings us something before :grimace:

>

They are always busy, thinking up good stuff. Keep your eyes on the forum. ;)

• I think I have found one reason why I was having so much trouble balancing levels between the apps....I think that when exporting from blocs wave it is exporting pre level fader, I am getting much more consistent results if I flatten my loops before exporting to LP.

• edited May 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not certain about comparative quality, so much ends up to do with FX. What I do know is that I import a lot into BW or play live against a beat then fiddle/flatten. I love this method, but I have got A LOT of files/samples now. I would love there to be a better way or organizing samples, even if it were just an ability to add your own tags to the base

Novation say it's on the list..

• @robosardine said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not certain about comparative quality, so much ends up to do with FX. What I do know is that I import a lot into BW or play live against a beat then fiddle/flatten. I love this method, but I have got A LOT of files/samples now. I would love there to be a better way or organizing samples, even if it were just an ability to add your own tags to the base

Novation say it's on the list..

ORLY

• Is it me or, doesn't Blocs export Key and BPM info in the file name anymore..... Or am I doing something wrong?

• @RajahP said:
    Is it me or, doesn't Blocs export Key and BPM info in the file name anymore..... Or am I doing something wrong?

>

It might be you. :) Whenever I export from BW the file a,ways has key and BPM. This is exporting a Section Mix as a .wav file up to Dropbox.

• @Zen210507 said:

@RajahP said:
    Is it me or, doesn't Blocs export Key and BPM info in the file name anymore..... Or am I doing something wrong?

>

It might be you. :) Whenever I export from BW the file a,ways has key and BPM. This is exporting a Section Mix as a .wav file up to Dropbox.

Thanks ... maybe I am overwhelmed by GAS... will try again..

Peace..

• Bumped for relevance of discussion

• Nice, I wonder if people feel the same since both apps have been updated. Maybe somethings have changed? Maybe not? BW does sound louder overall, but I like the mix better in LP. When playing 8 sounds straight in each, I like the sound coming from LP more. But BW sounds really good when I use a bit of EQ to balance the sounds more to my liking.