Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone out there creating patches from scratch in iWavestation?

Inspired by @brice 's fantastic LayR patches YouTube video (which sounds amazing) - I've now started properly grasping iWavestation since I don't own LayR and I believe they have similarities in their multi-timbral design.

I've finally started using this amazing synth to design patches from the ground up. It's ridiculously powerful for rich, textured sounds (especially those infamous 'long evolving pads').

Few questions for anyone out there who's doing similar:

• i'm struggling to get my patches sounding loud enough. They all come out quite low in volume and I find I have to use one of the effects slots to add 'drive' in order to get the level up to meet other factory patches. I've checked all the obvious stuff like the mixer, the levels in the 'amp' page and the morph page and so on. Anyone got any advice?
  • is there a way for me to save out patches from iWavestation as a SysEx so I can share them with others? (I have successfully imported quite a few old banks from around the web).
  • i'm stuck as to how to get the 'random' setting on the LFOs to modulate the 'settings' page on the 'waves' in order to allow the order the waves play in to be random. Is this possible?

To be honest, right now i've focused on just making rich, multiple wave, patches with either two or 4 oscillators and gently morphing between the oscillators. If you have two of these 'patches' set up and going (using only 2 of your 8 'performance' lanes) then there's an awful lot of complexity and motion possible just from that. I'm finding this ensures things don't get too complicated and I ca pin down what i'm hearing and where to tweak it.

I haven't completely got my head around the effects bussing possibilities either. For example I think you could have one oscillator of one patch be bussed heavily to an extreme delay (e.g. maybe a drum hit) - and have all the other sounds in your preset bypass this (or only have a very small amount of their signal sent to it).

All in all i'm pretty blown away at what's possible. It's like a whole mini studio of sounds and modulations can go into making one single preset. Then you can take it very easily into Gadget (just by saving) and use in your Gadget tracks.

Any experiences otjers have had designing in iWavestation would be very useful to hear. I get the impression most people are a bit intimidadated by the layers of complexity - but once you get your head around it it's actually pretty straight forward.

Comments

• I've been making my own sounds. Some from scratch but also by editing presets I like.

• Some of my sounds are not as loud as the factory patches. Maybe because of certain effects settings, or because of the (amount of) oscillators?
    • No sysex save afaik (only import). You can save your banks to iTunes. But when importing it overwrites all user banks. Not what others want if they already made their own patches.
    • Yes, random LFO works as modulator for the waves. Unlike when using the keyboard as modulator the waves are not visually highlighted when they sound, but you can hear the modulation. On the LFO page, did you raise the rate and set 'Init Amt' to 127? Test it by first setting the LFO to pitch, so you can hear it modulating. Then assign it to the waves in the 'settings' page. Using the mod wheel to step through the waves is fun too.
  • @R_2 said:
    I've been making my own sounds. Some from scratch but also by editing presets I like.

• Some of my sounds are not as loud as the factory patches. Maybe because of certain effects settings, or because of the (amount of) oscillators?
    • No sysex save afaik (only import). You can save your banks to iTunes. But when importing it overwrites all user banks. Not what others want if they already made their own patches.
    • Yes, random LFO works as modulator for the waves. Unlike when using the keyboard as modulator the waves are not visually highlighted when they sound, but you can hear the modulation. On the LFO page, did you raise the rate and set 'Init Amt' to 127? Test it by first setting the LFO to pitch, so you can hear it modulating. Then assign it to the waves in the 'settings' page. Using the mod wheel to step through the waves is fun too.

Brilliant. Thanks @R_2 - I suspect you're right about the lower volume being due to fewer osc and patch slots being used. I guess the app needs to keep the headroom in case you fill all slots.

I'll try your advice on the random LFO. I could hear it when I tried it before but it seemed only to play one or two of the waves. Not all of them randomly. But I'll try again as per your suggestion.

Gotta love iWAVESTATION - really adds a new dimension to Gadget I think.

• edited May 2017

Hey @Matt_Fletcher_2000 did you see this guide that @1P18 put together, it is an intro so the sysex level stuff isn't covered but patch making from scratch is the topic. Both the google drive and the Dropbox one from @AndyPlankton are still live.

• I've created a few patches from scratch, im no expert but I had some luck using it like an arpeggiater.

• Thanks guys.

It's utterly my favourite synth at the moment.

The sound layering and morphing possibilities once you get your head round how it works are... amazing.

Been working on some pretty nice cinematic sounding patches.

• Yes Im creating some for forum users. Check out the forum for all korg apps
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/252819738457805/