Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi sequencer options -advice needed please

I have normally used only synths with built in sequencers- like Gadget. This is due to a persistent (and only possibly) irrational thought that I would never get midi to work - and also that the type of midi sequencer that I am looking for will not actually exist on iOS.

I am looking for a sequencer that is very simple to use (I only need to write one track at a time)

It would have a grid on it for entering notes- or at least it would be easy and non convoluted. Editing gate time/ slides/ notes would be easy and obvious.

It would have a few knobs or sliders on it to control selected parameters like cutoff and resolution. These knobs would have automation (this is vital).

It would be easy and obvious to map the cc's of the sequencer to the selected parameter.

That's it- the less additional stuff to this- the better. Is there anything that does this.

If Gadget could be used to control other synths then that would be ideal.
Come to think of it- I would be happy to buy a hardware sequencer to control iOS apps if that were viable.
What are the best options folks?
Cheers

Comments

• I've got loads and they all do slightly different things. ModStep is probably closest to what you're looking for but it's not particularly straightforward.

• Modstep. but its not particularly easy. i've used it tons so its become second nature to me. but it can be daunting for a beginner. Its also a bit unstable if you use it to host IAA and AUx. but as a standalone midi sequencer its rock solid stable. (thats the way i use it. midi only.)

• Yup Modstep

While there is a learning curve, once you get the hang of the workflow, it's the best

• I just happened upon this article that describes a simple sequencer, and it's inexpensive. I don't own it or have experience with it but might be worth checking out.
    Steps: http://cdm.link/2017/05/steps-ios-sequencer-works-hand-sequences-hardware/

• edited May 2017

HMmmm, very soon KRFT will have midi out and be an option that you may be interested in. The beta is awesome. Not your traditional sequencer but if I get your drift it may (or may not) satisfy.

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    I just happened upon this article that describes a simple sequencer, and it's inexpensive. I don't own it or have experience with it but might be worth checking out.
    Steps: http://cdm.link/2017/05/steps-ios-sequencer-works-hand-sequences-hardware/

Steps is way too basic. I own it and I've not used it at all past the first 30 mins of playing with it.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    I just happened upon this article that describes a simple sequencer, and it's inexpensive. I don't own it or have experience with it but might be worth checking out.

Steps is way too basic. I own it and I've not used it at all past the first 30 mins of playing with it.

Same. Frustratingly limited.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

What's sad is it has so much potential. Even just giving us the ability for longer sequences or having multiple lanes with multi midi outs would make it a 100 times more useful.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

What's sad is it has so much potential. Even just giving us the ability for longer sequences or having multiple lanes with multi midi outs would make it a 100 times more useful.

Agree. And unlike others on the forum I really dig the iPhone centered design. Works well for me on the go!

• MidiSteps is worth a look - it's got a simple upfront interface, but does get more advanced with some Menu options. MidiSequencer is great, but doesn't have the "quick" interface you'd like - and via recent FB post it's going to be replaced by Quantum very soon.

• @AudioGus said:
    HMmmm, very soon KRFT will have midi out and be an option that you may be interested in. The beta is awesome. Not your traditional sequencer but if I get your drift it may (or may not) satisfy.

I'm looking forward to this one.

• Ok thanks for that- I didn't think I would get what I was after I shall have a go- starting with Midi Steps I think.

• MIDI Steps is one of my favorite apps but note that it doesn't have anything like a piano roll where you "can input notes". Along those lines, modulation automation is very much step based so no curves, etc.

Still, brilliant brilliant app. Though Modstep doesn't fit the 'easy' requirement (at first anyway), I think that's the sequencer you're looking for.

• Wish midi steps was universal!

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

Infinite looper might be worth a try. It's kind of like a slimmed down ModStep. It fits most of your requirements. It's maybe a little more complicated than you're looking for, but if you focus on just one track at a time it should be manageable.

The other area lacking just a little bit is the "few knobs and sliders" aspect. It does have configurable pads that can act like sliders for any midi cc. The only problem with them is they don't give any indication of your last touch position. This really limits their usefulness. The developer has added that into his Sidecar app, so hopefully IL will get the same treatment some day.

Also, I don't know if it records cc changes or not. Drawing and editing values is a breeze though.

What I do is host all my instruments in AUM, then disable the internal Synth/IAA for each channel and point each to AUM. Then I use AUM's Midi routing and filtering to get things to where I need them from there. IL can host IAA instruments, but since I want the flexibility of AUs and the power of AUMs mixer, it makes sense to put everything in there and just look at IL as the sequencer.

I hope that IL will get Audiobus 3 Midi capability at some point, but until then AUM is the ticket IMO.

It's a little bit ugly IMO, but it gets the job done and is universal.

As @gonekrazy3000 mentions, Modstep is a more powerful substitute in this type of a setup, but at the price of a steeper learning curve and more complexity.

All that said, better just suck it up and be prepared for some challenges and learning curve. The nice tidy little package you're looking for doesn't exist on iOS IMO.

(This is where the Genome fans step in and make their pitch. B) )

• P.S. I've recently been kicking the tires with BeatHawk (IAA or Standalone) in the place of IL/Modstep as a sequencer. It too can fill the role. It just doesn't have the "few knobs and faders" that you're looking for. But it's also is easy to draw in and edit automation. I don't know if it can record automation if used with an external controller or not. I'll have to try that one out.

One bonus with BeatHawk is it works with AUM's transport control whereas IL and Modstep don't afaik.

• Reporting back...
    The good news: BeatHawk records automation from an external controller just fine.
    The bad news: There's a know bug where all the CC's are sent only on channel 1. If I remember correctly a fix is on the way.

I'm liking BeatHawk better and better as a universal midi sequencer. Which is funny because contrary to others I never liked it as a music creation tool of itself. I deleted it no less than three times until the recent addition of MIdi out. Now it's growing on me more and more.

• @wim said:
    Reporting back...
    The good news: BeatHawk records automation from an external controller just fine.
    The bad news: There's a know bug where all the CC's are sent only on channel 1. If I remember correctly a fix is on the way.

I'm liking BeatHawk better and better as a universal midi sequencer. Which is funny because contrary to others I never liked it as a music creation tool of itself. I deleted it no less than three times until the recent addition of MIdi out. Now it's growing on me more and more.

Me too. Now that I know how to make chopped loops in BM2, I'm very much getting into its workflow. The midi editing is a little clunky, but quite good for iPhone.

• edited May 2017

@aaronpc said:

@wim said:
    Reporting back...

Me too. Now that I know how to make chopped loops in BM2, I'm very much getting into its workflow. The midi editing is a little clunky, but quite good for iPhone.

The hawk isn't shiny but it really can fly....

• Novation Circuit - if your open to non iOS

• @aaronpc said:

@wim said:
    Reporting back...

It takes how many taps to get into the step editor? A minor grievance given the other charms, I suppose.

You bring chopped loops from BM2 into BH?

• I love me modstep but I got stuck notes or glitches too often! Also, I really want a free record mode where I don't have to preset the clip length.

• @raindro said:
    Also, I really want a free record mode where I don't have to preset the clip length.

Word. Why is this utterly unheard of?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:

@wim said:
    Reporting back...

It takes how many taps to get into the step editor? A minor grievance given the other charms, I suppose.

You bring chopped loops from BM2 into BH?

Well, if you think getting into the step editor takes too many steps, then you're really not going to like the chopped loops thing, but yeah. You can make those loops for BH that stretch or map to the keyboard using BM2. I'd explain the process, but it really needs a tutorial video to be effective. Not my bag, but maybe @gmslayton would like to have a go?

• @aaronpc I can see what I can do once I fully understand the question. I just recently picked up BH so I am still figuring out everything and I haven't had BM2 installed in a while. but it seems like what you are saying is, chopping up a loop in BM2 and importing it into BH?

I was wondering if you could make your own .UFS instruments for BH.

• Thanks everyone I am now nibbling enthusiastically at the food for thought table