Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sonic Logic joins AB3 Midi bus

13»

Comments

• Also - Since nobody has mentioned it above - there's also the Sonic Logic Central app - which you can download here: soniclogicapps.com/downloads. When Sonic Logic is loaded in AB3 MIDI Slot - it will also open its Output Channel when connected via IDAM, or when connected via Ethernet (iPad -->CCK (2.4 Power + USB-to-Ethernet connector). I haven't tested the Bluetooth connectivity tho to see what those options are.

For me, as i requested above, I'd like SL to have drop down for Controllers that you could select which available MIDI ports it sends to whether AB3, or outside.

• Hi all, I'm adding in version 2.3 a Multi destination option for Audiobus.
    I really want Sonic Logic to be a complete solution that wouldn't require purchasing additional apps.
    The Multi destination option works on top of the current user interface, it maps MIDI channels to Audiobus channels with an option to set the destination MIDI to channel 1.
    Version 2.3 should come out in June.

@wim @Aud_iOS
    Cheers,
    Uri.

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic thanks for that. :)
    It means a lot around here when developers understand commit to the AB3 vision for simplifying Midi connections.
    The more I use SL the better I like it.

• Hi everyone, Sonic Logic 2.3 is out now and has some of the features request in this thread :)
    New features include:

• Importing and exporting files easily to Macs.
    • Multi Audiobus output support.
    • Long time transitions (up to 60 secs) with a new time editor.
    • Preview mode (easily map all your MIDI CCs)

Here's a quick walkthrough video of the new features:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WpECJjiy7NE

Cheers!
    Uri

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic

Is there a way to get a functional clip launcher with this app, for Bitwig and Ableton?

By functional I mean one where the clip launcher in the app gives you some feedback as to what clip is playing.

Usually this must be done with a separate script, installed into the DAW separately. Not an easy task for everyday users.

Assuming it can't, how about a clip launcher feature? Could be done by having a row of clips: A, B, C, etc. And when you tap clip A it toggles on and changes to another color to indicate clip A is playing. Then when you want to play the next clip you tap clip B which simultaneously toggles B on and A off, so that on screen in the app you would be able to see that B was playing.

Like I say normally you have to write separate script, but this would be an easy solution. For each track you could add one of these "Clip Launcher Rows" (for lack of a better name). Could maybe also allow the user to set the number clips in each row, and name each one. The main thing though would be to have the indicator that matched up with the DAW.

I hope that all made sense!

• @1P18 said:
    @Uri_Sonic_Logic

Is there a way to get a functional clip launcher with this app, for Bitwig and Ableton?

By functional I mean one where the clip launcher in the app gives you some feedback as to what clip is playing.

Usually this must be done with a separate script, installed into the DAW separately. Not an easy task for everyday users.

Assuming it can't, how about a clip launcher feature? Could be done by having a row of clips: A, B, C, etc. And when you tap clip A it toggles on and changes to another color to indicate clip A is playing. Then when you want to play the next clip you tap clip B which simultaneously toggles B on and A off, so that on screen in the app you would be able to see that B was playing.

Like I say normally you have to write separate script, but this would be an easy solution. For each track you could add one of these "Clip Launcher Rows" (for lack of a better name). Could maybe also allow the user to set the number clips in each row, and name each one. The main thing though would be to have the indicator that matched up with the DAW.

I hope that all made sense!

In short a "Clip Launcher" would be another object you could add, in the same way you can add an "X/Y Pad" or a "Slider", and it would have the characteristics I mentioned (toggling one clip on would toggle any others off, etc.).

I remember trying to build a clip launcher with Lemur and I think MIDI Designer a while back and while it could be done in Lemur it required coding which was beyond me.

• Hi @1P18
    Thanks for the feedback - as you correctly mentioned, getting some data back from specific DAWs requires scripting capabilities, and will probably also cause Sonic Logic to be specific for these DAWs.
    If I understood you correctly, your second idea is basically an array of buttons that only one button can be turned on at a given time so it could be used as a clip launcher with an indication of the selected clip.
    I've had this component written in very early alpha stages of Sonic Logic back in 2012 but had to scrap it due to development issues. I'm still tinkering with the thought though, the main problem I'm trying to solve in this context is whether this should be a button grouping feature, which would allow creating buttons and grouping them together with this logic or it should be a standalone component.
    I'll definitely put this idea on my wishlist for future versions.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

• rcfrcf
    edited July 2017

The new time editor for the timed transitions is a real bonus; everything I hoped it would be, with separate rise and fall times. Thanks Uri :)

PS. A cheeky request to make this feature even better: Would it be possible to have some visual feedback, or display of the changing cc values as they happen during a timed transition?

• Thanks @Uri_Sonic_Logic for the nice upgrade. Once understood, the AB3 options fit better with its workflow, and eliminate the channel splitter that was needed before. Simpler is better. B)

I really like Sonic Logic, and though some other Midi apps have more features, the simple usage and AB3 integration make it so that I actually use the app rather than dumping time into creating surfaces I abandon or never actually use.

Other apps seem to be able to show which AB3 Midi out instance they're using. This is handy for seeing what is going on in the AB3 setup. Midi LFOs is a good example of this. The way you have it is workabe, but would be clearer if you were able to implement something similar. I think labeled outputs is probably the more "standard" way of doing things in AB3.

Anyway, thanks for the great update and for your attention and support here.

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Hi @1P18
    I'm still tinkering with the thought though, the main problem I'm trying to solve in this context is whether this should be a button grouping feature, which would allow creating buttons and grouping them together with this logic or it should be a standalone component.

Making it a separate component would make it stand out as a feature:

Brand new Clip Launcher! :)

• Glad I purchased Sonic Logic; it's proving to be very useful.

I would love to be able to link note buttons together so that I can trigger multiple midi notes, or other simultaneous midi events, with just one button press.

Is there a way of controlling midi instruments/effects apps installed on one iOS device from Sonic Logic installed on a second iOS device? An iOS version of the Sonic Logic Central app installed on the second iOS device?

• @rcf I think you got a copy of my todo list, most of the things you requested are coming very soon :)
    1. Indications on timed transitions will be a part of a larger feature in version 2.4
    2. An iOS version of Sonic Logic Central is in late development stages and hopefully will be available this month.

@wim I'm planing of redesigning the connection panel as a complete board which will also allow better visibility and mapping of the Audiobus outputs.

@1p18 - Sounds good, I don't know if this feature can make it to version 2.4 but I'm adding it to the wishlist.

@rcf @wim @1p18 - Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really happy you like Sonic Logic and hope you are making awesome music with it.
    One small request - if you could write a review on the App store it would be much appreciated, these reviews help developers a lot.
    Thanks!
    Uri.

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic

I just downloaded Lemur again, and was reminded of the shortcomings if you don't know how to code. It's possible to get a rudimentary clip launcher in it without coding, but it's not really fully functional.

Thoughts that come to mind are: I'd definitely make it a separate component, and I'd suggest making a grid rather than a track as I suggested above, giving users the option to set the number of columns and rows. Then also giving an option to make one of the rows or columns a scene launcher.

This is one of the shortcomings of Lemur without coding. You can assign a scene launcher, but it doesn't act like a scene launcher because it doesn't effect all the tracks like it does in Bitwig or Ableton. I'm sure there's a relatively simply way to code this in, but that's where you step in to make the job easier for us. :)

As far as I know, no custom controller in the AppStore does this, so if you do go ahead and add this making it a separate component will make it stand out in that regard.

• Thanks again Uri; I'm excited by the prospect of 2.4. Will try and post a review soon.

I make a lot of ambient guitar patches in AUM using multiple parallel effects. iPulsaret is usually in there somewhere; it allows you to map midi cc to pitch-bend. I'm having fun using a Sonic Logic timed transition button to trigger a tone down auto pitch-bend. There's usually plenty of time when playing slow ambient stuff, to use my picking hand to quickly tap the Sonic Logic button, but it would be even better if I could do this hands free. A Sonic Logic button could perhaps 'midi learn' and receive one midi cc number from a hardware midi controller, before remapping it and sending it on its way with the cc number set in SL? I could then tap my Audiofront ME footswitch, which would trigger the Sonic Logic timed transition button. The SL button would then pass its cc number as a timed transition to iPulsaret for example. Foot triggered one directional auto pitch-bends would be a lovely thing ;-)

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

I need to tag is, while I try out learn if I need this or MIDI Designer Pro 2, or both or something different :wink: