Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sonic Logic joins AB3 Midi bus

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@eustressor said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Need. Sesame Street. Video. Teaching. Intro. Tute. Simple. Helping. Etc.

You and me both, good sir. Mrs. Eustressor was very generous on my birthday, so, for once I actually have money to toss at some kind of MIDI-maker-thingie.

Except I think I only understood 40% of the above conversation ...

I was at about 20% (which sounds right, you're at least twice as smart as me), but then I bought the thing and am now hovering in the early teens....need a walk through more bad than a toddler in a booby-trapped knife factory etc.

I'm going to have video stuff going in a few months! But in the meantime, lmk if I can answer anything :)

• @Ocsprey said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@eustressor said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Need. Sesame Street. Video. Teaching. Intro. Tute. Simple. Helping. Etc.

You and me both, good sir. Mrs. Eustressor was very generous on my birthday, so, for once I actually have money to toss at some kind of MIDI-maker-thingie.

Except I think I only understood 40% of the above conversation ...

I was at about 20% (which sounds right, you're at least twice as smart as me), but then I bought the thing and am now hovering in the early teens....need a walk through more bad than a toddler in a booby-trapped knife factory etc.

I'm going to have video stuff going in a few months! But in the meantime, lmk if I can answer anything :)

Appreciate both bits of that :)

• edited May 2017

Hi everyone,

There are some video resources here:

(It's a 10 video playlist so if it only shows a single video you can also access it here by selecting "playlists")
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk73ZKCjtV0uPfxRybpcWpA

Also, AfroDJMac did a nice video walkthrough of Sonic Logic 4 years ago, it's a bit outdated but the essence is the same I think -

To answer some of your questions:
    1. SL doesn't have a way of defining step values for a button (yet...)
    2. Buttons can be setup as toggle or momentary with assignable on - off values.
    3. Saving and Loading templates is easy (I think), you can also import and export templates through the standard iOS controls (airdrop, mail, notes etc...), Importing can be done by opening a "sociologic" file, or by dragging a file via iTunes to the app folder. In version 2.3 importing and exporting will also be possible via Sonic Logic Central making the process a bit easier.

I'm here for any questions you might have :)

Uri.

• Hi

Is there a possibility to generate random values of controllers via a one button action in SL (as TBMidiStuff) ?

Thanks

• Not at the moment but I'll add it to the wishlist... @Cristus

Uri.

• Nice
    Thamks

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic Thanks for the vids. Will study.

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:

Uri.

Thanks Uri. How do you MIDI?

Well, more specifically, my primary use case would be controlling iOS apps, probably on another device. Loopers, Guitar sims, AUM ... I'm usually a pretty quick learner. How user friendly do you think your app is for folks who will mostly just trying to turn things on and off, select patches, mute and unmute AUM, adjust the faders on AUM ... For instance, would apps with Midi Learn be as easy to hook up to a custom board in Sonic Logic as they are to hardware controllers?

• @eustressor said:

@Uri_Sonic_Logic said:

Uri.

Well, more specifically, my primary use case would be controlling iOS apps, probably on another device. Loopers, Guitar sims, AUM ... I'm usually a pretty quick learner. How user friendly do you think your app is for folks who will mostly just trying to turn things on and off, select patches, mute and unmute AUM, adjust the faders on AUM ... For instance, would apps with Midi Learn be as easy to hook up to a custom board in Sonic Logic as they are to hardware controllers?

Good question(s).

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

Does Sonic Logic send or receive Midi clock? If so, can time based controls, be linked to bpm (beats and fractions thereof)? Any chance of Link support at some point?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@eustressor said:

@Uri_Sonic_Logic said:

Uri.

Good question(s).

I'll chime in. You open Sonic Logic blank template - Click Add - Choose a Button/Fader/Knob/ or X,Y Pad. So if you want a basic 0-127 Fader, you'd just Select Fader, then drag it on the GUI where you want, and drag it out to the size you want. If you want to do further editing, you just double tap the Fader when it's in Edit mode - then you can change its color, invert or set the fader range, Label it with text, and select whether to show its value or not - there's several Preset options for Momentary Controllers, Faders that Snap to the Middle... and others. For MIDI learning apps - you can put the App in MIDI Learn Mode, toggle back to SL, and move the controller - or in Edit mode you can tap the Broadcast Button, which also allows the receiving app to pick up the value - since its on the AB3 MIDI Bus - you can control anything you can reach on the FX/Output Slots, or use Core MIDI Adapter/Network Sessions etc. It's got BT-Midi, Virtual, Core, AB3 - all with indicator lights to show where the MIDI is going. You can duplicate any controller, with or without its MIDI Values, and have multiple screens.You can save/share presets via Open In options.

Far as I know, it doesn't handle clock/link - or Program Change. Hope this helps.

• Thanks. Too bad about no timing source. That kinda limits the usefulness of time based controls. Oh well, gotta have it anyway I guess. Here goes...

• @wim said:
    Thanks. Too bad about no timing source. That kinda limits the usefulness of time based controls. Oh well, gotta have it anyway I guess. Here goes...

Yep, at this point it's straight control surface. Parat+ has Link and a ton of modulation control, but it's only fader banks, and not a design tool. Midi Designer Pro and the other designers don't have Link either (MDP has deep design options like Roland Checksums and stuff like that, Lemur, Osc... But still plenty of room for a modular type control surface with quick options for rest of Midi messages, Osc, and automations. I'd really like to see an AU Control surface mappable to its host and/or external surfaces - with AB3-Remote Midi, that would be good utility, and fun. I'm hoping Sonic Logic will run with it, and think it's a great development both for, and resulting from, AB3.

• @Ocsprey said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@eustressor said:

@Uri_Sonic_Logic said:

Uri.

Good question(s).

I'll chime in. You open Sonic Logic blank template - Click Add - Choose a Button/Fader/Knob/ or X,Y Pad. So if you want a basic 0-127 Fader, you'd just Select Fader, then drag it on the GUI where you want, and drag it out to the size you want. If you want to do further editing, you just double tap the Fader when it's in Edit mode - then you can change its color, invert or set the fader range, Label it with text, and select whether to show its value or not - there's several Preset options for Momentary Controllers, Faders that Snap to the Middle... and others. For MIDI learning apps - you can put the App in MIDI Learn Mode, toggle back to SL, and move the controller - or in Edit mode you can tap the Broadcast Button, which also allows the receiving app to pick up the value - since its on the AB3 MIDI Bus - you can control anything you can reach on the FX/Output Slots, or use Core MIDI Adapter/Network Sessions etc. It's got BT-Midi, Virtual, Core, AB3 - all with indicator lights to show where the MIDI is going. You can duplicate any controller, with or without its MIDI Values, and have multiple screens.You can save/share presets via Open In options.

Far as I know, it doesn't handle clock/link - or Program Change. Hope this helps.

Mucho appreciado, @Ocsprey - I'm just certain at some time, some place, I could really use a custom 10 dollar Midi controller on an iPad :wink:

• edited May 2017

Mucho appreciado, @Ocsprey - I'm just certain at some time, some place, I could really use a custom 10 dollar Midi controller on an iPad :wink:

You got it brotha! https://youtu.be/Ivhcgskr4Yc

• Thanks @Ocsprey for the awesome and detailed answers!
    Yes at the moment Sonic Logic doesn't have MIDI in - this is mainly because of the bluetooth connection feature but it's on the feature list. I'll let you all know when it does.
    Meanwhile version 2.2.2. update is out and 2.2.3 update is waiting for Apple's approval, both fixing minor issues.

• @Uri_Sonic_Logic Posible to create a selectable number of controllers? Like 8 of the same faders etc.

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

You can always create one, duplicate it, group the two, duplicate that, group the four, and duplicate to get eight. Or create one and duplicate seven times if that's too complicated. A two-finger drag duplicates a component all in one step.

And, you can edit groups once you select them.

Duplicate:
    Group Edit:
    Working with Groups:

• @wim Are you finding this useful/useable beyond the fun of Lego-ing things together? Sincere question.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @wim Are you finding this useful/useable beyond the fun of Lego-ing things together? Sincere question.

Short answer: I think so, for one main reason: AudioBus3 capability.

It's less full featured than others I've tried such as MidiOSC, TB Midi Stuff, TC-Data, and Lemur. Being a total geek that gets me down a little. My personal favorite until now has been TB Midi Stuff. It strikes a great balance between amazing power and simplicity / practicality. I have reoccurring fantasies of building great master surfaces to do all kinds of things. I never end up using them becuase the process of setting them up, making all the midi connections each time, switching back and forth between my surface and whatever else I'm doing bugs me and throws me off my groove.

SL is a nicely executed app - easy enough to understand, and with lots of very helpful features. For instance, when you duplicate a control, such as a midi note button, it very thoughtfully automatically sets the next note, places it neatly beside the other one, all lined up and everything. Select and duplicate those and it is smart enough to assign the next two notes and align both right where you'd expect. It's just super quick and ... well ... thoughtfully designed.

But, it offers only basic CC's and notes. You can't do things like transport controls and pitch bend. You can't have one control affect other controls. There's no midi clock to govern the time-based controls. No midi in for And ... no manual, just some short videos. That one irks me. Y'all seem to like watching video's around here. I'd rather chew on a manual. But, in the end, not much of either is really needed. It's a pretty straightforward program.

So, yes, I think I will end up using this. App switching, AB3 midi routing and filters, and state saving put it over the top and make me think I'll get some use out of it beyond just indulging my nerdiness.

===================

P.S. As I wrote this, I remembered once again that gem I always seem to forget about - SideCar. Except for no XY pads, that one is is real handy too. I wonder why I don't use it more?

• edited May 2017

@wim I really appreciate you taking the time. Helpful, insightful, and I learned a lot....

• Any time. B)

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

Two big things lacking

• No program change controls for changing presets on those apps that support it.
    • Only a single AB3 Midi port. Unlike MIdiLFOs, which has one output for each LFO, there is only one output. This means that you couldn't put it in front of two AUs without sending all the output to both. It can still be done by putting the AUs in AUM and filtering by midi channel there. But that's more kludgy than I'm happy with.

I still like it, and will probably use it some, but It's not all that I had hoped for as a super Midi control surface within AB3.

• @wim said:
    Two big things lacking

• No program change controls for changing presets on those apps that support it.
    • Only a single AB3 Midi port. Unlike MIdiLFOs, which has one output for each LFO, there is only one output. This means that you couldn't put it in front of two AUs without sending all the output to both. It can still be done by putting the AUs in AUM and filtering by midi channel there. But that's more kludgy than I'm happy with.

I still like it, and will probably use it some, but It's not all that I had hoped for as a super Midi control surface within AB3.

Yep - I put in the request for program change. But as for Outputs, each control can be on any Midi Channel - so you do have 1-16 for outputs, for any control. You can always route any one/group of those to Core MF-Adapter or another channel with more outputs, so you can control quite a few in this way.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@wim said:
    Two big things lacking

Yep - I put in the request for program change. But as for Outputs, each control can be on any Midi Channel - so you do have 1-16 for outputs, for any control. You can always route any one/group of those to Core MF-Adapter or another channel with more outputs, so you can control quite a few in this way.

Not for AUs directly hosted in AB3, unless I'm missing something. Since as far as I know, there isn't any AB3 Midi channel filter that can go between SL and an output, what I'm hoping for is something like this (where each Midi channel would be a separate out like the blue, red, green, and grey outputs below). I'll request this, program change, and pitch bend directly of @Uri_Sonic_Logic as well.

• @wim said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@wim said:
    Two big things lacking

Not for AUs directly hosted in AB3, unless I'm missing something. Since as far as I know, there isn't any AB3 Midi channel filter that can go between SL and an output, what I'm hoping for is something like this (where each Midi channel would be a separate out like the blue, red, green, and grey outputs below). I'll request this, program change, and pitch bend directly of @Uri_Sonic_Logic as well.

You can use a Network Session as receiver on the SL Receiver Channel, then route from there to other AB3 Busses. Each Network Session has 16 Channels, or Omni. Of course outside of AB3 young can use SL as Core Midi, with Virtual, or BT, and then use that as input to AB3 via MF-Adapter etc. might be some other ways, can't experiment until I'm back online at home in a few days.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    You can use a Network Session as receiver on the SL Receiver Channel, then route from there to other AB3 Busses.

Not if it's in as an AB3 Midi input. Midi can only go through AudioBus that way afaik.
    Sure you can do just about anything if you load it outside AB3. The attraction is in having it inside as an AB3 sender. But apparently a Midiflow channel filter is coming very soon, so that will make it workable within AB3.

• Update: @JohannesD just released a Midiflow Channels, which no allows me to filter for just the channels I want for each receiver. As a test, I made a single page with pads for Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM, two octave keyboard for Troublemaker, and three octave keyboard for Redshrike. Four apps playable from one surface. Kinda cool. Don't know if I'll use it, but I'm tickled that I can. B)

• @wim said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    You can use a Network Session as receiver on the SL Receiver Channel, then route from there to other AB3 Busses.

Not if it's in as an AB3 Midi input. Midi can only go through AudioBus that way afaik.
    Sure you can do just about anything if you load it outside AB3. The attraction is in having it inside as an AB3 sender. But apparently a Midiflow channel filter is coming very soon, so that will make it workable within AB3.

Cool - will be grabbing that tool soon! You can use the Network Session as I described above. Or if you have an iConnect, it can be used the same way as input/output. One other AB3 way is to put the receiving app in Midi-Learn Mode, and then broadcast the individual controllers from SL.